• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People don’t appreciate how much work goes into Call of Duty, argues former boss Glen Schofield

mansoor1980

giphy.gif
GLEN has always been there for the CALL OF DUTY , yet we gamers deny him the MEDAL OF HONOR

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just the Zombies stuff alone in Cold War is an impressive amount of content and creativity.

Do Activision gouge the hell out of the fanbase, absolutely. But, there's actually a ton of content in there and being even-handed its unquestionably a very creditworthy package both in volume and range/quality of stuff.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Apparently it’s cool to shit on CoD but it’s still among the best in the industry with production values not many games can match

GeekyDad

CompetentParallelColt-size_restricted.gif

So, the $70 or more, plus more than that in DLC costs isn't a show of appreciation? Wow, man...that's entitlement you just don't see on a more monumental, comedic scale.

Good shit...

Braag

CoD is like bubblegum in game form, disposable. There's always more with a slightly different flavor, yet in the end it will end up tasting the same.

rofif

Banned
I like the campaigns.
Surprisingly I realy liked Ghost and especially Black Ops 3 as it tried something else.
Te funny thing is, I hated these two entries originally... but I replayed ALL campaigns last year and these stood out

Yeah , a lot of work went into making popcorn machine guns , I appreciate the campaigns but every time , I find silly things in the new cod , that's just a fact .

Last edited:

Aion002

I like CoD campaigns.* I like it a lot! So... Thanks... I guess? Wait! I paid for it... So... You're welcome! Keep up the good work?

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

*Minus Black Ops 3... It was terrible! Fuck the Frozen Forest!

Umbasaborne

Banned
I agree. The games are always great. Even the “bad ones” are still good shooters. People dont like cod because they are edge lords and are worried about losing “gamer cred” if they admit to enjoying call of duty.

The original Homefront tried that as well. Children getting shot in front of their parents being a strong image that exactly shows how gruesome the act of war really is.
Sadly the vast majority of Homefront was still your typical military shooter affair with a lot of action and almost no consequence.

I'll give the new Modern Warfare a try.
Like I said, it's still Call of Duty. You still get the military shooter stuff. But it was absolutely full of stuff I never expected I would see in a video game, let alone CoD.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like the games and I have spent money on them for over a decade now. They aren’t sad though and in most war stories - there’s typically something that’s heartbreaking or suspenseful. It’s almost like they are influenced by real life military stuff, but they only put in super human type of characters and stuff that is likely not going to happen in real life. RC cars, trip wires, air raids, etc etc. I’d say they must enjoy the small vacation they get for the inspiration of the game. I think they work very hard making it a good shooter, but I just don’t feel like it’s a good representation of what wars or the military are actually like. I don’t honestly think it tries to sell itself that way. I don’t exactly think people are moved by CoD to join the military either.

Mr Moose

It's really hard for them to re-re-re-release old maps.
Even without a campaign they'll release old maps and call them "fan favourites".

tassletine

I do.

I used to think like that, after I got bored with the series all those years ago, but then I played the most recent installment of MW when it came free with a machine. It was superb. Much, much better than I was expecting.

dcmk7

Banned
The production values are always very high and polished.

They never seem to phone it in.

I'm not a fan of the series but can certainly appreciate the effort that goes into each installment.

recursive

Agreed.

Gamers know so little about what goes into making a game but are always so loud about shit they don't understand.

The latest craze is "crunch" and how much of a big "no no" it is.
Do people give a shit about the automotive engineers working 60+ hour weeks to get the next model year out? They just buy their cars and move on. Consumers just want the end product to work. "Gamers" are no different.

Did Call of Duty WWII require as much research as World at War? As CoD3? As CoD2? As CoD1? Is he really saying every World War 2 game required the same amount of research? What, they just start from zero and sicard all the work they've done before? Come on now.

CoD is simple, arcade fun and has definitely earned its place as a popular franchise. They are solid games that most anyone can pick up and enjoy. But let's not pretend they're masterpieces of creative minds. They're all made according to blueprints that have stayed almost the same for over a decade now. I'm sure the people working on them really care about their game, and try to make them fresh and interesting, but the same can be said for the people coming up with new McDonald's menu items.

MikeM

I like the campaigns.
Surprisingly I realy liked Ghost and especially Black Ops 3 as it tried something else.
Te funny thing is, I hated these two entries originally... but I replayed ALL campaigns last year and these stood out

I really enjoy campaigns too. Advanced Warfare was actually one of the most fun I've have in a COD single player game (obviously not the most realistic).

Droxcy

For real, what the fuck? "I got to travel to all these badass places and shoot sweet guns while getting paid hella cash."

Thoughts, prayers, etc.

Exactly lol. Got to travel on the companies dime and do cool shit then have other people do the work of importing it and making it.

Yet players see run and gun and die and don’t even care about that stuff. CoD is just rinse and repeat modify weapon data from previous games and rework map layouts and movement mechanics.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly lol. Got to travel on the companies dime and do cool shit then have other people do the work of importing it and making it.

Yet players see run and gun and die and don’t even care about that stuff. CoD is just rinse and repeat modify weapon data from previous games and rework map layouts and movement mechanics.
So true.

Then again, it's video games. Companies sure spend a lot of budget on graphics and art details 99% wont even notice, when gameplay and net code are key for fun.

You never know, maybe some random slabs of concrete in COD WWII are ultra realistic like some WWII ruins still in Europe. And Schofield's team just did the best rotoscope whatever on it. It's literally the best chunk of broken concrete ever in a game.

I hope art teams arent doing exaggerated shit like that eating up budget and manpower.

Last edited:

Fbh

What more appreciation do people have to show other than consistently making it one of the if not THE best selling game of any given year?

But anyway, I guess to some point I agree. I don't buy COD yearly, but on the years when I do it's usually a well made, fun and content rich package.

MastaKiiLA

People won't appreciate it when your release schedule maintains a similar tempo to annual crapfests like Madden. However, COD does appear to be a higher-quality product in comparison. But with that many iterations in a franchise, outside observers can't help but come away thinking that it's just a bunch of reskins parading as updates.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People won't appreciate it when your release schedule maintains a similar tempo to annual crapfests like Madden. However, COD does appear to be a higher-quality product in comparison. But with that many iterations in a franchise, outside observers can't help but come away thinking that it's just a bunch of reskins parading as updates.
Agreed.

Thats why Activision tries to wipe out the repetition with 3 different settings of games on a rotation. From each setting, most of the guns and perks and attachments are the same. The biggest difference from game to game is the maps. And even that is muddied with rehashed classic maps being released instead of more new maps.

Imagine what sales and interest would be if it was solely MW and we on MW12 by now. No doubt sales would be less. I know I wouldnt buy 14 COD MW games in a row no matter how much I loved COD back in the day.

As for EA, FIFA sales seem to sell great every year, so some reason that franchise holds. I dont play FIFA, so maybe the annual innovations(?) keep up interest, but I think every other EA game have nosedived in sales for a long time. NHL sells way less, NBA doesn't even release, and neither does boxing or golf. I dont think UFC games sell a ton either. And I dont think Madden sells as many copies as before (might be wrong though).

Thats why mtx is so important.

Last edited:
Top Bottom