• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People have started Comparing No Man's Sky with Starfield

Is Starfield, No Man's Sky 2.0?

• Yes

Votes: 192 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 12.4%
  • Starfield Looks Better

Votes: 128 26.0%
  • Twitter & IGN are crazy. These are two completely different games.

Votes: 111 22.6%

• Total voters
I most definitely tried it sadly and not many years ago either. It's literaly like comparing Tomb Raider 96' with Uncharted 4. In tiny still images where you can't see or feel the trash tier gameplay it doesn't look that bad.
I don't mind you being negative on the game, feel free to rip it apart. It's easier though to just use facts, not fiction. It weakens your argument otherwise.

Why double down? It doesn't have on-rails flying. Again it's so easy to criticize NMS, but you're doing it all wrong.
Really you gonna double down? Try taking of from planet like in Star citizen. It's not just flight mechanics that fell like from some indie ps2 game , but everything else too from walking, shooting, any action is terrible.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think they definitely took inspiration from NMS and I'm all for it if it's a good system. The scanning and mining are what stood out to me, but I couldn't say how much else is directly borrowed.

CitizenZ

Banned
BGS used to be at the front line of innovation, exploration, discovery, now they are just IMO another one. Build, craft, explore, etc. yadda, yadda, yadda been doing that for yrs now. I will play the game make no mistake, as all others with similar thoughts, but if you actually play games like Star Citizen, Everspace 2, recently Shipbreaker, Planet Crafter, Astroneer, NMS, and dozens of others there just wasnt anything shown we havent done or seen before. Thats the difference. Again looks cool like everything but nothing special. Actually more excited for the FO76 Pitt expansion, but thats me.

bitbydeath

Really you gonna double down? Try taking of from planet like in Star citizen. It's not just flight mechanics that fell like from some indie ps2 game , but everything else too from walking, shooting, any action is terrible.
The flight mechanics are one of the best parts of NMS, it’s not on rails and taking off feels amazing, if I were to criticise anything in that area it would be the dog fights, although it may have been improved since I last played.

I really don’t think you played NMS and have memories of something else.

okay-sure.gif

But who gets the "Molyneux Game Overhyping Award" ? Sean Murray or Todd Howard ?

Jokes aside, that's a dumb comparison. It's really apples and oranges. Starfield looks far closer to Fallout or Skyrim in space. It has the space exploration and base building similar to NMS, but really it's not the same kind of games at all.
I don't think it's the "look" ppl are saying looks similar, it's the mechanics. And most of the ppl seeing this are casuals and don't really know that NMS has little story. I think they're literally looking at what the characters are doing and they just happen to find the footage with a mech too. I can't blame a casual for thinking this tho, they see a space dude with a similar style of mining, there's a mech, there is a ship you jump in and you travel from planet to planet and terrible combat LOL

Shit... Sean or Todd, that's a HARD question LOL I think Todd, only cause he has a history of over promising! He just stood there and said "Over 1000 planets and you can land anywhere..." which is probably true, but how much content is on each planet? how many points of interest will there be? Are they unique? I can't imagine that being the case, only because of the man hours that would take... it would be "Tremendous" (Trump voice)

Last edited:

RPSleon

I think maybe you dont know what is meant by "on rails". Thats why i think you both feel right, because you understand that differently.

I wouldn't be surprised if No Man's Sky sees a massive jump in sales on PS consoles leading up to the release of Starfield. People are going to learn to cope one way or another. Just gotta accept that Starfield is an Xbox and PC experience only.

Catphish

I need a 'maybe' option.

It seems pretty obvious that Starfield is borrowing elements from NMS, but I doubt the two will have too much in common aside from those elements.

NMS is procedurally generated with billions of planets a player will only see a miniscule fraction of. Starfield looks more deliberately crafted. That fundamental difference is enough to separate them.

NMS is largely aimless, with a basic, tacked-on narrative. The player essentially creates their own story. Starfield, probably, will have a much better story and narrative focus.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it definitely seems inspired by it.

i couldn't get into NMS as much as i tried. i've been desperate for a good space game. tried elite dangerous. seems this will be a mix of both.

the other game that was shown was more of a NMS rip off. can't remember the name of it. i legit thought it was going to be a NMS 2 announcement :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AlexxKidd

I played No Man's Sky extensively so I noticed it right away as soon as the Starfield character started using what's referred to in No Man's Sky as the Mining Tool. They basically just stole your entire game Mr. Sean Murray lol.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
it is like saying GOW and hz are almost the same game because there are some similarities.
First of all there is not many space games.
Second - all games you've listed basically same game TO ME. (I'm Souls fan and I don't care about story at all)

Similarities between NMS and Starfield are oblivious.

Jennings

While they do seem like identical games, with Starfield benefitting from the inclusion of Fallout 76-style quests peppered in, No Man's Sky came out 6 years ago. With no NMS sequel announced thus far I am more than happy to play a bigger-budget AAA spiritual successor created by one of the bigger names in RPGs and exploration.

The more the merrier.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I mean, I get that No Man's Sky is the closest reference point available for most folks, but to say they're all that similar is a little reaching. Starfield is an RPG with a proper narrative, large NPC settlements, proper gunplay and combat, a full RPG skill system, and an entirely different approach to its science-fiction world. The overlap between the two is just the overlap between any space exploration games: you're exploring space.

Ngl, but when I first saw starfield it was definitely ringing me the nms vibe and after rewatching the trailer one more time I can say for sure that my perception of it being a more glorified nms has not been changed. I’m glad you all are hyped for this shit but it still screams i don’t need an xbox or pc for me

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not surprised by the comparisons, it does look very similar in a lot of aspects. But I think anyone jumping into StarField and expecting NMS will be disappointed (or maybe pleasantly surprised). I don’t expect the games to feel very similar at all when actually playing.

Wohc

Banned
There are so many games with more "similarities" out there. Horizon/BOTW/GoT and many more games have lots of Ubisoft or Tomb Raider elements, Spiderman is almost a recolored Batman, Cities Skylines<-> Sim City and so on.

You can see how big the impact of Stafield was when they are trying to reduce Starfield to that boring grindfest. Does Starfield have some No Man Sky elements? Yes, but i wouldn't compare those games at all.

Esca

I got major No Man Sky vibe watching it, which is a pity as I just cannot get into the game.
Hoping it prices me wrong in the next year or so

Quantum253

Coping with the fact that I get to play the game in less than a year at no additional cost to me? Yeah, you're right, hard to digest the value GamePass has given me.
There's a lot of games mentioned that I personally wouldn't want to put time in, but there's were also games that I was surprised were going to be day 1 GP. I stop playing on Xbox after the 360, but Game Pass is something that might make me jump back into the Xbox ecosystem ( I don't game on PC so it'd be investing in the Series X).

whyman

Why no “no man’s sky look better option?”

TBH the only thing Starfield “wins” in is skills, story and dialog but that didnt even look very good for an RPG. Really generic.

ZywyPL

Banned
The similarities are obviously there, but Starfield is an actual RPG, plus looks way more towards mature audience instead of you typical family friendly title like NMS does.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Starfield will be fallout in space and a million times better than no man's sky.

Saying that, I can see the similarities....space suits for space people....scanning fauna......collecting minerals etc to build...there is similarities but starfield looks legit incredible...no man's sky was far from it.

Top Bottom