• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People - help! I've connected my TV to an A/V Receiver via HDMI and activated ARC, but I cannot get 'true' 5.1 on windows!!

Nickolaidas

Okay, here's the thing - you may remember me having problems with 5.1 and optical cables in the past because I didn't have an A/R Receiver HDMI ARC capable. I now have one and my PS4 plays 5.1 flawlessly via my TV.

However, my PC DOES NOT have 5.1 sound as an option when I go to Sound Settings and tell my PC to get sound from the TV - it only has stereo as an option when connecting the PC sound to my LG TV. The only way to get 5.1 surround is to install old Realtek drivers and then connect the PC DIRECTLY to the A/V Receiver via an optical cable.

Unfortunately, when I activate HDMI ARC, the optical slot does not work (the manual itself states this - it's one of those A/V Receivers which is basically a glorified Blu Ray player with slots for the speakers).

Which means that if I want my future PS5 and my PC to be connected with my A/V Receiver at the same time, it can only happen with HDMI ARC.

So, does anyone know of a way to get 5.1 surround sound on my PC by connecting it via HDMI to my TV, and the TV being connected to the A/V Receiver via HDMI ARC?

Okay, here's the thing - you may remember me having problems with 5.1 and optical cables in the past because I didn't have an A/R Receiver HDMI ARC capable. I now have one and my PS4 plays 5.1 flawlessly via my TV.

However, my PC DOES NOT have 5.1 sound as an option when I go to Sound Settings and tell my PC to get sound from the TV - it only has stereo as an option when connecting the PC sound to my LG TV. The only way to get 5.1 surround is to install old Realtek drivers and then connect the PC DIRECTLY to the A/V Receiver via an optical cable.

Unfortunately, when I activate HDMI ARC, the optical slot does not work (the manual itself states this - it's one of those A/V Receivers which is basically a glorified Blu Ray player with slots for the speakers).

Which means that if I want my future PS5 and my PC to be connected with my A/V Receiver at the same time, it can only happen with HDMI ARC.

So, does anyone know of a way to get 5.1 surround sound on my PC by connecting it via HDMI to my TV, and the TV being connected to the A/V Receiver via HDMI ARC?
Does your PC actually support surround sound? Most PC's support only stereo sound. You may have to install a new sound card before you can get surround sound. If you're using a laptop you most likely are stuck with stereo unless you upgrade it with a USB Sound card unless your laptop has built in Atmos.

I'm not too much of a sound person, this is just some general knowledge about how I set up my desktop years ago and I noticed that it didn't have a soundcard supporting 5.1.

Kuranghi

I think its a limitation of how LG TVs pass LPCM through ARC, and the PC doesn't want to send regular PCM so you end up with Stereo. Maybe this can help? Its old though:

ErRor88

Does your PC actually support surround sound? Most PC's support only stereo sound. You may have to install a new sound card before you can get surround sound. If you're using a laptop you most likely are stuck with stereo unless you upgrade it with a USB Sound card unless your laptop has built in Atmos.

I'm not too much of a sound person, this is just some general knowledge about how I set up my desktop years ago and I noticed that it didn't have a soundcard supporting 5.1.

Most devices today have support for 5.1 and 7.1. You just need to enable it in the sound manager and or sound app.

Kuranghi

If you don't enough inputs on the receiver, then I think the best bet to avoid hassle is just to get an HDMI Switch, like this one:

It auto switches based on input so you dont even need the remote unless you're leaving the PS5 on when you go back to use the PC.

Boglin

The reason your PC isn't getting surround sound is that it's not smart enough to see past the EDID of your TV and thinks stereo speakers are the only thing that is available.

Some people have had success fixing the problem by using a program to pull the their TV or monitor's EDID info then override it with the sound settings your TV is capable of sending over ARC.

I never had any success however and my solution ended up to run a second HDMI cable from the on-board graphics to the AV receiver and routed the audio through it.

Ulysses 31

I suspect your AVR can't handle 5.1/7.1 LPCM, only 2.0. How are you getting 5.1 with PS4? Dolby/DTS? That's compressed audio.

Nickolaidas

XXhDAKy.jpg
M5nZcza.jpg

Ulysses 31

Hmm, what is LPCM? I can get 5.1 surround on my A/V Receiver if I connect it to my PC via optical cable.
LPCM is uncompressed audio, optical, dolby digital, dts(all legacy now btw I think) is compressed(lossy) audio.

I don't have much experience with AVRs but soundbars like the Sonos Arc can handle 5.1/7.1 LPCM audio from PC as well as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via eARC HDMI from the TV.

I assume the newer AVRs with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X usually can handle surround LPCM audio too.

Last edited:

Boglin

LPCM 5.1/7.1 is lossless audio which neither optical nor ARC support

With your setup, it sounds like your options are an HDMI switch or you can attempt to override the EDID of your TV to show that it supports 5.1 DTS or Dolby Digital.

You can see in your screenshot where is says "Max Number of Channels: 2".

That is where the issue is. Your computer can only see the 2 physical speakers your TV has built into it so that's the audio option it gives you. Your PC is unaware your that TV is capable of forwarding the sound over ARC to an AV receiver so it hides the option to send compressed surround sound. Unlike a console.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Your TV only supports 2 chennels. You need to pass the signal through or to a device that supports 5.1 and above.
No. I get 5.1 when I connect my TV (HDMI ARC) with my PS4. I tested it in Dark Souls and Horizon by rotating the camera in a bonfire and the fire goes through all four speakers, one at a time, unlike in my PC where it is heard on all four speakers, at the SAME time.

Also, my LG is 5.1 capable, I googled it.

Nickolaidas

That is where the issue is. Your computer can only see the 2 physical speakers your TV has built into it so that's the audio option it gives you. Your PC is unaware your that TV is capable of forwarding the sound over ARC to an AV receiver and hides the option to send compressed surround sound. Unlike a console.
I agree with you. So how do I fix it? What is this EDID you are talking about, and how do I change it to make my PC realize my LG is 5.1 capable?

Nickolaidas

Unless ... wait ... could it be that the HDMI 3rd slot which I use for my PC is not 5.1 capable? And only the first two HDMI slots are?

... be back in a gippie.

recursive

No. I get 5.1 when I connect my TV (HDMI ARC) with my PS4. I tested it in Dark Souls and Horizon by rotating the camera in a bonfire and the fire goes through all four speakers, one at a time, unlike in my PC where it is heard on all four speakers, at the SAME time.

5.1 capable with dolby or dts, not LPCM. You will need to install an encoder on your pc that overrides the default LPCM out via your nvidia video card.

Nickolaidas

Nah, didn't work. Stereo in the 1st HDMI slot as well.

5.1 capable with dolby or dts, not LPCM. You will need to install an encoder on your pc that overrides the default LPCM out via your nvidia video card.
Where do I find this encoder?

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

Yeah thats not true at all.

Boglin

I agree with you. So how do I fix it? What is this EDID you are talking about, and how do I change it to make my PC realize my LG is 5.1 capable?
I'll just paste my old notes for when I was going through the same issue.

-Use a piece of software called 'MonInfo' (it's free) to save the monitor or TV info as a .bin file.

-Use 'Analog Way EDID editor' (also free) to edit the number of speakers and speaker placement then save the .bin file.

-Open the edited .bin file with MonInfo and save as a .inf file.

-Jump through hoops to turn off Windows driver signing (search there are plenty of ways).

-Install the .inf file as a driver using the 'Have Disk' method.

-Restart.

-Open the Sound playback properties and select 5.1 .

-Re-enable driver signing and restart again.

-Pray your surround sound works.

You can probably google some better instructions easily.

This would be by far the best option if possible.

ethomaz

Banned
ARC only pass thought 5.1 Dolby or DTS... PCM only stereo.
Said that most TVs doesn't even pass-thought 5.1 Dolby or DTS via ARC but you tested so yours have no issue with that.... it lies on your PC output signal.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

This ain't the 90's bro.

ethomaz

Banned

It is because your PS4 is sending Dolby or DTS 5.1... with PCM is impossible to pass more than stereo with HDMI-ARC.... that is why they created the eARC.

You need to make sure your PC is sending Dolby or DTS to get 5.1... if not you will only get Stereo.
Try to force your PC to send to your TV an Dolby 5.1 signal (normal Dolby not Dolby Plus or something else).

Last edited:

Boglin

It is because your PS4 is sending Dolby or DTS 5.1... with PCM is impossible to pass more than stereo with HDMI-ARC.... that is why they created the eARC.

You need to make sure your PC is sending Dolby or DTS to get 5.1... if not you will only get Stereo.
His PC will not even give him the option to send DTS or Dolby Digital because it thinks he only has his 2 TV speakers to work with.

I wish Microsoft would hurry up and make an Xbox launcher for Windows that has all the drivers and controller support needed to make living room PCs an enjoyable experience.

ethomaz

Banned
His PC will not even give him the option to send DTS or Dolby Digital because it thinks he only has his 2 TV speakers to work with.

I wish Microsoft would hurry up and make an Xbox launcher for Windows that has all the drivers and controller support needed to make living room PCs an enjoyable experience.
Yeap I just read the rest of the thread.

He will need to force his PC to think the device (TV) has more than 2 channels.

Nickolaidas

Yeah. This is what you're looking for 👍
Okay, I downloaded and installed MonInfo. I ran it and immediately did a 'Save As' and created a bin file.

Was that what I was supposed to do, or did I have to do something in the file before 'Saving As'?

Boglin

Okay, I downloaded and installed MonInfo. I ran it and immediately did a 'Save As' and created a bin file.

Was that what I was supposed to do, or did I have to do something in the file before 'Saving As'?
You did it correctly. I don't remember all the nuances because it was years ago when I went through the process but I do know for that first step you don't want to change anything.

I would try recursive's suggestion first before you get too deep. It could be a simple solution that I never found or wasn't available at the time.

ethomaz

Banned

From what I understand you will need to created a custom EDID in your specific TV on Windows..

Maybe that step by step from Intel helps.

It does a better job explaining what to do than the forum you posted.
If you follow all the steps there is no way to not have it done.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

You can try to download the free trials for DTS connect or Dolby Atmos on pc and see ithey work on your setup. I used dolby atmos.
Dolby Atmos seems to be only for Headphones.

DTSX doesn't have a trial option, I must buy it for 10 euros.

DTS Headphones is ... for headphones.

Boglin

From what I understand you will need to created a custom EDID in your specific TV on Windows..

Maybe that step by step from Intel helps.

It does a better job explaining what to do than the forum you posted.
If you follow all the steps there is no way to not have it done.
Great link!
These are the best instructions I have seen by far.

ethomaz

Banned
Great link!
These are the best instructions I have seen by far.
Yeap... it is the same thing the forum user did but there he seems to believe most readers knows how these tools works :D
That Intel solution is more easy to apply because it is very detailed to what to do.

ethomaz

Banned
Fucking sad that we have to edit EDIDs to have 5.1 on a PC with Nvidia.
It is more a issue with the EDID that the TVs manufactures send to MS.... all of them just list a Stereo speakers on TV forgetting that you can plug better speakers (even home theaters) on you TV.

If you plug the nVidia card to a device with EDID that has 5.1 then it won't be a issue because the Windows will understand it is a 5.1 system.

I believe it could have a overwritten option (more like a ignore what EDID says) on nVidia control panel but they never did that :(
I don't know about the AMD drivers if there is any overwritten option.

Last edited:

recursive

Dolby Atmos seems to be only for Headphones.

DTSX doesn't have a trial option, I must buy it for 10 euros.

DTS Headphones is ... for headphones.
Dolby access on pc supports home theaters too. What I am not sure about is how it will interact with your setup which probably doesn't support atmos, just dolby digital.

I used to use DTS connect a while ago. It might not be available any longer.

Pedro Motta

It is more a issue with the EDID that the TVs manufactures send to MS.... all of them just list a Stereo speakers on TV forgetting that you can plug better speakers (even home theaters) on you TV.

If you plug the nVidia card to a device with EDID that has 5.1 then it won't be a issue because the Windows will understand it is a 5.1 system.

I believe it could have a overwritten option (more like a ignore what EDID says) on nVidia control panel but they never did that :(
I don't know about the AMD drivers if there is any overwritten option.
That makes no sense because I connect a lot of devices to my TV and everything works with 5.1 except my PC. Have to make the sound go through another sound card and not the HDMI.

ethomaz

Banned
That makes no sense because I connect a lot of devices to my TV and everything works with 5.1 except my PC. Have to make the sound go through another sound card and not the HDMI.
The EDID is sent from manufacturers to Microsoft… it is in the Windows… it is there the issue that is why only Windows doesn’t works.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
2 speakers PCM lol. Changing edid won't do anything if the TV cannot support handling audio with more channels in pcm lol
You can chance the format to Dolby.
BTW the EDID for his TV already only works with Dolby or DTS… he just need to change the number of channels.

These are the options inside the LG EDID send to MS.

M5nZcza.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom