• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People - help! I've connected my TV to an A/V Receiver via HDMI and activated ARC, but I cannot get 'true' 5.1 on windows!!

Nickolaidas

My graphics got all dark and I lost HDR - it isn't simply as an option.

I turned the sound from the settings to 5.1, but it still sees my LG TV as a stereo only source in the sound settings.

I ran Dark Souls III, and the sound is all wrong. The speakers do not work correctly and the rear speakers do not play any sound playing in the back of my character.

ethomaz

Banned
My graphics got all dark and I lost HDR - it isn't simply as an option.

I turned the sound from the settings to 5.1, but it still sees my LG TV as a stereo only source in the sound settings.

I ran Dark Souls III, and the sound is all wrong. The speakers do not work correctly and the rear speakers do not play any sound playing in the back of my character.
Weird you choose the correct EDID for you TV before export?

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Not sure what you mean. I opened the bin file which I created with MonInfo on EDID. What is the 'correct' EDID?
In the MonInfo you need to make sure you are exporting the exactly TV Model you have.

After that when you go change with the EDID app just change the extension part (if it doesn’t exists click in CEA-861-F to create one.

After you change and save you can import with the other app.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Terrific. My TV thinks I have HDR, while my PC thinks I don't have HDR. And now the screen is pitch dark, like I turned down the brightness 60 points.

recursive

I’m not even sure what you are talking about… his TV only supports 4 encodes and PCM is not one of them.

His PC is already sending DTS or Dolby 2.0 to his TV.
Pcm is not an encoder! You don't know what I am talking about because you don't know anything about the topic apparently. I normally enjoy your posts but you don't seem to understand the issue.

Not going to argue further. If you want to keep wasting his time go ahead.

Jaxcellent

Okay, here's the thing - you may remember me having problems with 5.1 and optical cables in the past because I didn't have an A/R Receiver HDMI ARC capable. I now have one and my PS4 plays 5.1 flawlessly via my TV.

However, my PC DOES NOT have 5.1 sound as an option when I go to Sound Settings and tell my PC to get sound from the TV - it only has stereo as an option when connecting the PC sound to my LG TV. The only way to get 5.1 surround is to install old Realtek drivers and then connect the PC DIRECTLY to the A/V Receiver via an optical cable.

Unfortunately, when I activate HDMI ARC, the optical slot does not work (the manual itself states this - it's one of those A/V Receivers which is basically a glorified Blu Ray player with slots for the speakers).

Which means that if I want my future PS5 and my PC to be connected with my A/V Receiver at the same time, it can only happen with HDMI ARC.

So, does anyone know of a way to get 5.1 surround sound on my PC by connecting it via HDMI to my TV, and the TV being connected to the A/V Receiver via HDMI ARC?
Why don't you use the A/V receiver as a HDMI switch, use the HDMI out to your TV? how many inputs does your AV receiver have?

My laptop only does stereo, Dolby Audio premium, whatever.. hope you get yours to work.

ahtlas7

Pass through issue with the receiver?

My PC would do this because it was connecting to the tv instead of the receiver.
ATMOS only becomes an option if the receiver tells the PC it’s available.

Nickolaidas

Why don't you use the A/V receiver as a HDMI switch, use the HDMI out to your TV? how many inputs does your AV receiver have?

My laptop only does stereo, Dolby Audio premium, whatever.. hope you get yours to work.
The A/V Receiver only has one HDMI port which can be both used as a BluRay player connected to the TV, OR as a connection to the TV for HDMI ARC (I learned of this today).

ethomaz

Banned
Pcm is not an encoder! You don't know what I am talking about because you don't know anything about the topic apparently. I normally enjoy your posts but you don't seem to understand the issue.

Not going to argue further. If you want to keep wasting his time go ahead.
Man his issue is that the TV on Windows shows 2 speakers… so the nVidia HDMI output is sending Dolby 2.0 to his TV.

He needs to increase to 6 channels… 5.1… so the Windows needs to understand that his TV has 6 channels.

Buy the Atmos or DTSX will only works if the Windows already knows your TV can receive that… for his case is uneless because the Windows thinks his TV can only get Dolby or DTS 2.0.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Before we waste more time, try and connect the PC directly to your AVR instead of trying to get ARC to work.

Many PC Games didn't support Dolby or DTS. It's been a complete shit show on PC many support it these days. PC Games usually do surround sound using analog inputs. Support for strictly digital audio on PC had been trash. This is one place consoles "win".

YouTube is stereo, this won't make magic happen.

The content needs to be encoded in Dolby, maybe Netflix would give you 5.1 of you used the right browser/app, I think on Windows to get 5.1 it was restricted to only the shitty Windows App.

Last edited:

recursive

Man his issue is that the TV on Windows shows 2 speakers… so the nVidia HDMI output is sending Dolby 2.0 to his TV.

He needs to increase to 6 channels… 5.1… so the Windows needs to understand that his TV has 6 channels.

Buy the Atmos or DTSX will only works if the Windows already knows your TV can receive that… for his case is uneless because the Windows thinks his TV can only get Dolby or DTS 2.0.
Dude. Stop. You don't know what you are talking about. Nvidia gpu outputs only PCM uncompressed audio. If he doesn't have an encoder installed what he is getting is 2.0 PCM. Period.

Nickolaidas

Before we waste more time, try and connect the PC directly to your AVR instead of trying to get ARC to work.
The A/V Receiver is a glorified BluRay player. It only has one, ONE HDMI slot. If I connect the PC to the A/V Receiver directly, I have no way to connect the PC to the TV. Unless you're saying that I should have two HDMI cables on my PC - one going to the TV, and one going to the Receiver.

At this point I am more interested in restoring my picture, which looks like shit right now.

Last edited:

recursive

The A/V Receiver is a glorified BluRay player. It only has one, ONE HDMI slot. If I connect the PC to the A/V Receiver directly, I have no way to connect the PC to the TV. Unless you're saying that I should have two HDMI cables on my PC - one going to the TV, and one going to the Receiver.

At this point I am more interested in restoring my picture, which looks like shit right now.
First step. Stop taking advice from ethomaz.

jaysius

Banned

Wow, well this is your issue, the AVR device might be completely useless for this application, Jesus could have saved us so much time. Post the model number so someone can do a quick Google and tell you how much time you've wasted.

To fix the EDID... I'm not sure, find the unedited one and try reinstalling that. If it doesn't work right away then you might need to turn everything off and unplug the HDMI cables for a minute.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

You need to make the Windows to configure again your Monitor... make him forget your monitor device.
You can delete these entries in the registry that the Windows will "rescan" all monitor/TV devices when you plug them again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors

Nickolaidas

You need to make the Windows to configure again your Monitor... make him forget your monitor device.
You can delete these entries in the registry that the Windows will "rescan" all monitor/TV devices when you plug them again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors
I ran one of the EXE files I created, and instead of Installing the EDID, I told it to reset it. That fixed my monitor and brought back my 'correct' HDR settings.

Sound settings have been reset.

Excess

I had these same issues not too long ago. The question is, why are you going through ARC? Just hook up the HDMI straight to the AVR, unless you're trying to bypass your AVR because it doesn't support something such as HDR/120 FPS?

ethomaz

Banned
First step. Stop taking advice from ethomaz.
Man I have a LG CX and notebook with nVidia GPU.
I just made a little test here and checked the signal reaching the TV and it was Dolby not PCM.

nVidia driver can send Bitstream or PCM over HDMI just fine.

Edit - I did a bit more tests and it seems like it send the original Player/App format... if the app sends PCM my TV receives PCM... if the app sends Bitstream my TV receives Bitstream... if the App have options to change the format being sending then it will receive what you choose.

So come back before with bullshit claims like "Nvidia gpu outputs only PCM uncompressed audio"... it doesn't even make sense to beguing with... it can output whatever your want.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I had these same issues not too long ago. The question is, why are you going through ARC? Just hook up the HDMI straight to the AVR, unless you're trying to bypass your AVR because it doesn't support something such as HDR/120 FPS?
I think the case here was OP was calling his home theater in a box an AVR.

Nickolaidas

Because that's the only way to have sound when I'll get the next gen consoles which do not support optical.

Ah, fuck it. I'll connect my PC with optical and my PS5 with HDMI ARC and I'll just switch from one mode to the other with my TV's remote.

Excess

Because that's the only way to have sound when I'll get the next gen consoles which do not support optical.

Ah, fuck it. I'll connect my PC with optical and my PS5 with HDMI ARC and I'll just switch from one mode to the other with my TV's remote.
It's not, though?

Just to be clear, we're talking about an Audio/Visual Receiver, correct? It looks something like this?

iu

ethomaz

Banned
It's not, though?

Just to be clear, we're talking about an Audio/Visual Receiver, correct? It looks something like this?

iu
I believe his issue is that that device only has a single HDMI port.
I had similar issues with Soundbar with only a single HDMI port that is why now I only buy Soundbars if it has at least a secondary HDMI port for pass-thought to not need to rely with HDMI-ARC from the TV.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

It's not, though?

iu
No, we're talking about those cheap all-in-one A/V Receivers which is basically a Blu-Ray player with slots on its back for the speakers to be connected with it, and a SINGLE HDMI port which can either be used for HDMI ARC on your TV, or for watching Blu Ray movies, and a single optical cable port. That's it.

Excess

No, we're talking about those cheap all-in-one A/V Receivers which is basically a Blu-Ray player with slots on its back for the speakers to be connected with it, and a SINGLE HDMI port which can either be used for HDMI ARC on your TV, or for watching Blu Ray movies, and a single optical cable port. That's it.
Ah, ok. Ignore me then.

I would've suggested a HDMI switcher w/ remote, but I don't think there's any 2.1 available yet.

reektann

exactly what I do. Arc for PS5 and XSX direct into the TV. PC is optical out from a Dolby digital live sound card into the amp with HDMI cable from the 3080 into the tv so I just tap a couple buttons when I want to output games to my TV from the pc and have 5.1 audio.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Ah, ok. Ignore me then.

I would've suggested a HDMI switcher w/ remote, but I don't think there's any 2.1 available yet.
Eh, I did what I said. I have my PC on optical, and the consoles on HDMI ARC, and will simply use my TV remote to switch from Optical to ARC.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is why i don’t like gaming on windows
I spend fucking hours to unfuck HDR and get dolby atmos on windows 10 in gears5

in an actual xbox?
plug and play..

like the gfx boost is dope..
But holy shit windows 10 is absolutely backwards.

big sur has been a blessing

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The reason your PC isn't getting surround sound is that it's not smart enough to see past the EDID of your TV and thinks stereo speakers are the only thing that is available.

Some people have had success fixing the problem by using a program to pull the their TV or monitor's EDID info then override it with the sound settings your TV is capable of sending over ARC.

I never had any success however and my solution ended up to run a second HDMI cable from the on-board graphics to the AV receiver and routed the audio through it.
This is my issue. 2020 TV and 2020 GPU but they act like assholes. It's a real pain in the ass and it gets worse when the eARC port is not HDMI 2.1 but some other one is. My solution is to wait for better AVRs and blow more money while bitching about it every chance I get.

Top Bottom