• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Permanent bans for spoiling games outside of designated threads with 'leaks'

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Update I
Although this shouldn't also have to be explicitly stated, it appears we need to. From this point on permanent bans will also be issued for those attempting to be subtle and start threads that rely on comparisons to indirectly spoil or hint at what was contained in the leaks as well. For example (the below is entirely fictitious), let's say someone starts a thread with a title like:

Will Halo Infinite hurt more than the Red Wedding scene from GoT?
Will you feel as bad for (character) as you did when the grenade fell in the car in the Shield?

It's pretty clear what you're attempting to do. The leaks stay in the leaks thread. There is no need to start any other thread with speculation around the leaks.

Hi Folks

This is now an explicit post to draw your attention to the fact that anyone posting spoilers beyond designated threads will be permanently banned. This is directly targeted at 'unreleased games' and any 'leaks' (confirmed or otherwise). This is not Twitter, and it's not OK to just pick up the strand of a thread and maliciously drop a spoiler, because they seem related by some tangential link. As difficult as it may be, people are trying to avoid what leaks regarding highly anticipated games. If they are deliberately avoiding threads with:

i. the spoiler tag
ii. *spoilers denoted in the title
iii. entering threads with (no-spoilers) etc. in the title
iV. OT's

they should not be coming across spoilers at all. This will also apply to 'leaks' in spoiler tags outside those threads as browser rendering issues often unmask them. This will also apply to any PM's and also applies to those posters who drop a spoiler then self-edit it. The damage has already been done at this point as far as we are concerned.

For general games that are released and have an OT, the use of spoiler tags within those threads is fine. Ideally, with a naming convention. In those threads it is expected that people may ask for advice or ask a question from curiosity. This is when the spoiler tag is to be used, but you enter those threads knowing you may see open spoilers as the community is involved in playthroughs. It is more of a courtesy in those threads.

This should really go without saying, as we all have our own titles that we get hype for, and for some people, they do prefer to go in blind. Especially in narrative driven games. Most of you have used common sense and - out of courtesy - have contained the spoilers in the dedicated threads, and we thank you for that. This will also apply to future titles (e.g. Cyberpunk etc).

Last edited:

hyperbertha

This should be in YouTube where idiots put spoilers in the titles.
They aren't idiots. Its deliberate. Spoilery titles get clicks. I hope they all lose their accounts one day. There are quite a few repeat offenders that constantly put full blown spoilers in either the thumbnails or the titles the day a game is released. Perhaps a community wide mobilization can bring this to youtube's attention.

-Arcadia-

Banned
They aren't idiots. Its deliberate. Spoilery titles get clicks. I hope they all lose their accounts one day. There are quite a few repeat offenders that constantly put full blown spoilers in either the thumbnails or the titles the day a game is released. Perhaps a community wide mobilization can bring this to youtube's attention.

YouTube doesn’t care unless it’s Twitter blue checks placing a target in a struggle session over woke issues.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s sad, but I’m glad you guys nipped this in the bud before it could become something bigger.

Aside from flat-out needing to discourage the behavior in general, imagine if people had started to retaliate by posting Xbox spoilers down the road, then more people retaliated with spoilers for future PS games. The console war-ization of spoilers would essentially be the worst case scenario of mutually assured destruction for anyone trying to enjoy a story anymore.

Bartski

Gold Member
Very happy to see this attitude, much appreciated. Convinced me to stick around after deciding otherwise seeing yesterday's shitstorm unfold.

Most damage in spoiling the game for those that were excited to experience it as intended is done by fucking assholes slinging shit at ND at the moment and doing their best to spoil the game for everyone else because they don't like the plot. I'm sad to say I see people with this attitude present and posting on this forum.

Every single mention of TLOU2 here gets covered by Spoiler Protection 2.0 anyway. I have been actually using it since the last 4chan leak.
The thread made for that leak contained heavy plot spoiler in the thread TITLE and there was no reaction from the mod team, which I found extremely disappointing.

I haven't seen anything else and I want to keep it that way. Lucky for me I neither use twitter nor facebook.

I do use youtube hell of a lot, so for those of you sensitive to this issue as much as I am, here is a tip: you can actually disable all thumbnails on youtube using Spoiler Protection 2.0 by ticking off the "images" slider.

Thank you very much for this, we all appreciate it.

What happened yesterday was shameful and it’s really sad that we need a pinned thread over something that it very obvious

What happened yesterday? Without spoiling it of course. Just tell me the name of the game in question, or the thread.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification.

And yes if anyone posts a spoiler outside of those threads I won't hesitate to hit the report button. And I don't give a dang who it is.

original.gif

Despite the humor im dead serious.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Inb4 the first ban from a poster calling the mods Sony ponies for defending leaks about a Sony game 🤣

Keep up the good work mods!

I sure hope people don't look at it that way. This has nothing to do with being a Sony game. I've had no interest in the game since the last E3 reveal so I had no qualms about checking out all the leaks, Many, many other people are still very much interested in the game. They studiously avoided the leaks thread only to have the story ruined for them in several other non-leak TLOU2 threads.

I'm pretty sure if this happened with Halo Infinite or BotW2 or any other game, especially a story-driven game, the Mods would be just as quick to ban people maliciously ruining those games also.

Top Bottom