• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Permanent bans for spoiling games outside of designated threads with 'leaks'

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I know guys who take pleasure in the idea that they’re inflicting a “not serious” form of harm on others, like spoiling a game. I relate to them. It’s just a different form of being numb.

I can't relate to someone like that.

I can truly be a bitch and meaner than catshit but only if someone does something to really make me mad. I don't understand how someone can go out of their way to mean and hateful indiscriminately to people they don't know who have done nothing to them. I believe people like that are called psychopaths

Last edited:

I can truly be a bitch and meaner than catshit but only if someone really makes me mad. I don't understand how someone can go out of their way to mean and hateful indiscriminately to people they don't know who have done nothing to them. I believe people like that are called psychopaths

I honestly just really hope this doesn’t become a thing now with every big release.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

I can truly be a bitch and meaner than catshit but only if someone really makes me mad. I don't understand how someone can go out of their way to mean and hateful indiscriminately to people they don't know who have done nothing to them. I believe people like that are called psychopaths
It’s understandable that you would think that but I’m pretty sure that having a twisted psychology like this doesn’t automatically mean someone is a psychopath.

Fake

True. Maybe this will cause devs to be much more careful in the future?
This sittuation is different. If that ex kotaku was right about this, devs are mad about crunch inside the company or the way the game was created.
They used as a revenge for that. I don't know if really pays off. When Sony get who leak, will be probably fired and his carier affected.
Before they start a project they need to sign a term and normally inside that term has the compromisse of not doing that.

If even Nintendo got the leakers probably Sony will do as well.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

CatLady

It's gone now.

Let me guess, it was Daniels, M, right? He got kicked out of trolling the Game Pass thread and since trolling Game Pass is his only joy in life he felt he had to commit account suicide by screwing over TLOU 2 fans??? Have I got this right?

I saw he was thread banned and then shortly after I saw he was banned, so I checked the ban page and saw he was finally perm'd with the Mod note of "Fuck off". Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's gone now.

Let me guess, it was Daniels, M, right? He got kicked out of trolling the Game Pass thread and since trolling Game Pass is his only joy in life he felt he had to commit account suicide by screwing over TLOU 2 fans??? Have I got this right?

I saw he was thread banned and then shortly after I saw he was banned, so I checked the ban page and saw he was finally perm'd with the Mod note of "Fuck off". Couldn't have said it better myself.
Yeah, pretty scummy on his part. Ruining a game for people because you can't sit and argue on the internet. Jesus.

Cato

Banned
Jesus. These are going to be a long long time until the game is released for people that don't want to be spoiled to avoid all these traps that people account suicide with. And I don't know if we have mods available 24/7.

Is it possible to recruite some older gaffers to act as a voluntary rapid response team?
I was thinking they would only have the capability to flag a user so that user and all his posts are hidden from view
until a proper mod can review? (hidden, not deleted, just temporarily hidden from view)
Abusing this privilege would also mean a permaban.
But it could quickly flag and hide these user/posts until a proper mod can step in and review.

There are many many weeks until the game is released and there will not be a shortage of assholes that want to account suicide this way.

Kumomeme

i hope there something can be done to thread title that may give subtle impression of how the game end up be (good, bad,tepid, warm, fun etc.)...some people like goes blind, with no any kind expectation of the game

CatLady

Here's something I might suggest for those of you trying to avoid spoilers for TLOU. If a new thread with a clickbait title appears, check who posted it. If it's posted by someone you've never heard of or someone who is a known troll and trouble maker like Daniels, M, give it some time before opening it. If it's another account suicide it will be deleted soon enough and if it's not it will still be there.

It might help somewhat, but sadly since this is a major game with an unprecedented full story and tons of in-game footage released into the wild you all may need to go live off the grid (or at least the internet) to avoid all leaks.

I really feel bad for you guys, this is horrible for everyone who has been anticipating this game for years. I know if this happened to Halo Infinite, I'd be seriously hating life. 343 you better not over work your team and pay them well and on time!

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Update I
Although this shouldn't also have to be explicitly stated, it appears we need to. From this point on permanent bans will also be issued for those attempting to be subtle and start threads that rely on comparisons to indirectly spoil or hint at what was contained in the leaks as well. For example (the below is entirely fictitious), let's say someone starts a thread with a title like:

Will Halo Infinite hurt more than the Red Wedding scene from GoT?
Will you feel as bad for (character) as you did when the grenade fell in the car in the Shield?

It's pretty clear what you're attempting to do. The leaks stay in the leaks thread. There is no need to start any other thread with speculation around the leaks.

Update I
Although this shouldn't also have to be explicitly stated, it appears we need to. From this point on permanent bans will also be issued for those attempting to be subtle and start threads that rely on comparisons to indirectly spoil or hint at what was contained in the leaks as well. For example (the below is entirely fictitious), let's say someone starts a thread with a title like:

Will Halo Infinite hurt more than the Red Wedding scene from GoT?
Will you feel as bad for (character) as you did when the grenade fell in the car in the Shield?

It's pretty clear what you're attempting to do. The leaks stay in the leaks thread. There is no need to start any other thread with speculation around the leaks.
WTF?! I WAS LITERALLY WATCHING THE SHIELD SEASON FINALE AND NOW YOU SPOILED IT!

Bartski

Gold Member
We're all in this for the love of the medium and the hardest thing for me to swallow is sometimes to see the kind of people I share it with.

We're all still lucky to have a hobby that doesn't put us in danger, on the contrary. In times when It's really hard to have something to look forward to.
And despite all that, there are so many people out there that take pleasure in fucking it up for others and that's just depressing.

It's a power trip for frustrated spineless little shits and their hunger for influence. This is the most effective, perfect opportunity - Sony's swan song of the generation awaited by millions for years - to get people really upset about something - and they use it.

But there seem to be also different motivations behind it. Some people are just clueless or careless, just want to have a chat about this whole drama despite it spoiling the narrative to others who might care about the game.

The worst thing about this particular TLOU2 situation is there are legions of people who were initially looking forward to it, got spoiled, and now are on the mission to spoil it for everyone else because they hate the plot. Often for political reasons.

Like I said I really appreciate the effort to keep it under control. I'm afraid as long as you accept gmail on registration - it's going to be really hard.
Every smallest mention of any game I'm looking forward to will from now on be suppressed by a chrome extension at the first sign of pre-release leaks, this really seems to be the only way.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
May I ask, what leaks? Gaming journalism is infamously lacking in integrity. I'll just sit back and enjoy the popcorn if the "source" is some youtuber I've never heard of.

Last edited:
Its up to devs. They leak all shit without caring the consequences.
Dev: 'OK, gonna leak something people been waiting for years. Hope nobody use as an ammunition'.
Internet:
Theyr is a diference between leaking to create a form of hype from developers for a game..... and a developer that is not working for the studio anymore and is leaking to hurt a gamingstudio and the game because they have a financial dispute😉

Moogle11

Banned
At this point I can only guess that the console war dig so deep in the person soul that it become apart of their miserable lifes.

That and politics. From what I’ve gathered from the (thankfully) little I’ve seen it’s apparently got a “woke” plot. So you have both fanboys wanting to ruin it for the “Sony ponies” and others wanting to “own the libs” looking forward to it. The internet is an increasingly awful place. And that’s saying something as it’s been awful since the AOL days.

May I ask, what leaks? Gaming journalism is infamously lacking in integrity. I'll just sit back and enjoy the popcorn if the "source" is some youtuber I've never heard of.

Nah, from what’s been said the full plot, story twists etc. tons of gameplay and cutscene footage etc is out there. A disgruntled (presumably former) Naughty Dog employee leaked it.

Last edited:

Fake

Theyr is a diference between leaking to create a form of hype from developers for a game..... and a developer that is not working for the studio anymore and is leaking to hurt a gamingstudio and the game because they have a financial dispute😉

No shit sherlock. They both pay for the same price dude.

Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights
Question: What's the spoiler situation with re-releases (remasters/remakes/late ports)?

Specifically, there's a certain character in Xenoblade 1 that simply by being mentioned (thus I won't) is a huge story spoiler, but I often see people who already know the game casually mentioning that character in Xenoblade threads.

Are spoilers also taboo for such releases? It'd make sense imo. Thx for your attention.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This site is ridiculous, because it seems that the moderators here think that they can read people's minds. I've been banned from three threads because the moderators concluded that I was posting with bad intentions. In one thread they thought that I was posting YouTube videos for the sole purpose of igniting console wars, when I was actually doing so because the contents of the videos were relevant to the thread. In another thread they accused me of being partisan because I expressed (in a non-antagonistic way) preference for a particular console. And in yet another thread they accused me of trying to derail the thread (The Last of Us Spoilers) because I made comments expressing my understanding of why some people think that the game has a political agenda and supports bias against a particular demographic. It's like you have to walk on eggshells around here, which takes the enjoyment out of posting.

NOTE:

I've posted this here because I don't see any other thread in which my post would be even remotely relevant.

Last edited:
This site is ridiculous, because it seems that the moderators here think that they can read people's minds. I've been banned from three threads because the moderators concluded that I was posting with bad intentions. In one thread they thought that I was posting YouTube videos for the sole purpose of igniting console wars, when I was actually doing so because the contents of the videos were relevant to the thread. In another thread they accused me of being partisan because I expressed (in a non-antagonistic way) preference for a particular console. And in yet another thread they accused me of trying to derail the thread (The Last of Us Spoilers) because I made comments expressing my understanding of why some people think that the game has a political agenda and supports bias against a particular demographic. It's like you have to walk on eggshells around here, which takes the enjoyment out of posting.

NOTE:

I've posted this here because I don't see any other thread in which my post would be even remotely relevant.

giphy.gif

What’s so hard about not posting spoilers. The mods shouldn’t even have needed to tell us in the first place. There’s a spoiler thread. There’s been two, actually, threads for leaks.

I don’t see the issue. Don’t openly discuss spoilers, don’t compare a game storyline to a movie that has famously memorable moments (to where the comparison makes it clear what happens). Like if someone said “hey, Halo Infinite 3 is like Fight Club“ it’s obvious what they mean

Don’t you also post random anti-Xbox stuff? Like a super out of nowhere thread about 360 failure rates a couple weeks ago?

every single game release gets covered thoroughly on GAF. Why are we suddenly having issues with TLOU2?

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
giphy.gif

What’s so hard about not posting spoilers. The mods shouldn’t even have needed to tell us in the first place. There’s a spoiler thread. There’s been two, actually, threads for leaks.

I don’t see the issue. Don’t openly discuss spoilers, don’t compare a game storyline to a movie that has famously memorable moments (to where the comparison makes it clear what happens). Like if someone said “hey, Halo Infinite 3 is like Fight Club“ it’s obvious what they mean

Don’t you also post random anti-Xbox stuff? Like a super out of nowhere thread about 360 failure rates a couple weeks ago?

every single game release gets covered thoroughly on GAF. Why are we suddenly having issues with TLOU2?

Fail. Where did I say anything about posting spoilers? I didn't spoil anything; spoiling is not the reason that I was banned from any thread.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fail. Where did I say anything about posting spoilers? I didn't spoil anything; spoiling is not the reason that I was banned from any thread.

He's confused because you're airing your grievances in a totally unrelated thread. Go here:

This is also a good thread for you to discuss your questions regarding moderation actions

people have asked about thread bans in there and gotten clarification

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights
Question: What's the spoiler situation with re-releases (remasters/remakes/late ports)?

Specifically, there's a certain character in Xenoblade 1 that simply by being mentioned (thus I won't) is a huge story spoiler, but I often see people who already know the game casually mentioning that character in Xenoblade threads.

Are spoilers also taboo for such releases? It'd make sense imo. Thx for your attention.

We obviously can't include every game without an expiration date. However, in the event of a remaster/remake we ask that users treat them as original releases. Most of us here are long in the tooth, and there will be an age group that never played the originals - or people new to the platform. So as guidance, when there is an announcement of a remake we'd expect any threads to make clear they contains spoilers from the original release. If it's to be a non-spoiler thread for new players then tag it as such, and the mods will moderate it as such.

People are exepcted to read titles. Cross thread spoilers on unrelated titles will be moderated as they are know. I think that's as fair as we can make it without getting too draconian.

autoduelist

If posters get permanent bans for spoiling games, what do developers get for ruining respected franchises and disrespectfully killing off beloved characters in the name of woke?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The one where its about they made women look less feminine, dude has a characters name as a spoiler but also other stuff I didnt know as well

Top Bottom