• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Permanent bans for spoiling games outside of designated threads with 'leaks'

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Excellent. I can't count the amount of times I've pointed out that the responses to certain leaks give it away. And no matter how many times I post it, it eventually leads to the inevitable post of 'well, it's pretty much known by now anyway'. These would be more difficult to police but I think it's worth keeping an eye on them because 'some' certainly feel like deliberately drawn out discussions for the soul purpose of eventually revealing the spoiler.

C'mon GAF be cool to one another.

Ban page is a slaughterhouse right now.

I like Lemmings a lot. I wasn’t on when he posted whatever he posted. I don’t know what he wrote or the context. Big bummer to see that he’s gone this morning.

I am not sure what else the staff can do though, it’s clear as day. Hopefully the point is getting across. People need to just stop.

Use the leaks thread, please

Last edited:

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
obviously Ive been spoiled the major stuff however apparently the ending has been leaked yet which is good, but im intersted to get into the meat and potatoes as to why certain things happen the way they do, to give context instead of having a knee jerk reaction to said things.

Nymphae

Banned
vorc3RV.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How many times do we have to tell people? If you want to call each other fanboys etc. all of you get on chaturbate and hate-fap while you do it. This is not an appropriate response to that poster. No previous warnings so 1 week ban.

:pie_roffles: i give this comment an 8 out of 10

Last edited:
Thank you; This is definitely needed. (y)

OMG Onocromin is such an idiot.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

When he gets his 1st one week ban he immediately creates an alt and gets caught.

ROFL
This. It's like some people can't be patient & can't live without posting on a messageboard for a little while. He shouldn't have been trolling in the first place.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Just came to say I am sad to of missed the Daniels suicide thread. Id buy a year of gold just to see it. Well maybe not a year...but like 2 months. Pandemic and all...

Also, called it. Tried saying he needed to be removed months ago and got called a fanboy by one of the mods.

jZXvroH.jpg

That dude was a real winner. My favorite warrior by far. He'd come back from a ban and straight into trolling in another xbox thread lol. First fanboy to put me on ignore too 🤣🤣

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That dude was a real winner. My favorite warrior by far. He'd come back from a ban and straight into trolling in another xbox thread lol. First fanboy to put me on ignore too 🤣🤣

I don't think it's fair to lump that jerk in with Sony fans. He apparently preferred PlayStation, but I rarely if ever saw him in PS threads praising or even discussing PlayStation or Sony games.

It was more he had some insane obsession to troll Xbox threads, especially Game Pass. His obsession was obvious because like you said, he'd get banned for trolling GP and come right back trolling GP and then when he finally got thread-banned from that most recent GP thread he totally loses it and makes a fake thread to spoil TLOU for actual Sony fans and to rage against MS.

I think the guy had something wrong in the head and I am so glad he's gone, he was super disruptive.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I don't think it's fair to lump that jerk in with Sony fans. He apparently preferred PlayStation, but I rarely if ever saw him in PS threads praising or even discussing PlayStation or Sony games.

It was more he had some insane obsession to troll Xbox threads, especially Game Pass. His obsession was obvious because like you said, he'd get banned for trolling GP and come right back trolling GP and then when he finally got thread-banned from that most recent GP thread he totally loses it and makes a fake thread to spoil TLOU for actual Sony fans and to rage against MS.

I think the guy had something wrong in the head and I am so glad he's gone, he was super disruptive.

There's a difference between actual fans and fanboys. Obviously he was the latter as some others. The tlou spoiler thing has been done even by Sony fanboys like songoku. The leaks really put off plenty of people.

The forums have really been turned upside down since these consoles were revealed. I can only hope it calms soon.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I legit think it was buyers remorse to the extreme. The guy had some windows phones and an Xbox and it seemed like the fact M$ quit on Windows phone triggered him.

The sad part is a lot of his arguments had SOME merit but if you challenged him it turned into a discussion like you told him Microsoft was going to show up and beat the shit out of him.

Asking questions about Microsoft's numbers is a good thing because they do indeed do things to hide those numbers, especially in the Xbox division, but claiming EVERYTHING Xbox related was basically cancer and defending/asking Daniels anything that was slightly in favor of Microsoft was like asking a bull to slow dance while doing a handstand and singing Britney Spears.

I still would pay to see the thread he started.

Azurro

Banned
I have a question, so, only explicit spoilers will be perma banned then? Can you post some very vague points? Because in the case of TLOU2, knowing certain aspects of who you play as does inform your opinion in different threads.

I've tried not to post any spoiler after the warning elsewhere, not that I was doing that on purpose, but is posting stuff such as "you play as a diverse character" also bannable?

Last edited:
I have a question, so, only explicit spoilers will be perma banned then? Can you post some very vague points? Because in the case of TLOU2, knowing certain aspects of who you play as does inform your opinion in different threads.

I've tried not to post any spoiler after the warning elsewhere, not that I was doing that on purpose, but is posting stuff such as "you play as a diverse character" also bannable?

Huh I thought Ellie was a lesbian not a bisexual.

BTW I haven't seen any of the spoilers yet.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

Anything that's not explicitly shown in the official gameplay/trailers. We know it's tempting to hint at something or use a vague reference but a clearly defined guideline is easier to follow rather than ambiguity everywhere. If it's from the leaked footage it belongs in one thread. But it is context sensitive, Ellie is a diverse character by her nature anyway - as an example.

giphy.gif

Roni

Gold Member
Permanent bans target email accounts or IP addresses? Because the site is now accepting free email domains for registration...

Moogle11

Banned
So if an email account looks weird they just ban it?

I think there's more to it than just that.

this doesn’t get at the email/vs IP pan, but here’s a staff post in response to a question about identifying alts that was asked in the Ban Review thread in the Off Topic forum.

Our admin wrote some duplicate scripts that takes several extra fingerprints into account. There are the basics that catch entry level trolls, but this goes a lot deeper. While we don't know if meirl was one poster, or a gestalt entity using many names, let us just say that each of the accounts are flagged very early and they all have a distinct set of attributes that make them easy to flag. For example, the account Temp0 was flagged very early, so we give it a little time to breathe and ended up taking three of them out once the mound of evidence became overwhelming.

There are several more accounts that have not posted yet, a few more that have not posted contentiously yet and some we are monitoring as they are approaching the limit of warnings and actions we've applied. We still treat all accounts as though they are genuine until we have unequivocal audit trails and evidence that they are basically ignoring reasonable requests in lieu of trolling/being antagonistic. I guess they all chat somwhere else and think they're flying under the radar because they're being subtle. Which is not the case, they're already on the radar. So we prefer to let them waste their time for a bit, crafting posts that have to look genuine but have undertones of trolling, before they double down. At which point we're waiting.

Thats it, if no one will tell me why I lose all my privileges, even tho all my threads are interesting, i give it couple more days, if no one answers. i aint gonna visit this forum anymore and will probably tell the world what happen to me in this forum

I have not received any warning or message, nothing, no update whatsoever

This is not a good experience for me

TaySan

Banned
Thats it, if no one will tell me why I lose all my privileges, even tho all my threads are interesting, i give it couple more days, if no one answers. i aint gonna visit this forum anymore and will probably tell the world what happen to me in this forum

Probably because you were posting a bunch of low effort threads in a short time period. Take your time when making threads.

Last edited:

Hey buddy, if you ask about it here

you will probably get some clarification from a staff member

LordOfChaos

Hmm I had a post removed in the PS5 official June 4th thread with a warning that the next one would be a perma.

Could a mod maybe PM me what it was? I legitimately don't know and would like to be sure I don't do it again inadvertently, because I actually don't know any spoilers for any unreleased games lol, just so I don't do it again. I'm definitely not trying to ruin anything for anyone. I don't know anything to ruin. I'm guessing that choose your pill poster for the event had something in it, I thought it was just a shitpost.

Don't spoil which tile was right though or I'm also reporting you :p

teezzy

Banned

5gXoq3w.jpg

SUPERGGK

After watching the latest tlou part2 gameplay video, I felt so bad for the developers at naughty dogs. They worked so hard on this game and it shows but this whole leak fiasco was clearly a malicious attempt to discredit all the hard work and passion they poured into the game. So I agree with this decision to ban the trolls and malicious leakers.

I have nothing but support for this decision.

One thing I'm appreciating as pretty much a godsend since joining this site, is the way the forums are broken up into categories, which by all accounts and purposes should be a given (on other such sites that don't practice it).

hunthunt

Banned
Im glad you guys are doing this. I have been working hard the last 2 months so I wasn't in the forums during the TLOU2 leak meltdown. Got the thing spoiled for me anyway by that fucking asshole of MGB in one of his video rants.

So sad about this whole thing, cant believe how people can be so fucking weak mentally to get mad by a fucking videogame storyline

Is this still being enforced? An Xbox console warrior purposely spoiled a major tlou2 spoiler in the critic thread on purpose which up until that point I had avoid all spoilers.

Saber

Gold Member
You guys should remind those dumbass members who quote spoilers instead of just report them that the spoiler still remains there as long you keep quoting them.

Is this still being enforced? An Xbox console warrior purposely spoiled a major tlou2 spoiler in the critic thread on purpose which up until that point I had avoid all spoilers.

Did you report him/her?
A silly atittude I see around here is that people wants to mods to magically know about the offender without reports to signal them.

You guys should remind those dumbass members who quote spoilers instead of just report them that the spoiler still remains there as long you keep quoting them.

Did you report him/her?
A silly atittude I see around here is that people wants to mods to magically know about the offender without reports to signal them.

yeah and the post was deleted. that was it though. Personally I don’t care what people post and rarely run to report, but this cunt did it on purpose and it was probably the most major spoiler of said game. I’m sure many others have managed to avoid spoilers by simply staying out of spoiler threads. Which what I was doing.

the same sad cunt was then whining about apparent pro ps5 threads.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I've given up hope and simply stay away from any related threads. What's the point in permabanning some neo member micro penis who just registered with a gmail and will be back immediately under a different alias

Last edited:

Arelyon

Banned
So I received a warning for this shit, but as I remember I only posted spoilers in thread with spoilers, and the warning doesn't say where I posted spoilers that wasn't allowed.

So where can I complain?

Top Bottom