• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin (PSP) - New trailer

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Akselziys said:
I think you and I can be good friends ;)

Always looking for more people who think alike!

Sleeping Badger

Neo Member
Android18a said:
I play Persona for the social link type stuff actually ^^ So I might skip this and wait for either P5 or P4P if it happens. Hope they don't dump social links for P5.
I highly doubt they will drop one of the big features from the last two games.

SonicBoom

This series is one of the most underrated series ever glad to see the PSP revival but come on Atlus PLEASE RELEASE THIS IN AMERICA and EUROPE so that everyone that knows english can play this great game.

SonicBoom said:
This series is one of the most underrated series ever glad to see the PSP revival but come on Atlus PLEASE RELEASE THIS IN AMERICA and EUROPE so that everyone that knows english can play this great game.

I really can not see how iy wont come to the us, they would be silly to not have it come out after how well p4, p1p, and p3p did.

Yaweee

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/23/persona_2_quests/

This week's Famitsu had a new article on the game. I'll leave specifics (or new thread) to people that can actually read the moonrunes, but it seems like a "create-a-quest mode", and a cameo with "SMT If..."

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201103/25041626.html

s624a0.jpg

28btcop.jpg

25ujlhl.jpg

And just a convenient link to the Hardcore Gaming article on IF...
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten3.htm

And from a user on Gamefaqs,
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/611279-persona-2-tsumi/58550313
"Also the original scenario writer, Satomi Tadashi (left Atlus after the Digital Devil Saga 2) returns for the extra scenario."

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, create a quest/mission seems to be the new craze these days in Japan. Dissidia 012, Persona 2 IS have quest creation and sharing, Disgaea 4 has level creator and sharing; it's like Japanese games ignored user-content for a decade and now they're catching up fast.

I honestly don't see how user-created quests in a game like P2 can actually be fun though. Very skeptical. I mean it seems like a game without much leeway for creating original content.

Karukoza High, the setting of Shin Megami Tensei If... the granddaddy of ALL Persona games.

If AtlusUSA doesn't announce this I will be most displeased.

Yaweee

Bebpo said:
Yeah, create a quest/mission seems to be the new craze these days in Japan. Dissidia 012, Persona 2 IS have quest creation and sharing, Disgaea 4 has level creator and sharing; it's like Japanese games ignored user-content for a decade and now they're catching up fast.

I honestly don't see how user-created quests in a game like P2 can actually be fun though. Very skeptical. I mean it seems like a game without much leeway for creating original content.

If you can modify enemy stats, it can be a great way to make challenging boss fights. There's no way to tell how in depth it is until the game actually comes out. I think the articles said something about Famitsu using the system to distribute some semi-official quests, or something.

KibblesBits said:
Karukoza High, the setting of Shin Megami Tensei If... the granddaddy of ALL Persona games.

If AtlusUSA doesn't announce this I will be most displeased.

I wouldn't even waste time contemplating the idea that this isn't coming to NA. It is. Period.

Bebpo

Banned
Yaweee said:
If you can modify enemy stats, it can be a great way to make challenging boss fights. There's no way to tell how in depth it is until the game actually comes out. I think the articles said something about Famitsu using the system to distribute some semi-official quests, or something.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the player. For me, quests not having new towns, dungeons, npc art, music tracks, etc... kills it for me. Even if someone makes a well balanced challenging quest through an existing dungeon to get some existing good item with some npcs along the way, it probably wouldn't keep me interested. It's probably not like rpgmaker where you can create entire worlds from scratch.

I'm still really excited about this game, just likely won't touch this feature as I never touched the Dissidia quest creator.

cj_iwakura said:
Atlus, don't ask me what I would do for an If remake with Persona 2's engine.

This is not a subject to toy with!

Depending on how much customization is available this may not be so far fetched an idea...

kuroshiki

What's up with all the dissing of Persona 3 and 4? Persona 3 is the game that actually SAVED Atlus from brink of bankruptcy. Show some respect people.

cj_iwakura

I enjoy Persona 3, but it is very much a sign of the transition from Okada-SMT to not.

There's a certain stylized touch of the modern occult that P2 and Nocturne had that P3 lacks.

duckroll

cj_iwakura said:
I enjoy Persona 3, but it is very much a sign of the transition from Okada-SMT to not.

There's a certain stylized touch of the modern occult that P2 and Nocturne had that P3 lacks.

I don't think it had anything to do with Okada honestly. Considering the stylized modern occult stuff is still heavily featured in Devil Survivor and Strange Journey. And the stylized period occult is totally the Raidou series.

cj_iwakura

duckroll said:
I don't think it had anything to do with Okada honestly. Considering the stylized modern occult stuff is still heavily featured in Devil Survivor and Strange Journey. And the stylized period occult is totally the Raidou series.

Yeah, Raidou's very much an exception, but Devil Survivor and Strange Journey felt like they lacked something.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of
Lucifer being used as a random cameo character.

cj_iwakura said:
Yeah, Raidou's very much an exception, but Devil Survivor and Strange Journey felt like they lacked something.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of
Lucifer being used as a random cameo character.

I will agree to this. SJ's appearance was pathetic.

Philthy

Finally a reason to play some more Persona. Like, the actual GOOD ones. I couldn't stand P3 and never bothered with 4. P3 wasn't a Persona game.

MoogPaul

I cant believe all the whining over P3 and P4. P1 and P2 were pretty much the standard SMT games. At least with 3 and 4 you get something different that you couldnt get by just playing Nocturne or the like.

Edit: Im not calling them bad games (well maybe P1 is a bad game) but the formula has been done before. Atlus had been doing it for a while. I just never saw a drastic difference btw SMT games and P1 and P2.

Ryuukan

MoogPaul said:
I cant believe all the whining over P3 and P4. P1 and P2 were pretty much the standard SMT games. At least with 3 and 4 you get something different that you couldnt get by just playing Nocturne or the like.

Persona 1 & 2 are wayyyy different from the original SMT games.

Aeana

MoogPaul said:

Edit: Im not calling them bad games (well maybe P1 is a bad game) but the formula has been done before. Atlus had been doing it for a while. I just never saw a drastic difference btw SMT games and P1 and P2.
How is Persona 2 like any other game in the franchise?

MoogPaul

Im talking generally about the demon negotiation part of it, which is a big part of the games. More or less all the atlus games up until that point had demon negotiations and if you didnt like that aspect, you most likely wouldnt like their games. It made sense as a company to spread out into things like Digital Devil and the evolution of the Persona series. If you didnt like one series, you could try another.

MoogPaul said:

? How so? P1 & P2 games unlike the main titles are more character/social interaction focused for the stories/plot.

Edit: I see his point above.

MoogPaul

Ryuukan said:
I think he got his ass kicked in Nocturne and it soured him on all games with SMT on the box.

Sorry to disappoint but apparently, unlike you, Atlus and I go back before PS2. Nocturne was a joke difficulty wise. Great game, but too forgiving Boss wise.

Ryuukan

MoogPaul said:
Sorry to disappoint but apparently, unlike you, Atlus and I go back before PS2. Nocturne was a joke difficulty wise. Great game, but too forgiving Boss wise.

With you spewing misinformation before, I thought you played Persona 1 on the PSP first.
Now I can see you're just trolling.

cj_iwakura

Nocturne's a lot of things, but it isn't easy.

SMT1 & 2? They're easy. Equip stat-inflicting gun. Have demons spam buff spells.

Auto. Repeat.

Yaweee

cj_iwakura said:
Nocturne's a lot of things, but it isn't easy.

SMT1 & 2? They're easy. Equip stat-inflicting gun. Have demons spam buff spells.

Auto. Repeat.

"Have Demons Spam Buff Spells" is pretty much the strategy in every boss battle in the entire franchise, including Nocturne.

But, yeah, status-ailment guns are pretty broken.

MoogPaul

There is a difference between frustrating and difficult. Frustrating is having to do a fight a couple times until you find out the right strategy, once you find out the strategy its an easy fight. Difficult is the fight being hard regardless of strategy. Nocturne was frustrating not difficult.

cj_iwakura

I think you've got your adjectives mixed up there. I'd rather a game reward strategy than drive me crazy regardless of what I do to adjust.

Yaweee

MoogPaul said:
There is a difference between frustrating and difficult. Frustrating is having to do a fight a couple times until you find out the right strategy, once you find out the strategy its an easy fight. Difficult is the fight being hard regardless of strategy. Nocturne was frustrating not difficult.

Difficulty is simply hard to define. I'd really like to here your elaboration on what it means to be "hard" regardless of strategy, and how that is achieved in turn-based RPGs, and what games in particular exhibit those traits.

More often than not, even in the games people often label as hard, the actually strategy and execution in boss fights comes down to basic RPG101-type stuff with various window dressings from whatever the game's unique gameplay mechanics are.

Yaweee said:
Difficulty is simply hard to define. I'd really like to here your elaboration on what it means to be "hard" regardless of strategy, and how that is achieved in turn-based RPGs, and what games in particular exhibit those traits.

More often than not, even in the games people often label as hard, the actually strategy and execution in boss fights comes down to basic RPG101-type stuff with various window dressings from whatever the game's unique gameplay mechanics are.

To further your point you mean like Fog breath + de - whatever spells then regulating right?

Yaweee

Urban Scholar said:
To further your point you mean like Fog breath + de - whatever spells then regulating right?

Yeah. You still have to worry about your group customization, balancing turns between healing/maintenance and actual damage, but you have to tweak that slightly to account for how powerful the buff spells and proper elemental attacks are in that game.

I want a game that is interesting more than hard, and I'd say Nocturne's battles actually did a much better job of that than SMT1/2 and P1/2. And I actually appreciate having to contemplate what the battle's strategy is and revising my entire party to match that fight. I loved that aspect of Strange Journey and Devil Survivor (the day 3 and day 6 boss fights are goddamn absurd).

Ryuukan

MoogPaul said:

If strategy is not a factor, then the only way to win a battle in your terms of "difficulty" is based on a random chance. If the only way to beat a boss is to hope it doesn't use 'x' attack is shitty design. Basically, you're saying you don't mind "Game Over" screens due to losing a coin flip.

I enjoy progress in games, not bad design.

MoogPaul

To break it down, I'm saying is that I've found that Atlus games, more so than other RPG companies, reward you too much for figuring out the weaknesses. A battle can go for 20 rounds without the weakness or like 3 if you know it. Too punishing or too easy, never much of a middle ground. If the enemy is weak to fire, do an extra 50 points of damage, not extra 200 and give me a free second shot.

randomkid

I've been on media blackout so I haven't been keeping up, is the old music still going to be selectable as an option like they originally announced? Are they really going to include all 104 tracks from the original OST, on top of an entire brand new remixed soundtrack? It just sounds too good to be true.

Well this thread got a little bit of action while I was away. I love it when people come in randomly and start trying to defend P3/4 as if it's needed when it totally isn't.

pirata

Augemitbutter said:
they should link conversations with demons and social links for the next game. could be interesting.

I agree, actually. I think it's pretty annoying and repetitive in P2, but if they could flesh negotiation out and hook it into some of the other systems of modern Persona, it could be really good.

And I've also been thinking lately that it would be amazing if they incorporated a sort of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories-esque psychoanalysis system into P5 where the game clandestinely records just about every action you take and every answer you give to every question, altering the course of the game, perhaps even on a plot or gameplay level. I think that a system like that would combine well with social links and demon negotiations for interesting results. Or maybe this is all a terrible idea and why I'm not a developer.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
So uh, no official thread...?

I just bought this off PSN, anyone else buying it?

I've never played Innocent Sin before, just english version of Eternal Punishment, so this is going to be all ... kind of... new to me.

Bebpo

Banned
Oichi said:
So uh, no official thread...?

I just bought this off PSN, anyone else buying it?

I've never played Innocent Sin before, just english version of Eternal Punishment, so this is going to be all ... kind of... new to me.

You might be the only one playing ^^;

Mine shipped, but I have 100+ hours of super robots to go through before my umd drive is free to play this.

Bebpo

Banned
I got my copy and gave it a spin with data install on to see how dated the game would feel compared to say...Trails of the Sky since that's an older game recently released (well in the US) as well.

On the plus side, I think the sprites look great at this resolution. Definitely better than the time I tried IS on my PS2 BC.

On the negative side, wow the loading bar. I can't believe it has to fill up a loading bar EVERY TIME YOU OPEN A DOOR. In the starting school, just running around looking for this teacher that's calling for you had me see like 30 loading bars. With data install, it's never a particularly long load. Maybe 3-6 seconds. Something I could tolerate maybe when running around a dungeon and only seeing it every 5-15 mins. But when in a building with lots of rooms, seeing it every other second is pretty annoying. It's definitely much shorter loading than the PS1 version, but feels like a PS2 rpg circa 2002/2003 when loading was not terrible, but not great either.

Also I'm not a fan of the font. Between the font and kanji, it makes it kind of a pain to read the npc dialogues of all these npcs in the school.

Didn't make it to a battle. Just wanted to check it out, not actually start playing it. Seems like if I wanted to play P2 IS down the line (and I do for sure), this is the best version to play. But it also doesn't really make me want to play P2 IS anytime soon. After I finish SRW Z2 I think I'll go back to trails of the sky and finish that first since it feels much less dated between better loading, graphics, and font.

Top Bottom