• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin (PSP) - New trailer

Sophia

Sounds like the new music is remixed from the original. That's definitely the boss battle theme remixed I hear in there.

Danielsan

Looks great. Always wanted to play Innocent Sin, didn't want to go through the trouble if importing a copy and getting the fan translation to work. Has an English release been announced yet?

Wow I cant wait and the hallways look much improved over P1P (which Im gonna have to run through before this comes out!)

Oh and thats Maya, the one we talk to on the PC in P3P? Cool!

Paracelsus

Ricker said:
More like P3 then P1? the school screen I quickly saw in the trailer looked a lot like P3...

Think P3, think several zillion times better in every department and no dating sim features. Yeah, that's P2.

EDIT: though P2 seems to have a bs closer to P1. Yeah, P2 improves everything over the original and sets a standard both sequels haven't been able to top.

tmarques

Not to derail the thread, but I loved Devil Survivor so much I just bought both Persona 1 and 3 - is there any reason I should play them in order or are they unrelated? I kind of want to start with P3P.

An-Det

I'm sure this will see a US release, but I'm curious about a remake of P2: Eternal Punishment. I never played either version of P2, so having both would be great.

Peff

tmarques said:
Not to derail the thread, but I loved Devil Survivor so much I just bought both Persona 1 and 3 - is there any reason I should play them in order or are they unrelated? I kind of want to start with P3P.

Other than playing Persona 1 ASAP so that it doesn't feel even more horribly dated, no, not really.

Clott

I asked in another thread but here I go again. I just finished P4 which was amazing, I dont want to play P3P yet as to not get burned out on the formula. I enjoy story heavy RPG's as well, what is the next atlus RPG that I play?

cj_iwakura

Not sure about the remixed music, but the mascot's outfit is awesome.

Clott said:
I asked in another thread but here I go again. I just finished P4 which was amazing, I dont want to play P3P yet as to not get burned out on the formula. I enjoy story heavy RPG's as well, what is the next atlus RPG that I play?

The correct answer is Nocturne.

I play Persona for the social link type stuff actually ^^ So I might skip this and wait for either P5 or P4P if it happens. Hope they don't dump social links for P5.

wrowa

Clott said:
If you want a more story-focused experience I would recommend Digital Devil Saga to you. Though, in case you prefer handheld games, you can also give Devil Survivor a go. Since it's an SRPG it's a less traditional take on the franchise, but nevertheless one of the best games the series has to offer.

Nocturne is great too, but it has less emphasis on story and it's pretty, pretty hardcore.

Paracelsus said:
Think P3, think several zillion times better in every department and no dating sim features. Yeah, that's P2.
Eh. Persona 3/4 without social links would be rather boring games :p

Which doesn't change that P2 is a great game. But one can't really compare the old Persona games with the new.

AtlusUSA has to announce this. There were so many people out there who didn't get to play P2IS. It would be a shame for them to miss out on this chance. I'm salivating the thought of playing this game again, in english for the first time even!

I doubt I'll know what the remixed music even sounds like, lol.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
SOOOOO excited for this! Love, love, love Persona 2 Innocent Sin! (Well, love Persona 1, 2 IS, and 2 EP in general XD)

Persona 3 and 4, not so much XD;;

pirata

Paracelsus said:

EDIT: though P2 seems to have a bs closer to P1. Yeah, P2 improves everything over the original and sets a standard both sequels haven't been able to top.

...except that the gameplay is ultra-clunky and no fun at all compared to P3 and P4...and the music is nowhere near as good...and there's far less variety....

I really doubt that this portable version will fix that, but hopefully the new UI and features implemented from Eternal Punishment will help make the battle system more bearable (like not having to reset your moves every damn turn if you want to use a fusion spell more than once).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't speak Japanese but did they seriously use the new anime opening as a selling point for the game? If so, -_-

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Domstercool said:
The RPG PC game in Persona 3 is a cameo on this. The teacher role plays as Maya ;)

Are you sure? I thought it's a reference to the first MegaTen on NES...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Eternal punishment remains my favorite Persona, so this a no brainer. I have IS on Psone, but it'll be nice to play it in English.

bernardobri said:
Are you sure? I thought it's a reference to the first MegaTen on NES...

In P3, the main character connected with a character whose name was from the Megaten series via the MMO for the hermit link.

When it was translated, Atlus realized most people wouldn't recognize the reference and decided to make it more current by renaming the character Maya to reference P2.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
thetrin said:
Eternal punishment remains my favorite Persona, so this a no brainer. I have IS on Psone, but it'll be nice to play it in English.

I think you and I can be good friends ;)

Jikagi

Excited, I've played Persona 3 and 4 and they are my favorite games for the PS2, so I'll definitely get this one.

Paracelsus

...except that the gameplay is ultra-clunky and no fun at all compared to P3 and P4...and the music is nowhere near as good...and there's far less variety....

Persona 3 has a funnier bs? Really?

Rather, has Persona 3 a fun bs at all?

You might be the first guy on earth giving me headache with such a short line. I just can't believe it.

Yaweee

Paracelsus said:

You might be the first guy on earth giving me headache with such a short line. I just can't believe it.

I'm not a fan of the P2 battle system at all, nowadays. There's some nice things, but the entire system behind actions carrying over and having to manually reorganize the ordering of their commands to pull of combos is a complete mess. The remake fixes that a little bit, though. I don't think dislike the P2 battle system is all that uncommon.

Oh, and it heavily favor finishes every single battle with the same combo moves, due to how tedious the regular leveling mechanics are compared to just triggering Mutations and surging ahead ranks at a time.

The battle system is what it is, the mechanics in P3/P4 are a tad more fun when compared to P1-P2. But the dark and macabre narrative and themes make up for it.

pirata

Paracelsus said:

I'm sorry, but five-minute random battles that force you spam the same fusion spells (and set them up) over and over again and say the same thing to demons over and over again aren't fun. And the dungeons are completely unnavigable at times. And obtaining and leveling up new personae is an absolute chore. And even after dozens of hours, I was still unclear as to what determines how much damage an attack does (persona stats? The character's stats?) or how the MP system worked. But if you like that, knock yourself out.

pirata said:
I'm sorry, but five-minute random battles that force you spam the same fusion spells (and set them up) over and over again and say the same thing to demons over and over again aren't fun. And the dungeons are completely unnavigable at times. And obtaining and leveling up new personae is an absolute chore. And even after dozens of hours, I was still unclear as to what determines how much damage an attack does (persona stats? The character's stats?) or how the MP system worked. But if you like that, knock yourself out.

If you were having five minute battles you were doing it wrong.

The enemies still had weaknesses that were easily exploitable until late in the game.

The dungeons weren't that much different from Nocturne dungeons navigation wise either.

And the conversations weren't always the same thing, but they were a bit limited at times.

The only real issue was leveling up persona which I actually do agree was a bit of a chore unless you realized that going to the underground bomb shelter was the best route.

Persona stats added to character stats and the MP system was really basic.

Top Bottom