• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah, with all the characters, that's what we're assuming, given BlazBlue.

I guess that's fine...from what I played of the blazblue games, they did at least have some in depth story stuff going on there. I just wish Japanese developers would consider expanding what they can do with story in fighting games.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I loved what Netherealm did with the story mode in Mortal Kombat. That had to the best story mode I've ever played in a fighting game. Thing took me at least 10 hours to finish, and gave me a good idea of how each character plays.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Avatar change, get. GET HYPE as the kids would say.

Says the person that'll probably drop this in a month when DOA hits and the community gets better than his casually plays fighting game ass and then goes back to Battlefield where he belongs.

Ok, so this game supposedly is using the same netcode as BB with some tweaks - I never played that though, so was it any good online?

All this Chie in here! Where's that hnnnnnngg picture at? I should photoshop that thing a bit...

TheSeks

Ok, so this game supposedly is using the same netcode as BB with some tweaks - I never played that though, so was it any good online.

Anything above 2 bars is good. At least CS1/2-wise. Dunno about Extend/CS3. Maybe they tweaked it more. But anyway it's solid and better than other 2D fighters netcode, all you need to know.

The only netcode better than BB's is Soul Calibur 5
Anything above 2 bars is good. At least CS1/2-wise. Dunno about Extend/CS3. Maybe they tweaked it more. But anyway it's solid and better than other 2D fighters netcode, all you need to know.

Thanks - although, I'm a bit unsure as to how GGPO rates in all of this. Is that as good as BB? Also, did BB have custom lobbies? Man, I'm totally clueless about this, I only play SFIVAE.

TheSeks

Thanks - although, I'm a bit unsure as to how GGPO rates in all of this. Is that as good as BB? Also, did BB have custom lobbies? Man, I'm totally clueless about this, I only play SFIVAE.

GGPO is good but not great. It's a call-check system. BB/Arc's netcode is a sync before the match. There's no "roll-back." GGPO in Third Strike is prone to rolling back the state when lagging. Which is why Jeff Gerstman/others complained about seeing wins on their screen but actually losing rounds because the state/GGPO rolled back due to lag.

Blazblue doesn't do that. It sync's the players and if someone lags both sides lag.

I'm partial to DOA's method of slowing the game down/frame-rate dives as well if players are lagging. Gives boths sides an even advantage, IMO

BB does have custom lobbies in the fact you can set settings (winner stays, loser stays, host choice [IIRC] Unlimited on/off) but it wasn't totally custom in a sense. You can't block certain characters from being used (IIRC) just an unlimited on/off toggle.

Best thing BB has is the game finder. No match making unless you choose quick match. Which is nice.

GGPO is right under it, problem is GGPO can get annoying as fuck at times due to how it works

GGPO is good but not great.
Blazblue doesn't do that. It sync's the players and if someone lags both sides lag. BB does have custom lobbies in the fact you can set settings (winner stays, loser stays, host choice [IIRC] Unlimited on/off) but it wasn't totally custom in a sense. You can't block certain characters from being used (IIRC) just an unlimited on/off toggle.

Best thing BB has is the game finder. No match making unless you choose quick match. Which is nice.

Nice, thanks for the info guys!

GGPO is the best only because of the rollbacks which allows you to play at nearly frame perfect pace despite fluctuating(and usually slow) internet speeds. That really helps folks training for higher level competition in my opinion. The other plus is the fact that you can set your own delay in order to minimize that lag you find in Mahvel, SFIV and KOF. The tech ASW uses works more than well enough for casual and mid level fighting. It's seriously good stuff compared to just about all other non GGPO fighters(here is looking at you, KOF and Mahvel).
GGPO is good but not great. It's a call-check system. BB/Arc's netcode is a sync before the match. There's no "roll-back." GGPO in Third Strike is prone to rolling back the state when lagging. Which is why Jeff Gerstman/others complained about seeing wins on their screen but actually losing rounds because the state/GGPO rolled back due to lag.
Blame that on the specific implementation of GGPO on third strike. I've never ever experienced such powerful rollback and I've played hundreds(maybe thousands) of matches with people from my continent and abroad.

Saprol

Can't wait for story mode and getting bodied because I'm terrible. Probably going to try half the cast anyway based on favourites and BGM.

chie why can't your theme be as cool as aegis'/yukiko's? :(

Getting the PS3 version and maining Akihiko. I find it awesome that he has a palette of both my Blazblue and Guilty Gear mains.
vfrkh.png

I'm probably gonna end up subbing half the cast as I like playing with multiple characters.

oh my

Rarutos

So hyped, I legitimately want to get good at this one for some reason. Even bought a stick to learn on it. Can't wait! Hoping to play either Yukiko, Mitsuru, or Elizabeth. :)

Bladenic

Claimed Narukami-kun.

Just wondering, was there a tier list for the game based on the arcade version? Just curious.

I don't know who I plan on maining. Will probably try everyone and see who I like. Right now I'm leaning to Kanji since he's my favorite P4 character. But I'll see.

Steaks

Claimed Narukami-kun.

Just wondering, was there a tier list for the game based on the arcade version? Just curious.

I don't know who I plan on maining. Will probably try everyone and see who I like. Right now I'm leaning to Kanji since he's my favorite P4 character. But I'll see.

Everyone's viable, but Kanji's the worst character.

sephi22

'Sephi22' on psn without the quotes.
Will be maining Kanji for that Real Soviet Damage.

Im in ME though, so i have to wait indefinitely for that EU copy

Teknoman

TeknomanEX PSN, gotta get in on this.

Dont really have a main or planned main since I liked every character from both games. Will be jumping back on dual shock since I only have a 360 arcade stick.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just wanted to say FANTASTIC OP! And thanks for getting it out early! :)

Parakeetman762 on PSN - Not quite sure who Ill main. Labrys is interesting though, same with Akihito

Tizoc

*Patiently waits for Zen United to get their lazy $hit together and announce a release date*

Could someone make a Samborero Kanji avatar plz?

Also to all my Kanji bros; you ARE buying a steel chair when you get this game right?

Very nice OT cj
but you cannot silence us! :p

Friends and I loved what we played in Tokyo, I can't wait
for Zen United to get their shit together.

Parakeetman

Early claims were around 30-40 hours and that is most definitely including playthroughs with every character.

I got the game went through 4 stories so far and I wouldnt say its 30-40 hours long. Plus to get to the other scenes in the dialog its just a matter of loading up a "bookmark / save" from one of the 6 slots and see what happens.

Id give it about 20 perhaps, but 30-40 would be pushing it.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I can't wait!

I'll be supporting this game. If any tournament organizers need love. Holla at me.

I'm ready to dust this off... Haven't had one used since Comic-Con ;)

7453525908_d4e3a38f0d_o.jpg

Parakeetman

My new waifu lol

With all jokes aside I really hope that she becomes a new character in the next Persona game. Since seems like there is an interesting backstory with her.

DONT READ PLOT SPOILERS FOR P4:MA
Though that would mean the game would have to take place during the P3 storyline.

Cowie

Really hyped about this game. I'm terrible at new gen fighters so we'll see if my frustration gets the better of me.. but I think my love for Persona will prevail.

Cowie - PSN - CowieX - Yukiko?

Parakeetman

Really hyped about this game. I'm terrible at new gen fighters so we'll see if my frustration gets the better of me.. but I think my love for Persona will prevail.
Cowie - 360 - CowieX - Yukiko?

If anything just for the story mode alone seeing how you are a Persona fan am sure you will not regret the purchase, so rest assured!

The fighting mechanics itself are not that hard, but mastering them is another issue... Im from the more old school street fighter / KOF mostly (98) era so all of these new fangled crazy counters, bust action etc am not used to at all.

Parakeetman

I have one of these on the way, but am considering not opening it and selling it to anyone interested. Reason being is I had found this shortly after and put in an order for it instead. Dont really need 2 joysticks at the house. Considering its bad enough got the "TANK" 360 Real Arcade Pro Ex sitting around. Both should arrive tomorrow. If no takers on the purchase can always just return it unopened to amazon.

P4_STICK_thumb.jpg

PS3 version.

4308223081_e41c658328.jpg

This is the other order which I will be using instead as the main stick. The Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 (PS3)

kewlmyc

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the story part of the OT is wrong. It takes place two months after P4, not two years.

Impressive nonetheless.

Parakeetman

Everyone's viable, but Kanji's the worst character.
I wouldnt say worst, but hes far from the normal grapple type of character which I think is what turns everyone off.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the story part of the OT is wrong. It takes place two months after P4, not two years.
Yeah thats correct it is 2 months after the original story took place, with the main character returning to the town for the Golden Week Holiday.

Top Bottom