• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I haven't bought a fighting game since Soul Calibur II and haven't played one properly since Tekken 3 and I don't own an arcade stick, but I feel like I need to buy this game for the story mode.

Is it playable using the left analog stick on the Dual Shock 3?

That and the fights which are one round only are not very hard in story mode. Im playing on the dual shock currently till the joystick arrives. Works just fine on the pad.

TWILT

Banned
Wait.. Wait.. Hold up.
Persona 3 FES is on PSN?

Why didnt anyone fucking tell me? Now i can play it on my ps3 slim without having to hunt for a retail copy.

Without spoilers, is P3FES superior to P3?

Yup. There's pretty much no reason to play vanilla P3 with FES and Portable out.

DR2K

Banned
Wait.. Wait.. Hold up.
Persona 3 FES is on PSN?

Why didnt anyone fucking tell me? Now i can play it on my ps3 slim without having to hunt for a retail copy.

FES > P3P > Persona 3 Vanilla.

Esura

Banned
Festival I believe. EDIT: Beaten like a red headed step child.

Word of caution with the PSN version of FES. It deletes saves, or at least it permanently deleted mines last week so I had to go back to my PS2 copy.

BlackJace

Oh thanks, all. And I second that the PSN FES does have a save glitch, but for me it just fails to save. I retry it again, and it works fine.

I reeaallly hope it doesn't delete my file. I have 5 ultimate personas, which took ass-loads of hours to do :p

vocab

Wait.. Wait.. Hold up.
Persona 3 FES is on PSN?

Fes adds a lot more to the base game. The original is pretty barebones without fes.

Esura

Banned
I have a question real quick for anyone who playing this story mode.

Do the P3 characters in this game references anything from The Answer? As I kind of wanting to just pass on the Answer after hearing how notoriously difficult it is.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So much Chie love around here, we'll see how strong that love is when a few weeks pass. :lol

#TeamMitsuru

Some quick impressions:
When you start the game, it starts with the 'this program has been brought to you by these sponsors' sort of message you typically see in anime. Was wondering why they'd do this, but I guess it goes with the television theme of the game?

It's been said before, but needs to be repeated: the menu presentation is SLICK.

So far I've encountered the following tunes as main menu music: Heartbeat Heartbreak, Signs of Love, the P3 dorm music. I can't remember what's the name of the tune used for instant kills. One of the P4 boss tunes?

I spent about 5 minutes with each character trying out their moves. Most of them seem to have fairly small movelists compared to GG and BB. There doesn't seem to be a lot of command attacks either. I was pretty surprised by how long it takes for heavy persona attacks to recover. It'll take some time for me to get used to being locked out of nearly half my attacks while my persona is recovering from its attack animation. (I must admit I wasn't testing things very extensively.)

Random thoughts on the characters (except Chie, cos she didn't really leave a deep impression on me)
Yu: Seems pretty easy to use, but his heavy persona attacks are really slow.
Yousuke: Don't like his theme.
Yukiko: I don't like her laugh when casting Maragi in Japanese. Pretty small moveset.
Elizabeth: Quite a fun character. Thanatos is badass. Can inflict a wide variety of status effects too. Pretty slow run.
Naoto: I thought I wouldn't be interested in her playstyle when watching the preview videos, but shooting people feels pretty good lol. Persona attacks come out nice and quick.
Mitsuru: Very small moveset. Don't like using charge characters. Mahabufudyne reminds me a little of one of Vergil's (UMvC3) summoned sword formations.
Akihiko: His persona seems very important to him, especially the jumping attack. Haven't figured out how his tornado count thingy works.
Teddie: He shares some similarities with Faust, who was my main in GG.
Aigis: Seems very difficult to use. 120 ammo can disappear pretty fast, and when not in Orgia mode she's missing out on a bunch of moves. Heavy persona attack has it shield her, maybe her gameplan revolves around that?
Labrys: Her persona (Arachne) has very pretty attacks. Hate her Japanese voice.
Shadow Labrys: Apparently her persona is always active, and always attacks independently of her. Her heavy persona attack makes it lift an arm to shield her, looks very useful. Much prefer her voice to regular Labrys.

I can't decide who I want to play.

zlatko

Banned
Mega pumped for this. Hope the online isn't ass. :(

Hope I can afford it day one, but may have to wait till that Friday to snag it up. :(

Anyone got some cool Yosuke avatars?

Sophia

Do the P3 characters in this game references anything from The Answer? As I kind of wanting to just pass on the Answer after hearing how notoriously difficult it is.

Yes, they do reference The Answer. I won't say how, but you absolutely want to play it for Aigis's story.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
On a side note I wonder what happens for players who have the Famitsu DLC colors and those who dont when they pair off? Am guessing it will display fine and let folks play. But just thought about that now, while inputting the code.

DEAR GOD is the DLC expensive. Seriously? They couldnt have left this stuff in as unlocks with the game? The glasses especially considering this is Persona 4 we are talking about...
The Navigator voices thanks to RyogaSaotome are unlockable in game. This has been confirmed, just re-checked the store and its listed there under the description as a disclaimer.

Cosmetic (DLC only)
Color Variety Pack 1-4 250 Yen Each
All Color Variety Packs - 800 Yen
Glasses Pack 1-4 - 250 Yen Each
All Glasses Pack - 800 Yen

Which Numbered Packs Contain What. For single purchasers
Color / Glasses Pack 1 - Yu, Yukiko, Kuma
Color / Glasses Pack 2 - Chie, Naoto, Akihiko
Color / Glasses Pack 3 - Yosuke, Aigis, Labrys
Color / Glasses Pack 4 - Kanji, Mitsuru, Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys

Navigator Voice (These are able to be unlocked from playing through normally also)
Kuma - 300 Yen
Yosuke - 500 Yen
Mitsuru - 400 Yen
Fuuka - 500 Yen
Nanako - 500 Yen

Total for all DLC - 4200 Yen / Almost 70% of the cost of the game itself right there...

Yikes... it's roughly 3 dollars for each color/glasses pack (not too bad, but seriously should be a dollar) and 10 bucks each for all of them.

I agree the glasses should be an unlockable, considering how essential they are to the P4 universe.

Well, Aigis is The Fool now, thats a big The Answer reference, also the P3 MC isn't around anymore...

WHAT THE FUCK? WHERE'S RISE-CHAN???

replaced by shadow labrys
m1RKY.png

hertog

I finished persona 3, only played the first half of 4(my 60gig died and had to replace it with a ps3 slim).

I was waiting for persona 4 the golden, can I play this arena game without too much spoilers?

dokish

Banned
replaced by shadow labrys
m1RKY.png

I only watched a couple of videos of P4A because I have not beaten P4 yet (waiting for Golden, fuck) and I was like "OH YEAH, RISE-SAMA TIME"... then I saw the OP.

Such a bad decision! She's my favorite!

Oh well... I guess I can spare some love to Yukiko.

Rise-chan DLC please

RiseKujikawa-1.jpg

RS4-

OK what's this about glasses and what are they for in the game?

I watched a few EPs of the anime though. Just wondering what that means in game

I haven't jumped into story mode yet

Saprol

When you jump in the TVs in Persona 4, the world is blanketed in fog and those glasses let you see through it.

zlatko

Banned
When you jump in the TVs in Persona 4, the world is blanketed in fog and those glasses let you see through it.

Fuck your Kanji avatar is bad ass. Love the trimming on the sides too nice touch. Is there a Yosuke version of that available?

Parakeetman

As others said its just cosmetic.

Its odd that the glasses dont appear at all in the story and highly unfortunate. Since as others have mentioned its a big part of the story. (Thankfully also done before the whole hipster craze went down)

Venfayth

Took a day off work for this game :) (US release)

Also because there are locals at an arcade like ~40m away that I never get to go to because of work, so I'll get to go to those too!

Maybe they'll have a P4A release tourney or something

vocab

I'm liking the challenge mode. Seems to be progressively hard over time while teaching you some very useful stuff unlike blazblue where they throw you in the deep end with some long ass combo.

Took a day off work for this game :) (US release)

Also because there are locals at an arcade like ~40m away that I never get to go to because of work, so I'll get to go to those too!

Maybe they'll have a P4A release tourney or something

Actually have a similar situation going on in NJ.

Eight on the Break is going to be running biweekly tournaments for P4A so I'm going to start making the 40 min drive out there for some hot Persona action!

Also good afternoon P4A-GAF!

Esura

Banned
I'm liking the challenge mode. Seems to be progressively hard over time while teaching you some very useful stuff unlike blazblue where they throw you in the deep end with some long ass combo.

That's my biggest issue with their challenges. Show me around the ropes with small moves with Noel, then throw me into some uber long combo that requires you to scroll through the menu to see all of it the first time.

Parakeetman

Im going INSANE trying to pull off some of the labrys stuff using just the PS3 pad... My stick better show up tomorrow.

Is it weird im so hyped for the game even though I never played a Persona game? Hell I never even play "anime" games that much but man I cant wait for this.

I suddenly realised I don't think this game uses dragon punch motions. Which pleases me, because I tend to screw them up when I'm on the right side of the screen.

SerRodrik

Im going INSANE trying to pull off some of the labrys stuff using just the PS3 pad... My stick better show up tomorrow.

That bad, eh? Is that a unique situation for Labrys, or do all the characters suffer from that? I don't really have the money to buy a stick right now.

Top Bottom