• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena Region-Locked on PS3 - Confirmed [PR statement in OP]

Squire

Banned
A number of people thought this this was worth a thread and whether it's true or not is being questioned, so here you go:

Atlus said:
Sorry for the delayed confirmation, but yes, the PS3 version game will be region-locked. I certainly can't offer details as to why, but there might be an official response at some point.

To reiterate, our version of the game works for the North and South America regions. Also keep in mind that both the NA and JP versions have both English and Japanese text/voice options, making them nearly identical. I'm unsure of what the case will be for the EU version.

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=289142#post289142

EDIT: If people could stop coming into the thread telling me how everything is region-free, it'd be great. I got it. It's been explained. Read please. There's enough replies for the thread to be all about me at this point. Sheesh.

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3:

PR:

Friends of ATLUS,

The last week brought with it news that Persona°4 Arena™ would effectively become the first PlayStation°3 system game to be region-locked. We can today confirm that this is true; the game will be region-locked in all its respective territories of release.

As we've ascertained from your impassioned responses online, this is obviously a tremendous frustration for many fans. We understand the various perspectives on the matter. Those who fear this is a slippery slope, the beginning of a dangerous and unnecessary precedent. Those who import foreign hardware for a multitude of reasons and expect to be unlimited in their software selection. Those who aren't necessarily affected by this issue, but who are principally opposed to it. We are not blind to these concerns and we pledge to grow ever more informed as to exactly what our fans want. It should be added that we were completely unprepared for the force with which the community communicated their disapproval.

There are, however, a few points to clarify. This is NOT the beginning of a new ATLUS policy, nor do we view it as a precedent or a slippery slope. If anything, your determination and dedication to what you believe in has certainly stood in the face of that. This is an isolated case, a situation precipitated by a number of factors, some of which are simply out of our North American hands. Moreover, and perhaps there is no way to convince our fans of this considering the magnitude of the betrayal many are feeling, but we are not doing this out of malice or a desire to control. Allow us to explain.

Persona 4 Arena achieves a number of triumphs for our North American publishing house. For years, our fans have asked us to include dual language audio in our games. Finally, with P4 Arena, we were able to deliver on that desire and include the exact same content as the Japanese release for our North American fans. Moreover, our North American community is often forced to wait months for a localized release (a plight our friends across the Atlantic can relate to). Again, with P4 Arena, we're able to release within two weeks of Japan. We pushed hard for these things. We know our fans want them--well really, EXPECT them--and we did our best to get as much for our release as possible.

The unforeseen consequence in all of this was that we had a version of our biggest game of the year releasing within a couple weeks in two territories, both identical in content, but at radically different price points. Importing, as great as it is for gamers who otherwise can't get access to a title, can also cannibalize the performance of a title in one territory to the benefit of another. While we're all one big ATLUS family, the reality is that the dramatic difference between the Yen and the Dollar makes for a dramatic difference in price. So the decision was made, perhaps at the expense of some of our fans, clearly at the frustration of many, to region-lock Persona 4 Arena.

For many of you, there is no explanation that resonates, no justification that atones for this fact. We can only endeavor to earn back your confidence and, to learn from your arguments. We absolutely recognize the fear
this is the beginning of a trend. We in no way view it as such. Please also keep in mind that the game's excellent online multiplayer is global, a fact that is in no way affected by the region-lock. Players can compete against fighters from all territories.

A tremendous team of talented developers and artists poured their blood, sweat, and tears into Persona 4 Arena, and every reaction we've ever received to the game has shown that those efforts are readily apparent. The decision to region-lock P4 Arena was a business one, one that has very clearly affected how many perceive the project, but we ask you to please not overlook the exceptional efforts of the people behind the game and to work with us through constructive dialogue.

Thank you.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
PREORDER CANCELLED!11111111

No but really, preorder cancelled. Might be moving to another region in September, so I'll wait and see. Kind of crappy. Why would Atlus (of all companies) do MORE work in order to have it region locked.

Servers or the game itself?

I asked the same thing but it seems like it's the game.

Durante

If this is true I'm really disappointed in Sony for allowing it. (I'm not disappointed in Atlus, I don't expect more from them)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Uh oh. Don't you freaking dare touch our region-free gaming safe haven, Atlus.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If this is true I'm really disappointed in Sony for allowing it. (I'm not disappointed in Atlus, I don't expect more from them)

It's been allowed forever and anyone could have done it for years now.

Not buying anything from Atlus if they do print it locked. x:

Zee-Row

Banned
I always thought it didn't matter if the PS3 was region free , the publishers can still region lock their games if they wanted to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is this the first ever region lock game on ps3?

I think. I can't really recall anything that has done it on PS3.

But really stupid of Atlus. I'm thinking it's a Microsoft policy or something that's forcing their hand on it. Who knows though.

SnowHawk

Like I said in he other thread, I will not be purchasing this game. I will not and do not support region locking.

there is no excuse for this.

Squire

Banned
Servers or the game itself?

The game itself, it seems.

To people who seem to think Region-locking on PS3 doesn't happen/isn't possible, I just looked at all the PS3 games I currently own (about two dozen). They all have a 1 on the box (they work in ONE REGION. America) except Uncharted 3 which is labeled "ALL".

Region-locking happens. A LOT.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, I heard. See OP EDIT!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

To people who seem to think Region-locking on PS3 doesn't happen/isn't possible, I just looked at all the PS3 games I currently own (about two dozen). They all have a 1 on the box (they work in ONE REGION. America) except Uncharted 3 which is labeled "ALL".

None of those games are actually locked.

Cactus

Banned
Also keep in mind that both the NA and JP versions have both English and Japanese text/voice options, making them nearly identical.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if this is true, what's the big deal? The JP/ENG versions release within two weeks of each other, and they're both essentially identical.

I guess this is a negative for Europeans, though, assuming their version of the game is different (plus there's the extra wait time). It'll be interesting to hear Atlus' reasoning.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Doesn't mean they're locked. They're not.

Durante

This is completely untrue. Regardless of what the box says, all PS3 games released so far are region free.

Takao

Banned

List some of those games you own with a "Region 1" logo.

SnowHawk

Just because they have just one region code on the box doesn't mean they are region locked, every single ps3 game is region free.

this will be the first or second region locked on the ps3.

Durante

As for the idea that MS is somehow forcing Atlus to do this: LOL.

The reason is blindingly obvious: greed. They are afraid that 10 Japanese guys would rather import the US version and save a few yen.

In this case, it doesn't matter as much since all three main territories have publishers confirmed (the Europe publisher is Zen United, who has gotten substantially quicker than they used to, managing to release Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend in the EU ten days after the US version, and conveniently alongside the Vita. Although, if I'm being perfectly blunt, the odds of them shipping it this year is zero, especially if the Story mode is as long as advertised), but it still sucks, especially since it's a niche publisher that's broken the region lock boycott. I'd wager that unless the reason is very good, the Zen United version will probably be shipped unlocked, and I haven't heard anything on the contrary regarding the Japanese version.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You're wrong.

Edgeward

It's most surprising that the first offender that I hear does this is Atlus of all pubs. I sincerely hope it's not true.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if this is true, what's the big deal? The JP/ENG versions release within two weeks of each other, and they're both essentially identical.

I guess this is a negative for Europeans, though, assuming their version of the game is different (plus there's the extra wait time). It'll be interesting to hear Atlus' reasoning.
Japanese people will import the us version because it cheaper than the us version ?

hamchan

Wow. Never expected Atlus of all people to do this. Especially with their games taking ages or just never coming at all to PAL land this is extra fucked up.

This is interesting to me seeing as both the NA and JP versions of the game have both languages for voice and text. I doubt so many people will be importing that it'd eat into sales.

I'm really curious as to what the reasoning is for this.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Really hope this doesn't begin some kinda movement where every company starts region locking their games. It's what I love most about the PS3.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This is pretty wack, even though I wasn't ever going to play it anyway and the JP version is identical. I own a Japanese PS3 and play mostly US games on it, this would indeed be the first game that is region-locked.

Zoibie

What the fuck Atlus?
Way to screw over your European fans

Doesn't it release a couple of weeks later in Europe? That's what play.com have it listed as anyway, wasn't assuming it was a placeholder until now.

In any case, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come regarding Persona 4 Golden.

Squire

Banned
Skyrim
RDR
FFXIII
Soul Calibur V
Saint's Row 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age 2
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
LA NOIRE
SSX
Max Payne 3
Portal 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Prince of Persia '08
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
NIER
Soul Calibur IV

Cactus

Banned
Japanese people will import the us version because it cheaper than the us version ?

I doubt that the number of Japanese importers would have been high enough to justify a decision like this.

Maybe there's some sort of agreement between Atlus and the European publisher. There would likely have been a very large amount of Europeans importing from Japan or North America, and maybe ZEN wanted to avoid that.

Durante

This is interesting to me seeing as both the NA and JP versions of the game have both languages for voice and text. I doubt so many people will be importing that it'd eat into sales.

I'm really curious as to what the reasoning is for this.
The most likely reason by far is closely related to what you said: with both versions being equivalent, they aren't afraid of Americans importing the game, they are afraid of Japanese people importing the cheaper US version.

If the choice comes down to dual audio or a region free release I'd choose the former, but given the fact that many publishers manage to provide both I don't see why I should be forced to.

Skyrim
[...]
Soul Calibur IV
Why are you listing random games (hint: all of these are region free, I own the US version of a few and they play just fine on my PAL PS3).

SnowHawk

Skyrim
RDR
FFXIII
Soul Calibur V
Saint's Row 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age 2
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
LA NOIRE
SSX
Max Payne 3
Portal 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Prince of Persia '08
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
NIER
Soul Calibur IV

None of them are region locked.

Oh boy can't wait for the EU version to come out 6 months after the NA release.

Fuck this.

It won't be 6 months later. It was only for the first Blazblue, while ASW was looking for a new publisher. Since Zen United is doing it, there is not much of a delay anymore.

Zen United already said "get ready for persona 4 arena action in september". Something like that. Game is already playable at some expos here in Europe.

TGMIII

Doesn't it release a couple of weeks later in Europe? That's what play.com have it listed as anyway, wasn't assuming it was a placeholder until now.

In any case, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come regarding Persona 4 Golden.

Zen United are publishing it in Europe and they're always behind for absolutely no reason. They've been showing off playable builds within the UK and have yet to give a release date. All they're saying is "2012"

Ein Bear

Huh, I didn't think region locking was even possible on the PS3 without a Firmware update. I thought the system itself lacked any sort of region-checking stuff.

Omikaru

I think it's one of two reasons:

1) Zen United (P4A's European publisher) demanded it due to the fact that the game is arriving in Europe later than the US.

2) This is a thing Atlus has chosen to do itself due to the dual language audio track, in order to stop Japanese gamers importing the much cheaper US version. Normally the voice track is enough of a barrier, it seems.

I'm interested to know if they follow through with this for Persona 4: Golden. I've already paid for a US import of that, and I'd be pretty pissed if I have to cancel it and wait for an EU release.

In fact, it might be enough to make me not bother getting it at all...

Can you prove that or is it just based on what you've seen online? Seriously, not to be an asshole, but I doubt all these publishers are just lying on all these boxes.
They're region free. Just accept this wisdom as fact. I've imported many-a-game for my PS3, and some of them have the region thing on the cover as you stated. They worked perfectly fine on my EU system. This is the first time we've ever had a region locked PS3 game. There was talk that Stranglehold was going to be locked due to the movie being on the disc in some editions, but I think Midway backed down after an uproar.

Oh boy can't wait for the EU version to come out 6 months after the NA release.

Fuck this.
What the fuck Atlus?
Way to screw over your European fans

These two, but should support own region's publisher but hell Zen United hasn't even announced a release date, where's our release date??? We better get the soundtrack as well...
The first Blazblue came out near a year after America, and although Shift Extend came out like 10 days after it was a revision edition =/. I just want a release date..... ='(

Top Bottom