• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax : 2 new trailers (Koromaru + Ken Amada and Golden Arena Mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmiT

The art doesn't reflect it, I don't care what "age" they say he is. Most characters look way older than they really are.

Reminds me of Sunny from MGR, she's hot as hell and the game say she's 14, haha.

You think Sunny in MGR looks 18+? Did you somehow forget what adults look like?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looks really fun to play as. Hype rising and rising for this game.

Atlus ruled her out, too (Arc wanted to have Dojima fight while Nanako assisted in place of him having a Persona...quite serious).

Y'know, I'd remove any potential serious business/canon that the Arena games may be trying to build up in a heartbeat if it meant that this is something that would get approved.

Gbraga

Y'know, I'd remove any potential serious business/canon that the Arena games may be trying to build up in a heartbeat if it meant that this is something that would get approved.

I'd remove it even if it didn't mean we'd get that. I hated the direction they were taking the story in the first game, and I'll probably not even touch this one's story mode, I'll go for the social link stuff and online and that's it.

bonercop

Yeah, he can't go in the TV.

Eh. If they really wanted him or Nanako in the P4A line of games they could write them getting a Persona into the story. It wouldn't really be any different from how Rise's persona apparently gains combat-capabilities in the story of Ultimax.

And it sure as wouldn't be as ridiculous as Koromaru having a Persona, lol

I hate Ken so fucking much. That fucking piece of shit. The intro of that first vid actually managed to make me hate him even more.

Dude. What the fuck.
And Sunny genuinely looks like a kid.

She looks as old as a Persona 3-4 character for me, so not old but in no way a child, I actually laughed when someone told me she was supposed to be like 12 or something.

At least we can agree than Ken sucks, I have played Persona 3 SOOOO MANY TIMES and he's never in my team, just no.

You think Sunny in MGR looks 18+? Did you somehow forget what adults look like?

I don't think she looks 18+, but she sure doesn't look like she's 11 years old.

FluxWaveZ

Please, go on.

Dojima doesn't have a Persona. That's it. He has never been involved in the fantastical portion of Persona 4 and he doesn't need to be. Rise had a Persona, and it evolved just like Personas have always done throughout every single game in the series, not to mention that characters in support roles such as Mitsuru and Teddie had transitioned to battle, so this is just a case of it being done in reverse.

I'd remove it even if it didn't mean we'd get that. I hated the direction they were taking the story in the first game, and I'll probably not even touch this one's story mode, I'll go for the social link stuff and online and that's it.

I have to agree.
It seems like it's only a matter of time before P3's MC comes back, and while they'd might as well finish things up since they started opening the lid to the box, if I had my own way the box wouldn't get touched at all.

Oh god damn it I forgot Ken was/is voiced by Megumi Ogata. Just remember it's not Ken's fault... Maybe

1356079927683.png

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Also, I already know which P4AU character I'm never going to try out. It's a real shame that an awesome dog like Koromaru is tied to such a piece of shit like Ken. I hope I can use Ken as my punching bag without hitting Koromaru.

Probably not, poor Koro.:(

I'd disagree, mostly due to the artstyle. Sunny definitely comes off as a child, rather than a young-adult. I would actually completely agree that she looks like the average 14-year-old.
Also, I already know which P4AU character I'm never going to try out. It's a real shame that an awesome dog like Koromaru is tied to such a piece of shit like Ken. I hope I can use Ken as my punching bag without hitting Koromaru.

Also, Yukari is high tier character. Can't wait to play as her.

I dislike Yukari, but her playstyle and character design looks awesome.

I'm an Aigis fan, so I'll probably keep using her.

bonercop

[...]so this is just a case of it being done in reverse.

The "reverse" never happened before in the Persona series until the developers decided they wanted Rise in this game because fans requested it a lot. You know what has happened before, though? Regular humans getting Personas by facing their shadow/ being special/having the misfortune of coming across Philemon.

FluxWaveZ

The "reverse" never happened before in the Persona series until the developers decided they wanted Rise in this game because fans requested it a lot. You know what has happened before, though? Regular humans getting Personas by facing their shadow/ being special/having the misfortune of coming across Philemon.

I agree with the first sentence. We don't know the details, but whatever happened to Rise's Persona was obviously done to introduce her as a playable character.

However, I disagree that the impact of a Persona change like that is the same as the impact of a previous, relatively minor character in the series gaining a Persona.

FluxWaveZ

No it isn't.

They'd write around the canon if they really wanted to. The canonical story is like, the lowest priority when they make these spinoff games.

Wait, what? Then how do you explain them stating that canon was important for their playable character selections in P4AU? Or that they immediately dismissed Dojima and Nanako as playable characters to ASW, despite Nanako being one of the most popular Persona characters? Or that Persona Q isn't all-out crazy with Persona game references and cameos? Or that they've stated that it's important to construct relevant narrative in the spin-off games for fans of the series, which they stated in reference to Persona Q, P4AU and Persona 4 Dancing in the #Re:birth issue of Persona magazine? Or that there haven't actually been any major contradictions between the narratives of the spin-offs or the main series titles yet?

They can adjust story as they want to to fit the gameplay elements they desire, but they won't permit impossibilities (such as the presence of the Persona 3 female protagonist, for a non-spoilery example) because they obviously care about canon, which I don't know how you can argue against.

You and I can never be friends.
Seriously though, Yukari is likely the best written character in P3. And also the likely canon waifu. TAKE THAT!

I've played the game to completion several times, and I don't get it, Yukari was just a burden all along as was pretty worthless, every other girl felt more important, EVEN FUUKA.

Her becoming a fucking Power Ranger out of fucking nowhere is a plus for me. Also screw that shit, Aigis is the canon waifu for me, dat Aeon arcana.

FeMC x Aigis is my eternal OTP.

Dantis

Wait, what? Then how do you explain them stating that canon was important for their playable character selections in P4AU? Or that they immediately dismissed Dojima and Nanako as playable characters to ASW, despite Nanako being one of the most popular Persona characters? Or that Persona Q isn't all-out crazy with Persona game references and cameos? Or that they've stated that it's important to construct relevant narrative in the spin-off games for fans of the series, which they stated in reference to Persona Q, P4AU and Persona 4 Dancing in the #Re:birth issue of Persona magazine? Or that there haven't actually been any major contradictions between the narratives of the spin-offs or the main series titles yet?

They can adjust story as they want to to fit the gameplay elements they desire, but they won't permit impossibilities (such as the presence of the Persona 3 female protagonist, for a non-spoilery example) because they obviously care about canon, which I don't know how you can argue against.

My argument would be that they know that the fans care about the canon, which is they write preposterously contrived narratives to fit the game design. Arena's entire plot is a perfect example of this, and I have no doubt that Dancing All Night will be the same.

The reason that Dojima isn't playable is because it's a bad idea. It's not because the canon won't allow it.

FluxWaveZ

My argument would be that they know that the fans care about the canon, which is they write preposterously contrived narratives to fit the game design. Arena's entire plot is a perfect example of this, and I have no doubt that Dancing All Night will be the same.

The reason that Dojima isn't playable is because it's a bad idea. It's not because the canon won't allow it.

Uh... yeah, that's kinda what I've been saying.

And I never said that the reason Dojima isn't playable is because it would go against canon, so not sure why you're telling me that...?

bonercop

However, I disagree that the impact of a Persona change like that is the same as the impact of a previous, relatively minor character in the series gaining a Persona.

Meh. The fat kid who had a penis monster burst out of his belly in the snow queen quest path of P1 gets a persona off-screen by P2. Getting a persona isn't that big of a deal in the Persona universe.

FluxWaveZ

Meh. The fat kid who had a penis monster burst out of his belly in the snow queen quest path of P1 gets a persona off-screen by P2. Getting a persona isn't that big of a deal in the Persona universe.

Sure, I could see that. But that was also in the P1 and P2 era where a ton of people could just walk into the Velvet Room (and not just Persona users), where demons roamed all over the place and no one cared and where shit was just generally crazy. It's different in the P3 and P4 era, and people can't just gain a Persona by playing a game for a few minutes.

Korigama

Having the Wild Card ability wasn't considered a big deal back then either, but by P3 and P4, they started treating that as something special too.

FluxWaveZ

How is Rise becoming apt to fight a reverse process from that of Teddie ?

That's a worse example than Mitsuru's, but I mostly meant going from a support role to an assault role. Rise is doing the reverse by...

Oh, wait. I think I meant a direct relationship, not an inverse one.

Jachaos

That's a worse example than Mitsuru's, but I mostly meant going from a support role to an assault role. Rise is doing the reverse by...

Oh, wait. I think I meant a direct relationship, not an inverse one.

Ah, because Teddie went from only being able to support to being able to fight, and the same happened to Rise.

NEO0MJ

Terrifying.

Huh, Ken doesn't seem to play like Carl in BB like I thought. Interesting. Wonder how Koromaru will play into his role.

He'll probably play closer to Relius.

They'd write around the canon if they really wanted to. The canonical story is like, the lowest priority when they make these spinoff games.

Yeah, but they probably want to be consistent with which characters they market.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW! Also, it's not as much what they did and more how their character is written and how this is implemented into the events of the plot, which is where Yukari's character and development truly shines. It's basically the interaction between her and the story that makes her great, which is the same with Aigis to a lesser extent. In comparison to that, Fuuka is stale as fuck.

I knew that mentioning Fuuka would get you. :p

At least Yukari is a bit better than Ken.

So much hate for Ken. Why? What has the poor kid done to all of you?

He's just a boring character. I don't hate him, but he's really easy to forget about. I liked his social link with FeMC at least.

In terms of writing? Wat? Dude, they're not even remotely close. Hell, the majority of the cast isn't even close. Again, Yukari's character is easily one of the most consistently written characters in the entire game and her interaction to the overall plot and the other characters is surprisingly great. More so than most, really. A lot of the hate comes from her being a deeply flawed person and scarred person and her issues surfacing throughout the game, it seems. Considering I like flawed protagonists and her flaws are probably executed the most efficiently and thoroughly, I had no issues with her.

Hence the reason why she's most likely canon waifu and probably the best waifu in the game. Aigis as a waifu would weird, which is also why she doesn't have the waifu option in the first place. She's more of a very close friend and the MC played a significant role in her cognitive development (which resembled a child back in P3), hence the reason for that ending scene, which can be misinterpreted as something else.
Hey, if you're going to do that "Fuuka is better" and "a bit better than Ken" crap, I might as well return the favor =P.

Aigis doesn't need a waifu option, she's the ultimate waifu by default. :p

I was joking about the Ken stuff, he sucks so badly. Actually, it was a great idea to pair him up with Koromaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom