• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden - PC Edition |OT| The New Gold Standard

Komatsu

zde4Fnj.png

Developer: Atlus
Publisher: SEGA (PC Version)
Director: Kasura Hoshino
Artist(s): Shigenori Soejima & Susumu Nishizawa
Engine: RenderWare
Platform: PC (Previously released on Playstation Vita)
Releaste Date: June 13, 2020 (PC)

BLlmqFY.png

Persona 4 Golden takes place in the fictional, rural Japanese town of Inaba, which lies among floodplains and has its own high school and shopping districts. Unexplained murders have taken place in the small town, where bodies are found dangling from television antennas and their cause of death being unknown. At the same time, rumor has begun to spread that watching a switched-off television set on rainy midnights will reveal a person's soulmate. The game also follows the main characters into the TV World, a fog-shrouded realm filled with monsters called Shadows, which can only be accessed through TV sets.

The protagonist is a high school student, named Yu Narukami in other media, who has recently moved from the city to attend school at Inaba. At school, he quickly becomes friends with Yosuke Hanamura, the somewhat-clumsy son of the manager of the local Junes megastore; Chie Satonaka, an energetic girl with a strong interest in martial arts; and Yukiko Amagi, a calm and refined girl who helps out at her family's inn. A few days into the game, the protagonist, Yosuke, and Chie follow the "Midnight Channel" rumor, which leads them to discover the TV World and meet Teddie, a friendly creature that appears as a hollow bear costume. Using Personas, the students form an Investigation Team to investigate the connection between the TV world and the murders, and possibly capture the culprit. As the game progresses, the group gains new members, including: Kanji Tatsumi, a male delinquent who has a talent for feminine hobbies; Rise Kujikawa, a former teen idol trying to find her identity who moves to Inaba as a transfer student; and Naoto Shirogane, a young female detective investigating the case with the local police who wears masculine clothing and presents herself as male due to fear of rejection. [FROM THE WIKI]

SIZMn7C.jpg

Q5Axy.png
PLAYER CHARACTER
The protagonist (known in other media as Yu Narukami) is a high school student who moves to the countryside of Inaba to live with his uncle Ryotaro Dojima and cousin Nanako Dojima for a year as a result of his parents working abroad, and attends Yasogami High School where he meets most of the game's cast. Before reaching Inaba, however, he is summoned to the Velvet Room by Igor and his assistant Margaret, who warn him of an imminent catastrophe that is about to arrive in his destiny, and that he will have to solve a great mystery within that year, or, otherwise, his fate would have been marked in negative. Yu has no spoken dialogue in the game following the tradition of the Megami Tensei games, his only speech occurring during battle.

YS9Eg.png
YOSUKE HANAMURA

Yosuke Hanamura is a teenager who moved to Inaba a year before Yu and whose father is the manager of Inaba's Junes Department Store. In order to emphasize his origins from the city Shigenori Soejima gave him accessories such as headphones and a bicycle as well as a stylish haircut. Befriending Yu shortly after the game's beginning, Yosuke is shocked to find that his friend Saki Konishi becomes the second victim from Inaba's murders. Noticing clues between the victims and the Midnight Channel, Yosuke and Yu go to the TV world to investigate her death. He ends up confronting his Shadow who represents his resentment of living in a small country town with little to do, as well as his inner wish for something exciting to happen. With help from Yu and Teddie, Yosuke accepts his other self and forms the Investigation Team alongside him to figure out who Saki's killer is.

EZP1o.png
CHIE SATOKA
Chie Satoka is an upbeat girl with an obsession with martial arts. Although initially hesitant to get involved with the protagonist's antics, she eventually foes into the TV world when her best friend Yukiko is dangerously swallowed by that realm.

D520R.png
YUKIKO AMAGI
She is an elegant, introverted girl, popular within her school. Her family owns a famous ryokan (Japanese-style inn) in the city, and Yukiko is always busy preparing herself to take over the business. She is named the next owner of the ryokan and feels oppressed by her expected duties. Despite her elegant appearance, she carries a whimsical side prone to fits of laughter. Yukiko becomes the third victim to be sent to the TV world, where she is confronted by her Shadow who represents her resentment towards having her destiny already chosen for her as inheritor of the Amagi Inn and her desire to be rescued.

DjNPB.png
KANJI TATSUMI
Kanji is a delinquent and blowhard, known in town for being a bully and rumored to be involved in some kind of scuffle with a local biker gang.

HD77d.png
RISE KUJIKAWA
Rise Kujikawa is a cheerful girl and a immensely popular idol, known throughout Japan as Risette. She is kidnapped and taken to the TV World shortly after arriving in Inaba.

gCNWY.png
NAOTO SHIROGANE
Naoto Shirogane is a young detective who moves to Inaba in order to aid the police in investigating the serial-murder case. Although Naoto is female, she dresses in a masculine fashion and everyone in Inaba believes her to be a boy. In an attempt to solve the murder case, Naoto uses herself as bait by appearing on TV and allowing herself to be kidnapped by the culprit.
Source: Most character descriptions were taken from Wikipedia.

PEatgcd.jpg

MjaF0e0.jpg

3O3CXCo.jpg

ttHHPfD.png

1. Where can I purchase it?

2. Is there any new story or gameplay content in the PC release?

It contains all the content in the Vita edition, which had significantly more story content and some gameplay enhancements in relation to the PS2 original.

3. What technical options and/or enhancements were made to this port?

Not many, but they include:

1. Ability to increase the rendering resolution - you can finally play P4G in full HD;
  2. Uncapped framerate;
  3. For the first time, the Japanese voice track is available in the West (no more need for hacks and/or patches)

Last edited:

Komatsu

Great OP, people we finally have mainline Persona in other system instead of just Playstation. Buy it and show Atlus that people love to experience other Atlus games in other systems.

SEGA decided to publish the port themselves, which leads one to believe they were the ones pushing Atlus to finally join the XXIst century. They've been great at supporting the PC as a platform - and with Yakuza now making its way to the Xbox as well, the future of the SMT franchise will likely be multiplat as well, if only PS + PC.

rubhen925

Played the game for about 4 hours now, and am completely enjoying my retread into it. For reference it's my first and favourite persona game. While the PC version is great along with a nice price tag. There is one problem i came across. Audio cutouts. There are moments where the audio cuts in and out, very rare, but you can hear it during cutscenes. Especially the starting cutscene leading into the title screen. This confuses me as I've never had this problem with any other pc game i played this year.

For me personally this is the best Persona game and has the best Persona girl Chie! Honestly of all the games in the series this one hit me most in the feels. The others seemed to be going for emo or a more serious tone while 4 really did feel like a great game that captured the fun and magic of being that age.

Shifty1897

can u play it on mac yes or no i only have a mac answer me
It won't work natively on Mac.

The system requirements are low enough that you could probably side load windows and run it via boot camp though, but if you aren't technically minded I'm not sure if this is a solution for you.

Collin

Banned
It won't work natively on Mac.

The system requirements are low enough that you could probably side load windows and run it via boot camp though, but if you aren't technically minded I'm not sure if this is a solution for you.

my retarded aunt could install and run bootcamp, i’m not the worlds largest dipshit buddy!! but if i gotta reboot in windows everytime i wanna play a lil weeaboo anime action, i prob ain’t gonna do it :(

SEGA decided to publish the port themselves, which leads one to believe they were the ones pushing Atlus to finally join the XXIst century. They've been great at supporting the PC as a platform - and with Yakuza now making its way to the Xbox as well, the future of the SMT franchise will likely be multiplat as well, if only PS + PC.

Atlus is like: "You should be greatful"

Players: "I guess that's fine"

Sega is the one that deserves all the credit here, not Atlus.

ranmafan

Is there Japanese version release?

Yes I checked the steam store here in Japan and its there. Famitsu even says its a worldwide release. Happy for all the PC gamers who can play this today. Hopefully Sega and Atlus decide to remember us console gamers in the near future. But its great to see the series expanding into new territory

Mista

Banned
God dammit Komatsu Komatsu I just fucking loving it when you surprise me with OTs out of nowhere

I finished this beautiful game 2 times before on the Vita may god rest it soul in peace

Yesterday I started my third playthrough on steam and I gotta admit, the game plays very well.

Kazza

How grindy is this game? I'm always a little scared off by these mega-100 hour RPGs. If most of the time is spent interacting with the other characters then I don't mind, but if it's all grinding to level up then I may wait for someone to create a mod to increase the speed of levelling up.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well I’m just going to have to buy this aren’t I. It looks awesome. Not played any of the other games in the series sadly.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Well I’m just going to have to buy this aren’t I. It looks awesome. Not played any of the other games in the series sadly.
hooo boy

you're in for quite the ride (if you like it... lol)

can u play it on mac yes or no i only have a mac answer me
nope lol.

need windows.

How grindy is this game? I'm always a little scared off by these mega-100 hour RPGs. If most of the time is spent interacting with the other characters then I don't mind, but if it's all grinding to level up then I may wait for someone to create a mod to increase the speed of levelling up.
it's first and foremost a visual novel/social sim. majority of the game is reading and building relationships with people. the dungeons can be grindy but you have multiple difficulty levels. if it's too much for you then just put it on easy mode.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Bought the deluxe edition off Fanatical for $21.24. I would assume Golden has it's own specific remixes for the soundtrack?

Only played the original but have always wanted this. Instant buy but being able to pick Japanese VAs without hacking is a welcome addition. Hopefully this brings more Atlus games to PC.

Kumomeme

this game sales probably gonna determine the possibility of Persona 5 port

Atlus is testing us guys

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Downloading now. Can’t wait to play this tonight - a rare break from the Switch!

Sakura

Yes I checked the steam store here in Japan and its there. Famitsu even says its a worldwide release. Happy for all the PC gamers who can play this today. Hopefully Sega and Atlus decide to remember us console gamers in the near future. But its great to see the series expanding into new territory
Cool, might pick it up some time.

Shifty1897

I forgot how good the serial killer plot is in this game, I think the story here is better than Persona 5, even if the gameplay doesn't have all the refinements that came later.

I wasn't prepared to dump 100 hours into this game again but here we are.

Maybe add humble bundle as where to buy too.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Fitting that the OP is golden.
I’ll be holding out for P5R but always good to see more series come to PC.

Holammer

Durante wrote a port analysis on IGN. He's the guy that made DSfix for Dark Souls and ported The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel to PC. His P4G user review on Steam is amusingly the highest rated right now.
Expect to see a Digital Foundry video soon too, if they ever tire of testing Switch games that is.

Holammer

I hope they release this on playstation 4, or is it just wishful thinking

I see no reason why it won't come out on PS4, Xbox, Switch or even mobile devices soon.
Valve is not in the business of buying exclusives. Releasing first on PC is just a goodwill gesture to the up till now neglected PC fans. One which went over well too, even I bought it and I don't have much interest in the series.

wMGmgz6qynE3XharXdREvN-650-80.jpg.webp

• Graphics: Rendering scale - 25% increments all the way up to 200%, letting you run the game at lower than your display resolution, or supersample from a much higher res.
  • Graphics: Anisotropic filtering and Shadow quality - Very basic options here. Shadows have Low, Medium, High, while anisotropic filtering only has Low, High, and Off.
  • Graphics: Anti-aliasing - On or off only.
  • Display: Screen mode - Windowed, Fullscreen, Borderless
  • Display: Resolution - Configurable in fullscreen or windowed. Thanks to rendering scale, not much reason to choose a resolution other than native.
  • Display: V-Sync - On or Off. I did notice some screen tearing on a low-end system with it disabled, but if you have a variable refresh rate monitor, you likely won't need V-Sync.
  • Audio language (not pictured): Choose between English and Japanese voices.
  • Keyboard (not pictured: Customizable keybinds for each input
No fancy options here, and at first I was worried not to see framerate listed at all. But that's because it's seemingly unlocked (a bit more detail on this in the performance section below). It would be nice to see an in-game limiter with options like 30, 60, 144, etc., but still, it's wonderful to see a Japanese PC port of a decade-old game with an unlocked framerate.

Komatsu

Maybe add humble bundle as where to buy too.

Added!

God dammit Komatsu Komatsu I just fucking loving it when you surprise me with OTs out of nowhere

I finished this beautiful game 2 times before on the Vita may god rest it soul in peace

Yesterday I started my third playthrough on steam and I gotta admit, the game plays very well.

I wasn't expecting it to drop it so soon so it took me longer than expected but GAF deserved a P4G OT. :messenger_horns:

This port is pretty great for the most part but the audio stuttering during cut scenes is really bad. I've also noticed there is ghosting on everything when the screen moves/pans/scrolls.

How grindy is this game?
Grinding gets you absolutely nowhere in Persona/SMT. It's all about having the correct Personas and using the correct buffs/debuffs.

cj_iwakura

I love the original art banners, I did not like Golden's aesthetic.

How long until someone mods the game to have the original(superior) OP?

Bkdk

There's a trainer released by FLiNG where you can increase game speed, exp, edit persona stats and obtain all items/weapons etc. This is one big feature that is missing compared to the SE's older Final Fantasy PC releases. With that I bought the game and am able to enjoy this second playthrough way more. Hope to see more mods like improving the UI for handling personas in the velvet room, or even mods to change illustrations for the Personas.

Komatsu

This port is pretty great for the most part but the audio stuttering during cut scenes is really bad. I've also noticed there is ghosting on everything when the screen moves/pans.

There are people working on removing the motion blur and adjusting the cutscene frame rate.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh this is the only non switch thing I’m playing right now. Battles seem like standard JRPG fare but I’m not too far in so maybe it gets more complex later, but I like where the plot seems to be going - I don’t think western developers would attempt something like this (then again you can say the same about Catherine).

Komatsu

Tbh this is the only non switch thing I’m playing right now. Battles seem like standard JRPG fare but I’m not too far in so maybe it gets more complex later, but I like where the plot seems to be going - I don’t think western developers would attempt something like this (then again you can say the same about Catherine).

Regarding the plot: trust me, it gets a lot better and it goes places that most western devs wouldn't dare to tread.

Top Bottom