• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden (Vita) -- E3 2012 Trailer

Atlus can try their damndest to make me double dip on this, but reason shall prevail; I will not buy a Vita over this!

Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong.

Shahed

Atlus can try their damndest to make me double dip on this, but reason shall prevail; I will not buy a Vita over this!

I've already accepted the fact I'm double dipping. I'm more worried triple dipping!

Do I import a US version and end up buying it again when it releases in the UK, or do I just wait? Why can't Atlus show the EU some love?

Slayven

The staff is obvious Jetman fans

Jetman+02.jpg

It's nice to see the Featherman shout out that started with the P2 kids.

Who incidentally would be in their early 30s now. Oh my, time waits for no one. And why should it? The Time Count was right...

I'd say more likely that this confirms that...

Marie is Aigis. Aeon indeed.
What? I don't even... How do you even come to a conclusion like that? That's like seeing a picture of kanji and assuming he's secretly Akihiko. Aigis is in P4A anyway, so that makes even less sense.

I do wish the pictures were labeled something a bit more informative than idunnolol though, considering they spoil the entire new plotline. I kinda wanted to find out on my own, but oh well.
Marie's saying her real name is Kusumi-no-Ookami and her purpose is to inform the Sagiris about humanity's true desires.

GorillaJu

Not going to look at the Mari stuff. Thanks for putting that in spoilers - its the one thing I'll save for myself at the end here.

One thing that confuses me about the fanservice stuff is that Persona's audience seems to be very female-dominated. On the train last week I saw a middle school girl reading the strategy guide. Today I saw a girl on the way to college who had a Teddie cell phone charm. At the bus stop I overheard two girls talking about which party members they used. When my students at school (public high school) asked me what game I'm playing and I answered Persona, the only people who knew of it were girls.

So what's up with the extended animated hot spring scene, Naoto's dominatrix-looking outfit, Chie's boobs, etc?

Mah, I guess this is Japan, where girl's fashion mags have multiple-page nude spreads of women, and Playboy is like a tamer Maxim. But still, it's surprising.

That Naoto fanservice, holy shit.

I thought the Naoto fans liked her BECAUSE she wasn't all dressed up.

I indeed liked her all dressed up because I was wondering what she looked like etc. not revealing it in p4 was great because it left me intrigued.

The thing is, I have already purchased this game. Now I have a reason to dive in again.

I've always been a sucker for fanservice. I am certainly part of the problem.

Mind you I do not own a vita. My rule for a console is there must be 5 games I want. This counts as 3, uncharted 1. Getting close.

GorillaJu

Oh so they went back to being able to walk at night like P3.
I'm guessing some areas are locked out?

You're limited to only a few areas and you can't go out without a good reason when Dojima is at home. There isn't that much to do at night that I've seen, but you can use it as an opportunity to get points in social links so you don't have to waste day time with someone only for the link to not level up. it warns you if you're going to level up the link or not. A few times it said "you feel like your relationship with (balhalahaj) isn't going get any deeper" so I went somewhere else, hung out with that person at night, then leveled them up at the next opportunity. They also give you items at night.

Also, the pharmacy lady is a snack hostess at night ("Snack" is a bar for men where typically middle aged women flirt with you while you drink, it's like a more serious hostess bar). If you bring her jewels you found in the dungeons you can trade for weapons - unfortunately the quality of the weapons lags severely behind what you can get on the TV, or at the blacksmith's shop or in golden chests. By the time I've collected enough jewels to trade for a weapon, the one I already have equipped is inevitably better.

Another thing that makes this game easier is that when you die you don't have to restart from loading. You can just restart from the last floor change. It kind of makes the jump to Hard mode not very hard since the death penalty is very lenient. The hardest part of hard mode is the expensive Persona Compendium =\

Pirabear

Banned
That Naoto fanservice, holy shit.

I thought the Naoto fans liked her BECAUSE she wasn't all dressed up.

That's partially a reason in my case, but I mainly like her because I felt that she was the most interesting of the female cast in terms of both her social link and internal struggles in general, which I'm assuming Atlus hasn't touched. The fanservicy thong outfit is creepy and obvious otaku pandering sure, but to say Atlus is destroying her character is like saying Mitsuru's dominatrix outfit in P3:Fes destroyed her character (not saying you said that btw).

XeroSauce

I indeed liked her all dressed up because I was wondering what she looked like etc. not revealing it in p4 was great because it left me intrigued.

The thing is, I have already purchased this game. Now I have a reason to dive in again.

I've always been a sucker for fanservice. I am certainly part of the problem.

Mind you I do not own a vita. My rule for a console is there must be 5 games I want. This counts as 3, uncharted 1. Getting close.

What's the other one? I'm honestly thinking about getting a Vita just for this but I need more games as well.

Thanks for doing my work for me. :D

XeroSauce

That's partially a reason in my case, but I mainly like her because I felt that she was the most interesting of the female cast in terms of both her social link and internal struggles in general, which I'm assuming Atlus hasn't touched. The fanservicy thong outfit is creepy and obvious otaku pandering sure, but to say Atlus is destroying her character is like saying Mitsuru's dominatrix outfit in P3:Fes destroyed her character (not saying you said that btw).

I'm glad that it's just costumes, but I'm just waiting for the word that they changed some of the less exciting Social Link events. I see it coming.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Will this retain the VA off option like P3 FES? I'm willing to give the series another go but honestly hearing people say Senpai and crap while speaking in English really pisses me off for some reason. If this does the same thing I'd like to be able to turn the VA off.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, apparently Atlus is saying the game sold 147k in the first 3 days, not too shabby at all. Also that ~40k Vitas were sold that week, as opposed to the regular ~18k.

Duffyside

Banned
Fuck, I just had the P4: Golden Ending spoiled for me.

Chie is fucking hot

Can you let us (me) if the ending is at all significant? I figured it would just be some pandering fanservice, which I'm looking forward to, but I'm not expecting some big reveal or any additional closure...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Can you let us (me) if the ending is at all significant? I figured it would just be some pandering fanservice, which I'm looking forward to, but I'm not expecting some big reveal or any additional closure...

Did Chie in particular do something significant or get a lot of focus in the new ending?

Ending Spoiler:
I haven't seen the ending to P4 yet even though I'm at the end with every Persona, but there was a picture that looked like it was taken a year or two later when MC visits the town. I think this was unique to Golden. I don't know anything else about the ending except seeing the picture, as I tried to avoid spoiling anything else.

lol @ Kanji too.
Picture in question: http://i.imgur.com/tO2Yj.png

ultron87

OK, figured this would be a good thread to ask: Are the persona games connected? Should I play the older games to catch up before 4 comes out?
4 has some cameos from 3 but that is pretty much it. The first two games are effectively a different series. You'll be more than fine just starting with 4.

OK, figured this would be a good thread to ask: Are the persona games connected? Should I play the older games to catch up before 4 comes out?

Yeah, but loosely. The connection seems to be mostly that they take part in the same universe, years apart. Occasionally and older or younger version of a character from an earlier/later game shows up. All the games are self contained, independent stories with a little bit of overlap. No real reason not to start with 4.

CrazyDude

4 has some cameos from 3 but that is pretty much it. The first two games are effectively a different series. You'll be more than fine just starting with 4.

They are all set in the same universe, but the connection between 4 and the rest is very minimal.

There are small reference in P3 to the other two games. Persona 1 and Persona 2 are probably the most connected each other because of recurring characters.

Thoraxes

They are all set in the same universe, but the connection between 4 and the rest is very minimal.

There are small reference in P3 to the other two games. Persona 1 and Persona 2 are probably the most connected each other because of recurring characters.

The closest thing P4 has to the rest of the Persona games is you-know-who being the you-know-what with the savepoint.

Top Bottom