• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5/Dancing All Night (2015), Persona Q/P4AU (Fall 2014) for NA

kick51

Banned
Guys, I got this super secret footage of Persona 5 from that site, looks like TVs are still in:

Zmq4ren.gif

LOL what is this gif from?

Cyrano

Not sure if it's exactly the same, but Persona 4 Golden was one of the least grindy JRPG's I've ever played. I barely fused any personas until the end game, and that was mainly for trophy hunting.
I didn't play Persona 4 Golden but I did play P3P, P3Fes and the original P4. They all had a fair amount of grinding to them (especially if you were going for 1-game full social links run). Persona 3 FES, particularly The Answer... just... yeah. So much grinding.

Nyoro SF

Not sure if it's exactly the same, but Persona 4 Golden was one of the least grindy JRPG's I've ever played. I barely fused any personas until the end game, and that was mainly for trophy hunting.

Yeah my P4G experience was not very grindy.

Maybe that's because I went in god damn hard on
Rise's
social link, which gives you fantastic bonuses during battle...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The connection however is nonsensical and you're effectively arguing for the game giving you less options as to how to play it. It's an easy thing to disconnect and makes the game more interesting on both sides, because it encourages the player to play the way they want to, rather than having an arbitrary system link forcing you to.

What's more, even with maxed social links, the game does not become significantly easier. Just slightly easier. I would like to see more focus on the social aspect of the game but from the perspective of a greater narrative arc for characters, not just vignettes which only peek into their lives and don't greatly connect all the characters together except in "Events." Like, the game forces itself into a system where it plays out more like a dating simulator than it needs or even really seems like it wants to.

I suppose I just don't understand how the game would be "better" if you made one half of the game have no particular impact on the other. It would just make the experience feel disjointed in my estimation.

I also don't necessarily agree with the "let the player play the way he wants to" thing. That works in Skyrim, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me in terms of a Persona game.

fertygo

I didn't play Persona 4 Golden but I did play P3P, P3Fes and the original P4. They all had a fair amount of grinding to them (especially if you were going for 1-game full social links run). Persona 3 FES, particularly The Answer... just... yeah. So much grinding.

I don't need many grind when playing P4 and P3, so there's that.. S-link stuff shouldn't count as "grinding" though, that sound absurd.. because its the non-combat thing.

The Answer yeah.. because its supposed to being hard mode or something.

Cyrano

Slow down, they just announced it. Well maybe see an announcement for that around summer.
I don't think there's any particular harm in asking. :)
I suppose I just don't understand how the game would be "better" if you made one half of the game have no particular impact on the other. It would just make the experience feel disjointed in my estimation.
It already feels disjointed, I'm not sure how disconnecting them would make it feel more disjointed. In my opinion it would make each of them feel like their own thing, rather than an awkwardly mashed together thing.
I also don't necessarily agree with the "let the player play the way he wants to" thing. That works in Skyrim, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me in terms of a Persona game.
We'll agree to disagree here. I think player freedom is important, and given that only a few social links are ever required, I think it's important to the Persona developers as well.

bonercop

*shrug* i played vanilla p3 and p4, and i never really had to grind. I'm always a little surprised when people post 100 hour playtimes for these games.

SykoTech

Entirely expected. Well, for those with common sense anyway.

Anyone who thought that Sega would not let these be localized (lol) can join the 3DS/iOS people in the panic-over-nothing corner.

Looking forward to P5 and Arena Ultimax.

hohoXD123

Hey, so I'm offsite right now and don't have the wherewithall to comb through all your questions, but here's a general amount of stuff you can mull over:

1) We're trying to avoid region-locking on P4AU
2) For all the releases (except PQ), we're trying to be relatively close to Japan's release. Not Dragon's Crown close, but close.
3) No rumblings about anything on PS4 yet, that shit just launched in Japan. Keep your fingers crossed for solid sales.
4) SO HYPE FOR DANCING ALL NIGHT.

Awesome! Any word on region locking for Persona 5? Plus any news on whether NA and EU releases will be simultaneous/close together?

Hey, so I'm offsite right now and don't have the wherewithall to comb through all your questions, but here's a general amount of stuff you can mull over:

2) For all the releases (except PQ), we're trying to be relatively close to Japan's release. Not Dragon's Crown close, but close.
3) No rumblings about anything on PS4 yet, that shit just launched in Japan. Keep your fingers crossed for solid sales.

P4D will be retail too ?

It's very IMPORTant question ;)

Cyrano

I don't need many grind when playing P4 and P3, so there's that.. S-link stuff shouldn't count as "grinding" though, that sound absurd.. because its the non-combat thing.

The Answer yeah.. because its supposed to being hard mode or something.
Given how I play, Social Links I don't particularly care for feel like grinding to me. I enjoyed the writing for Persona 3 Portable's characters so that at least makes me hopeful, as it seems like the Persona series' writing has gotten better over time. Still, the attachment of one system to the other feels awkward. I think it's at its best when the connections are more specious to begin with, such as the Shrine Fox.

fek

When it was announced I thought it looked ok or just fine, but now those Dancing All Night screens actually look amazing. Here's hoping Love Live follows the same pattern, considering both are developed by Dingo.

MCD

Forget PS4. Any chance for X360 Persona 5 release at least in NA/EU?

Son Of D

I can't help but expect these to be region locked. Then again, with the gap between JP and NA releases they might not do it this time.

Lime

I just put on different recorded lectures, TV shows, films, or documentaries while I laid on my couch with my PSP playing Persona 3 PSP last year. It was actually really relieving to grind in these contexts.

Cyrano

I just put on different recorded lectures, TV shows, films, or documentaries while I laid on my couch with my PSP playing Persona 3 PSP last year. It was actually really relieving to grind in these contexts.
That's... actually not a bad idea.

Persona 5 2015 is super disappointing after they managed to get Persona 4 out so soon after its JP release. Gonna miss out on playing it during the holidays :(

Acid08

Banned
Persona 5 2015 is super disappointing after they managed to get Persona 4 out so soon after its JP release. Gonna miss out on playing it during the holidays :(
We don't even know when it's coming out in Japan outside of the general "winter" timeframe. It's not like it's going to take a year to come out in the US.

Persona 4 came out in Japan in July and North America in December. That's pretty good turnaround, but based on P5's expected JP release date (winter 2014) a North American Q2 release would be in line with P4.

fertygo

P5 japan's release is late 2014 (if true anyway) bro, even if they putting it quick its already 2015.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

We don't even have a release date for JP but there's no way it isn't basically end of the year, so pretty much any delay at all is going to push P5 into 2015 for a domestic release.

Cyrano

We don't even have a release date for JP but there's no way it isn't basically end of the year, so pretty much any delay at all is going to push P5 into 2015 for a domestic release.
Yeah, agreed.

People need to chill out about believing localization is some kind of Eldritch magic that just happens. Good translations take time.

I wonder if ( I daren't even say when) these will be announced for EU? will P4A2 be region locked? Will it take WAY too long to come over here (assuming it does at all)

Yawnier

Banned
I'm thoroughly looking forward to Persona 5 and Persona Q, nice to see that the NA releases for these games will hopefully be timely.

Now let's play my favourite game. It's called "how screwed over will Europe be this time round?".

I have little to no faith that Persona Q will hit Europe this year. Still waiting for SMT 4 as well.

I can't even be assured with the absence of PS3 region lock when it comes to Persona 5 because Arena already set a precedence. Can't remember how long it took for Arena to finally arrive and if repeated for Persona 5 then well, way into 2016 and I'll be dreading to see what EU sales figures would look like.

Yawnier

Banned
I think I'm most hype for Ultimax since it "supposedly" fully explains the fog from Persona 4.

I would also be looking forward to that one too, but I haven't even played original 4: Arena yet. Might pick it up on this PSN sale though.

Top Bottom