• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5/Dancing All Night (2015), Persona Q/P4AU (Fall 2014) for NA

I wish this was coming to the PS4 also for easy streaming really. Either way, I'm excited!

Omg yess....would watch all day.

Why is everyone so upset about it being a PS3 game?

I don't remember many people complaining about P3 and P4 being PS2 titles when the PS3 was already out..

The uptake to next gen this time around is far quicker. People just want Atlus to also have a PS4 SKU.

Also Persona is so much more popular now than it was in those days.

Jisgsaw

why isnt this coming to ps4 again? I wouldnt even care if it was the exact same thing just ported, with absolutely nothing changed. I doubt i will still be playing ps3 in 2015 whenever this comes out

the span of Persona 4's release to localization was roughly six months...so we are looking at a summer 2015 release if that holds true today. Will wait for Persona 5 golden or whatever it will be. Not spending 60 dollars on a ps3 game in mid-2015

Because it would be too expensive to do a PS4 game (because even if you don't care for the graphics, it's simply not a good strategy to bring a PS4 game that looks just like a PS3 game).

Well, let's hope it won't be region locked, even if I really don't see a point for Atlus doing that.
Or lets pray Atlus learns something from editing the game themselves in Europe, but I won't hold my breath for that.

Cyrano

I guess I don't really understand the complaint. The simulator aspect being tied to the JRPG aspect is what makes them Persona games (P1 and 2 notwithstanding).
I don't actually think so. I think the games would be just as strong without the direct connection. Rather, it still feels like a shoehorned way of making one part of the game relevant to the other, when they don't need to be. The sim part is good on its own, and the dungeon crawling is good on its own. They don't need to be so arbitrarily linked.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't remember many people complaining about P3 and P4 being PS2 titles when the PS3 was already out..

In fairness, the original PS3 had full PS2 backwards compatibility so it didn't matter.

I don't actually think so. I think the games would be just as strong without the direct connection. Rather, it still feels like a shoehorned way of making one part of the game relevant to the other, when they don't need to be. The sim part is good on its own, and the dungeon crawling is good on its own. They don't need to be so arbitrarily linked.

I don't really see it as arbitrary though. Both P3 and P4 are super grindy and actually kind of hard without using S. Links to get level boosts to your Personas.

MarkusRJR

A ton of PS2 owners moved to Xbox 360 and now won't able to play the game, despite other Persona (P4A) and Persona team games (Catherine) coming to the console.

The people who own Ps4's are annoyed because they have to move around their setup two years into the new gen to accommodate one game. There's no backwards compatibility this time around so they can't just pop it in their console and get it to work like you could with launch era PS3's.

Not sure I agree with the anger of either group but as someone who has a spotty PS3 and a totally working Xbox 360 it's kind of annoying. I mean I'll still try to play the game (day one!) but it'd be easier for me to get it on a different console (that doesn't sound like a jet engine and has constant disc read errors, haha).

Korigama

the span of Persona 4's release to localization was roughly six months...so we are looking at a summer 2015 release if that holds true today.
Five months for P4, and no, it doesn't. Atlus' localization turnarounds have long since gotten quicker, as SMT IV's localization took two months.

Are we going to do this in every thread? You can argue all you want that what happened with the first Arena wont happen again but I'll believe it when I see it.
To be fair, I totally blame Atlus for P4A but wasn't it Arc that pushed for region locking for fear of reverse imports?
I wouldn't assume P4A2 would be region free but I don't really see the other 2 games being region locked.

But yeah, fuck Atlus for creating that doubt in the first place.

bonercop

my problem with persona games being 60+ hours isn't the dungeon crawling and rpg combat elements themselves so much as the fact that they're lacking the variety and depth required to remain interesting from start to finish. the combat and the dungeons always get to be a real drag half-way through because you've seen all the games' tricks in like the first 20 hours.

Soriku

why isnt this coming to ps4 again? I wouldnt even care if it was the exact same thing just ported, with absolutely nothing changed. I doubt i will still be playing ps3 in 2015 whenever this comes out

the span of Persona 4's release to localization was roughly six months...so we are looking at a summer 2015 release if that holds true today. Will wait for Persona 5 golden or whatever it will be. Not spending 60 dollars on a ps3 game in mid-2015

P4 was 6 months, but SMT IV was less than 2. P5 won't take long to get here.

I understand the issue of not owning a PS3 and not wanting to buy one for P5 (especially if you already owned one and sold it after playing most/all the games you wanted) but if you own a PS3, this complaint just seems like nonsense to me. You're not going to going to spend $60 on undoubtedly one of the best games of 2015 and one that'll last you you 60-80 if not 100+ hours just by the virtue of it being on an old system? Well, your loss if this irrationally is worth more than a good long game.

By 2015 PS3s will be pretty cheap I bet. I'm just glad that P5 is a console game. Atlus RPGs don't really need next-gen visuals, even if I'd prefer it.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Just out of curiosity, Persona Q is retail of course right? I have little doubt since the Conception 2 unveiling showed the eShop logo and it's retail bound, just curious.

Retail confirmed for NA. Can't say either way for EU - no details yet for our bros across the atlantic.

I hope P5 wasn't rushed. I hope they were working on it right after Catherine.

Maybe they'll use the same assets so the work would be faster.

It seems out of the blue with no screens or trailers.

And to those who wanted this on PS4: I'm glad it's not on Ps4 since I don't have one! :p

But I may get a Ps4 by 2015 so...

...but don't mind me because I wanted Persona 5 on the Vita
or Wii U.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Five months for P4, and no, it doesn't. Atlus' localization turnarounds have long since gotten quicker, as SMT IV's localization took two months.

I think there's a lot of incentive to do it faster when you're releasing this late into the generation, too. But we'll see. I think we'd all be disappointed if P5 wasn't significantly more complex (and thus more work to localize) than P4, given P4 is a 6 year old game from two generations ago. Not to mention that P4G added tons of text and vocalized dialogue, a trend I'd expect to go even further in P5.

Cyrano

I don't really see it as arbitrary though. Both P3 and P4 are super grindy and actually kind of hard without using S. Links to get level boosts to your Personas.
So you're saying you like it being super grindy? If taking the connection out contributed to the game being less grindy, I would be 10000000% for it.

P4 was 6 months, but SMT IV was less than 2. P5 won't take long to get here.

I understand the issue of not owning a PS3 and not wanting to buy one for P5 (especially if you already owned one and sold it after playing most/all the games you wanted) but if you own a PS3, this complaint just seems like nonsense to me. You're not going to going to spend $60 on undoubtedly one of the best games of 2015 and one that'll last you you 60-80 if not 100+ hours just by the virtue of it being on an old system? Well, your loss if thus irrationally is worth more than a good long game.

well, I do own a ps3 right now. Will probably end up selling it..i was really only keeping it for the left behind dlc for last of us. Ps3 is overall an atrocious experience compared to ps4 to me at least. It was so hard to go back to the crappy xmb, slow menus, jet turbine fan my system has become...i would pay 60 dollars for an exact copy of a ps3 game on ps4 so i dont have to deal with my ps3 anymore

Guys, I got this super secret footage of Persona 5 from that site, looks like TVs are still in:

Zmq4ren.gif

Excellent. Will buy.

Angry Grimace

So you're saying you like it being super grindy?

I'm saying it super grindy if you DON'T do the Social Links. The S. Links are what let you progress in the dungeons without having to spend hours grinding because you get access to higher level personas and skills by using the system. The way P3 and P4 were set up, the RPG elements would be broken if you weren't' using the S. Links.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the idea that decoupling the RPG elements and the simulator elements makes much sense in context of the series.

MSMrRound

Besides, more PS4's have already sold than this game will sell copies in NA.

You sure you are not assuming that there's a 1:1 attach ratio between number of PS4 owners and the number of people that are potentially going to buy Persona 5 if it ended up on the PS4? I fail to see how shifting it to the PS4 will justify the costs in doing so. If they can only move a certain amount of copies on the PS3, what makes you think shifting to the PS4 is going to give them the much needed boost?

Nah, P5 on the PS3 is good enough. PS4 is more suitable for P6, when the number of PS4 adopters are highly with releases of titles such as FF15 or Kingdom Hearts 3.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wish I could say I'm surprised by all the bitching and moaning but I'm not. Persona 5 was announced as PS3 awhile ago. If you wanted it, you should have held on to your systems. The PS3 is not going anywhere for another two years. We all knew this. Deal with it.

Beg for a Persona 5 Platinum on PS4 in 2017.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Hey, so I'm offsite right now and don't have the wherewithall to comb through all your questions, but here's a general amount of stuff you can mull over:

1) We're trying to avoid region-locking on P4AU
2) For all the releases (except PQ), we're trying to be relatively close to Japan's release. Not Dragon's Crown close, but close.
3) No rumblings about anything on PS4 yet, that shit just launched in Japan. Keep your fingers crossed for solid sales.
4) SO HYPE FOR DANCING ALL NIGHT.

tookhster

Man how am I gonna keep my 5 year old PS3 alive until 2015?

The damn thing is gonna be on life support collecting dust. I can imagine popping the P5 disc in once it comes out and my PS3 getting the YLOD.

Cyrano

I'm saying it super grindy if you DON'T do the Social Links. The S. Links are what let you progress in the dungeons without having to spend hours grinding because you get access to higher level personas and skills by using the system. The way P3 and P4 were set up, the RPG elements would be broken if you weren't' using the S. Links.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the idea that decoupling the RPG elements and the simulator elements makes much sense in context of the series.
The connection however is nonsensical and you're effectively arguing for the game giving you less options as to how to play it. It's an easy thing to disconnect and makes the game more interesting on both sides, because it encourages the player to play the way they want to, rather than having an arbitrary system link forcing you to.

What's more, even with maxed social links, the game does not become significantly easier. Just slightly easier. I would like to see more focus on the social aspect of the game but from the perspective of a greater narrative arc for characters, not just vignettes which only peek into their lives and don't greatly connect all the characters together except in "Events." Like, the game forces itself into a system where it plays out more like a dating simulator than it needs or even really seems like it wants to.

I hope P5 wasn't rushed. I hope they were working on it right after Catherine.

Maybe they'll use the same assets so the work would be faster.

It seems out of the blue with no screens or trailers.

And to those who wanted this on PS4: I'm glad it's not on Ps4 since I don't have one! :p

But I may get a Ps4 by 2015 so...

...but don't mind me because I wanted Persona 5 on the Vita
or Wii U.

Do you how long its been since we have had a new Persona mainline or since Catherine.

Also having a PS4 SKU doesn't automatically mean the PS3 version disappears.

Rise needs to button up her shirt -___-

Hey, so I'm offsite right now and don't have the wherewithall to comb through all your questions, but here's a general amount of stuff you can mull over:

2) For all the releases (except PQ), we're trying to be relatively close to Japan's release. Not Dragon's Crown close, but close.
3) No rumblings about anything on PS4 yet, that shit just launched in Japan. Keep your fingers crossed for solid sales.

so persona q for november ?

Lusankya

Nice, sounds great!

Btw. who is responsible for how fast these games will come to Europe? Is their already an idea who could publish them there?

fertygo

I thought its already slated for Fall release?
Because that's fairly close to the japanese release, except if its for november.

Neoxon

Isn't the reason mainly for tournaments? I think I read EVO is all Xbox 360 now, no?
Not all 360, but they'll use a 360 if it runs certain games better, like USF4 & UMvC3. If the PS3 version is better, they'll use that version...or if it's only on PS3.

LOL at the thought of playing Persona 4, a PS2 game, in 2008. Sony needs to shell out some money and get this damn thing on PS3.
Well to be fair, persona's popularity skyrocketed with p4g's release. I mean golden was a good port and stuff being but I think being on Vita(a new platform with little to no good jrpgs) helped out a lot. A lot of people slept on that game when it was on ps2. Athough I think PS3 In 2015 will get more attention than PS2 in 2008/9. And if it gets released on PS NOW, it'll be huge.

Seeing how Atlus milks a Persona game like crazy, I'm assuming we'll see:

1) A Vita version like Golden in a couple years.
2) A PS4 version a year later with extra features and a new playable character of course!

In fairness, the original PS3 had full PS2 backwards compatibility so it didn't matter.

Not sure if it's exactly the same, but Persona 4 Golden was one of the least grindy JRPG's I've ever played. I barely fused any personas until the end game, and that was mainly for trophy hunting.

Top Bottom