• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT3| Ryuji Did Nothing Wr- [DELETED BY ADMIN]

_Ryo_

I still have palace
theme music stuck in my head and it's been months since I've last played. I'm feeling the urge to do NG+ but I dunno if I have the time.

Also I still think the final boss was entirely too easy. Persona 3 continues to have the best final boss.

Nictel

I still have palace
theme music stuck in my head and it's been months since I've last played. I'm feeling the urge to do NG+ but I dunno if I have the time.

Also I still think the final boss was entirely too easy. Persona 3 continues to have the best final boss.

I dunno the hardest part of the P3 final boss is
'Marin Karin' Mitsuru

So somehow I beat all of P4G and most of P5 and only now discovered that you can buy SP items. These games would have been soooo much easier had I know the vending machines were actually worth going to.

I knew they were there, but I stopped using them after the first dungeon. Just not enough value to them to make running around town every week (two weeks? I don't remember the exact restock time) worth it. Especially because the shadows in the lasts stretch of dungeon 1 generally demand more of your SP than these drinks can refund (only 5 SP a pop).

Lynx_7

I dunno the hardest part of the P3 final boss is
'Marin Karin' Mitsuru

Charm does play a big role on how difficult P3's final boss can be, but not because of Mitsuru. As long as you set up her tactics correctly she shouldn't be using Marin Karin, specially not against a boss.

The biggest issue with P3's final boss is how random the last stretch of the battle is. Whether you win, lose or keep stuck in the last form for hours depends entirely on
Night Queen
shenanigans. My brother lost his first run at the very end because of a well placed Rage on Minato, and on a latter run Akihiko got charmed, used diarahan on the boss, I took its health down to where it was before (because he rage quitted and I took the controller lol), this time Yukari was charmed, used Diarahan on the boss again, and we had to deplete its health a third time and pray nobody got charmed. So yeah, it's more of an endurance run than a truly challenging fight, but it's still much tougher than
Yalda

Best WTF in the game is When you Max/romance
Temperence
, and romance
devil

Why you ask?

Because then you can call over Temp, whom you are dating, and have her make coffee, then have the good doctor come over to have some 'coffee' upstairs in your room.

Zertez

Best WTF in the game is When you Max/romance
Temperence
, and romance
devil

Why you ask?

Because then you can call over Temp, whom you are dating, and have her make coffee, then have the good doctor come over to have some 'coffee' upstairs in your room.
When I romanced everyone, I had a similar situation happen often. 1st noticed it when Kawa was making curry for me and the doctor came over. Then it happened with every night girl I had like Ohya and Hifumi. That would be a tough situation to get out of, but none of the ladies said anything. Hope in future games the group acknowledges if you have a girlfriend.

Nictel

Charm does play a big role on how difficult P3's final boss can be, but not because of Mitsuru. As long as you set up her tactics correctly she shouldn't be using Marin Karin, specially not against a boss.

The biggest issue with P3's final boss is how random the last stretch of the battle is. Whether you win, lose or keep stuck in the last form for hours depends entirely on
Night Queen
shenanigans. My brother lost his first run at the very end because of a well placed Rage on Minato, and on a latter run Akihiko got charmed, used diarahan on the boss, I took its health down to where it was before (because he rage quitted and I took the controller lol), this time Yukari was charmed, used Diarahan on the boss again, and we had to deplete its health a third time and pray nobody got charmed. So yeah, it's more of an endurance run than a truly challenging fight, but it's still much tougher than
Yalda

Yeah, I lost most of the times due to charm related incidents. It did involve Marin Karin though. Mainly against my own party members.

OrbOutrider

Neo Member
When I romanced everyone, I had a similar situation happen often. 1st noticed it when Kawa was making curry for me and the doctor came over. Then it happened with every night girl I had like Ohya and Hifumi. That would be a tough situation to get out of, but none of the ladies said anything. Hope in future games the group acknowledges if you have a girlfriend.

Recognition of relationships would've been awesome banter material for Mementos. Like dating more than one would lead to Ryuji almost revealing your sexual adventures to everyone.

Finally started my NG+ playthrough. If there's one thing I like about Persona, it's how it always feels like you're coming home in a sense. (Even if everyone treats you like shit in the beginning of this game.)

Tried to remote play it on my Mac, but kind of disappointed by the obvious drop in image quality. I thought it would be a nice way to bypass the stupid screenshot block, but I'm not so sure anymore now... It seems the Vita has better image quality, though, so I might try that as well.

I went with the Japanese voices again, but I still wonder if I shouldn't pick the English ones instead. The lack of subtitles in animated scenes and when watching movies (either at home or at the theater) is annoying. But since I'm used to everyone's Japanese voices, I fear the English ones will just sound weird. I guess I should decide soon, since switching too far into the game isn't an option for me either.

Edit: Switched to English. The protagonist's voice sounds kind of weird, but Sojiro's is fine. The only thing that's bothering me so far (just introduced myself at school) is how the game switches between full dub and voice grunts. Why leave out a few lines in between scenes? It just sounds cheap. I could've sworn everything in these scenes was voiced in Japanese, as well.

Nictel

So after about ten tries or something I am going to say that lvl 42 is too low for the fifth end boss.
I keep dying at the executive bot. Though an amazing animation, the Burger special wipes out my party most of the time. It being almighty damage I also can't counter it other than by guarding.
That's on hard BTW, it is a shame as I did the palace in one day.

Remove party members that have harrisen recovery and the special will heal people that have the debuff. On Merciless at lvl 41 it took a few tries but it is doable. You can always use a persona with enduring, salvation etc.

That attack heals HP for all characters who are hungry instead of dealing damage.

No idea what level I was but I probably found that fight the toughest of the palace bosses on hard

I actually died a few times on the Futaba one because I had no items that cured despair and main character and Makoto kept getting hit with it at the same time

Finished it,
of course after using characters without harrisan recovery none of the characters are hungry when the attack hits xD. Lvl 42 is doable (I was 43 now) but it is also a bit of luck. In my case,
Yusuke's counterstrike went off removing almost half its health. So a good strategy might be using physical reflects also.

Does anyone use party member
Haru
often?
She seems really weak. She is the same level as the rest of the team and has good armor but she constantly dies. A lot.

Haru
often?
She seems really weak. She is the same level as the rest of the team and has good armor but she constantly dies. A lot.
She does insane amounts of multi target gun damage (especially if you get all her Persona passive abilities), so yes. I used her more than I thought I would; she's especially effective for just literally blowing away regular encounters.

Haru
often?
Shes the 3rd strongest party member in raw power. Ryuji > Ann > Haru. One Shot Kill stacked with Cripple and Snipe does consistently high damage. The only reason she cant beat Ryuji and Ann is because she doesn't get Charge(concentrate in Ann's case). Cripple and Snipe also make her grenade launcher excellent for killing generic encounters. Amrita shower adds some versatility alongside hitting weaknesses with her Psi skills.

So last night I sent the calling card for the first dungeon. As I watched the scene where Kamoshida finds out, I noticed the way the calling cards were arranged:

viYHFn2.jpg

At first I thought they were randomly posted, but as I looked at them, I thought they might resemble katakana. So I tried to decipher them. The first part, not completely visible in the picture, says:

力モ

The second part (which was a lot harder to read) says:

シダ

The first part is translated as 'pimp' by Google Translate, which is sort of appropriate for that asshole I guess. So I thought it might be a taunt or something. Turns out, it just spells out his name. 力 = Ka; モ= mo; シ = shi; ダ = da. Google interpreted the first kana as kanji, hence the mistranslation.

Oh well, still a nice detail and something I completely missed the first time around.

Is it worth pushing through the final dungeon if I'm not really feeling it anymore? I kinda wanna know how it ends but I'm really not sure I have another dungeon in me. I expect this one to be big too and have seen what's waiting at the end which is also a deterrent.

Have I had the twist that people talk about already?
I've heard the ending is disappointing so not sure if I've seen the best of it yet or not.

Is it worth pushing through the final dungeon if I'm not really feeling it anymore? I kinda wanna know how it ends but I'm really not sure I have another dungeon in me. I expect this one to be big too and have seen what's waiting at the end which is also a deterrent.

Have I had the twist that people talk about already?
I've heard the ending is disappointing so not sure if I've seen the best of it yet or not.

Depends... could you post what exactly have you seen at the end? (Between spoiler tags of course.) I have to ask, because the entire ending of the game is spoiler galore. I'm afraid I will say too much if I don't know exactly where you are with the ending.

Depends... could you post what exactly have you seen at the end? (Between spoiler tags of course.) I have to ask, because the entire ending of the game is spoiler galore. I'm afraid I will say too much if I don't know exactly where you are with the ending.

Right now I'm just at the start of
Shida's dungeon. Seen the whole thing with the police station etc.

That palace is pretty divisive, it seems - I liked it a lot but many in the previous threads found it tedious. I would say you're quite far enough into the game that you should push for the ending, but I can't make that decision for you if you really aren't feeling it.

I think that from that point in the game to the absolute ending took me about 15 - 20 hours. That includes time spent on grinding, persona fusion and going through daily life as slowly as possible because I didn't want it to end. So you could shave a few hours of if you rush through the less important parts.

Spoilers about the gameplay of this dungeon in the next part:
The dungeon you're in is possibly the larges in the game and contains a few puzzle segments which you probably won't enjoy (they contain a lot of running back and forth through rooms and corridors, flipping switches and the like).
That said, I think the ending is worth it. You haven't seen everything yet, even if you might think you do.

You could always watch a playthrough on YouTube, but this doesn't pack the same punch as the genuine experience. If you haven't done it yet, it might be worth it to put the game aside for a week or two to recharge your battery. I personally feel it's a shame to throw in the towel here, since you're relatively close to ending it.

cj_iwakura

That palace is pretty divisive, it seems - I liked it a lot but many in the previous threads found it tedious. I would say you're quite far enough into the game that you should push for the ending, but I can't make that decision for you if you really aren't feeling it.

I really enjoyed it, mostly because they nailed the design and layers of the locale.

I think that from that point in the game to the absolute ending took me about 15 - 20 hours. That includes time spent on grinding, persona fusion and going through daily life as slowly as possible because I didn't want it to end. So you could shave a few hours of if you rush through the less important parts.

Spoilers about the gameplay of this dungeon in the next part:
The dungeon you're in is possibly the larges in the game and contains a few puzzle segments which you probably won't enjoy (they contain a lot of running back and forth through rooms and corridors, flipping switches and the like).
That said, I think the ending is worth it. You haven't seen everything yet, even if you might think you do.

You could always watch a playthrough on YouTube, but this doesn't pack the same punch as the genuine experience. If you haven't done it yet, it might be worth it to put the game aside for a week or two to recharge your battery. I personally feel it's a shame to throw in the towel here, since you're relatively close to ending it.

Yeah you're probably right, does feel like a waste to end it so close to the finish line, especially when it's basically just coasting after. Think I will just take a break and come back to finish it. I've been really powering through it and I do find the Persona series a little text heavy after a while despite appreciating the lengths it goes to on that front too. Might just be a series where I need to do it in parts rather than one long run.

On the final palace/last days now. So bloody glad. The game is so overly drawn out it's unbelievable. It had a solid beginning, and so far a decent end, but the middle...the middle is just not very good. And it's a lot of middle! I'd love to stick around for fusing more Persona, but the game long since outstayed its welcome for me, so as soon as the end credits finish rolling, I'm done!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm about 30 hours in so far and just went into the 3rd palace for the first time.

i'm still really enjoying it if anything it's got more interesting since i met Akechi and i'm really wanting to know what's going on with Sae + Makato. I think Akechi + Makato will end up joining the team or at least Makato. Not sure what to think of Sae really. Also I'm still wanting to find out the deal with Morgana....I quite like him except when he's telling me I can't do stuff and to go sleep lol. I don't think he really is a human and he must be connected to the metaverse place somehow. Probably put there by Igor or those twins.

The only thing I've been spoiled with is that
the Igor this early on is an imposter which is why his voice is different.

(...) I think Akechi + Makato will end up joining the team or at least Makato. (...)
Well, they are on the game's cover. So... ;p

I'm currently at the start of the second arc (5/6). Just officially formed the Phantom Thieves. Went with the name 'Shitennou', the romanized name of the Four Heavenly Kings. I wanted a name from mythology and this sounded cool. They protect the nation against evil and there are four of you (Joker, Ryuji, Morgana, Ann) at this point, so it's somewhat fitting.

Spoiler for September and onward:
Calling yourselves the Four Heavenly Kings when you're only three high school students and a cat is also cocky as fuck, which ties in nicely with the Thieves' popularity eventually going to their heads.

Makoto was also properly introduced just now. I actually didn't know she was voiced by Cherami Leigh in the English dub. I wanted to romance someone else this time, but I don't know if I can anymore. I wonder if she will go full Iris Heart Madame Goddess in her role as Queen...

Nictel

At the end of October now.
Suddenly I have no idea where this game is heading. Who is the traitor?
Is there a traitor? Adechi seems to be a good bet. But two defectives being the bad guy in a row seems a bit much. I can see Makato exposing them because she is afraid Sae might die. The weird white flashes are strange though. Was MC drugged to forget things? How rich is Haru? Will MC finally find something to put on his shelves? So.Many.Questions

Game is still a blast.

Aters

Just want to drop in and say fuck Ryuji. People would say "but the developer wants you to hate him so he's a successful character". No, if you try to put a character that is supposed to be hated into my party, you fail by default.

Enstikto

Neo Member
Just want to drop in and say fuck Ryuji. People would say "but the developer wants you to hate him so he's a successful character". No, if you try to put a character that is supposed to be hated into my party, you fail by default.

Why do you hate him? I don't even get why you state that "the developer wants you to hate him".
I really believe he is one of the better written characters and along with makoto and futaba he is one of my favourites.

PK Gaming

Yeah, fuck the guy who had an abusive dad and a shitty school life who fucked everything up for himself and the people around him. Also fuck him for having very realistic anger issues because I definitely remember being calm and perfect in highschool.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'll go hug my Makoto daki. the canon waifu ^_^

Nothing wrong with either Ryuji or Yusuke. Although I wish the latter would've gotten a skill like Apt Pupil. Something to help him during the end-game, when Ryuji gets Charge and God's Hand. It doesn't help that his ultimate persona is cool as hell, while Ryuji's looks pretty bad.

I hope they do something about this in Crimson. They could give Makoto a heavy multi-target physical attack while there at it. Her strength is almost as high as her magic stat, but she gets Flash Bomb (medium damage, chance at dizzy) at level 31 and that's about it. Kind of a waste.

As for the real shitlord in this game, it has to be Akechi. I wanted an option to punch him in the face on live television during that trip to the studios.

Edit:
Oh wow. Just met Ohya in the English dub. Didn't really see it before but with that voice it's like Chie and Yukiko performed a fusion dance and she's the result.

Ryuji is one of the most interesting party members in any Persona game ever, and he's also really likable. His confidant story in particular is above pretty much all the other party members, and his scenes in the story are all really good. Yeah, he tends to get over excited and shout out stuff in random scenes, but his whole character arc really resonated with me. His relationship with the main character feels really real to me, and just about everything about him, from his anger issues, to his attitude, to all of the ways he's screwed up in life and desperately wants to change things feels really genuine.

The developer definitely doesn't want you to hate Ryuji.

Good god! I finally finished the game after 98 hours (and I started day 1. Life, yo).

I thought I was on the last palace in my previous post...I was. Sort of. But holy crap did it drag on and on and on! Only to then throw more crap at the player after it. Never ending, and not in a good way.

Thoughts...

+
Slick style
Soundtrack is mostly great, minus the awful Engrish lyrics
Solid beginning
Persona fusion and related mechanics (not the SLs as I personally always find them shallow) are still fun and interesting
I liked the characters for the most part. Morgana is superior to shitty Teddy in every way (he was the worst thing about P4).

-
Overly long, overstays its welcome. A worse case of Okami's drawn out story, basically.
Middle of the game is a drag and post
Shido's Palace
drag down what was seemingly a brighter approach to the end (again, drawn out).
Engrich lyrics. The voice is good, the Engrish is not.
So many missed subtitles/bad localisation - in the grand scheme of things it's minor, but it spoils the general production of the game.

I really hope Persona 6 changes things up. Move away from high school,
God
as a boss is played out in everything (then again I suppose it's an SMT thing), change up the SLs - I know people love them, and I do think they were better than P4, partly because the characters are better, but I generally find the interaction uninteresting with no real substance. Open the world up a bit more, stop stopping us from doing things. If I want to stay awake and lose focus, let me. If I want to bunk school, let me. I don't need Morgana telling what I can and can't do every five seconds. Or cut to those parts automatically, as it's just a pointless action the player has to do, no matter how minimal, I gain no value and no enjoyment from it, just irritation - it's comparable to forced walking scenes for me. Pointless interaction.

Overall, I did like it more than P4 but given how never ending this felt, I don't think I could ever play it again, and the less than 40% score of the end trophy says enough - people barely finish 35 hour rpgs, not surprised people would be turned off a 80+ hour one just for a first-time play through, especially when, for me, a large part of it is dull and forgettable.

Onwards to other games!

Pachinko

This game has felt like a ball and chain for a few months now , I feel like I can't move on to other games until I'm done with it but it feels like I still have 15-20 hours left despite being 89 hours deep.

Certainly my real life shenanigans lately haven't helped - from the beginning of June up until last Friday I worked 55-65 hours per week and just didn't feel like gaming during the 2 hours a night plus Sunday that I did have. Last week I finally had a chance to play this some more , finished up a section of dungeon and it just let me go right into the next chunk without a save point so I kept going and an hour later , with that section nearly done I ended up getting banked by a regular enemy encounter. So basically my 2 hour play session was a complete waste of time. Kind of soured me on going back but it feels insane to give up on this now.

There's so much I really do like about this game and on the whole it's a great JRPG but at this point I'm left wishing it was a lot shorter ... like 50-60 hours tops. Give people more incentive to replay it too.

Open the world up a bit more, stop stopping us from doing things. If I want to stay awake and lose focus, let me. If I want to bunk school, let me. I don't need Morgana telling what I can and can't do every five seconds. Or cut to those parts automatically, as it's just a pointless action the player has to do, no matter how minimal, I gain no value and no enjoyment from it, just irritation - it's comparable to forced walking scenes for me. Pointless interaction.
Playing P4 again afterward (my second attempt at it, which has stalled out just like the first) it strikes me that P4 takes control away in favor of plot dumps just as often as P5 does. The only thing P5 does different is give the illusion of control when this happens - likely for mechanical reasons, because this allows for more save opportunities and they can't deny the player access to the cardboard box of DLC holding.

Playing P4 again afterward (my second attempt at it, which has stalled out just like the first) it strikes me that P4 takes control away in favor of plot dumps just as often as P5 does. The only thing P5 does different is give the illusion of control when this happens - likely for mechanical reasons, because this allows for more save opportunities and they can't deny the player access to the cardboard box of DLC holding.

True, it was just as bad in P4. It also seems worse in P5 because it happens so many days in succession. There's the beginning of the game, of course, but that can be justified by saying the game needs to set up the story and everything. But then, when you think the game has finally opened up, the Madarame arc comes around and you're suddenly 'grounded' for a week, almost two weeks in a row because of plot advancement and 4 days of exams.

I get the set-up of two time slots a day and one activity taking up an entire slot for gameplay reasons, even if you can ride the train to every district in Tokyo without a minute going by. But these 'go to bed early' instanced break my willing suspension of disbelief for some reason. I can't wrap my mind around the notion that an activity like watching TV, reading a book or studying somehow impedes your ability to go to bed early. If I'm home at 7 and want to go to bed at 9, I still have enough time to grab a bite, watch TV and take a quick shower, for example. So instead of immediately sending you to bed, I wish they had put in some activities in or around Leblanc that you can do for fun without offering a reward (or just a small one, like only 1 social stat point instead of the usual 2-3).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Haru
often?
She became a regular in my party after a while. Her gun skills let her wipe enemy groups very easily. I ran her + Ryuji + Makoto most of the time, and I think they worked well together. Anything that wasn't resistant to physical got wrecked between
Haru
and Ryuji, and anything that is strong to physical tends to be weak to psychic or nuclear.
Ryuji is one of my favorite characters in the game, and my favorite iteration of the "first friend you make" trope in Persona games. I think the game did a really good job of showing him as a well-meaning hothead who is surprisingly mature if he's calm, but a dumbass when he isn't. Though he manages to make an ass of himself a lot, it's well counterbalanced by the times when he sobers up and actually talks seriously.

I absolutely don't think he's supposed to be hated.

If he wasn't meant to be hated they did a bad job at it. When
Morgana called him out for his self centered nature

All I could think about was how it was a long time coming and others in the group should have called him out on it earlier. He also placed the group at risk many times with his stupid outbursts.

Pachinko

Ugh... so after nearly 6 hours of playtime I've polished off Palace
, it was actually pretty well designed but much like this game on the whole - it overstayed it's welcome especially towards the end.
Seriously , whose idea was it to have players fight the 5th miniboss (which was just an absolute slog I might add) and then without any warning or break subject players to not 1 but 3 additional bosses. I ended up having to use all my healing beads as well as a soma to get through that debacle, none of it was overly difficult just draining.

The calling card bit was pretty neat though so I'm looking forward to wrapping this one up possibly as early as tomorrow and then
I'll have the entire month of december free to get as many social links done as possible , I've been saving my romance for makoto but it being locked to 5 charm is making that difficult, not even sure if it's still possible at this point to be honest but I'll try.

I'm 95 hours into this game right now and based on some skimming I've done about what's left I figure I still have 10-15 hours to go ... I like this game I really do but ... geeze , it could have been a healthy well paced 60 hour game with minimal changes.

Currently at 6/12 (absolutely love these two days, btw. Hotpot scene is great) and damn, Ryuji's definitely getting louder. I feel he was loud in the Japanese dub, but at a more steady level. In the English dub, he started out pretty normal, but now he seems to be shouting the majority of his voiced lines.

Damn good voice acting, though. Max Mittelman nailed it.

Ugh... so after nearly 6 hours of playtime I've polished off Palace
, it was actually pretty well designed but much like this game on the whole - it overstayed it's welcome especially towards the end.
Seriously , whose idea was it to have players fight the 5th miniboss (which was just an absolute slog I might add) and then without any warning or break subject players to not 1 but 3 additional bosses. I ended up having to use all my healing beads as well as a soma to get through that debacle, none of it was overly difficult just draining.

The calling card bit was pretty neat though so I'm looking forward to wrapping this one up possibly as early as tomorrow and then
I'll have the entire month of december free to get as many social links done as possible , I've been saving my romance for makoto but it being locked to 5 charm is making that difficult, not even sure if it's still possible at this point to be honest but I'll try.

I'm 95 hours into this game right now and based on some skimming I've done about what's left I figure I still have 10-15 hours to go ... I like this game I really do but ... geeze , it could have been a healthy well paced 60 hour game with minimal changes.

For what it's worth,
that caught me by surprise, too. I don't remember if I used a Soma for it, but if it was, it was the only point in the entire game I felt I needed one, and I was playing on Hard difficulty. Admittedly, I used the Flu+Death trick a couple times so even Akechi had his endgame skills before he left the party.

Nictel

I wished we had Persona's with 12 skills. Fusing becomes less fun when you need to choose between good skills :p. Strength confidant max rank is fun,
you want a Persona 15 lvls above you who also gets max XP bonus? Sure go ahead xD

Dave1988

So, DeepSilver released the Mega Costume Bundle for EU players this week and it contains the Christmas Costumes Set. Only problem is, they haven't released the standalone version of the costume, which should be free. So, if European P5 players want the outfits, they have to pay through the nose for them. Kind of fucked up, no?

Mathrin

Lame, only just found this topic. Completed it last month after 115 hours. Don’t think I have played a game quite like it. The style, the pace everything was so good for me.

Got really attached to
Futaba’s
story, and found myself really pulling for them in every additional relationship event with Sojiro.

I’m sure it’s been said before but the VA for Akechi deserves any and all praise he gets for
his quite frankly stellar performance on the boat. His turn towards madness - especially while fighting him was just so good. Raw is probably the best word I have for it

Totally up for a restructured or slightly improved version ala P4G. Not that I needed an excuse to go straight back and new game + it!

Narroo

A hundred hours? geez I just noticed the op says the game takes about a hundred hours. I must have rocketed through when I got the true end on my first NG in less than 80.

Are you counting game overs, and reloading the game? (In my case, I got around 80 hours on the clock, but I did some resetting near the end to help max out confidants.)

Top Bottom