• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal To Be Censored In the West, Bigotry of Low Expectations for the Gay Community. Reddit Censors Gay Voices!

I hoping one day this outrage culture dies out. Both SJW and anti -SJW always need to get outraged form something, anything. No matter what they do one side will get offended for stupid reasons one way or another.

To be honest, I'm tired of being called a monster because of a funny joke making fun of creeps.

Someone said earlier that the game has no positive representation of homosexuals/queerness/etc., which is a blatant lie - Lala Escargot is a very positive character and has much more screentime than Blaine and Antoine.

sensui-tomo

Is this actually a negative stereotype? It seems like it is just Japanese culture.
Okay since you want a discussion and I shouldn't just be memeing it up. You could literally change the stereotype of 2 adult men hitting on a minor to being 2 gay guys giving beauty tips and you'd have a different scenario which wouldnt be as offensive. Or bloody hell, have phantom thieves go and fix that issue about them. And I dunno have an obvious gay party member that isnt treated as a joke and dont have party members essentially pull an "Ew gay" a few thoughts but eh.

Okay since you want a discussion and I shouldn't just be memeing it up. You could literally change the stereotype of 2 adult men hitting on a minor to being 2 gay guys giving beauty tips and you'd have a different scenario which wouldnt be as offensive. Or bloody hell, have phantom thieves go and fix that issue about them. And I dunno have an obvious gay party member that isnt treated as a joke and dont have party members essentially pull an "Ew gay" a few thoughts but eh.

Where are the men at when they are introduced?

Oh, right, a seedy section of the city full of brothels, strippers, and all range of perverts.

The same section where you also run into a very genuine and caring character in Lala, who is also queer, along with others who are down on their luck or abused by society.

It is almost like it is an intentional contrast.

Also, Yusuke isn't gay - he's just an artist. He's clearly fascinated by the female form.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Like moths to a flame. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

426Ny1J.gif

sensui-tomo

Where are the men at when they are introduced?

Oh, right, a seedy section of the city full of brothels, strippers, and all range of perverts.

The same section where you also run into a very genuine and caring character in Lala, who is also queer, along with others who are down on their luck or abused by society.

It is almost like it is an intentional contrast.

Also, Yusuke isn't gay - he's just an artist. He's clearly fascinated by the female form.
I know yusuke isnt, it's why I said to have an obviously gay party member or hell a lesbian hell anyone. Because you'd be surprise what dumbasses still think him and kanji are gay.(people need to fucking realize that kanji is a character meant to show toxic masculinity as a problem)

Whitesnake

Banned

But the original is only offensive if you are offended by the concept of it being possible for gay people to be pushy or predatory.

KiNeMz

Banned
I don't care if it's offensive. Its Japanese. That's why I play Japanese games. They have a different culture and viewpoint on life. I want the game to be a correct and accurate translation to what it was originally.

Why could they not provide an option in settings for the sensitive version or original.

Meet in the middle at least but dont decide on what's right or wrong or decent or indecent to me. I can decide that and also have no issue with a game being able to throw in absurdity, awkwardness and offensiveness. It's all equal part of life. Deal with it.

Q

Quezacotl

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t agree with the change so I won’t buy Royal.

🤷🏽‍♂️

I’m sure Atlus is going to feel the sting of not getting my 100$ purchase of the Digital Deluxe I’ve been eying down. /s

The Shin Megami Tensei series and sub series which Persona is a part is my favorite gaming franchise. I played tru the original Persona 5 about 3 times and loved each play tru enough that it had me looking forward to Royal but not at the cost of censorship.

I hope Atlus USA doesn’t do the same for Shin Megami Tensei V if that has anything the woke culture wouldn’t pre approve.

I know yusuke isnt, it's why I said to have an obviously gay party member or hell a lesbian hell anyone.

Chie and Yukiko are probably bi by western definition. There is some obvious sexual tension in their relationship. TBH, I think Kanji is bi as well, or at the least androphilic.

Jun is gay, and a very positive character. Tatsuya (the MC) can also be gay, depending on what the player wants.

IIRC one of the party characters in P1 is also implied to gay but closeted, but I never finished it.

Just from those, gay characters seem pretty well represented in the franchise versus a couple jokes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is your argument that if a character in a videogame is gay, they must receive protected status and be good and heroic else it's homophobic? Kanji and Nao are pretty great Atlus characters who just happen to be gay, and there are many characters in PS5 of reputable character, across all races, genders and sexuality.

The same game has a drag-queen who runs a bar and flirts with an underage schoolboy constantly, yet as they are a "good" character they somehow get through localization, it's just odd.

Kanji and Naoto are not gay. At all.

EDMIX

I hoping one day this outrage culture dies out. Both SJW and anti -SJW always need to get outraged form something, anything. No matter what they do one side will get offended for stupid reasons one way or another.

I'm saying!!!

Rate it M and move on. Gaming needs to be like the books, films, music etc asap. How many times you hear someone crying over this in other mediums? Be like "We as a studio are not sure we want to have someone saying the N Word and have a tattoo of a swastika" -Director of American History X lol

"We don't want to be political, politics should be out of films and shows as to not upset people" Director of House Of Cards lol

Gaming right now couldn't even fucking handle a film from 1965, right now in 2020, we got studios acting like the fucking Hays Code is on games or something lol Be like "hes not gay, he is flamboyant....hint hint"

If he gay.....let him be gay.......thats it. At least allowing the character to express this allows the work to be taken more respectfully. The main character can have a girl friend....they date, it would be weird to seriously try to pretend a gay character wasn't going to date, never mention they might be....gay etc. Other side characters in Persona titles freely expressed who they liked, it was part of the world. Yosuke hitting on the girls was part of the world. I always hatted that the gay character in Persona 4 was created in this way where they made it seem as if it was in his control or something. The way it starts makes sense, he ask himself what does it mean to be a man?" etc. I thinking while playing it "Wow, they really thought deep about this and I'm fucking impressed" annnnnd then it ends with Kanji basically rejecting that idea even with the game very much suggesting he is gay...... So the lesson was, reject how you feel, don't explore who you actually are and repress the shit out of it LOL! Shame it deep into yourself and better not let it out lol I still love Persona 4 though and 5, simply that I want to see the medium progress to a place where you can have character gay or trans and folks not make a congressional hearing out of it.

We don't do that with shows or books. 99% of the time most won't care if you even bring that up about a book.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just want to say that I've been playing PSone games lately and I'm glad that none of those can get patched on with censorship shit.

I've been playing Thousand Arms and boy, that game will sure trigger ResetEra since your main character is a playboy and your father is also a playboy.

G6XJftA.jpg

8UeI1eY.png

Also, this game was localized by Atlus.

Shame it deep into yourself and better not let it out lol I still love Persona 4 though and 5, simply that I want to see the medium progress to a place where you can have character gay or trans and folks not make a congressional hearing out of it.

You already had that. Innocent Sin had a party member who is a romance option for the MC.

Combine that with other characters from the series and there is more than adequate representation of sexuality and gender from a relatively liberal Japanese view.

How about doing it in a game that wasnt made, I dunno 20 years ago? God forbid they try to repeat that again in your team.

Why would you expect 2 out of 5 games to randomly have gay/bi protags? Homosexuality is not that common. 1 out of 5 is already more than adequate per statistics if you just care about representation.

The truth is that you think every protagonist should be bi and just function as avatars for whatever the player wants, like that Dragon Age game where over half the characters were somehow gay/bi.

Vallen

Neo Member
The issue is censoring something that wasn't in need of censorship, and particularly censoring it only for the West because of all the crying (ironically from a very small minority). Atlus is for 3 for 3 as it stand in terms of censoring their game rereleases; Catherine FB, SMt x FE, and now P5R...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The issue is censoring something that wasn't in need of censorship, and particularly censoring it only for the West because of all the crying (ironically from a very small minority). Atlus is for 3 for 3 as it stand in terms of censoring their game rereleases; Catherine FB, SMt x FE, and now P5R...
Catherine Full Body wasn't censored.

Metnut

I think they made the right move changing things not to have the only gay characters in the game be creepy child molesters. Honestly, seems like a no-brainer and corrects a poor choice.

Not exactly Stalinist propaganda folks. Save the pitchforks for next time.

Most of the people in this thread defending the censorship are REEfugees. The rest have less than 100 posts.

Really makes you think. 🤔

It's all propaganda. If you let them actually win, then they just take it to the next level e.g. removing whole character relationships in Fire Emblem Fates or changing the narrative of a dungeon in Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

People have to realize that you never give the enemy an inch - they will always use that inch as a foothold and encroach far beyond it.

Last edited:
At that point lets just delete out of the game then why would they be giving beauty tips anyways ryuji or akira "main character actually name" when neither of them care about any of that stuff and if they did care they could always just ask yuske "hint yuske isnt gay" anywise lets also leave out context of where they are which is a red light district. You pretty much ignored that the entire section had to do with unwanted sexual advances and how Ryuji didnt want any apart of it crazy i know.

Last edited:
I know yusuke isnt, it's why I said to have an obviously gay party member or hell a lesbian hell anyone. Because you'd be surprise what dumbasses still think him and kanji are gay.(people need to fucking realize that kanji is a character meant to show toxic masculinity as a problem)
Kanji isnt gay either..............................................................

How about doing it in a game that wasnt made, I dunno 20 years ago? God forbid they try to repeat that again in your team.
at this point it seems like all you want is a ergo type game were you can play fan fiction and make everyone gay. Play a Yaoi Vn at that point or play Dragon age inq if you want everyone in that game to be gay

Durask

Why would you expect 2 out of 5 games to randomly have gay/bi protags? Homosexuality is not that common. 1 out of 5 is already more than adequate per statistics if you just care about representation.

The truth is that you think every protagonist should be bi and just function as avatars for whatever the player wants, like that Dragon Age game where over half the characters were somehow gay/bi.
at this point it seems like all you want is a ergo type game were you can play fan fiction and make everyone gay. Play a Yaoi Vn at that point or play Dragon age inq if you want everyone in that game to be gay

Yup.
No one is obliged to make their charaters so that they appeal to every category.

Paracelsus

I don’t support censorship in any way. If it’s offensive to you, don’t buy it.
If it’s illegal in your country, don’t localize it.
If you think you can “improve” a finished complete piece of work, don’t.

If you’re a proud self proclaimed SJW, you’ve already failed in life and you can’t win no matter what you try to destroy, censor, bury or cancel. Please have your tantrum. Nobody cares that you invented something new to be angry and outrage about that you didn’t care about yesterday.

When the hell did liberals turn into the new version of prudes? All these hypocritical anti-sex folks fuck like rabbits with practically anonymous Tinder hookups like the whores that you all are. You and your angry mob march against Nazi’s and violently attack others and threaten real violence against every stranger that doesn’t fall in line with your demands. Who are the Nazi’s again? You locusts destroy out of boredom and psuedo mob comradery. I cannot wait until you start eating your own.

——

We should all make our voices loud to Devs and publishers that we stand against censorship and will boycott all censored titles.

Oh boy, you're in for a ride, they have been bitching and moaning for a full day after the announcement that the game is getting censored only in the USSRA.
They claim it's a small insignificant step ahead and they want the game to be patched and censored in Japan too.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Fuck DA2 for doing that and just to make things clear and I'm saying this for clarity for myself and other "Fuck bioware for their attempt at what they call diversity. It's a money grab and they know they were doing it for the wrong reason " and fuck no I dont want all protags to be fucking bi. If you're gonna use a negative stereotype in your game you should have a positive one to cancel out said stereotype.
Kanji isnt gay either..............................................................
I know.... did you fucking read what you quoted.
Nice quote so you want to explain why we have sjws doxxing game devs and harassing the entire Persona team
Can you show me said people doxing devs? I've seen claims but alas nothing to prove it.

Last edited:
I wonder if ATLUS USA is happy with the reaction to this news? Not so much from those expressing displeasure with the change, but with individuals and certain news outlets touting the removal of homophobia from the game.

Keeping in mind all the related stories stem from the GameSpot & IGN articles, neither of the ATLUS USA representatives are quoted saying anything about homophobia (although one could suppose the company allowed IGN to run a headline featuring the word "homophobic"). In the GameSpot pieces, P5R's project manager focuses on the idea of the characters' displaying "predatory" behavior in their attempts at picking-up younger males, while the revised content won't be "mild" but will show the two as "strong enthusiasts for something they like doing." Unless the two characters were completely rewritten, the scenes still comprise a pair of flamboyant gays hitting on Ryuji, possibly with an attempt to downplay known indications of their targets being underage.

This all feels increasingly like the Catherine: Full Body situation, where ATLUS USA decided to court favor with LGBT audiences by playing-up their reworking of the game's original text and handling of the new material. Catherine: Full Body didn't exactly blow away that crowd; can't say I hope their new take on Persona 5 fares any better.

sensui-tomo

Who died and made you king of the devs? Nobody should have to do anything to please you. Go make your own game if you want to, but stfu about anybody else’s creation.
Make your own game and include jokes you want in it nobody should have to please you and the jokes you want kept in. STFU about Atlus's localization creation. Come on you can have a better discussion than resorting to that petty arguement. I don't want to do the whole "your arguement can literally be read back to you" but damn do you make it easy like the people here who seem to have some problems with reading and reading comprehension.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Make your own game and include jokes you want in it. STFU about Atlus's localization creation. Come on you can have a better discussion than resorting to that petty arguement.

The localization team are not the developers. They have no right to be changing things around as they are. Also there are no "negative stereotypes" being shown. Just a scene of a two assholes who happened to be gay. You do know gay people can be assholes, right? Just like everyone else? Because they are human?

sensui-tomo

The localization team are not the developers. They have no right to be changing things around as they are. Also there are no "negative stereotypes" being shown. Just a scene of a two assholes who happened to be gay. You do know gay people can be assholes, right? Just like everyone else? Because they are human?
They do have a right lol, it's literally ATLUS's American branch. They'll do whatever they gosh darn please because it's their product.
Localization is the process of adapting a product or content to a specific locale or market. Translation is only one of several elements of the localization process.

Last edited:

CyRuZ

Banned
They do have a right lol, it's literally ATLUS's American branch. They'll do whatever they gosh darn please because it's their product.
Localization is the process of adapting a product or content to a specific locale or market. Translation is only one of several elements of the localization process.
These are the moments we need a facepalm emoji. Go back wheREEEE you came from.

sensui-tomo

These are the moments we need a facepalm emoji. Go back wheREEEE you came from.
Eh I can do what I want within rules here as I havent broken anything and dont plan to. Dude whines about localization. Gonna give an answer to what the fuck localization is. You're not getting a straight(ha fun pun regarding this discussion) translation, that shit sucks.

sensui-tomo

I'm not protesting this game, already have it bought thanks to a stupid glitch in how target does its sales during b2g1 deals. Got it for $36. I stopped my playthrough roughly around the part after the casino part and look forward to playing it and actually completing the game this time.
I know the rules of this place and no I dont intend to troll (I will give honest discussions when I'm actually being brought honest arguements) and me being a whiny bitch.... like okay whatever actually gets you through the day. Can you try to not resort to name calling. And I should say I'm sorry for saying fuck alot.

Top Bottom