• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Cornbread78

Am I misreading this or are you not allowed to speak of the social links in the OT?

General character discussions are fine in the OT, but, this is the mods giving members a safety zone to openly discuss/argue the ships without derailing the main thread.

Is this thread just so that mods have a list of who to ban later? :p

It is to prevent that, lol. I'm sure they don't want the constant flood of "waifu talk" complaint MPs..

Edit: what Woofy said.

Zolo

JKmWtxL.jpg

Kthulhu

You all fail to understand that all these waifus and husbandos are too good for a troublemaker like you and you're lucky to even have Morgana to comfort you.

You should all do the right thing and remain single.

SaniOYOYOY

I remember dating the idol girl back in persona 4 and my girlfriend was angry because she likes the hot spring girl (forget both name)

anyway enjoy, ot wont miss ya. for all people who wonder why this needs separate thread, persona waifu war is....unlike any other :D

edit : who wants to bet we will have OT2 for this first then the other thread :p

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else super creeped out by the maid/teacher?

I do not want to spend time with her, but I know how helpful her Slink rewards are.

And she's expensive as hell.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Why?

EDIT: Or you mean like the actual character in the game, and not just the idea?

Yeah, the character. I just really don't like her at all. She lies, she flirts, she keeps calling you master. I'm guessing there's a lot of people that'll be real into it waifu-wise, but it ekes me the hell out.

I'm not at all into her steez.

ZoronMaro

I should probably stay out of this thread but I want to ask people who've played/beaten the game which arcana's are the best to max out from a character development/story standpoint.

I don't even want to know the names of characters I want to discover them on my own (which is why sorry, not sorry for ignoring the OP) but I do want to know once I find them which I should prioritize.

I'm mainly just trying to avoid a repeat of that time in P3 when I really wanted to max out the Moon arcana, that definitely wasn't worth the arcana boost.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Imma let you folks finish, but Sadayo is by far the best waifu.

Not a real spoiler:
Makoto and Tae are my mistresses.

I should probably stay out of this thread but I want to ask people who've played/beaten the game which arcana's are the best to max out from a character development/story standpoint.

IMO the best story-centric arcana all self-advance, no need to plan them out.
Personally I think Tower, Sun, Hanged Man and to a lesser extent Heirophant/Emperor got interesting character arcs. I get a real sense of growth from those.

mollipen

Yeah, the character. I just really don't like her at all. She lies, she flirts, she keeps calling you master. I'm guessing there's a lot of people that'll be real into it waifu-wise, but it ekes me the hell out.

I'm not into it real-life waifu-wise, but I liked her path all of the way through. I found it to be a sad, heartbreaking story.

Are you still able to see all characters full romance stories in a single playthrough?

This is kind of a spoiler but I think it's an important thing for any previous Persona players coming into the game to understand, because it totally caught me off guard:
The controllable part of the game comes to an end much sooner in-game world-wise than you're probably expecting it to. If you don't know that, you'll think you have much more time than you actually do to complete Confidant links. I think to see all romances in your first play through, you're going to have to really bust butt and use a guide the entire way.

So if i can talk about characters ..let me write my thoughts about them:

Protagonist : AWESOME
Ann : Goood at the start , rough in the middle , nice end
Yusuke : Great when he appears , Dull in the middle , ok ending.
Morgana : Superbe start , awesome middle , excellent ending
Makoto : Excellent start , good middle , great ending , excellent girlfriend.
Futaba : Good start , nice middle , great ending , superb girlfriend
Haru : Rough start , understandable given the context , nice middle , good ending ,intresting girlfriend
Goro : Good start , excellent middle , ok ending , NIce girlfriend ( I Wish )
Munehisa : Lol Start , nice middle , good ending
Sojiro : Nice start ,Good middle , Great ending
Tae : Excellent start , Great middle , good ending , Girlfriend of the year , Top 3 waifu
Hifumi : Great start , superb middle , great ending , I'm not worthy of being your boyfriend ,
Should have been part of the thieves gang
, Top 3 waifu
Toranosuke : Confusing start , intresting middle , great end
Sadayo : Good start , Great middle , Awesome ending , Hidden gem of girlfriend in this game. Top 3 waifu
Chihaya : Most predictable S-link , good start , good middle , great ending ( yet her story was well told ) , Good girlfriend.
Yuuki : Bad start , good middle , great ending
Shinya : Ok start , good middle , good ending
Ichiko : Nice start , ok middle , good ending
Igor : GREAT ,GREAT , GREAT
Caroline & Justine : GREAT , GREAT , GREAT , can i give them a hug ?
Sae : Great start , Awesome middle , Great end

-----------------------------------------------------
Waifu ranking :
1) Tae
2) Hifumi
3) Sadayo

4) Makoto
5) Futaba
6) Haru
7) Chihaya
8) Ann

I wanted to get this off my chest in MONTHS
Great post. Booked for when I finally get to play the game.

Anyone else super creeped out by the maid/teacher?

I do not want to spend time with her, but I know how helpful her Slink rewards are.

And she's expensive as hell.

Her premise reminds of Kaichou Wa Maid-sama. I'm interested in seeing how her S-link will be developed but I'll probably won't have enough time to get far into her S-link on my first playthrough,

This is kind of a spoiler but I think it's an important thing for any previous Persona players coming into the game to understand, because it totally caught me off guard:
The controllable part of the game comes to an end much sooner in-game-world-wise than you're probably expecting it to. If you don't know that, you'll think you have much more time than you actually do to complete Confidant links. I think to see all romances in your first play through, you're going to have to really bust butt and use a guide the entire way.

This is a good warning. If you're hellbent on maximizing your confidants on the first round, read this and get ready to play on Safety difficulty.

Cornbread78

The controllable part of the game comes to an end much sooner in-game world-wise than you're probably expecting it to. If you don't know that, you'll think you have much more time than you actually do to complete Confidant links. I think to see all romances in your first play through, you're going to have to really bust butt and use a guide the entire way.

Ouch. Well, using a guide, really, really slows gameplay down, but I won't have time to play through twice, so I'll have to hit up GameFAQs...

Numb

I don't even have the game yet and have decided that Makoto is the greatest waifu ever manufactured by people.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not into it real-life waifu-wise, but I liked her path all of the way through. I found it to be a sad, heartbreaking story.

I suppose I'm not too far in to hers
Ijust found out that it's not for her sister, it's for a dead kid
, so I may come around on it, but it's definitely the one that I'm the least in to.

daevious

The problem for me is twofold.
Story spoiler:
And even after the school is roiling from the Kamoshida scandal, another teacher at the same school appears unable to resist the temptation of her student's romantic overtures. In a game with toilet demons in a metaverse, that's stretching my suspension of disbelief.

MAJOR CONFIDANT SPOILERS:
This is the exact reason why she breaks up with the MC on the last day. However, she does so with the promise that if either of them are still available in a few years, they can try it again without the baggage of a student-teacher relationship, so I don't know if that mitigates the seediness of that S.Link or not.

Tohsaka

Damn, that sucks. Are there any relatively spoiler-free guides for maxing all the links in one playthrough? If the game is really 100 hours I likely won't replay it anytime soon if ever.

mollipen

MAJOR CONFIDANT SPOILERS:
This is the exact reason why she breaks up with the MC on the last day. However, she does so with the promise that if either of them are still available in a few years, they can try it again without the baggage of a student-teacher relationship, so I don't know if that mitigates the seediness of that S.Link or not.

wgPSc.gif

I got to the girlfriend point with her through a side save just to see what happens, but I didn't see it through to that point yet. I have to say, I really do like how this game handles the "end" of the relationships game-wise. I was very happy at where it felt things ended up with Makoto, given what my expectations had been.

Damn, that sucks. Are there any relatively spoiler-free guides for maxing all the links in one playthrough? If the game is really 100 hours I likely won't replay it anytime soon if ever.

I found one I used to get a better grip on what to expect when I found out about what I mentioned above, and I think that might have been spoiler-free? I'll see if I can track it down again.

Edit: Actually, it might have been the GameFAQs one right above me! So check that definitely.

Gestahl

Which of the confidants require your social stats to be a certain level, and what level of which stats?

*list*

Ann level 2 - 2 kindness
Kawakami level 1 - 3 courage I think
Takemi early on - 2 courage maybe can't remember, level 7-8 - 4 charm
Makoto level 1 - 3 knowledge, level 6 - 5 charm
Iwai level 1 - 4 courage, level 7 or so - 5 courage
Hifumi level 1 - 3 charm, level 7-8 - 5 knowledge
Sojiro around level 5-8 - 5 kindness
Futaba level 1 or 2 - 4 kindness
Yusuke level 5ish - 4 dexterity
Haru level 2ish - 5 dexterity

Those are all the ones I can remember.

OK First play i think i Will date everyone now

Great post. Booked for when I finally get to play the game.
Glad that helped someone.
Bear in mind that this is my opinion and my opinion alone .. My opinion of some stories are also influenced by the fact that i couldn't see most of them the first time thanks to the very high requirements some of them need to even start

What made you dislike Anne and like Tae that much? From everything I've heard Anne is among the more fulfilling romances. In fact, I haven't seen shit of Tae's romance. Is it well developed or does it seem like an after thought by the writers? Loads of events?

I ask because Tae was definitely the one I was interested in the most on the first reveal, but everything I've heard is that
she largely uses you as a test subject for her medicines

I actually don't dislike Ann , i think her story is fine , great even , getting her at max Lv ( 10 ) is highly recommanded even if you don't date her since her storyline covers some great aspects of a certain part of society and it even clear up some loses ends about the main story too.
My problem with ann is that i could see how that story would unfold very early , so it missed that "freshness and uniqueness" factor . It's not bad but i felt more on edge with the other storylines.
Tae romance is forced, weird at times but :
-I freaking love her design
-I freaking love her dialog
-I really liked her ending
-She sells the best accesory in the game
Tae is my love at first sight crush.

How do you have enough days in the game to date everyone? It is still limited to a year like in P3 ?
Dating everyone the first time you play is IMPOSSIBLE, unless you're a very good planner. Like P3 & P4 the game take place in a year timeframe.
Dating everyone in NG+ was awesome.

Dammit R_T... How am I going to be able to choose one?

Answer these for me please:

- Which would you say is the best "pure" romance? Straight out of a romance novel
- Which is the most "lustful/ecchi" romance?
- Which is the most "fun" romance?

Damn that's ... hard to answer

Pure : Hifumi ( haru close second )
Lustfull : Sadayo ( by default , since none of them are really lustfull like at all ). Sadayo is probably the most immoral for society in the game , so she get that spot.
Fun : Makoto ( Futaba close second )

Does everyone get:
[Spoilers about Confidants]
An intro with shy MC smiling at a girl like Ann does? Saw that in the GB Quicklook and was like Shipping Wars already done.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Can we gush here without spoiler constraints about all the Confidants?
Would love to hear from people now a few months later what stories stuck with them.
I don't feel like mine particularly changed. I think the one that made a deep impression are still the ones that stayed with me. If anything maybe some story lines I simply enjoyed I've been thinking more about them but maybe that's because I was already done mulling over the ones that made the strongest impression on me.
Of course I would also love to see all the new people what stories stuck with them and maybe how they rank them.

For me the gold standards of Slink stories always have been of the Death P4 variety. Stories that connect to unusual problems that are very real in ways.
Stories that make you look at things you wouldn't really think about usually.
I feel P5 provided the most stories of that nature to me compared to prior games just simply by the fact that the core themes of the game strongly resonated for me and certain things just being timely relevant.

While writing this I think P5 Sun is still a strong standout actually.

Cornbread78

Damn that's ... hard to answer

Pure : Hifumi ( haru close second )
Lustfull : Sadayo ( by default , since none of them are really lustfull like at all ). Sadayo is probably the most immoral for society in the game , so she get that spot.
Fun : Makoto ( Futaba close second )

Great, thanks. If I can't max them all out, I at least want to try and nail these three down.

Olengie

I pretty much stuck with the Lover's Arcana. I decided to choose Ann and she happens to be the Lover's Arcana. lol.

_Ryo_

Can you reverse or break Confidant links in Persona 5? I really enjoyed that Mechanic in Persona 3. It made my friendships seem more meaningful, real, and dynamic.

Mild Persona 3 spoilers below:
If I recall correctly I was first dating Yuko, but kinda got caught up in Chihiro's story and then after a while got pretty annoyed with that and just left her alone to complete Yuko's Link. Chihiro got angry and the social link reversed. Later, I was hanging out with Yukari and beginning to romance her. Chihiro gave me a chance to fix things and I tried for a while but still left again, which is when the social link broke completely and I don't think I could get any more bonus experience from fusing Persona's of the Justice arcana.

I like when there are actual consequences for your actions and those you develop relationships with get angry and act like real people.

I think I also reversed the Magician social link.

Top Bottom