• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Persona 5 Strikers Review Thread

Jun 16, 2019
I'm surprised no one made a topic about it or is talking about it and more surprised the reviews are out for a game that comes in 2 fucking weeks which is ridiculous. Anyway here are the links and whatnot:

Besides PCGamer and 2 others it seems the game is pretty good based on the critics opinion if you care much about it. My only concern is if it's going to be on rails boringly easy or if theres going to be some challenge.

Last edited:

michaelius

Jan 5, 2012
I wouldn't take PCGamer opinions very seriously. They are Polygon tier publication.

Biggest problem here is switch version or ps4 version :D

Reactions: Hudo

ethomaz

is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on PS5
Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
Hack’n’slash in a Persona game?
That is the reason nobody talked about it.
Not interested.

• Triggered
Reactions: rob305

Zoro7

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Not interested.
It’s not that much worse than picking a move from a list is it. If anything it’s more engaging.

ethomaz

is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on PS5
Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
It’s not that much worse than picking a move from a list is it. If anything it’s more engaging.
Well at least setup and choosing the moves is more interesting.
It just not my type of game.

I find JRPG action games very boring in gameplay... never could finish a Tales after become 3D for that reason.

They are milking Persona and that is fine... I hope they have success with that.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020
Not interested.
They are integrating some mechanics from P5, like the batton pass and the typical SMT weakness exploitation. I dunno, haven't looked much into it tbh but I think it might be cool, or at least far more developed than you average musou game.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2013
Reading the reviews, it seems to lack the hang out /romance mechanics 5 has and to me that was one of the games charms. I usually dislike turn based games but 5 had something about it for me to keep on playing.

I’ll probably pick this up later on.

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Seems better than I expected. Might pick it up on sale....or just wait a year to see if they announce a vastly improved "Persona Strikers: Royal" or something.

I wouldn't take PCGamer opinions very seriously. They are Polygon tier publication.

Biggest problem here is switch version or ps4 version :D

As with almost every third party game.
Ps4/PC unless you really want that portability

MagnesG

Apr 20, 2019
Like I said, if you can't manage to play/finish Persona 5 for whatever reason just watch the the P5 anime and buy this game. I rank it on par with Age of Calamity based on the JP demo.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Animagic

BouncyFrag

Feb 10, 2014
I wrapped up P5R a few nights ago. I’m sure about this tho. I’ll probably go ps4 instead of switch at some point.

Reactions: Celcius

MagnesG

Apr 20, 2019
Ys feels held back because of the Switch port. I really hope this game doesn't feel the same way
Are you referring to YS9 ? Why do you think so when the ports are obviously later than PS4 version?

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Jul 27, 2009
Northeast, USA
Are you referring to YS9 ? Why do you think so when the ports are obviously later than PS4 version?

There has to be an excuse for the graphics still being dumbed down to PS3 levels almost. I mean, the aesthetics are pleasing, but this is a really late PS4 game and they could have done much more and still be able to hit 60fps. So yeah, I blame Switch..... I should have prob just bought this game for Switch rather than PS4, lol

Last edited:

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
There has to be an excuse for the graphics still being dumbed down to PS3 levels almost. I mean, the aesthetics are pleasing, but this is a really late PS4 game and they could have done much more and still be able to hit 60fps. So yeah, I blame Switch..... I should have prob just bought this game for Switch rather than PS4, lol
The excuse is that Falcom are using an iteration of Sony's Phyre Engine, which has been designed and built during the PS3 era. Has nothing to do with the Switch that Falcom's games look how they look. It has to do with their manpower, their budget and, as mentioned before, with the engine.

Now, they've said that they are working on a new engine and they've shown a teaser of what it can do at the end of Hajimari No Kiseki but you won't suddenly get UE5-levels of graphical quality. I think the new engine is just the current version of Phyre Engine with vastly better tooling so they can include stuff like better animations (motion captured) and more sophisticated scripting.

MagnesG

Apr 20, 2019
They've always been like that, it make sense with how small the production team are, and their budgets overall. Even their latest flagship Kiseki games still looks like in the PS3 era.

Also Switch ports are not developed internally, with licensing being permissioned later. So there's no way Switch is to blame.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Dec 16, 2020
I still do not understand why this is on Switch when Persona 5 is not. Maybe we will get some hidden Persona drop tomorrow during Nintendo Direct?

• LOL
Reactions: mejin

Aurelius

May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Almost done with my playthrough of Persona 5 Royal (I already played Persona 5 Vanilla when it came out). This looks really really good.

billyxci

13 year old console warrior. Put me on ignore.
Aug 3, 2014
so excited for this!! tempted to buy the deluxe to play early.

LordCBH

Jun 4, 2020
My initial PC impressions are that this game is a buggy, almost unplayable mess on PC. Constant crashes in cutscenes and gameplay. Had 4 crashes before I got to the point where the game first lets you save.

• Triggered
Reactions: billyxci

billyxci

13 year old console warrior. Put me on ignore.
Aug 3, 2014
My initial PC impressions are that this game is a buggy, almost unplayable mess on PC. Constant crashes in cutscenes and gameplay. Had 4 crashes before I got to the point where the game first lets you save.
Oh god I was dreading this. PC is the only way I can play this. Maybe I should buy a Switch

LordCBH

Jun 4, 2020
Oh god I was dreading this. PC is the only way I can play this. Maybe I should buy a Switch

Some people on steam discussions sying putting the game in windowed mode fixes the crashing. Just a shame cause all the other PC ports Sega put out recently seem to be really good from my experience (P4G, Yakuza 7, Yakuza remasters).

edit: playing in windowed mode solved my crashing problems. Now my biggest problem is Makoto is STILL a completely insufferable character.

Last edited:

macfoshizzle

Jan 23, 2009
I just tried it out yesterday and if you don't have a controller, the mouse and KB key mapping is awful. Not much bugs for me yet, but there were couple scenes ingame where the animation was slowed to 80%