• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 worldwide shipments top 3.2 million; Persona 5 Royal Japanese shipments top 400,000

Mista

Banned
P5-Shipments_12-03-19.jpg

Persona 5 have topped more than 3.2 units worldwide and Japanese shipments for Persona 5 Royal have topped 400,000 units Atlus announced

In total, the series has sold more that 11.1 million units.
Gematsu

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
so happy for Persona. can't wait to play The Royal next year.

Yeah that seems the most obvious. Unless that is what they consider top shelf sales, and don’t expect much more.
obvious yes but it's not gonna happen. the main Persona games are Playstation exclusive. I don't see it changing any time soon. You want to play them? Buy a Playstation.

Hudo

The port begging for this game is Insane, i don't think a game had anything close to it since Bayonetta 2.
Because it doesn't make any sense for Atlus not to port it and get more money. Third-parties should be on multiple platfroms in the year 2019. The only exception being that a platform holder finances a project, of course. But Persona wasn't bankrolled by Sony AFAIK. And Atlus isn't some small indie studio, they've got about 300 employees and they got Sega behind them. The same should be done for SMT5, btw. No reason that Atlus' games should be only on one platform.

mejin

Best jrpg of the gen and congratz on beating dat 3M. Playstation really is the biggest market for Atlus.

Waiting for Atlus USA announcement.

Because it doesn't make any sense for Atlus not to port it and get more money. Third-parties should be on multiple platfroms in the year 2019. The only exception being that a platform holder finances a project, of course. But Persona wasn't bankrolled by Sony AFAIK. And Atlus isn't some small indie studio, they've got about 300 employees and they got Sega behind them. The same should be done for SMT5, btw. No reason that Atlus' games should be only on one platform.
Ah yes the age old excuse.
"they could sell even more!"
Here's the thing if you wanted to play this game so bad you would've done it by now and moved on, you could've bought a ps3 with game for dirt cheap or emulated it, but no because you're a fanboy, you don't care about the game sales, you're not an Atlus employee or financial advisor.
You want to play the game on the platforms you prefer (I.e Switch) and engage in e-penis contests.
It's ok to be a fanboy and prefer to play on your favorite platform of choice and not wanting to pay for a system because of one game, but it’s not Ok to shit up every single damn topic (on gaf or anywhere else) on this specific game in a franchise that's been on the same platform for 20+ years with the same tired port begging excuses.
Fun fact Persona 4 Arena was on Xbox 360 and i don't remember any Xbox fans making the same shitstorm about wanting P4 on their platform even though it's considered by many to be THE best game in the series.

Zephir

I wouldn't mind a switch release but I'm more astonished by a series that managed to sell more than 3 million copies and it's still not translated in the main 5 European languages...not that I have problems with English but, c'mon Sega, invest some money >_>

Hudo

Ah yes the age old excuse.
"they could sell even more!"
Here's the thing if you wanted to play this game so bad you would've done it by now and moved on, you could've bought a ps3 with game for dirt cheap or emulated it, but no because you're a fanboy, you don't care about the game sales, you're not an Atlus employee or financial advisor.
You want to play the game on the platforms you prefer (I.e Switch) and engage in e-penis contests.
It's ok to be a fanboy and prefer to play on your favorite platform of choice and not wanting to pay for a system because of one game, but it’s not Ok to shit up every single damn topic (on gaf or anywhere else) on this specific game in a franchise that's been on the same platform for 20+ years with the same tired port begging excuses.
Fun fact Persona 4 Arena was on Xbox 360 and i don't remember any Xbox fans making the same shitstorm about wanting P4 on their platform even though it's considered by many to be THE best game in the series.
But I played it already and I've already pre-ordered P5R, even if I think it should've been a DLC instead of a full price game. But then again, P5 is my favourite JRPG this gen, so I know I am part of the problem. I have played most of Atlus' games, including the Etrian Odyssey games (although I bought my 3DS originally for Mega Man Legends 3....). So I'm not port begging because I don't own the platforms, I am port begging because there's no reason why there shouldn't be more options for players available to play on. And I would love for Atlus to embrace PC as a platform as well.

Sony are more then capable of doing their own RPG series, so why don't they? There's obviously money to be made for Sony if they come up with a cool JRPG. So if there's a concern for Sony to have some JRPG exclusive to them, they can do one themselves and we'll maybe get another cool JRPG series and I will certainly play it. But obviously I won't port beg for that since it's a first-party thing.

But I played it already and I've already pre-ordered P5R, even if I think it should've been a DLC instead of a full price game. But then again, P5 is my favourite JRPG this gen, so I know I am part of the problem. I have played most of Atlus' games, including the Etrian Odyssey games (although I bought my 3DS originally for Mega Man Legends 3....). So I'm not port begging because I don't own the platforms, I am port begging because there's no reason why there shouldn't be more options for players available to play on. And I would love for Atlus to embrace PC as a platform as well.

Sony are more then capable of doing their own RPG series, so why don't they? There's obviously money to be made for Sony if they come up with a cool JRPG. So if there's a concern for Sony to have some JRPG exclusive to them, they can do one themselves and we'll maybe get another cool JRPG series and I will certainly play it. But obviously I won't port beg for that since it's a first-party thing.
First let me apologize if i sounded too aggressive.
Secondly i think Atlus likes to keep their games exclusive to one platform for 2 reasons:
1 - To give thier games a sort of allure and air of being "Special" and they know that you and i and many others would buy it regardless of the platform!
2 - thier games aren't high tech by any means and i doubt that it costs anywhere near 20 million, and they calculate that they can make a profit with out needing to spend any money porting it to any other platform.
I too bought a 3ds for a game, it was SMT4 and Kid Icarus Uprising the best game Nintendo made in the 2010s.

Last edited:

Even if multiplatform development is easier than it's ever been, it isn't "free". As in, there are still costs to consider and that adds up in terms of overall budget. It still takes manpower to tune the ports for the other versions.

If they developed with, say, PS4 in mind, and then did a Switch port, chances are they'd have to retool certain visual aspects to get stable performance on the platform. And if that means releasing later, then they have to justify the port some other way, usually by creating new content for that version. Which means more time, more manpower, and more money.

It's not a brain-dead simple thing to do, even if compared to previous generations it's easier than/more streamlined than ever.

MagnesG

Banned
I thought it would have sold at least 5 millions by now given the reactions and fanfare. Stil a good performance for a typical JRPG.

Hudo

Sounds more like:
Well, yeah. That was my point. I am port begging but for a different reason :)
First let me apologize if i sounded too aggressive.
Secondly i think Atlus likes to keep their games exclusive to one platform for 2 reasons:
1 - To give thier games a sort of allure and air of being "Special" and they know that you and i and many others would buy it regardless of the platform!
2 - thier games aren't high tech by any means and i doubt that it costs anywhere near 20 million, and they calculate that they can make a profit with out needing to spend any money porting it to any other platform.
I too bought a 3ds for a game, it was SMT4 and Kid Icarus Uprising the best game Nintendo made in the 2010s.
Don't worry man, no harm done. I sometimes also come across as aggressive. We're invested in this topic, haha. Your first point is interesting. I am not well versed in Japanese culture but is this really how some businesses over there act? If you'd argue from a purely financial standpoint, the stronger argument seems to be to get a possible audience as big as possible and PS4 didn't sell that much in Japan. But I wouldn't be completely surprised if you were right with this. Your second point might be the actual reason but that must also mean that Sega are very hands-off? Sega do have resources and people to help. Catherine was ported to PC by a Sega team, if I remember it correctly.
Even if multiplatform development is easier than it's ever been, it isn't "free". As in, there are still costs to consider and that adds up in terms of overall budget. It still takes manpower to tune the ports for the other versions.

If they developed with, say, PS4 in mind, and then did a Switch port, chances are they'd have to retool certain visual aspects to get stable performance on the platform. And if that means releasing later, then they have to justify the port some other way, usually by creating new content for that version. Which means more time, more manpower, and more money.

It's not a brain-dead simple thing to do, even if compared to previous generations it's easier than/more streamlined than ever.
That is my suspicion as well. Their tooling and engine might be too platform specific. I know the pains of porting software to other architectures and in one instance, I had to actually drop one feature because it wasn't feasible on the other architecture. That being said, P5 doesn't seem like something a PC or even a Switch couldn't run. The original P5 ran on the PS3 and P5R doesn't seem to do that much more. So that's why my suspicion is that it might not be "what did they do" but rather "how did they do it" type of problem.

In any case, I am a sucker for Atlus' stuff and so it seems I gotta go where they go... But it also pisses me off, lol.

Top Bottom