• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Maya's initial persona Maia,
Maia_P2.png
Which is actually awesome, even if a little goofy...it turns into....
???

ramyeon

Soejima's persona designs are definitely more likely to appeal to anime fans. A lot of the time they look like they'd fit right in on a shounen manga/anime series. I think the symbolism isn't very interesting most of the time and is really blatant and lacking any kind of subtlety though, a real trait of anime design. Not one in fond of either.

And while symbolism is nice and all a lot of then are fucking horrid. Polydeuces? Castor? Susano-O? Any of Teddie's atrocious Personas? I could go on, but a lot of them are just really bad despite the few gems he's designed. I really do not want a whole persona roster of his designs because the chances of bad ones just becomes larger and larger.

PK Gaming

Well seeing as how its basically just Susano-o with everything turned up to 10, I'm pretty sure we can go with the same explanation.
Probably.

There isn't much difference between the 2nd and 3rd tier forms. I wouldn't really bother trying to evaluate them as anything other than a bonus.

@Artemis: This Persona looks downright terrible.

Artemis, the Eternal Virgin Goddess, literally has giant blocks of ice/whatever covering her breasts and vagina.

Maia, the Blessed Mother Nymph, is literally a pregnant lady.

Sojima's Personas have in your face, literal character symbolism going on with them, where as Kaneko's Personas just look damn cool. Honestly, I would like a mix of both artists, but that is never going to happen.

Soejima's persona designs are definitely more likely to appeal to anime fans.

Funny you should say that, I have a Smedwicks-esque repulsion to anime. In fact Persona 4 was the first jrpg I'd played in years and it opened my eyes to the fact that there can be profound and and well thought out jrpgs out there.

Gazoinks

Honestly, both artists have pretty hit or miss Persona designs for me. Both of them have done some pretty awesome stuff and some goofy stuff. Can't we all just get along? :p

I wish that Kaneko went into his persona designs with the same philosophy as his demon designs. I mean his persona designs are aight, buy then you look at his actual demon designs like Lucifer, there is just a massive gulf in quality.

ramyeon

Funny you should say that, I have a Smedwicks-esque repulsion to anime. In fact Persona 4 was the first jrpg I'd played in years and it opened my eyes to the fact that there can be profound and and well thought out jrpgs out there.
Well they would look right at home on a shounen anime or manga series.
Honestly, both artists have pretty hit or miss Persona designs for me. Both of them have done some pretty awesome stuff and some goofy stuff. Can't we all just get along? :p
Well yeah of course. All I'm against is Soejima's redesigning the whole roster. It doesn't need to happen and if he can't even get all the main characters' personas great then how can he do the whole roster?

Well they would look right at home on a shounen anime or manga series.

Well yeah of course. All I'm against is Soejima's redesigning the whole roster. It doesn't need to happen and if he can't even get all the main characters' personas great then how can he do the whole roster?

I think they should invite a bunch of guest designers whose primary claim to fame is making crappy rubber suits for low budget tv shows.

Saviorjima is Law, and Kaneko is Chaos... and you can call me motherflippin' Michael, burning heretics left and right.

in all seriousness though, I really like Kaneko's art, I just had a stupid wish that'll never come true lol

Soma

Sojima's Personas have in your face, literal character symbolism going on with them, where as Kaneko's Personas just look damn cool. Honestly, I would like a mix of both artists, but that is never going to happen.

See if we're extending this to all of their designs in general, I honestly always felt the opposite here with Kaneko.

There's lots of really on-the-nose symbolism with some of his designs.

Like for example, with Omoikane:

a Shinto god of wisdom and intelligence. His name means "serving one's thoughts."

and his design is literally a brain:

Or more infamously, Mara which is

"Mara", in the Japanese language, is a colloquialism for "penis".

Among other things. And his design is well... you know.

fertygo

Kaneko's persona was amazing

He gone out of control for EP's persona though.

MIP and IS persona was great.

Ulala-Baofu-Katsuya's persona are yucky.

Setsu00

I wish that Kaneko went into his persona designs with the same philosophy as his demon designs. I mean his persona designs are aight, buy then you look at his actual demon designs like Lucifer, there is just a massive gulf in quality.

So you want Kaneko to design ... demons instead of Personas? In a Persona game?

Dantis

Kaneko's later art is fantastic in my opinion, once he got into really abstract and weird stuff. His early, more straight forward stuff ranges from average to terrible though.
P4D fanart

I think I'd actually be okay with the designs looking like this.

I doubt they'll all have the choker, headphones and same top on, though.

I can't draw parasols...

Maybe I should just draw a different kind of umbrella...

Why do you draw on paper if you have a tablet?

Also, how long do you spend drawing a picture? Genuinely interested in that kind of thing, because I feel like I spend way too long on a single image. I want to pick up my stylus and have it finished within an hour, haha.

Setsu00

Since we're talking about art, I thought I might post that quick and rough sketch of Rise I did recently. Took me about 10 minutes.

sbu6.png

Dantis

In my ideal world, a Persona 2: Eternal Punishment remake would be more of a reboot, with the ability to navigate an “overworld" free of monsters and engage people in extended dialogue ala Persona 3's Social Links system. However, that's somewhat unrealistic. I'll be happy if Atlus just tuned up the game a little. Less grind-y combat, please. More streamlined progression. Personas that don't require hours to bloody unlock. On a more superficial level, I'd really, really like better English voice acting. Not everyone was terrible, but some of the performances made me cringe. On a tangentially-related note, the characters' off-handed remarks during combat used to drive me bonkers. Ciao! Stupid! Whoop-ass completed? Cute, but hardly befitting a game like this.

Ooft, I agree. That would be rather wonderful.

Can't see them pursuing it though. The Persona Team's characters and style is undoubtedly more popular.

Since we're talking about art, I thought I might post that quick and rough sketch of Rise I did recently. Took me about 10 minutes.

Not bad for ten minutes! My art would be a right mess if I only spent ten minutes on it, haha.

Ooft, I agree. That would be rather wonderful.

Can't see them pursuing it though. The Persona Team's characters and style is undoubtedly more popular.

Not bad for ten minutes! My art would be a right mess if I only spent ten minutes on it, haha.

Maybe a like 5 or 6 years from now if the brand is still going strong.

I would be uber bummed if they did remake it and Maya didnt say The Whoop Ass Completed anymore though :(

It's on the level of Mark Danced Crazy for me

but Persona 2 had an overworld free of monsters though!!

Top Bottom