• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Dantis

a68MGvI.png

Hello!

Welcome to the Persona Community Thread. This thread has been created as a place to discuss all things around and about the Persona series, both within its mainline games as well as various spinoffs and re-releases.

Previous OTs:

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

ikt6.png

PLEASE READ

It is becoming increasingly apparent that in the very near future, Persona 5 will be shown. For this OT, we have two special rules to make sure that nobody gets Persona 5 ruined for them.

1. Spoiler tag everything that isn't obvious. Talking about things like characters, the general setting, the general gameplay etc. is fine, but everything else should be tagged.

2. No embedding Persona 5 images beyond things like the main character designs. No dungeon shots, no event shots, nothing like that.

The reason is that this is a thread for people who are passionate about Persona, and different people consider different things to be spoilers. Some people will want to go into the game entirely fresh, and we shouldn't hinder that. Being NeoGAF, all new media will have its own dedicated thread anyway, so if you desperately want to talk about something without tagging it, those threads would be the place.

Outside of those two Persona 5 specific rules, the same rules as other Community Threads applies. Be civil with people, mark your spoilers, and where possible, try to stay on topic.

pe4.png

IRC Channel

The IRC Channel is a place to chat with this community, but without being restricted to discussing Persona. It is almost always occupied and a great place to just hang out.

Steam Group

We also have a Steam group, which gets less use now due to the IRC. However, it's still a good place for one-on-one conversations and a good tool for the community.

Twitter

Most of us have, use and interact with each other on Twitter. I'm not going to list everyone's user names, but I'm sure that if you wanted to follow someone, they'd be happy to give out their Twitter handle.

p88j.png

S Link FM is a Persona themed podcast hosted by a handful of guys from the Persona community. Aside from covering many Persona related topics, they have also interviewed many of the actors from the Persona games, such as Karen Strassman and Erin Fitzgerald.

The Brink of Memories is the Tumblr that I run where I put all of my Persona fanart that I draw. I update it fairly regularly because drawing is just something I enjoy doing. There's a good amount of my art on there, and it's maybe worth checking out if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Scrafty & PK's Excellent Adventure is a let's play of Persona 3 hosted by Community members PK Gaming and Scrafty Devil. It's great fun to watch, and it's enjoyable to be able to see people from the community play something that we're all passionate about.

Aside from these three projects, we have lots of smaller things going on. Various people stream games (Often SMT related). ShmeebAlina and Jintor contribute occasional art. Newcomer TheTrueSelf recently created some great Persona 3 wallpapers. A lot of stuff happens, and there are some great people here doing it.

So that's us. Hopefully you'll like it here enough to stay.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Mr Edogawa's lectures in P4G are brilliant! I suppose the whole Jungian psychology thing is where the basic concepts of the game have come from back during brainstorming sessions. It's so neat to have some real-life academic works tie-in to the game's concept. It makes the whole "monsters in the TV world!" thing less of an "woah that's crazy!" thing and more like a metaphor for our real-lives.

misterF

Neo Member
Just finished Persona 3...feels weird being done with it after having spent almost 100 hours playing it! My thoughts about the game (in random order, too tired to do a structured post) :

- I'm always skeptical when a villain is built up to be an undefeatable foe because unless they go with a bad ending, it always ends with a Deus Ex Machina or an anti-climactic battle. The game made it clear how important SLinks were from the beginning so the way Nyx is defeated didn't really spring out of nowhere but all I could think of was genki dama.

- The ending itself though, perfect! How the characters reunite one last time before you close your eyes forever was a great way to end the story.

- Really liked the main characters and the evolution of their relationship over the game. It helps that the game is so long as it reinforces the fact that you were with them everyday and that outside of the Tartarus/Dark Hour plot you had to experience routine and everday life together.

- The Persona system remained addicting till the end but I was only level 70 when I finished the game so I missed out on a lot of fusions. I also missed out on defeating Death in Tartarus, I'm probably going to reload an earlier save to try.

- Thor + Heavy Master + Mjolnir = Badass

- Favorite moment : when the group visits Naganaki Shrine on New Year's day. The change in the music in particular made you realize that in one month you're facing your final battle.

-Worst moment : During Mitsuru's SLink, there was this event where her fiancé shows up outside of the movie theatre :
He acts like a jerk
Mitsuru defies him
She runs away after admitting she loves you.
Back at the dorm :
"Mitsuru : Welcome back"

I haven't played Persona 4 yet, I really hope that SLinks have at least a semblance of impact on the way characters act outside of the Slinks events.

- Was it ever explained how Strega survived their fall from the bridge?

-I'm leaving on a trip on Tuesday so I'll probably start Persona 4 then as I'm taking my vita with me. I'm now debating whether I should power through The Answer in 2 days but I'm afraid it'll burn me out on the series.

- Persona 3 is probably in my top 3 games of all times with Deus Ex and Final Fantasy 7.

Sophia

I can't believe this was picked as the topic title. Well done, Smedwicks. Your legacy will be remembered forever.
Until someone changes it, at least, lol.

Mr Edogawa's lectures in P4G are brilliant! I suppose the whole Jungian psychology thing is where the basic concepts of the game have come from back during brainstorming sessions. It's so neat to have some real-life academic works tie-in to the game's concept. It makes the whole "monsters in the TV world!" thing less of an "woah that's crazy!" thing and more like a metaphor for our real-lives.

The interesting thing about the lectures is they're a pretty accurate (if layman and shortened down for the sake of time) summery of Jungian psychology and other details. They really did their work for that stuff.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The interesting thing about the lectures is they're a pretty accurate (if layman and shortened down for the sake of time) summery of Jungian psychology and other details. They really did their work for that stuff.

Absolutely. They reminded me of browsing Wikipedia :). It's seriously a really cool way to present learning materials, imagine whole learning games presented in this way (with the cool anime art style and perhaps the knowledge stats). Would make learning so fun!

Absolutely. They reminded me of browsing Wikipedia :). It's seriously a really cool way to present learning materials, imagine whole learning games presented in this way (with the cool anime art style and perhaps the knowledge stats). Would make learning so fun!

Really? it put me to sleep. :lol

RaikuHebi

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find the heart icon from the game? I was thinking of putting it in the middle of my new avatar lol. I would screenshot it from the game but I can't remember any specific moments around my savefiles where it happens.

Tabby

Just finished Persona 3...feels weird being done with it after having spent almost 100 hours playing it! My thoughts about the game (in random order, too tired to do a structured post) :

- I'm always skeptical when a villain is built up to be an undefeatable foe because unless they go with a bad ending, it always ends with a Deus Ex Machina or an anti-climactic battle. The game made it clear how important SLinks were from the beginning so the way Nyx is defeated didn't really spring out of nowhere but all I could think of was genki dama.

- The ending itself though, perfect! How the characters reunite one last time before you close your eyes forever was a great way to end the story.

- Really liked the main characters and the evolution of their relationship over the game. It helps that the game is so long as it reinforces the fact that you were with them everyday and that outside of the Tartarus/Dark Hour plot you had to experience routine and everday life together.

- The Persona system remained addicting till the end but I was only level 70 when I finished the game so I missed out on a lot of fusions. I also missed out on defeating Death in Tartarus, I'm probably going to reload an earlier save to try.

- Thor + Heavy Master + Mjolnir = Badass

- Favorite moment : when the group visits Naganaki Shrine on New Year's day. The change in the music in particular made you realize that in one month you're facing your final battle.

-Worst moment : During Mitsuru's SLink, there was this event where her fiancé shows up outside of the movie theatre :
He acts like a jerk
Mitsuru defies him
She runs away after admitting she loves you.
Back at the dorm :
"Mitsuru : Welcome back"

I haven't played Persona 4 yet, I really hope that SLinks have at least a semblance of impact on the way characters act outside of the Slinks events.

- Was it ever explained how Strega survived their fall from the bridge?

-I'm leaving on a trip on Tuesday so I'll probably start Persona 4 then as I'm taking my vita with me. I'm now debating whether I should power through The Answer in 2 days but I'm afraid it'll burn me out on the series.

- Persona 3 is probably in my top 3 games of all times with Deus Ex and Final Fantasy 7.
Didn't think I'd love it as much as I did, only problem I had was the pacing.
Still can't get over how great that ending was, would be improved if they
made it more clear that the protag dies.

Omikaru

The only version I thought it was vague on was P3P. P3 and P3FES both clearly showed what had happened.

ramyeon

His lectures in Persona 3 are pretty much the same. He's the only teacher that rambles on, and on and on as well haha. I am almost certain every time he held a lecture the game gives you the option to doze off.
I don't know how it could be more clear? Although it was kind of unclear for the FeMC in P3P imo, but that's not canon anyway.

His lectures in Persona 3 are pretty much the same. He's the only teacher that rambles on, and on and on as well haha. I am almost certain every time he held a lecture the game gives you the option to doze off.
But he talked about some strange stuff in P3, compared to the lessons in P4G.

Sophia

It's a lot more clear in the Japanese version. Kimi no Kioku ("Memories of You"), the ending song, makes it very clear he died.

Tabby

The only version I thought it was vague on was P3P. P3 and P3FES both clearly showed what had happened.
I mean The Answer made it made It clear and I spoiled myself so I knew what was happening but the game was all "Hey bro you look tired!" and "Close your eyes?", it was rather vague in my opinion.

MSMrRound

Speaking of Persona 5, when will we get more info? I can't believe we don't even have a screenshot yet.

Not until they are done with Persona Q I guess. They might want to keep the focus on that as well as Arena/Dancing All Night and save the best for last.

Omikaru

Not until they are done with Persona Q I guess. They might want to keep the focus on that as well as Arena/Dancing All Night and save the best for last.

I think killing hype for Q is the main concern, since it and P5 are probably going after a similar audience of more general RPG fans, who may not care much for Q if they are getting excited for P5. I think Arena 2 and Dancing All Night won't really be affected by Persona 5 hype as much, as they're in different genres and probably appeal to the Persona hardcore who're buying all the games anyway.

In short, I'm going to predict we won't get P5 stuff until the summer, unless we get an unofficial leak before that.

PaulloDEC

So, the
Hollow Forest
. I feel like I'm being set up for a punchline right now. I'm on floor 5 (I think) at level 79, and I'm pretty much able to hit Rush Mode and coast through every encounter I come across (with the exception of one really annoying little King guy).

Does this sound normal?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Speaking of Persona 5, when will we get more info? I can't believe we don't even have a screenshot yet.

I'm going to avoid all of that. I went into P3P blind, and with P4G all I ever saw was the opening part of the game so I would still count it as going in blind. Might as well keep up the tradition with 5 as well!

So, the
Hollow Forest
. I feel like I'm being set up for a punchline right now. I'm on floor 5 (I think) at level 79, and I'm pretty much able to hit Rush Mode and coast through every encounter I come across (with the exception of one really annoying little King guy).

Does this sound normal?

Most of the dungeons felt like that towards the end. So yes. I can't comment on the Hollow Forest specifically as I didn't unlock it.

Daimaou

I think killing hype for Q is the main concern, since it and P5 are probably going after a similar audience of more general RPG fans, who may not care much for Q if they are getting excited for P5. I think Arena 2 and Dancing All Night won't really be affected by Persona 5 hype as much, as they're in different genres and probably appeal to the Persona hardcore who're buying all the games anyway.

In short, I'm going to predict we won't get P5 stuff until the summer, unless we get an unofficial leak before that.

This was my line of thought as well.

Man, I missed the changing of the thread again.

*sees thread title* /dead ... Oh man, poor Smed. XD

So happy to see this place continue to thrive, and the next few months ought to be pretty interesting as we start to approach release dates/windows for the new Persona games. We'll get to OT5 in no time! :)

Top Bottom