• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

tumblr_mbjdcwZS4a1rnjoh8o1_500.gif

EWFzV.gif

Sophia

Art's best when it comes for art's sake.

A lot of games usually are done for art's sake. But they can't simply ignore profits and people in this day and age, nor in this medium. Do you think Cave Story or La-Mulana would have gotten the remakes they got if they had ignored the very people interested in it?

Hell, we wouldn't even have the Persona series if it was done entirely for art's sake and nothing else. =P

Damn, and I thought my butt post was good.

One does not outdo the Buddha, after all...

Acid08

Banned
Welp literature quotes and "are games art" arguments have come out, I'm done with this.

To change the subject: that Yosuke huh? What a dildo. And Marie? What's her deal?

Let's change the topic shall we? What system of persona summoning do you think P5 is going to use?

Edit: I mean in terms of how they summon their persona. P3 had evokers and P4 had cards

CorvoSol

It's simply impossible to ignore sales. In any medium. Especially not when the games themselves are so expensive to make in the first place.

The reality is that developers and artists must simply balance their vision with the needs of their consumers. That's where the truly good games come from.

They're not terribly difficult games. They just ask the player to invest some time into exploring. Which is not an unreasonable request if you're playing a game. :p

Final Fantasy 2 has a totally abusable level system anyhow. >_>;

I dunno. I mean, I've played FF2 enough times that I can break it no problem, but the game's dungeon layout is positively evil. And what I remember of DQ3 was wandering forever and ever the world map looking for some Shoals or something so I could see a Dragon Queen.

Squire

Banned
Let's change the topic shall we? What system of persona summoning do you think P5 is going to use?

You're the wild card: the team is set to one.

Edit: And if the team isn't set to one, specific persona each, they're limited to their arcana, which you would of course progress through their S. Link to gain access to their other personas for you and them alike.

Sophia

Welp literature quotes and "are games art" arguments have come out, I'm done with this.

To change the subject: that Yosuke huh? What a dildo. And Marie? What's her deal?

The art debate is usually silly anyhow, seeing as it basically boils down how "How do you define the term Art?", which nobody can seem to agree on. Even Wikipedia has a very vague and general "Art is a diverse range of human activities and the products of those activities" as a description, because it is harder to define it more clearly or precisely.

I dunno. I mean, I've played FF2 enough times that I can break it no problem, but the game's dungeon layout is positively evil. And what I remember of DQ3 was wandering forever and ever the world map looking for some Shoals or something so I could see a Dragon Queen.

They are byproducts of their era after all. For what its worth, of the classic Final Fantasy games, FF2 is unquestionably the hardest for all the wrong reasons and probably only second to FF13 as the weakest entry in the entire series.

Gazoinks

I could see the characters miming breaking chains. Either that or everyone carries around a chair that they break to summon Persona. New gameplay mechanic: Keep buying chairs to break or you'll run out and can't summon! :p

Daimaou

A lot of games usually are done for art's sake. But they can't simply ignore profits and people in this day and age, nor in this medium. Do you think Cave Story or La-Mulana would have gotten the remakes they got if they had ignored the very people interested in it?

Hell, we wouldn't even have the Persona series if it was done entirely for art's sake and nothing else. =P

There's nothing wrong with capitalizing on what you've made, especially if people seem to enjoy it.

Bit of an idealist, don't you think?

That view is very valid, and beautiful, and romantic, and not realistic in the context of this discussion.

Tools are becoming both more plentiful and simpler to use, we'll get there eventually.

Moonlight

Banned
It's not going to be any different from P3 or 4, mechanically.

Unless you're talking about the method ala Evokers and card crushing. And on that point, I'm gonna say it'll just be card crushing again. But then again, it's hard to identify what it'll be without having a more specific idea about the theme of the game.

EMT0

Banned
I could see the characters miming breaking chains. Either that or everyone carries around a chair that they break to summon Persona. New gameplay mechanic: Keep buying chairs to break or you'll run out and can't summon! :p

It's a good thing Kanji was more open-minded and was willing to use just about anything, otherwise Tatsumi Textiles would have gone out of business a few weeks into the game, eh?

Lunar15

Weirdly, I can see the chain thing happening. I had never thought about that before.

I was actually thinking something along the lines of chains or cuffs because of the whole slave theme. Not sure on how they could make each person's animation different though.

Squire

Banned
Tools are becoming both more plentiful and simpler to use, we'll get there eventually.

As someone who plans on making games (for a living) this is something I hope happens.

Agreed.

It's not going to be any different from P3 or 4, mechanically.

Unless you're talking about the method ala Evokers and card crushing. And on that point, I'm gonna say it'll just be card crushing again. But then again, it's hard to identify what it'll be without having a more specific idea about the theme of the game.

What if the ball and chain is the new thing?

CorvoSol

They are byproducts of their era after all. For what its worth, of the classic Final Fantasy games, FF2 is unquestionably the hardest for all the wrong reasons and probably only second to FF13 as the weakest entry in the entire series.

Definitely. I just see why one would want a walkthrough when playing old NES FF or DQ games. It's easy to get lost in those ones.

Moonlight

Banned
I dunno, I'm not sure the chains will necessarily be related to summoning Personae themselves. It just seems a little too on the nose for me. It's not like the P4 crew carried around TV remotes to turn on their Personae. Then again, P3 had its' protagonists look like they were trying to kill themselves every time they summoned their Persona. But I think P5 will be consistent with P4 in the protagonists accepting it rather than forcing it out like SEES did.

I like miming breaking chains but if everyone is more or less performing the same motion, you kind of cut out that element of the game where you can pick up a certain detail about a character's personality by how they perform the act of summoning.

Squire

Banned
I dunno, I'm not sure the chains will necessarily be related to summoning Personae themselves. It just seems a little too on the nose for me. It's not like the P4 crew carried around TV remotes to turn on their Personae. Then again, P3 had its' protagonists look like they were trying to kill themselves every time they summoned their Persona.

I like miming breaking chains but if everyone is more or less performing the same motion, you kind of cut out that element of the game where you can pick up a certain detail about a character's personality by how they perform the act of summoning.

I just don't think chains are that cool at all. There's a slickness to Evokers, cards, and the glasses.

A hypothetical "Shadow Saki" I drew because I wanted to.
ocq9AgH.png

I was interested in learning more about the first two victims, I felt kind of cheated you never really got to see what made them tick. So I extrapolated a bit from the little you actually see of Saki, and I figured her Shadow might have had something to do with her feeling like a betrayer--working for the very company that is driving her parents out of business, pretending to like someone to get ahead, etc. I don't know, I might be completely off the mark, and the symbolism is a little arcane, but I had fun. I think I'll try to do one for all of the characters maybe. Yamano should be pretty easy I think.

Sophia

Definitely. I just see why one would want a walkthrough when playing old NES FF or DQ games. It's easy to get lost in those ones.

Well, certainly takes the fun out of the adventure if you use a walkthrough for most of them. The games aren't unfair, after all.

Mind you, I may be biased. I grew up playing the Dark Savant Wizardry trilogy after all. :p

Holy shit. That's amazing.

I was interested in learning more about the first two victims, I felt kind of cheated you never really got to see what made them tick. So I extrapolated a bit from the little you actually see of Saki, and I figured her Shadow might have had something to do with her feeling like a betrayer--working for the very company that is driving her parents out of business, pretending to like someone to get ahead, etc. I don't know, I might be completely off the mark, and the symbolism is a little arcane, but I had fun. I think I'll try to do one for all of the characters maybe. Yamano should be pretty easy I think.

Damn, that's awesome! :D

It's not like the P4 crew carried around TV remotes to turn on their Personae.

True, but it would be pretty humorous if they did.

like miming breaking chains but if everyone is more or less performing the same motion, you kind of cut out that element of the game where you can pick up a certain detail about a character's personality by how they perform the act of summoning.

Yup, kind of breaks the theory unless they can somehow figure out unique actions for all them.

Too much Rise up in here. (Up in here)

There can never be too much Rise.

ramyeon

ocq9AgH.png

Pretty cool, the torso of the shadow is channeling a bit of Kaneko I see! :)

Top Bottom