• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the Golden Epilogue can exist along side the DLC character in Ultimax.

Dojima calls Adachi a model prisoner, but he had to escape prison in order to be in Ultimax. Did no one notice?

Why is no one on the IT worried about Adachi escaping again? If he did it once, he'd probably do it again.

DNAbro

I wonder how the Golden Epilogue can exist along side the DLC character in Ultimax.

Dojima calls Adachi a model prisoner, but he had to escape prison in order to be in Ultimax. Did no one notice?

Why is no one on the IT worried about Adachi escaping again? If he did it once, he'd probably do it again.

This is just what I'm assuming from what i've heard.

Doesn't the red fog that appears cause everyone except persona users to disappear? So Adachi could escape during that time frame and for whatever reason he goes back to jail in the end. We have no idea what his goals are, so I'm sure that will be explained.

Well, we won't really know until Ultimax comes out.

Cool. I wonder when we'll start to see some English footage.

FluxWaveZ

Again.

Everyone in Inaba except for Persona users have vanished in Ultimax. People keep mentioning how
Adachi somehow snuck out
without considering this point, or the fact that Persona users are fighting in the real world.

And I think the dialogue between the IT and even the Shadow Ops clearly indicate
that they're very wary of him.

Cool. I wonder when we'll start to see some English footage.

Maybe Atlus USA will do the Atlus Japan media strategy of concentrated update periods with a regular flow of new information, with the PQ website eventually opening up. That's probably what I'd like best, in any case.

Levito

Banned
Troy Baker not being Kanji made my heart sink. Might sell my copy of Q since I pre-ordered it at a discount.

VskCtBr.gif

FluxWaveZ

Some nice Atlus based chaos going on in the past few days. Things sure will get pretty awesome if/when Atlus confirms that Ultimax will be region locked.

wmlk

Hopefully Troy Baker does stuff for the anime. Not a lot of people noticed the change midway through but it annoyed me.

Hey, I was right, that's like... half the original main cast right there then.

But seriously, not cool.

Not.

Cool.

There are plenty of long running series that maintain voice actors for characters. Actors can get busy though and have to make choices between projects. This has nothing to do with P4 being "milked" and it's idiotic to suggest so.
I feel like this is a preemptive jab against me.

lol

Nimby

Banned
Maybe I am overreacting a bit but... Kanji was my favourite and Troy did such an awesome job :(

Just a tad :p

Mercer is good as Kanji, so it doesn't bother me much at all. Troy is obviously first, but I'm glad they got Mercer so we don't have OG Kanji vs. New Kanji.

It's really not, but I stand by the statement. Like I said a few pages ago: shit happens. Troy specifically is very busy. We know that.
Fair enough. But I still feel as I did--one or two voices here and there, whatever, but we've now seen half of the original main cast replaced. It's been a slow burn, but I still see it as a sign to move on. It's showing its age.

That said, I also know you disagree with me fundamentally on this, so whatever.

Squire

Banned
Fair enough. But I still feel as I did--one or two voices here and there, whatever, but we've now seen half of the original main cast replaced. It's been a slow burn, but I still see it as a sign to move on. It's showing its age.

I do. It isn't a sign of anything other than actors having things to do. Any other reading of the situation is stupid and you're smarter than that.

Some people's schedules don't align with our preferences for our video games. Boo hoo. I'll drop it here though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is P3 not as good as P4G? I probably screwed up by playing P4G first.

After 4 hours, P3 still hasn't grabbed me attention the way P4G did from the opening sequence.

PK Gaming

I'm inclined to disagree, considering this is unique to the english dub.

kewlmyc

After 4 hours, P3 still hasn't grabbed me attention the way P4G did from the opening sequence.

Even though I like P3 more, P4G is arguably the better game. Which P3 are you playing?

Either way, I will say that P3 gets better the longer you go on. Persevere!

Nimby

Banned

I love both P4 and P3 about the same, but just keep playing. The rough spots for this game are definitely the beginning, and a bit before the end.

I'll drop it here though.
Probably for the best.

I'm inclined to disagree, considering this is unique to the english dub.
The two regions have very different cultures around voice acting, so I don't know if that's a fair comparison. Japan would sometimes sooner drop a character than change their voice actor. To flip it on its head, I could see the Japanese P4 cast continue voicing them forever and I wouldn't see that as a sign of anything.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Even though I like P3 more, P4G is arguably the better game. Which P3 are you playing?

Either way, I will say that P3 gets better the longer you go on. Persevere!

The PS2 version. I guess I just need to give it more time until the sexy robot girls show up.

True, he doesn't seem like the type of guy that would act that he is above anything. He might be busy with other gigs.

Let's be honest, he's also REAL famous now in the biz, so that "busy" is "not that I want you to pay me more for my time than in 2008, but that these other guys will pay me more than you're paying", and I understand.

From what's been shown and talked about Persona Q, the game is full of voice overs, interactions between characters and such. One can only imagine how busy Troy is these days, he's probably already doing voice work for a shit load of stuff plus titles that we don't even dream about... Maybe even Persona 5 who knows ;) ?! Then there was the Naoto issue, that I won't raise again because everyone is fully aware of it, etc, etc...
As much as I love Persona, I understand that games are a business, things can't just happen because fans want them to unfortunately. Persona is Atlus' baby though, so I trust their judgement in the changes made in the roster.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe even Persona 5 who knows ;) ?!

Us?

Edit: Tangentially, I was trying to find that one Troy Baker Twitter/Facebook response to the person who asked if he was going to be voicing Kanji in the upcoming Persona games a long while back and he replied with something akin to: "I don't know what you're talking about." Guess he wasn't lying, heh.

Flux it was a joke LOL.

'Course, hence the smiley.

Squire

Banned
Catty is about the last thing I'm capable of being.

It's alright, no harm done.

I apologize anyway.

I love P4s original cast, but I think people are being pretty overdramatic about the cast changes. Turning what's very clearly nothing more than multiple scheduling issues into support for the "milking P4" argument is extra grating, too. It has nothing to do with that and it's not up for debate. There are actors who have played characters continuously or even on and off for twenty years or more. I would think people who post here regularly would be smart enough to know that and it's just frustrating to see some formulating silly straw men arguments instead.

I get it. I'm disappointed too, but I think people would do well to step back and apply some reason here.

Now that's my take.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm just upset because Troy Baker is my personal lord and savior. I have a shrine to him that I pray at every night. His framed photograph smiles down upon me as I sleep, bringing me good fortune and plentiful waifus.

I have been awake for thirty hours straight.

It is sad to see talented people go, but damn, both Persona 3 and Persona 4 aren't relatively new titles too when you think about it in terms of a "game's age". I mean the fact that half the cast is still there is actually really good in my eyes, and it's not like Atlus didn't try to get everyone on board for these last titles. Idk, personally like I said I'm a huge fan, but I don't see the big issue in it. Sure it saddens me a bit, but there's nothing we can do but play the game and give these new VAs a chance. Who knows, they might even surprise us, I liked new Chie better than old Chie for example, although I feel like I might be part of a minority here.

It is sad to see talented people go, but damn, both Persona 3 and Persona 4 aren't relatively new titles too when you think about it in terms of a "game's age". I mean the fact that half the cast is still there is actually really good in my eyes, and it's not like Atlus didn't try to get everyone on board for these last titles. Idk, personally like I said I'm a huge fan, but I don't see the big issue in it. Sure it saddens me a bit, but there's nothing we can do but play the game and give these new VAs a chance. Who knows, they might even surprise us, I liked new Chie better than old Chie for example, although I feel like I might be part of a minority here.
As far as I'm concerned the voice actors are the characters just as much as any actor is the character they play. I have no desire to see them replaced in any crossover--feels like it defeats the purpose of the characters returning.

Overdramatic, maybe, but I don't care.

Heh, that'd be amazing. It'd at least be more interesting than seeing most of the story rehashed again. A Groundhog Day Scenario where Yu tries to prevent bad things he knows will happen, but happen anyways.

That would be awesome, and it gets weirder for him since something things he hasn't experienced before happen (like Marie or the new events.)

Another voice change?! Oh well. I really enjoyed Baker's perfomance in P4, prob one of my favourite voices. Still, I didn't notice the voice change in the anime so Mercer's ain't gonna be a problem.

K1kGkfd.jpg

Pretty sure all the replacements are known now, for anyone worrying about other roles.

Does this confirms P3MC having Yuri's voice?

I am super bummed that Troy Baker isn't coming back as Kanji. I seriously am reconsidering my immediate purchase of Persona Q upon release.
Troy Baker not being Kanji made my heart sink. Might sell my copy of Q since I pre-ordered it at a discount.

Come on.

People being upset about the VA changes shows how great the Persona series is.
Yes, I think it's worth noting that there are different expectations for for everything, depending on the circumstances. Like, if someone replaced Kyle Hebert as Ryu in Street Fighter, who cares. Replacing main characters from a 90+ hour story based RPG? That's a different matter entirely.

PK Gaming

Probably for the best.

The two regions have very different cultures around voice acting, so I don't know if that's a fair comparison. Japan would sometimes sooner drop a character than change their voice actor. To flip it on its head, I could see the Japanese P4 cast continue voicing them forever and I wouldn't see that as a sign of anything.

So if I have it right, your argument is that P4's inability to keep the same english voice actors is a result of series fatigue? Is that the logic at work here? No disrespect, but I don't see how the 2 are even remotely related. It's pretty clear cut that scheduling conflicts, difficulty with union actors, and bad luck are the reason for the myriad of voice acting changes. Because even games like Final Fantasy (aka the undisputed kings of milking franchises) can manage to consistently keep their old actors. Furthermore, it's not something that "happened" over time. It's been "happening" since the P4 anime was dubbed, and has since continued until now. I can only describe as an unfortunate string of bad luck.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the notion that P3/P4 is going through some series fatigue, but I just think your overall assessment is way off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom