• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyoaki

That's the thing I love about meguro though, is that he loves to mix up his styles a lot. I'm sure there would be some hip hop inspired tracks in there. Even his hip hop stuff in 3 is very acid jazz influenced.
I could imagine him going for a Nujabes-like jazz hop style for the mellower tracks on the soundtrack (I would certainly love him to do that). I think we're going to get a better picture of what the OST will be like once we get to listen to a song with vocals.

FluxWaveZ

In Japan, today is the 15th anniversary of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's release. It's the worst selling of the mainline releases. The PSP remake did notoriously bad, with only about 50k sales in Japan, and we never even got it officially released in North America.

Still, it's a solid game with a great cast and story. It deserved to do better than it did; perhaps, in some way, it served to inform the development of Persona 3.

Soooooo... where do I find said list? :p

I'd write a simple story if at least the person who did Yu's mocap would say who he is.

FluxWaveZ

They are listed in the credits:

http://i.imgur.com/r7xjVEF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9UCAuZ5.jpg

(images edited to be spoiler free)

Thanks for the editing the image for spoilers; I had thought about checking the credits, but I didn't want to be seeing those, so I had to resort to unconventional sources rather than direct.

I guess they're all there, so I won't need to bother. It's pretty cool how much thought went into the mocap. It's interesting how Kanami Mashita had two motion actors, I had found Natsumi Oetake, but didn't know Arisa Noto danced for that character too.

Tunic

About 22 hours into Persona 4 and I am absolutely loving every minute of it! First Shin Megami Tensei game I have ever played.

danthefan

I'm about 5 hours into P4G and just coming to the end of the first dungeon and... I really don't like the dungeon crawling parts tbh. It just isn't really that fun running down the same corridor for like 7 floors. Everything else about the game is awesome though. I kinda have anxiety (like, in a relative sense) now than then thinking "if I hang out with this guy I can't hang out with that guy/whatever, am I missing out on something" but I think I just need to get over it and go with it.

About 22 hours into Persona 4 and I am absolutely loving every minute of it! First Shin Megami Tensei game I have ever played.

I'm about 5 hours into P4G and just coming to the end of the first dungeon and... I really don't like the dungeon crawling parts tbh. It just isn't really that fun running down the same corridor for like 7 floors. Everything else about the game is awesome though. I kinda have anxiety (like, in a relative sense) now than then thinking "if I hang out with this guy I can't hang out with that guy/whatever, am I missing out on something" but I think I just need to get over it and go with it.

Hope you both enjoy it, it's a fantastic game. The dungeon crawling is certainly the weakest part but hopefully you find that everything else makes up for the dungeons.

koutoru

In Japan, today is the 15th anniversary of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment's release. It's the worst selling of the mainline releases. The PSP remake did notoriously bad, with only about 50k sales in Japan, and we never even got it officially released in North America.

Still, it's a solid game with a great cast and story. It deserved to do better than it did; perhaps, in some way, it served to inform the development of Persona 3.

I wish Atlus themselves would draw more attention to the first two Persona games in general. They're not even mentioned on the official Persona channel at all.

I always hope they'll go back and revisit some of the characters for future spin off games but that seems unlikely.

Andrefpvs

Get rid of that anxiety right now. Let me tell you why: it's impossible to see everything on your first playthrough. You are actually not supposed to even try.

Just enjoy doing whatever you think is right. Hang out with whoever you like.

Hope this helps. The game really is best enjoyed when you aren't worrying about these things.

PK Gaming

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was a really cool game. It took the concept of direct sequel and completely flipped it on its head, so what you got was a mix of familiar and the unknown. The characters we grew to love were back... except they were different. Instead of focusing on teens, the game followed an adult perspective, which changed how things flowed. If I had to put it into words, it was less... romantic? Less about a bunch unsung teens playing hero and operating in secret, and more about adults doing their best to fix things while having their own business to deal with.There was a distinct adult flavor that permeated the entire game, so onto top of having protagonists were determined to save the day, they also had jobs in various fields, all of which tied back into their characters in a meaningful way. Ulala, Baofu and Katsuya were pretty stellar characters, and I really enjoyed all of their arcs, but the character who stands out the most is Tatsuya. Tatsuya in EP was a character who was forced to grow up way too quickly. It was interesting seeing him play off the other characters. He spends most of the game being more "in the know" and protecting your group, but in the end he was still just a kid, and the game absolutely recognizes. It's minor, but I really like his relationship with Baofu, and his relationship with his brother is pretty poignant.

p2pep_17.jpg
b552b853c6865e4e9f5b50ed1120a09320120301120833.jpg

16-Persona2-3-10.jpg
tumblr_n06ddrhptD1rpsmato2_500.jpg

The game straight up has the best atmosphere and world in the Persona series, by far. The giant, sprawling Sumari city is a top notch setting, filled with interesting characters and fun locales that change as you play through the game. I really appreciated the rearrangement of locations from P2:IS, since it was yet another example of screwing with your expectations. The cast and story were terrific; the story was more grounded and less prone to going on bizarre tangents, and the various events were generally pretty enjoyable. As a direct follow up to P2:IS, it doesn't lose a beat and ends on a very satisfying note. The ending
is the ending in the series that emotionally affected me the most.
The game also featured the best antagonists in the series, and a main antagonist that was downright magnificent. Easily the best of the
supernatural deities.
P2:EP was also the first Persona game to feature a female protagonist, which rocked but the fact that she couldn't really talk, sucked haha.

I absolutely hated playing it, but in terms of story and character, it's probably the best in the franchise.

tumblr_n06ddrhptD1rpsmato1_500.jpg

Weiss

Banned
Whoever made the Metal Trio fight in Eternal Punishment is a bad person and should feel bad.

EDIT: Agreed with everything PKGaming said above. Eternal Punishment is a gigantic pain in the ass to play, but everything else is stellar. It has the best cast of the entire SMT franchise, Sumaru is the best setting in Persona, filled with eclectic and strange characters drawn by Kaneko at the height of his career, the soundtrack is amazing and always sells the mood of the current setting, and the late 90's anime style has aged very gracefully.

It really is the lowest selling game in the Persona franchise? That's a huge shame. I know the PSP ports of the early Persona games did alright, so why was EP-P such a bomb?

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
@PK, totally agree. I also like how the plot moved a little faster than IS. Though I don't know if that was just me remembering the how the events in IS start out and figuring out what will happen next in EP. But over all shit got real damn fast in that game.

I'm wondering sadly if EP's more adult cast and feel is what made it do so bad and why the newer Persona games are even more juvenile(I don't mean this in a bad way, I just mean more teen focused) than previous ones.

I really need to get back to Eternal Punishment sometime soon, it's just such a slog to play and it doesn't have to benefit of being so easy that I can sleepwalk from cutscene to cutscene like Innocent Sin on PSP.

NichM

Banned
Eh, I'm still not convinced that the thirst is as real as people think. I feel that the thirst is coming mostly from the niche fanbase, which there's nothing wrong with. I just don't see it breaking a million copies within a few months of sales unless there's a drastic change in how the game is marketed in other territories outside of Japan.

It doesn't have to come anywhere near a million to be by far the most successful Persona game in the US. A game is not a failure until it hits 1M sold.

Weiss

Banned
I really need to get back to Eternal Punishment sometime soon, it's just such a slog to play and it doesn't have to benefit of being so easy that I can sleepwalk from cutscene to cutscene like Innocent Sin on PSP.

It takes a while but eventually you get into the groove of things. You really need to follow a guide, but deviate if you want to. The only really important gameplay tips would be that you can use old Personae for huge stretches of the game since they can get stat increases, and combat really revolves around fusions, so try and balance your team to use as many fusions as you can and use spell cards to fill in the blanks. It seems counter-intuitive, but don't try and summon and rank up too many Personae. They can interfere with your game plan and a lot of them are just plain useless.

You only ever really need to go on grinding sessions to rank up an entire new roster of Personae maybe three or four times the entire game. Other than that you can just gradually swap different Personae in and use them in fusions. When your team's current Personae are Rank 8 and you don't want to fight anymore, just Contact for a ton of cards, or use the Estoma spell. It's a godsend when you just want to run through a dungeon or when you're doing the mapping quest.

Only the most dedicated RPG players can even try Persona 2 and I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping it because it is super boring, but I genuinely feel that everything else about the game makes up for the terrible slog that is the combat.

Young Magus

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was a really cool game. It took the concept of direct sequel and completely flipped it on its head, so what you got was a mix of familiar and the unknown. The characters we grew to love were back... except they were different. Instead of focusing on teens, the game followed an adult perspective, which changed how things flowed. If I had to put it into words, it was less... romantic? Less about a bunch unsung teens playing hero and operating in secret, and more about adults doing their best to fix things while having their own business to deal with.There was a distinct adult flavor that permeated the entire game, so onto top of having protagonists were determined to save the day, they also had jobs in various fields, all of which tied back into their characters in a meaningful way. Ulala, Baofu and Katsuya were pretty stellar characters, and I really enjoyed all of their arcs, but the character who stands out the most is Tatsuya. Tatsuya in EP was a character who was forced to grow up way too quickly. It was interesting seeing him play off the other characters. He spends most of the game being more "in the know" and protecting your group, but in the end he was still just a kid, and the game absolutely recognizes. It's minor, but I really like his relationship with Baofu, and his relationship with his brother is pretty poignant.

The game straight up has the best atmosphere and world in the Persona series, by far. The giant, sprawling Sumari city is a top notch setting, filled with interesting characters and fun locales that change as you play through the game. I really appreciated the rearrangement of locations from P2:IS, since it was yet another example of screwing with your expectations. The cast and story were terrific; the story was more grounded and less prone to going on bizarre tangents, and the various events were generally pretty enjoyable. As a direct follow up to P2:IS, it doesn't lose a beat and ends on a very satisfying note. The ending
The game also featured the best antagonists in the series, and a main antagonist that was downright magnificent. Easily the best of the
supernatural deities.
P2:EP was also the first Persona game to feature a female protagonist, which rocked but the fact that she couldn't really talk, sucked haha.

I absolutely hated playing it, but in terms of story and character, it's probably the best in the franchise.

tumblr_n06ddrhptD1rpsmato1_500.jpg

PK.....You cool. You basically hit all the points I would state about the game.

Gameplay is ass but the world and story should still be taken in.

It takes a while but eventually you get into the groove of things. You really need to follow a guide, but deviate if you want to. The only really important gameplay tips would be that you can use old Personae for huge stretches of the game since they can get stat increases, and combat really revolves around fusions, so try and balance your team to use as many fusions as you can and use spell cards to fill in the blanks. It seems counter-intuitive, but don't try and summon and rank up too many Personae. They can interfere with your game plan and a lot of them are just plain useless.

You only ever really need to go on grinding sessions to rank up an entire new roster of Personae maybe three or four times the entire game. Other than that you can just gradually swap different Personae in and use them in fusions. When your team's current Personae are Rank 8 and you don't want to fight anymore, just Contact for a ton of cards, or use the Estoma spell. It's a godsend when you just want to run through a dungeon or when you're doing the mapping quest.

Only the most dedicated RPG players can even try Persona 2 and I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping it because it is super boring, but I genuinely feel that everything else about the game makes up for the terrible slog that is the combat.

Yeah I'll probably use a guide when I do go back to it because I totally want to finish it, I loved IS and really enjoyed what I had played of EP so while the gameplay can be a slog I know it will be worth sticking with it.

Weiss

Banned
That moment when you go to the Time Castle and
figure out that the guy there is fucking Nyarlathotep.

...I like EP's combat and persona managing style.

I like it a lot more in theory than I do in execution. Dozens of Personae each with something unique to offer, being able to order which character goes when for extra control over fights, seven unique party members who each have affinities for certain Arcana, a battle system that lets you radically alter the stats, weaknesses and skills of your teammates on the fly, Fusion Spells that encourage experimentation and reward using specific combinations for massive damage, and a vast Conversation system with the demons with some pretty hilarious results, like seeing Ulala, Baofu and Katsuya knock back some drinks and complain about their jobs.

It has everything together to be one of the most genuinely complex and rewarding battle systems ever seen on the PS1, but in implementation, everything is a huge, slow grind.

CorvoSol

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was a really cool game. It took the concept of direct sequel and completely flipped it on its head, so what you got was a mix of familiar and the unknown. The characters we grew to love were back... except they were different. Instead of focusing on teens, the game followed an adult perspective, which changed how things flowed. If I had to put it into words, it was less... romantic? Less about a bunch unsung teens playing hero and operating in secret, and more about adults doing their best to fix things while having their own business to deal with.There was a distinct adult flavor that permeated the entire game, so onto top of having protagonists were determined to save the day, they also had jobs in various fields, all of which tied back into their characters in a meaningful way.

Its my personal take that EP is a lot like IS, except where teens can be suckered in by bombastic stories of immortal nazi space wizards riding magitek armor and hunting christian and aztec relics, adults needed transnational government criminal conspiracy coverups.

You wind up aboard Xibalba either way, all that changes is what you are likely to believe.

daevious

As long as we're on the Eternal Punishment love boat, let me say that as someone who's never played the game itself but did follow a let's play of it years ago, it can't be understated how good EP's plot is. It's easy to follow if you don't know what happens in Innocent Sin which is really impressive when you consider that the first half of Eternal Punishment's plot is basically "What happened in Innocent Sin?" and the second half is cleaning up the mess that Innocent Sin's ending caused. As much as people love to harp on Innocent Sin's plot being great, it's honestly Eternal Punishment that's the real star of the two.

As a direct follow up to P2:IS, it doesn't lose a beat and ends on a very satisfying note. The ending

Agreed on the ending being really good, the final music piece when
Maya remembers Tatsuya again but she walks past him anyway
got so ingrained into my brain that I'd remembered it even after I'd forgotten the exact scene itself, which is incredibly apt considering the central hook of Eternal Punishment. :p

I like it a lot more in theory than I do in execution. Dozens of Personae each with something unique to offer, being able to order which character goes when for extra control over fights, seven unique party members who each have affinities for certain Arcana, a battle system that lets you radically alter the stats, weaknesses and skills of your teammates on the fly, Fusion Spells that encourage experimentation and reward using specific combinations for massive damage, and a vast Conversation system with the demons with some pretty hilarious results, like seeing Ulala, Baofu and Katsuya knock back some drinks and complain about their jobs.

It has everything together to be one of the most genuinely complex and rewarding battle systems ever seen on the PS1, but in implementation, everything is a huge, slow grind.

I'm not going to pretend for a moment that it's everyone's cup of tea but I don't mind a grindy game every now and again. Especially when it's hitched to all the great things you listed here.

FluxWaveZ

It doesn't have to come anywhere near a million to be by far the most successful Persona game in the US. A game is not a failure until it hits 1M sold.

That relates to what the Atlus USA VP of sales and marketing said:
We always think in relative terms. We can't think in millions of units and all that—we don't have those numbers here.
I believe Catherine was said to be the biggest launch in the history of Atlus USA back in 2011, when it sold 78k units in its first week and went on to sell 230k copies by the end of the year.

Persona 5's going to be doing better than that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, hearing that EP is a pain in the ass to play though is really discouraging me from playing it after my experience with IS.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Are we talking about DDS levels of random encounters?

I mean I honestly don't mind random encounters too much, as long as the fundamental gameplay is fun. IS was not fun.

Jintor

by the way, did the p4 cast stop *needing* glasses in the fog world already in P4A? I guess it wasn't the fog world anymore at that point.

The Blu-ray, DVD set, and live CD set for PERSONA SUPER LIVE 2015 will be released on August 26, 2015, according to the latest issue of Persona Magazine. Pre-order bonuses for the Blu-ray or DVD set include a backstage video, as well as the announcement video for Persona 5 at the event. The Blu-ray comes out to about 6,000 JPY ($48 USD), the DVD set comes out to 5,000 JPY ($40 USD), and the live CD set comes out to about 2,900 JPY ($23 USD).

Dantis

My P4D Vita arrived this morning. P4D is great. Love it.

The Vita is really nice too, and the remix of Signs of Love is excellent.

Highly recommended to those who aren't sure whether or not to play the game.

Setsu00

by the way, did the p4 cast stop *needing* glasses in the fog world already in P4A? I guess it wasn't the fog world anymore at that point.

The fog was gone by the end of Persona 4.

I'm not sure about Ultimax, but considering that a different entity was the cause of the fog in that game, it might not be the same kind of fog.

Also, happy birthday Dantis!

So...I finally bought a physical copy of P3 FES.

...is this it? Is the only reason why people prefer this to Portable is the fact there's FMV's (Which look like complete shite, especially when we have stuff like the P3 movie) and the ability to actually walk around the environments, which to the game's credit, allows them to pop out more compared to the pitiful processing power of the PSP? Because other then that, there's frankly nothing that isn't done better in P3P, especially the actual dungeon gameplay. I'd rather not have my party be run by the AI.

kiyoaki

...is this it? Is the only reason why people prefer this to Portable is the fact there's FMV's (Which look like complete shite, especially when we have stuff like the P3 movie) and the ability to actually walk around the environments, which to the game's credit, allows them to pop out more compared to the pitiful processing power of the PSP? Because other then that, there's frankly nothing that isn't done better in P3P, especially the actual dungeon gameplay. I'd rather not have my party be run by the AI.
Essentially, yes. There's also The Answer, but that gets a bit dour about halfway through and it doesn't really add much to the story IMO.

I still think P3FES is the best choice for a first playthrough, because the in-game engine cutscenes and the environments you can walk around help with immersion and storytelling. P3P is great for a second playthrough because it allows you to shortcut all the walking around you've already done once, and because it has a better MC and significant additions to party member development.

While I prefer P3P I think that the lack of an actual world and character models is a large setback, I can see why others prefer FES because of that. People also tend to like the version they played first.

Essentially, yes. There's also The Answer, but that gets a bit dour about halfway through and it doesn't really add much to the story IMO.

I still think P3FES is the best choice for a first playthrough, because the in-game engine cutscenes and the environments you can walk around help with immersion and storytelling. P3P is great for a second playthrough because it allows you to shortcut all the walking around you've already done once, and because it has a better MC and significant additions to party member development.

The thing is though, is that P3P has immersion and storytelling too, and is essentially the same game. It just comes at it through a different angle.

The Blu-ray, DVD set, and live CD set for PERSONA SUPER LIVE 2015 will be released on August 26, 2015, according to the latest issue of Persona Magazine. Pre-order bonuses for the Blu-ray or DVD set include a backstage video, as well as the announcement video for Persona 5 at the event. The Blu-ray comes out to about 6,000 JPY ($48 USD), the DVD set comes out to 5,000 JPY ($40 USD), and the live CD set comes out to about 2,900 JPY ($23 USD).

Nice, will probably get the CD.

Not sure if that image counts as a scan though, you might want to remove it.

The thing is though, is that P3P has immersion and storytelling too, and is essentially the same game. It just comes at it through a different angle.

Yeah. I guess some people just don't get immersed by the more visual novel like approach.
It's a shame that some of the comedy that character models give (i.e. Operation Beach Hunt) gets lost though. Both have downsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom