• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

84X

Banned
I think it'll be 2017 or 18. I think they like their whole "setting it a bit in the future thing, and they know it's coming out in 2016 at this point.

That would require mapping the game's events to a different calendar than the one seen in the trailers which would potentially amount to a lot of unneeded work.

Assuming the dates seen aren't fabricated which is pretty unlikely to me.

Lunar15

That would require mapping the game's events to a different calendar than the one seen in the trailers which would potentially amount to a lot of unneeded work.

Assuming the dates seen aren't fabricated which is pretty unlikely to me.

Totally forgot about that. 2016 it is, I guess!

FluxWaveZ

Persona 5 on the 2016 list during the Dengeki PlayStation Premium Event PS4 Winter stream.
YoTr5Qi.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I'm starting to feel very nervous about the PS3 version.

Kinda confused why that image would make you think that. It was from a stream focused around the PS4, and It's Japan: there is absolutely no way that the PS3 version would be cancelled there.

Though the PS4 version will likely sell more than the PS3 version in Japan at the time Persona 5 comes out, the amount it will sell on the PS3 is not negligible enough for them to just throw it away for no reason. The difference will be particularly significant in the West, but cancelling that version after all this time would likely be more trouble than not. Media won't focus much on that version, though, since the PS4 will be the superior one and since its sales will eclipse the PS3 version (again, in the West).

cj_iwakura

Kinda confused why that image would make you think that. It was from a stream focused around the PS4, and It's Japan: there is absolutely no way that the PS3 version would be cancelled there.

Though the PS4 version will likely sell more than the PS3 version in Japan at the time Persona 5 comes out, the amount it will sell on the PS3 is not negligible enough for them to just throw it away for no reason. The difference will be particularly significant in the West, but cancelling that version after all this time would likely be more trouble than not. Media won't focus much on that version, though, since the PS4 will be the superior one and since its sales will eclipse the PS3 version (again, in the West).

Nothing to do with that image, just the way things are going in general. Harmonix pushing out the PS4 version of Amplitude first, Atlus not localizing Yakuza 0 for the PS3, etc.

FluxWaveZ

Nothing to do with that image, just the way things are going in general. Harmonix pushing out the PS4 version of Amplitude first, Atlus not localizing Yakuza 0 for the PS3, etc.

Nah, there's no way they would do anything to the PS3 version at this point... well, it's a certainty in Japan. I could almost see the PS3 verison only being a PSN release in North America/Europe.

Yakuza is all on SEGA, with the exception of Hardin doing the marketing for it, like he has been doing for a lot of SEGA games.

cj_iwakura

Nah, there's no way they would do anything to the PS3 version at this point... well, it's a certainty in Japan. I could almost see the PS3 verison only being a PSN release in North America/Europe.

I guess it's better than nothing, but that'd still be pretty damn irritating.

Dantis

So last night I was thinking about how the thief outfits might tie into the characters, and their starting points for their character art. (SPECULATION GO!)

The protagonist's design is obviously drawn largely from 1800s European fashion, whilst the mask is theatrical. The shirt pattern is almost like a spiderweb and the length of his coat gives him a slithering sillhouette not unlike the protagonists from Assassin's Creed.
He's meant to evoke a pantomime villain and a criminal mastermind. To me it says that he's probably intelligent, meticulous and extravagant.
Obviously, that doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Watching the trailers reveals pretty much all of that, but it's interesting to think how the design shows it (To me, at least!).

On the other hand, approaching Ryuji's design from the same perspective is interesting, as his outfit is much more modern. The main outfit (along with the shotgun) would be much more likely found in a simple robbery than a complex plan. My guess is that he's not so smart, and will be much more the right hand man to the protagonist. The outfit is also armored, with plating all along his back, his mask and on his elbows and knees. I guess Ryuji will be the team's staple 'tough guy'. The other things to note are the belts and the neckerchief, which remind me of your Lone Ranger cowboy style character (Also note the similarity in the face mask there). I think he's going to see himself as someone who is better off alone.

As far as Ann's design goes, the immediate thing to note is that it's a catsuit. I think everyone's first thought was the typical cat burglar theme, but now my thought process is that it symbolises grace and athleticism. Back in February(?) I was saying that I wondered if an aspect of her character was dancing, and this would actually tie into that (PV3 spoiler:
Though I've just realised that it literally might be an athletic endevour, which would tie in with the volleyball boss fight
). I also have a feeling that the sexualisation of the outfit will mean something, though I'm not actually sure what.

I haven't actually seen a good enough picture of Yusuke's design to speculate upon it, and don't seem to be able to find one.

So yeah.

FluxWaveZ

There's a PV03 spoiler in your analysis, Dantis.

After Hashino said that their costumes explicitly represent their personalities, I can see a lot of that being right. There's also the obvious sex appeal from Ann's costume.

From a pure superficial perspective as members of a Caper—and using TV Tropes for reference—I'd say:

• P5 MC - The Mastermind
  • Ryuji - The Muscle
  • Ann - The Femme Fatale
  • Yusuke - The Burglar (?)
  • Morgana - The Driver/The Legendary Thief

FluxWaveZ

The Persona Super Live 2015 key visual was revealed a year ago today.

mvEVIWW.jpg

That along with the title "Night of the Phantom" were pretty much the first real hints regarding Persona 5's aesthetic, but no one caught on.

DNAbro

The Persona Super Live 2015 key visual was revealed a year ago today.

mvEVIWW.jpg

That along with the title "Night of the Phantom" were pretty much the first real hints regarding Persona 5's aesthetic, but no one caught on.

I remember saying that it might have something to do with the game and that masks might be important.(at least i'm pretty sure i said this) I think someone here said that masks are just a motif for persona though :p

PK Gaming

So last night I was thinking about how the thief outfits might tie into the characters, and their starting points for their character art. (SPECULATION GO!)

The protagonist's design is obviously drawn largely from 1800s European fashion, whilst the mask is theatrical. The shirt pattern is almost like a spiderweb and the length of his coat gives him a slithering sillhouette not unlike the protagonists from Assassin's Creed.
He's meant to evoke a pantomime villain and a criminal mastermind. To me it says that he's probably intelligent, meticulous and extravagant.
Obviously, that doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Watching the trailers reveals pretty much all of that, but it's interesting to think how the design shows it (To me, at least!).

On the other hand, approaching Ryuji's design from the same perspective is interesting, as his outfit is much more modern. The main outfit (along with the shotgun) would be much more likely found in a simple robbery than a complex plan. My guess is that he's not so smart, and will be much more the right hand man to the protagonist. The outfit is also armored, with plating all along his back, his mask and on his elbows and knees. I guess Ryuji will be the team's staple 'tough guy'. The other things to note are the belts and the neckerchief, which remind me of your Lone Ranger cowboy style character (Also note the similarity in the face mask there). I think he's going to see himself as someone who is better off alone.

As far as Ann's design goes, the immediate thing to note is that it's a catsuit. I think everyone's first thought was the typical cat burglar theme, but now my thought process is that it symbolises grace and athleticism. Back in February(?) I was saying that I wondered if an aspect of her character was dancing, and this would actually tie into that (PV3 spoiler:
Though I've just realised that it literally might be an athletic endevour, which would tie in with the volleyball boss fight
). I also have a feeling that the sexualisation of the outfit will mean something, though I'm not actually sure what.

I haven't actually seen a good enough picture of Yusuke's design to speculate upon it, and don't seem to be able to find one.

So yeah.

I jokingly brought up Ann having a bad leg, but I think that might actually be the case if she ends up being a dancer. The P5 protagonists are restrained back by something, and hers could be that her bad (injury perhaps) that prevents her from being a professional dancer.

NISA just released a wii game, even if it did come with a free wii u game :p. Assuming they're the EU publishers, I'm not too worried, as long as NA gets the PS3 version, I'm sure we will too.

So, I was reading Mitsuru's page on megami tensei wikia and it says she is also known as "Other Girl". Where the hell did this come from? Nonsense or is there some lore I am missing?

FluxWaveZ

So, I was reading Mitsuru's page on megami tensei wikia and it says she is also known as "Other Girl". Where the hell did this come from? Nonsense or is there some lore I am missing?

Mitsuru is referred to by the in-game text as "Other Girl" when she has her first line of dialog in the story.

FluxWaveZ

The various angles of Shibuya.

There've been pictures recently of Persona 5 VA Jun Fukuyama posing with a poster after recording sessions. For some reason, I thought a lot of that for the VA would have been kinda wrapped up already, but I probably underestimated the circumstances of the delays. Or it's voice work for something P5 related that isn't the game.

I forgot to say in relation to the P5 Caper tropes: It'd be cool to have a different way to tackle a heist depending on your team composition. The difference between characters often just comes down to the battle themselves, so it'd be cool to see P5 expand upon party choice with different members having different exploration related abilities in a dungeon, which you could plan out in the cafe.

Mediking

I'm also looking forward to the scene where the Persona 5 MC activates their Persona for the 1st time and says, "Persona". I hope he screams it really angrily. Lol

DNAbro

I'm also looking forward to the scene where the Persona 5 MC activates their Persona for the 1st time and says, "Persona". I hope he screams it really angrily. Lol

We've pretty much seen the awakening scene. At least what looks like the awakening scene.

84X

Banned
Yeah, multiple times. If the P5MC is doing any type of screaming during it, it's probably
a scream of intense pain.

Not really sure what gives you that impression. Besides Thanatos of course, both P3 and P4's awakenings seemed euphoric in nature.

Doesn't appear like he screams at all though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not really sure what gives you that impression. Besides Thanatos of course, both P3 and P4's awakenings seemed euphoric in nature.

Doesn't appear like he screams at all though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, it appears like the awakening to a Persona in P5 involves ripping a mask off one's own face...

Top Bottom