• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

vowO5xb.jpg

If you take Lupin as an inspiration (which it's only one), a big focus of the series is the international aspect of exploring the world whether it's monuments, treasures, etc.

That too.

Zolo

that P4G sample is brutal. Can't see how anyone prefers it to the dub to be honest.

P5's Igor is so much better IMHO, holy shit.

It's more that they're completely different takes.

P4 is eccentric, nice old man.
P5 is 'We need someone who sounds as baritone and menacing as possible'.

Igor was always creepy as fuck, sitting there judging you with that bulging eye and condescending sneer. Talking to spirits and hanging out with the creepiest of creepy hanger ons. I don't know what Igor ya'll are talking about being all cuddly and friendly. LOL.

Setsu00

Igor was always creepy as fuck, sitting there judging you with that bulging eye and condescending sneer. Talking to spirits and hanging out with the creepiest of creepy hanger ons. I don't know what Igor ya'll are talking about being all cuddly and friendly. LOL.

I never got the impression that Igor was judging me.

Sophia

that P4G sample is brutal. Can't see how anyone prefers it to the dub to be honest.

P5's Igor is so much better IMHO, holy shit.

Isamu Tanonaka was well liked as Igor, and he was a pretty prolific voice actor to begin with.

Masane Tsukayama, the new actor, is an interesting choice. He's the dub voice for a lot of western actors (including Kevin Costner and Robert De Niro), and I've known him to do villains and other ambiguous roles before. He's also a narrator too. Very curious to see his full performance, and if the English version will follow suit with a similar actor or keep Dan Woren.

When you consider Igor's namesake, it's arguably part of the role to NOT judge people. =P

Then again, when you consider that said namesake is an assistant to a villain, it might not apply to Persona's Igor exactly... >_>;

I get the feeling Dan Woren wont be back, nothing to do with the Ultimax replacement, but I get the feeling theyre going to see this Igor as a 'new' character, so therefore, new voice.

Patrick Seitz is my guess.

Especially not condescending. Probing, maybe?

I feel like this is coming from a post P1+P2 perspective. I always felt like Igor was the awful of the Velvet Room compared to Philemon's frank and open challenge to accept your other selves.

The jibbering of the DevilPhone...
The eerie presence and nature of his pets and co-workers...
Igor was a unknowable entity who definitely represented the Other.
Hell, it felt MORE reinforced in P3 and P4 given how the attendants were the most cordial with you while he pretty much just laid the cards and summoned while barely having much conversation with you at all...

*shiver*

Zolo

Maybe it was because of Igor's voice actor, but I've never gotten the impression of him other than him being helpful and cordial as well.
Even in Persona 2, I think he helped Ulala out with her curse. If anything, it's Philemon who players may feel is more of a jackass at the end of Innocent Sin.
That said, he does feel more professional than his assistants as far as wanting to keep a distant role and only interfering and helping as much as he needs to.

Also feel like posting this video while we're on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8nKZFp2S5Q

Strimei

In regards to Igor, he always felt a little sinister to me, but not in like a bad way, if that makes sense.

More in the "I'm so glad this guy's on my side...I think. He is on my side, right?" sense. Which I think is perfect for some sort of otherworldly being like him. Like, I do feel welcome by him but there's just an edge of something being off.

Davilmar

Maybe it was because of Igor's voice actor, but I've never gotten the impression of him other than him being helpful and cordial as well.
Even in Persona 2, I think he helped Ulala out with her curse. If anything, it's Philemon who players may feel is more of a jackass at the end of Innocent Sin.
That said, he does feel more professional than his assistants as far as wanting to keep a distant role and only interfering and helping as much as he needs to.

Also feel like posting this video while we're on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8nKZFp2S5Q

The P4 anime is a gem in itself. Igor's face is basically saying, "Woman, you are so fired when we have our next guest."

asagami_

Banned
I feel like this is coming from a post P1+P2 perspective. I always felt like Igor was the awful of the Velvet Room compared to Philemon's frank and open challenge to accept your other selves.

The jibbering of the DevilPhone...
The eerie presence and nature of his pets and co-workers...
Igor was a unknowable entity who definitely represented the Other.
Hell, it felt MORE reinforced in P3 and P4 given how the attendants were the most cordial with you while he pretty much just laid the cards and summoned while barely having much conversation with you at all...

*shiver*

Holy crap, Igor is (Twin Peaks spoilers)
the Man from the another place for Persona.

I already know Persona inspired a lot from the series, but now it's clear what role Igor plays.

Doppelganger!

Saw this on Twitter, Persona 5's original concept was going to be backpacking around the world, but it seems the 2011 earthquake changed Hashino's line of thought.

I much prefer the current theme because I might be able to relate to it, being someone who has issues with society. Although, a "journey of self discovery" does sound nice, and I hope they use that for a future game

Also, I actually see Igor as a helpful character. I never saw him as menacing, although it was a little weird when i first saw him in P3. I first felt very cautious about the MC talking to a character like Igor but then he warmed up to me after several visits. Also, I do like his dialogue in Winter of Rebirth

FluxWaveZ

Oh wow, I think what I circled here is a black woman in the latest Persona 5 short clip:
NPC or not, I don't think the Persona series has ever had any black woman (including Ixquic—who I'm pretty sure is not actually Egyptian—or tan skinned Japanese girls like Yuko).

That's interesting. Influencing factors could include Miss Universe Japan 2015 or the ideas Hashino had before about the game taking place outside of Japan. Hell, I think the black bodyguards in the game are the first black men, too, outside of the modified Mark.

FluxWaveZ

Dunno about the localisation thing. Looks pretty black to me though.

In Japanese media, those with that skin complexion (and, oftentimes, an afro) are 99% of the time seemingly meant to represent those from the Japanese countryside, and the same goes for Funky Student (unless, again, he's just tanned like Yuko). Think Lotta Hart from Ace Attorney or this teacher from Persona 3:

1EAI7Cj.png

PK Gaming

Oh wow, I think what I circled here is a black woman in the latest Persona 5 short clip:

NPC or not, I don't think the Persona series has ever had any black woman (including Ixquic—who I'm pretty sure is not actually Egyptian—or tan skinned Japanese girls like Yuko).

That's interesting. Influencing factors could include Miss Universe Japan 2015 or the ideas Hashino had before about the game taking place outside of Japan. Hell, I think the black bodyguards in the game are the first black men, too, outside of the modified Mark.

Yeah I've counted like, 3 seperate black NPCs already and it's puuuuuretty cool. They're drawn in a way that makes them look like normal people too, which seems like a novel concept in anime games.

*cough maybe DanganRonpa could learn from this COUGH*

Nobody ever remembers Funky Student ;_;

Rean, please

2285968-funky.jpg

barybll

Banned
Yeah I've counted like, 3 seperate black NPCs already and it's puuuuuretty cool. They're drawn in a way that makes them look like normal people too, which seems like a novel concept in anime games.

*cough maybe DanganRonpa could learn from this COUGH*

I really don't remember a black character in DR.

Unless you mean Hagakure or Sakura, which are technically a tanned japanese case

PK Gaming

FluxWaveZ

Starting from the top we have:

She is
also transgender on top of that, so it's a neat case of a surprisingly progressive character that nobody is really aware of

Oh that's right! I should have totally remembered her; she actually has a pretty distinct personality.

That P3 character counts, I suppose. I don't think I thought of that before you pointed it out.

That P2 bouncer is a hell of an obscure pick. I do remember that design now, though.

Haven't posted here in a good while, so howdy ya'll!

So what's everyone's plans for P5? I'm putting in for a week off to play through. What about you guys?

Spoil my ass off when it comes out in JP, like I do for damn near everything, then get hyped for the NA release all over again.

When that comes, play it as dilligently as coursework will allow.

bluethree

Haven't posted here in a good while, so howdy ya'll!

So what's everyone's plans for P5? I'm putting in for a week off to play through. What about you guys?

Buying a copy day one and then playing it as much as possible on the three day weekend (in Japan) that follows it.

It'll be the first major JRPG I've played in Japanese for years, so I'm also going through some other JP language games for practice until then.

Top Bottom