• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lusankya

Famitsu gave P5 39/40.

Which I think is the highest any Atlus game has gotten from them.

They also say that it took them 80 hours to complete

What were the scores of the other Persona games (not that it really matters).

Anyways a high score is always good, even if it's just Famitsu.

80 hours is longer than any of my P3/4 playthroughs, but I'm normally faster than the given times anyway.

What were the scores of the other Persona games (not that it really matters).

Anyways a high score is always good, even if it's just Famitsu.

P4G was 35/40, I think that's the previous highest. SMT IV was 37 for non-Persona games.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I mean....the game still has 5 months to come out over here. We'll probably see more starting at any events in November or December. At the least, I think they want to distance themselves a bit from the Japanese release date. In truth, there probably hasn't been much voice work done yet even if casting is mostly done.

That, and they are currently marketing for SMTIVA, which comes out in two weeks.

_Ryo_

~80 Hours pretty much confirms my theory that the game isn't really any longer than 3 or 4, just has more stuff going on in it. No qualms with that here.

It doesn't really confirm that at all, I don't think. It just means they likely just didn't do a lot of the side content at all.

Lunar15

It doesn't really confirm that at all, I don't think. It just means they likely just didn't do a lot of the side content at all.

Right, which if you add that stuff in, I'd say you probably get closer to the ~90 hours I saw a lot of people hitting for full completion of P4. If Famitsu had said around 90 or 100 hours, then I'd probably have assumed that the game is much, much longer than P4.

_Ryo_

Right, which if you add that stuff in, I'd say you probably get closer to the ~90 hours I saw a lot of people hitting for full completion of P4. If Famitsu had said around 90 or 100 hours, then I'd probably have assumed that the game is much, much longer than P4.

You're probably right but I never skip text or anything and p4 took me 93 hours to complete I think. Also I didn't do hardly any of the social links. I didn't even finish the main characters. haha.

Well, there's also
Mementos, which is speculated to be like an infinite dungeon, yeah? so theoretically the game can never end. Unless there is a system like in Persona 3 where you can get tired and have to quit for the time being.

If you listen to the 8-4 podcast this week they had a brief talk about Persona 3 and 4 and what they said really rings true: the games' walking-around-the-world segments are really designed 100% to reflect what living in Japan is just like. Persona 4 in particular absolutely captures the sensation of living in a sleepy old inaka town. Hell, I actually think my place might have been a little bigger than Inaba because we had:

a) A castle
b) TWO shopping districts
c) multiple train stations within the town.

I'll link a few pictures in text because it's a bit off-topic but I do want to show what the place where I lived kind of was like.

View from one of the schools where I worked
One of my classrooms
The Fog Descends
My other school
View from my apartment

Can't explain it but this is exactly why I like the honorifics, maybe if I actually lived there they'd annoy me though. xD.

Jintor

the thing is, 'honorifics' already exist in english, just not as things you tack on to the end of names. It's just to do with the register of tones you say when you speak to someone. You watch your words when you talk to a superior or equal and you speak casually when chatting with your mates. It's different in Japanese because of the explicit need to stratify one's own position in regards to conversational partners at all times, which exists less-so in English. So importing it into English just irritates, whereas in Japanese I kinda just gloss over it.

Lunar15

the thing is, 'honorifics' already exist in english, just not as things you tack on to the end of names. It's just to do with the register of tones you say when you speak to someone. You watch your words when you talk to a superior or equal and you speak casually when chatting with your mates. It's different in Japanese because of the explicit need to stratify one's own position in regards to conversational partners at all times, which exists less-so in English. So importing it into English just irritates, whereas in Japanese I kinda just gloss over it.

Given how straight up japanese 3 and 4 were, I thought it was somewhat interesting to have the honorifics. Then I played TMS:FE and realized how much you really, really don't need the honorifics.

_Ryo_

But the thing is I don't think of them as speaking English in Persona, they're speaking Japanese, and they're in Japan and and they're living as Japanese culturally but it's that the actual text and audio is coming out as English. Think of it as an imperfect Translation Circuit of the TARDIS from doctor who.

Like I said, I can't really explain it. I would still definitely play Persona if they removed the honorifics but I'd just prefer them, I 'unno, man. I can't articulate very well. :X

But the thing is I don't think of them as speaking English in Persona, they're speaking Japanese, and they're in Japan and and they're living as Japanese culturally but it's that the actual text and audio is coming out as English. Think of it as an imperfect Translation Circuit of the TARDIS from doctor who.

Like I said, I can't really explain it. I would still definitely play Persona if they removed the honorifics but I'd just prefer them, I 'unno, man. I can't articulate very well. :X

It's part of the feel, no?

What you're saying makes no sense, but I want them to keep the honorifics for the sake of continuity.

That too.

Setsu00

What you're saying makes no sense, but I want them to keep the honorifics for the sake of continuity.

Jintor

It's probably supposed to reflect a personality quirk or something but hearing Yu give Adachi the -san suffix really bugs me

_Ryo_

It's part of the feel, no?

That too.

I know it makes no sense. X_X. I guess to sum it all up:

something, something, continuity, something, immersion. :p

Anyway, I expect the (gameplay spoiler)
Crossword Puzzles
to take up a lot of my playtime, as I'll want to finish them perfectly but I absolutely suck at them as well. hehe.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I know it makes no sense. X_X. I guess to sum it all up:

It does make a little bit of sense.

Remember in the localization in P4 Rise is complaining about learning ENGLISH and just wants to hire a translator while being said IN English.

Jintor

I feel like every time that kind of thing happens they should say it's english but the actual language they're trying to speak is Japanese, or something

Zolo

It does make a little bit of sense.

Remember in the localization in P4 Rise is complaining about learning ENGLISH and just wants to hire a translator while being said IN English.

Also a similar case for Lisa in P2. In her case, there really isn't an alternative way to get around it since the entire thing revolves around people assuming she must know English because she's white. I would think most people are aware enough to realize that in a Japanese setting, the characters are actually speaking Japanese while the dialogue and translations is for the benefit of understanding the story.

Jintor

the translation circuit is a 60s budget tv sci fi solution to a complex multifaceted problem

But what I mean is:

Original: Japanese-speaking people complaining about learning English
Translation: English-speaking people complaining about learning English BUT when they speak the "Learning English" they just end up speaking French and nobody ever acknowledges they are speaking French, they just refer to it as English.

I believe Assassin's Creed 2 used a similar excuse, right down to it being "broken" so that characters still use random Italian.

Which is probably the closest analogue to Persona's honourifics.

Jintor

Whelp p3 side P4Ultimax was just as eh (given the events didn't change I guess that was to be expected) but the epilogues were much better, possibly because the P3 crew is a bit older or perhaps just because their situations are more interesting than the P4 crew who are mostly still stuck in Inaba (besides Rise and Naoto)

Unfortunately I can't say I like the way the game controls much to continue mucking around with it. A pity

Whelp p3 side P4Ultimax was just as eh (given the events didn't change I guess that was to be expected) but the epilogues were much better, possibly because the P3 crew is a bit older or perhaps just because their situations are more interesting than the P4 crew who are mostly still stuck in Inaba (besides Rise and Naoto)

Unfortunately I can't say I like the way the game controls much to continue mucking around with it. A pity

Did you do the DLC episode? Cause imo, that's the best one.

Jintor

does each DLC char have their own ep?

legit was moved by labrys' epilogue and to a lesser extent Aigis' - WOAH TRUE ENDING WAT well this will be worthless

Zolo

As far as the ending path goes, I think I may have liked the P3 path better there since I felt Labrys had better interactions and chemistry with Sho than the other characters along with it being better for her arc than Yu on the P4 path.

my god damn anki flashcard deck is gonna fill up like woah
I'll be using Akebi on Android, but yeah. I'll try to avoid putting literally every single word. I should probably look up a list of theft-related vocabulary somewhere. I'm pretty sure there will be many of those kind of words.

80 hours seems to be in line with P3/4, I was a bit worried that having to build from the ground up and work with a level of detail that is unprecedented for them might force them to scale back the size a bit. Glad that doesn't seem to be the case.

Vic_Viper

hmm. there's this youtuber named satly yen that does videos of Japanese games while providing an audio translation... I wonder if he'll play Persona 5. Could really help out a lot of importers that want to understand the story.

Edit: as an example here is the first episode of Yakuza 0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1z6vjtxhI

I hope he does! Thanks for the link btw, I hadnt heard of this guy before but the Yakuza 0 video made me actually kinda interested in checking this one out. Havent played any of the ps3 Yakuza games. His translation job is pretty cool. Much better than some of the other guys ive seen do this.

Seriously wish they had waited on releasing P5 in Japan until the US version was ready. This is Dark Souls 3 all over again but with alot longer wait in between. Going to have a hard time not spoiling the game for myself.

hmm. there's this youtuber named satly yen that does videos of Japanese games while providing an audio translation... I wonder if he'll play Persona 5. Could really help out a lot of importers that want to understand the story.

Edit: as an example here is the first episode of Yakuza 0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1z6vjtxhI

Oh hey, it's the 100 yen gamer. I was familiar with his Japanese channel but didn't know he had one for English.

Persona 5 would probably be a bit too much for him, I think. Lots of dialogue in an 80 hour game would destroy the poor man

Wazzy

Banned
After finally completing Persona Q and SMT IV I'm now going to start Persona 2 IS and EP. I'm a huge P3 and P4 fan and understand these will be a little different but from what I've started in IS I'm enjoying it. Is there any recommendations on these two? I turned animations off due to the encounter rate being a little high. I'm also supposed to play IS first, right?

After finally completing Persona Q and SMT IV I'm now going to start Persona 2 IS and EP. I'm a huge P3 and P4 fan and understand these will be a little different but from what I've started in IS I'm enjoying it. Is there any recommendations on these two? I turned animations off due to the encounter rate being a little high. I'm also supposed to play IS first, right?
PK Gaming has made this helpful post about it. And yeah, IS and then EP.

I regard the P2 duology just as highly as P3/4. You're in for a great ride.

39 is nice, though I'm not convinced that it means, well, anything. Famitsu's scores are super weird.

When a game like Umbrella Corps gets a 36/40, Nintendogs gets a 40/40, Resident Evil 6 gets a 39/40, Demon's Souls gets a 29 and yet Dark Souls gets a 37........

Famitsu scores are kinda worthless.

Top Bottom