• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

You may feel like a sucker now, but once you get through Labrys' story it'll all be worth it.

I consider it a high point in the series, it's just so well done, and her VA delivers her lines perfectly.

I dunno if that hour and a half that is Labby's story really makes up for the 25 hour dreck that is the rest of P4A's story mode. Maybe it does if one isn't sick of the game by the third or fourth character.

I dunno if that hour and a half that is Labby's story really makes up for the 25 hour dreck that is the rest of P4A's story mode. Maybe it does if one isn't sick of the game by the third or fourth character.

I think it really does - the rest of the stories are mainly filler, Labrys' is the main canon story in the game, along with Yu's and Elizabeth's.

It's easily the stand out story in the Arena saga.

Sophia

Including Labrys, Most of the P3 side stories in both Arena and Ultimax are actually pretty good. It's the P4 sides that really drag the story down. Writing team just didn't seem like they knew what they wanted to do there.

CorvoSol

Including Labrys, Most of the P3 side stories in both Arena and Ultimax are actually pretty good. It's the P4 sides that really drag the story down. Writing team just didn't seem like they knew what they wanted to do there.

P4 had some okay stuff like Rise's new Persona.

It was just the climax of the story that really soured me.

I've been slowly working my way through the Persona 4 Arena story mode. I don't really want to master a new fighting game but I do want more of the story. I will probably end up buying all of these spin-off games, even the dancing one. I feel like I'm being a sucker but I still will end up doing it.

I'm doing the same thing!

Except I already bought them except for p4u.

You may feel like a sucker now, but once you get through Labrys' story it'll all be worth it.

I consider it a high point in the series, it's just so well done, and her VA delivers her lines perfectly.

I hated her VA at first since it seemed so out of place, but after I went through her story it was all, "ah, that makes sense now."

Do the p3 characters stories spoil the ending of p3? Haven't played it yet and would prefer not to be spoiled.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
C88 starts today and it appears to be the only place to buy the P4DAN vinyl. Please tell me there will be another pressing or opportunity to buy it. I've been waiting forever for Persona music on vinyl. 😢

Setsu00

I've said this before, but the story for Ultimax had so much potential, especially with all the teasing they've done in Arena.

I hated her VA at first since it seemed so out of place, but after I went through her story it was all, "ah, that makes sense now."

Do the p3 characters stories spoil the ending of p3? Haven't played it yet and would prefer not to be spoiled.

Arena gives away the ending for P3, if I remember correctly.

FluxWaveZ

Never forget.
p8R8mJt.png
Relive the magic on December 5th, 2015.

They were going for an accent that seemed local but out-of-place to match how she speaks in a Kansai dialect in Japanese.

I'd say they hit the nail on the head with their choice.

PQ SPOILERS:
Also, does anyone else think that Rei from Persona Q could be Labrys' plume of dusk source, aka 'Mother'? Or am the only one making that connection?

In Ultimax? Yes.

They make many references to a villain from P3 and the events of its ending, as well as multiple plot twists.

Don't play Ultimax until you play P3.

Setsu00

They were going for an accent that seemed local but out-of-place to match how she speaks in a Kansai dialect in Japanese.

Also, does anyone else think that Rei from Persona Q could be Labrys' plume of dusk source, aka 'Mother'? Or am the only one making that connection?

You're not alone with that theory.
However, Rei (or rather Niko) doesn't share Labrys's verbal tic in neither the Japanese nor the English version. Considering that Labrys's personality is apparently a direct copy of her mother's personality, that doesn't seem to likely to me. I think it's worth mentioning though that Rei's concept art is pretty much a human Metis, which suggests that Rei was at least at some point during development meant to be the girl Aigis meets in the drama CDs.

However, Rei (or rather Niko) doesn't share Labrys's verbal tic in neither the Japanese nor the English version. Considering that Labrys's personality is apparently a direct copy of her mother's personality, that doesn't seem to likely to me. I think it's worth mentioning though that Rei's concept art is pretty much a human Metis, which suggests that Rei was at least at some point during development meant to be the girl Aigis meets in the drama CDs.

Thing is, they may have changed to her blonde because of Labrys. Arena, Ultimax and Q shared quite a bit of development time, and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to connect the stories together.

Also, regarding the verbal tick, I found this interesting tidbit:

Since Niko was around 14-16 years old when she died, but the girl in Labrys’ recording was “still in the development stages” as Labrys said (so between 5-12-years), it makes sense that Rei doesn’t have a Kansai-accent; there is a thing called “Critical Language Period” (Or just “Critical Period”), during which, if the language spoken in your environment changes, you *will* end up completly replacing your old language system with that new one. That’s a scientifically proven fact. Note how in the scene we saw in Labrys’ memory in P4U, only the little girl herself spoke in a Kansai/Brooklyn dialect; the nurses all spoke in the same Tokyo-Chuubu-ben that everyone else in P4 (thus, Inaba) speaks. Additionally, Niko being in that hospital for a long time is proven by the fact that she tells a story about getting her head shaved for a treatment, however, by the time she died, her hair was long again. So even if Niko really originally did speak Kansai-ben, she would have lost that trait by the time she died. So the emphasis on the little girl’s Kansai-ben might very well just be a red herring to keep people from guessing she might be Rei early on. It also helps that Rei and Labrys *do* have similar voices in Japanese (albeit by different voice actresses), Labrys’ voice is just a little more squeaky and high-pitched - which makes sense, since Niko was not past puberty yet when her pattern was taken, but already past it when she died.

Point is, I choose to believe. The post I found that in is located here, and makes some interesting arguments to the
Rei/Labrys Mother/Daughter theory.

Sophia

The
Rei/Labrys
theory has been around since Persona Q basically came out in Japan. I feel like the theory would have more merit of the game gave a few more nods to it.

Now the idea that
Rei could be one of the many girls who was used as the basis for Aigis is one I can get behind. She's probably not the same girl who appeared in Daylight/Moonlight and was the basis for Metis tho.

It's worth mentioning that, in Arena's story,
the other 5th generation units did not have the accent despite being based off the same girl. Labrys having the accent is treated as some sort of oddity even by the researchers and her fellow units.

If you look at the roster for Persona 4 Arena, Persona 3 is spoiled. If you look at the roster for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Persona 4 is spoiled. These games are direct sequels and they make no qualms about it.

Arena's story mode pretty much spoils everything for Persona 3 right from the get go. The story modes for Aigis and Mitsuru even have cliff-note versions of the P3 storyline. The one plot point they don't spoil is immediately spoiled at the start of Ultimax's P3 story. So yeah....

Yay, I finally got my new Soejima artbook.
Of course most of this stuff is online too but it's such an inspiration boost to just browse this physically.

I completely forgot abut this, i need to pick it up one day

Oh hell YES it was for me. And Ultimax too, in fact. I greatly enjoyed Ultimax (mainly P3 side though), and i replay Ultimax time to time (and a select few Arena character's storylines)

Please put a label on the quote to show WHAT you're spoilng. I have not beat PQ yet, and i didn't expect PQ to be in that spoiler tag considering you were just talking about Labrys

Arena's story mode pretty much spoils everything for Persona 3 right from the get go. The story modes for Aigis and Mitsuru even have cliff-note versions of the P3 storyline. The one plot point they don't spoil is immediately spoiled at the start of Ultimax's P3 story. So yeah....

well, damn. wasn't planning on playing p3 until after i played all the p4 games.

guess that's changing.

Sophia

Please put a label on the quote to show WHAT you're spoilng. I have not beat PQ yet, and i didn't expect PQ to be in that spoiler tag considering you were just talking about Labrys

Yes, please spoiler tag your posts correctly. If it's not immediately obvious (or worse, misleading in this case) what game you're spoiling under spoiler tags, you're doing it wrong. Nobody could be expected to know there were spoiler tags for Persona Q under there, and it's disingenuous and dishonest not to mark them properly.

well, damn. wasn't planning on playing p3 until after i played all the p4 games.

guess that's changing.

You definitely want to play Persona 3 before playing Arena/Ultimax. Virtually everything is spoiled at one point or another.

Thing is, they may have changed to her blonde because of Labrys. Arena, Ultimax and Q shared quite a bit of development time, and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to connect the stories together.

Also, regarding the verbal tick, I found this interesting tidbit:

Point is, I choose to believe. The post I found that in is located here, and makes some interesting arguments to the
Rei/Labrys Mother/Daughter theory.

I'm with you on this one. If nothing else, it helps justify Q's existence.

Yes, please spoiler tag your posts correctly. If it's not immediately obvious (or worse, misleading in this case) what game you're spoiling under spoiler tags, you're doing it wrong. Nobody could be expected to know there were spoiler tags for Persona Q under there, and it's disingenuous and dishonest not to mark them properly.

I'm very sorry - I didn't really think of doing that, I figured the spoiler tag would be enough, but you're both right.

I've fixed it now, but please be aware I did not do that out of ill will, it was just me being stupid...

Speaking of December, is anyone here going to PSX in San Francisco this year?

I just got my 2-day pass and wanted to see if anyone in this thread is going. Would be nice to meet-up and hang out.

But yeah, I kinda hope that no vendors at PSX will be selling anything. If I happen to see Atlus USA staffers that worked at AX, they already know me on sight lol.

I'm very sorry - I didn't really think of doing that, I figured the spoiler tag would be enough, but you're both right.

I've fixed it now, but please be aware I did not do that out of ill will, it was just me being stupid...

No harm done, it's not a serious spoiler for me, AND it's also something i have heard before. However it's best to take precautions so nothing more serious happens

Sophia

We know. I just have to give you crap because that's what I do. No harm done :D

Jeez. Yu's neck is almost Yosuke-level in that gif. o_o

alright, putting off arena/ultimax/q to play p3. decided on fes over portable. anything i should know before i begin, tips or whatnot?

Look to improve your Courage, Charm, and Intelligence in that order.
Don't do a girl's social link when you've still got another girl's uncompleted.
The dates with the Velvet Room attendant don't take up time. Do them or get locked out of powerful personas. (Including the ones you should get once you max a S-link).
Keep one of each gift item on hand in case you need to give it to a girl. Not giving the right thing will probably end up wasting a day.

EDIT:

P3MC has two 'canon' names. Minato Arisato (from the manga) and Makoto Yuki (from the movies).
There's also Sakuya Shiyomi, but I doubt anyone cares enough to use that...

alright, putting off arena/ultimax/q to play p3. decided on fes over portable. anything i should know before i begin, tips or whatnot?

edit: does the p3 hero have a canon name like Narukami?

edit 2: At the beginning of the game Yukari tells the MC not to tell anyone what he saw last night. How does she know what he saw or did I miss something. Or does it explain it later?

P3MC has two 'canon' names. Minato Arisato (from the manga) and Makoto Yuki (from the movies).
There's also Sakuya Shiyomi, but I doubt anyone cares enough to use that...
Same thing with p4 hero (a manga and an anime name), but Yu Narukami is used in all other media. That's basically what I was asking. No mater, though. I chose Makoto Yuki.

edit 3: Not a fan of Igor in this one.

Jachaos

edit: does the p3 hero have a canon name like Narukami?

edit 2: At the beginning of the game Yukari tells the MC not to tell anyone what he saw last night. How does she know what he saw or did I miss something. Or does it explain it later?

There's a few names that were given but it mostly comes down to Makoto Yuki (the name in the movies that have been releasing this year) or Minato Arisato (the name in the manga). There was also Sakuya Shiomi from a stage play but that's never used.

As for Yukari, she means her Evoker. I don't think she'd want rumour running around that she has a gun.

Edit: Didn't see I was beaten on the name thing by the post above yours.

Jintor

i don't really like doing fanart of upcoming games (at least re: characters which will have story stuff, unlike splatoon or something where it's literally just "STYLEEEEEEEEE")

Wait, pq doesn't have enough spaces to type in the character's canon name? What kind of crap is that?

Oh, it works fine in Japan with their syllabic and logographic writing systems.
We're stuck with the alphabet and didn't get any extra spaces.

EDIT 2: Except it turns out we did get more spaces. Just not as much as the console games.

Well, that's crap.

It's spelled "cheap". :p

edit: I think P4 takes a bit longer to get to dungeoning than P3.

I couldn't name P3 guy my usual moniker of Beyoncé Knowles in PQ without turning it into "Beyonc Knowle". Thus (P3 spoilers)
Minty Dead
was born.

Persona Q is the localizers passive aggressively getting people to come up with their own names like they were supposed to in the original releases.

Top Bottom