• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Sophia

Oh, it works fine in Japan with their syllabic and logographic writing systems.
We're stuck with the alphabet and didn't get any extra spaces.

Hold up here. Lets not be spreading incorrect information now. The Japanese version only allows three spaces for first and last name, which has been standard for Atlus games for a very long time. The English version of Persona Q was expanded to allow for six spaces each.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 were expanded from three to eight.

Hold up here. Lets not be spreading incorrect information now. The Japanese version only allows three spaces for first and last name, which has been standard for Atlus games for a very long time. The English version of Persona Q was expanded to allow for six spaces each.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 were expanded from three to eight.

Oh. Still smaller than the other RPGs, but at least changes were made to compensate. I'll get to editing now.

---

I meant as far as the Persona series goes, but it's strange to see them go back and forth on character spaces on the same system.
Maybe it's cause SMT4 gives us only one customizable name?

Sophia

Oh. Still smaller than the other RPGs, but at least changes were made to compensate. I'll get to editing now.

Given that Devil Survivor 1 (DeSu 2 as well? Never played that one) has the same name limitation of six spaces, it may simply be a screen space issue that was unsolvable in the timeframe the programmers had. All of Atlus's PS2 games as far as I know were increased from three to eight.

But yeah, since Soul Hackers at least, most MegaTen games have had three spaces for first and three spaces for last name in the Japanese version. There's a screenshot of Persona 3 Portable from the English version before they programmed in additional spaces and the female protagonist was named Tes Ter.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is the odd one out. It has eight name spaces in Japanese. Presumably because it may not support kanji name entry...?

cj_iwakura

Given that Devil Survivor 1 (DeSu 2 as well? Never played that one) has the same name limitation of six spaces, it may simply be a screen space issue that was unsolvable in the timeframe the programmers had. All of Atlus's PS2 games as far as I know were increased from three to eight.

But yeah, since Soul Hackers at least, most MegaTen games have had three spaces for first and three spaces for last name in the Japanese version. There's a screenshot of Persona 3 Portable from the English version before they programmed in additional spaces and the female protagonist was named Tes Ter.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is the odd one out. It has eight name spaces in Japanese. Presumably because it may not support kanji name entry...?

Probably because IV was made with a global release in mind thanks to Nintendo. That's my theory, anyway.

Sophia

Probably because IV was made with a global release in mind thanks to Nintendo. That's my theory, anyway.

No I don't think so. Pretty sure the older SMT games could allow for more than three characters too. I think it's just the games that have the kanji system Atlus uses for name entry are three slots.

_Ryo_

So I've only completed the Persona games from the SMT series. (3, and 4) I am kind of curious about something.

What are the main differences between Persona's, Shadows and SMT Demons?

Also why is there not a Jesus Persona? Apparently there's a demon called
"Agony" that has a visual resemblance to Jesus
and in P3
There is Takuya, which is like the anti-christ or something.
I mean, there are various devil personas

Hmm.

Persona is basically a facades that resides in oneself, right? so MC has many facades yet others only have two sides of themselves total?

Demons are just... demons

And shadows are different depending on the game.

I get a bit confused with it all. Sorry. :X

FluxWaveZ

So I've only completed the Persona games from the SMT series. (3, and 4) I am kind of curious about something.

Persona isn't SMT, it is Megaten. "Shin Megami Tensei" was added to the North American branding because SMT was presumably a stronger name back then in NA, but you'll notice they haven't been referring to recent Persona games with that prefix. Persona was never known as "SMT" in Japan.

And I'm not sure I understand your confusion based on enemy/concept types.

- Persona = Another facet of oneself made manifest.
- Shadow = The facet of oneself hidden from the public that one doesn't want others to see (made manifest).
- Demon = Demon.

Having multiple Personas can be justified in different ways depending on the game. For Persona 3 and Persona 4, it would be that the protagonists have a propensity to adjust their behaviors to match a wide swath of different situations and people, conceptually. Practically, it's that they were given the power of the "Wild Card" at the start of their respective journeys.

cj_iwakura

Persona isn't SMT, it is Megaten. "Shin Megami Tensei" was added to the North American branding because SMT was presumably a stronger name back then in NA, but you'll notice they haven't been referring to recent Persona games with that prefix. Persona was never known as "SMT" in Japan.

They still keep it on Devil Summoner, though, which I think is very appropriate.
The original had it, and they're pretty much SMT games in tone anyway. The only difference to me is that there's no apocalypse, just summoners operating in normal society.

They still keep it on Devil Summoner, though, which I think is very appropriate.
The original had it, and they're pretty much SMT games in tone anyway. The only difference to me is that there's no apocalypse, just summoners operating in normal society.

It was on Record Breaker too, it's just Persona that they've stopped doing it with.

_Ryo_

P3MC
I didn't fail to see MC resemblance to Jesus and dying to save others. Nor did I fail to see the resemblance with Messiah. BUT my problem with those arguments are that resurrection, crucifixions, and messiahs are large parts of many religions, not just the Abrahamic ones. There are personas called, Lucifer, Satan, etc. I mean, those are very specific names. They're different deities, and one is actually the literal being that some believe resides in a place called "hell" Also, there are persona for other gods such as thor and odin, and orpheus, that aren't just hinted at, they're like, literally atlus's interpretations of them. So, why isn't there one specifically called "Jesus" ?

Well he's not really a god is he, that would be like asking for a Persona of Mozes, it would also be kinda weird for some reason, I can't really say why.

P3MC
I didn't fail to see MC resemblance to Jesus and dying to save others. Nor did I fail to see the resemblance with Messiah. BUT my problem with those arguments are that resurrection, crucifixions, and messiahs are large parts of many religions, not just the Abrahamic ones.

Since all of our main Persona's are from Greece, Roman or Egyptian culture I think it's a fair thing to say that it's a reference to Jesus, not some other guy.

Alice was just a girl, so...

Alice and other characters are from tales and legends, one could say that they're just avoiding controversy by not letting you use Jesus to fight shadow monsters, I mean, someone like Mohammed also isn't playable.

Edit: There also isn't a Buddha Persona right?

_Ryo_

Well he's not really a god is he, that would be like asking for a Persona of Mozes, it would also be kinda weird for some reason, I can't really say why.

Since all of our main Persona's are from Greece, Roman or Egyptian culture I think it's a fair thing to say that it's a reference to Jesus, not some other guy.

Alice and other characters are from tales and legends, one could say that they're just avoiding controversy by not letting you use Jesus to fight shadow monsters.

Many people believe God to be "The father, the son, and the holy ghost" Jesus would be the son, I guess.

So, going by that, he'd be literally a part of a trinity which make up a literal God.

Why would Atlus,a niche Japanese company avoid controversy in having a persona specifically named Jesus? Have they not done something due to the potential controversy it would cause before? I mean, they do stuff with the occult... and well, again their SMT stuff is pretty niche, right? I doubt anyone would care. If they did they'd be protesting the games already by labeling them as satanic or something.

Edit: P3 Side note. END GAME spoilers.

I recently beat the game again. It was much easier than I remember it.
I beat nyx with surt, micheal, and satan all leveled near 80, on my first try. I only half way did the emperor, and devil social links, didn't go level up in the optional dungeon, didn't defeat the reaper, or anything. still I defeated nyx on my first try. Weird

On the other hand, I'm playing P4 again and it's much harder than I remember it. WHAT

Anyhow, having Jesus fight for you as a Persona would be silly, with guys like Thor/Beelzebup you can at least make some killer design that would look badass, what can you actually do with Jesus, just a guy with a beard? He also doesn't seem like someone who would actually fight and stuff, but I'm sure that rule is probably broken with some niche Persona that's based on a peaceful mythological creature.

I also can't remember some other mainstream J-rpg's with mythological creatures that features Jesus as a character, maybe it's just some unwritten rule, I can't blame them for having it, it's probably for the better.

Edit:
I googled a bit and found some discussion about Puzzle and Dragons, that game features mythological creatures but seems to follow the same "rules" as Persona, it's definitely not something bound to the SMT franchise.

I recently beat the game again. It was much easier than I remember it.
I beat nyx with surt, micheal, and satan all leveled near 80, on my first try. I only half way did the emperor, and devil social links, didn't go level up in the optional dungeon, didn't defeat the reaper, or anything. still I defeated nyx on my first try. Weird

Nyx
isn't that hard, just time consuming. You certainly shouldn't need to do any of the optional stuff to beat it on your first go.

CorvoSol

P3MC
I didn't fail to see MC resemblance to Jesus and dying to save others. Nor did I fail to see the resemblance with Messiah. BUT my problem with those arguments are that resurrection, crucifixions, and messiahs are large parts of many religions, not just the Abrahamic ones. There are personas called, Lucifer, Satan, etc. I mean, those are very specific names. They're different deities, and one is actually the literal being that some believe resides in a place called "hell" Also, there are persona for other gods such as thor and odin, and orpheus, that aren't just hinted at, they're like, literally atlus's interpretations of them. So, why isn't there one specifically called "Jesus" ?

Although a strong argument can be made for it being Messiah simply so that you may choose which one you believe it is, there's the fact that Nyx
brings up the consumption of the Fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil during the final battle. When you defeat Nyx and seal her power away, you are correcting that act. Much like how Jesus's mission is believed by some branches of Christianity as having been to address the consequences of the Fall.

FluxWaveZ

There's a very real possibility that Persona 5 is a November 2015 release in Japan, and that's kinda crazy to think about. I try to think back to high profile games which have had a really short release date announcement -> release turnaround, and I can't think of many.

There's a very real possibility that Persona 5 is a November 2015 release in Japan, and that's kinda crazy to think about. I try to think back to high profile games which have had a really short release date announcement -> release turnaround, and I can't think of many.

Maybe they'll Sega Saturn it and announce that it's already been released during TGS.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe they'll Sega Saturn it and announce that it's already been released during TGS.

Heh, no, that's actually incredibly unrealistic, no matter how outlandish Persona 5's publicization has been. The shortest possible turnaround would probably be for October, but that's not happening.

I was joking, the pre-order has too much power over Japan for that to happen.

Oh yeah, I know. But even in Japan, the situation that Persona 5 is potentially setting itself up for is pretty unusual already when thinking about pre-order stuff.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens.

Lunar15

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't we discuss that a lot of Atlus games tend to get their release dates 4 months until launch? If that's the case, we're still in the clear.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't we discuss that a lot of Atlus games tend to get their release dates 4 months until launch? If that's the case, we're still in the clear.

That's when people are talking about a delay, but which Atlus games (in Japan) have had their release dates announced ~2 months before release? The shortest ones that come to mind are the ~3 months for P4A and some remake (P3P?), and those don't really count (one already had an arcade release and its release date was actually pushed forward; the other was a remake).

QuadOpto

...The one and only thing I'm really wondering is if there are still any chances for them to announce a special limited edition Persona 5/PS4 Bundle.

...Since I've been holding off on getting a PS4 just in case that is still(if it was ever) possible...>_>

Although a strong argument can be made for it being Messiah simply so that you may choose which one you believe it is, there's the fact that Nyx
brings up the consumption of the Fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil during the final battle. When you defeat Nyx and seal her power away, you are correcting that act. Much like how Jesus's mission is believed by some branches of Christianity as having been to address the consequences of the Fall.

I honestly doubt it goes that far.
You're not correcting the act. That whole fruit of knowledge business is what made man fallible. The sacrifice is just holding off oblivion. It's not a solution, it's a one-man levee.

...The one and only thing I'm really wondering is if there are still any chances for them to announce a special limited edition Persona 5/PS4 Bundle.

...Since I've been holding off on getting a PS4 just in case that is still(if it was ever) possible...>_>

For Japan/Asia, maybe.

EU/NA? I wouldn't hedge any bets.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Remember that P4 bundle we got?

Neither do I!

CorvoSol

I honestly doubt it goes that far.
You're not correcting the act. That whole fruit of knowledge business is what made man fallible. The sacrifice is just holding off oblivion. It's not a solution, it's a one-man levee.

But
mankind remains capable of sin, in spite of the sacrifice of the Christ. Your correction is a thing that your followers strive for. In P3, longing for death or whatever is that sin, and people touched by MC decide to live more fully. Maybe correct it was the wrong phrase, but I think the comparison stands inasmuch as the player's sacrifice is intended to be the act which saves the race from itself and inspires the select few to kickstart the movement.

But
mankind remains capable of sin, in spite of the sacrifice of the Christ. Your correction is a thing that your followers strive for. In P3, longing for death or whatever is that sin, and people touched by MC decide to live more fully. Maybe correct it was the wrong phrase, but I think the comparison stands inasmuch as the player's sacrifice is intended to be the act which saves the race from itself and inspires the select few to kickstart the movement.

Wonder which of them gets to start the cult...

cj_iwakura

So I'm watching Midsummer Knight's Dream(it's on Netflix now), and I notice Ikutsuki has a unique tarot deck. It looks great.

Maybe P5 is getting a redesigned variant?

On August 13, 2015, ATLUS CO.,LTD. registered two new domains: http://www.atlus.tw and http://www.atlus.asia

Could this be ATLUS expanding more into Asia? .tw is for Taiwan, and .asia is for general Asian companies. Or, is this just them purchasing the domains just to do so? Either way, it's pretty interesting.

They also purchased http://www.atlus.jp earlier this year, as the site had not been used in years and they probably wanted to make sure they a .jp domain for ATLUS as well, so that's probably just purchased to prevent squatting once purchases opened earlier this year.

I know it's not exactly Persona related, but I just wanted to let everyone know. I've attached the WHOIS records below, and all three use the email ATLUS uses when registering domains for their corporate site.

atlus.jp (Registered on April 1 said:
523436af4c.png

atlus.asia (Registered on August 13 said:

atlus.tw (Registered on August 13 said:

EDIT: Forgot to edit this post earlier, but ATLUS CO.,LTD. also registered "atlus.us" as well. Like the .asia and .tw domains, the .us domain was registered on the same day; August 13, 2015.

atlus.us (Registered on August 13 said:

FluxWaveZ

I want a PersonaGAF civil war between believers and non-believers for NA 2015.

Anyone ever give theories on the specific different sounds in the first Persona 5 teaser trailer other than the bottle opening? Now that we've known a few more details about the game, I feel like it might relate to the deadly sins, if they were deciphered.

On August 13, 2015, ATLUS CO.,LTD. registered two new domains: http://www.atlus.tw and http://www.atlus.asia

Nice find. Domain registration is wonky and nebulous stuff but, eh, I can write a story about it all the same.

Sakura

I thought the original was called Megami Ibunroku Persona not SMT?

Can someone - hopefully more knowledgeable than me - point out the most likely upcoming dates for a P5 release date announcement from Atlus?

I know about TGS, but assuming it releases in 2015, when else could they announce the release date?

Can someone - hopefully more knowledgeable than me - point out the most likely upcoming dates for a P5 release date announcement from Atlus?

I know about TGS, but assuming it releases in 2015, when else could they announce the release date?

Who knows, maybe after the reaction to the P5 nothing we got at PSX last year, they'll grace us with something this year.

FluxWaveZ

The game's coming out this year in Japan, so it's either the SCEJA conference, TGS or an independent event before November.

Japan : SCEJA press conference (early Sep) or TGS (mid-Sep)
NA : Random twitter announcement/press release after Japan's release date announcement

Makio

or an independent event before November.

Holy shit if this happens , i mean almost 2 months to market a game coming in 2015... in both Japan and America.

The dream unlikely scenario is we are going to have a Final Fantasy XV scenario (worldwide release) if that happens.

Im not going to make any bets (since i dont even pay for the last one i made yet) but i can bet we are going to have the release date the next month (TGS or not) for the japanese release.

I dont believe for this game been marketing in a period shorter than 2 months.

And still believer in 2015 release dates both in Japan and America (i trust Hardin and team).

Top Bottom