• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Jintor

To be honest I'd like it if the social links were ingrained better in the main story but I never really like that you have to do them to unlock actual content, like with Marie.

It actually reminds me of games like Mass Effect or Fallout where I had to change my playstyle just so I could prioritize the Charisma perks because I didn't want to miss out on any the ability of making the decisions that I actually want to make.

The most feasible way of weaving the S-links through the story would be to have some small callbacks to a S-link here in there.
For example: You're talking with the gang during the main story and if you've ranked up Ryuji to rank 3 he'll make a small joke referencing the S-link between the normal dialougue.

This way seems pretty neat and will also be feasibly possible to implement in the game.

Anyhow, we don't even know how S-links are going to work in P5, I'm sure they'll improve it a bit as the "S-links Vs Main Story" complaint is pretty common.

agreed, the fact that s-links are almost never referenced in the main story unless it's at the most climactic moment of the game or something sucks

See, I kinda liked how the P4 crew in-story were just a gaggle of friends tracking down the villain, while their character growth was left in optional conversations you had to actively seek out. Apart from powering up your Personae, it made character development for your party members an active reward.
Yeah, that's the great part about social links, you can learn more about a character that interests you and totally ignore ones that don't.

However, character development in social links seem kind of fake because their plots exist in a vacuum, that are never referenced anywhere else in the story. This leads to odd situations like being able to have 8 girlfriends at once in P4 and nobody cares. Hopefully P5 addresses this.

Edit: Actually, I forgot that social links can be discussed through two party members if you revisit a dungeon you've previously beaten. However it's totally optional and I doubt many people who played P4 even knew it existed.

http://persona4.wikidot.com/dungeontalk

I just beat my high score on Best Friends in P4D but I dropped a few notes during fever time which kept my combo going but locked me out of a perfect clear.

I got a Brilliant. I had a King Crazy. The game downgraded my ranking.

FluxWaveZ

I just beat my high score on Best Friends in P4D but I dropped a few notes during fever time which kept my combo going but locked me out of a perfect clear.

I got a Brilliant. I had a King Crazy. The game downgraded my ranking.

This one's on you. Version 1.03 of P4D lets players override score results, so you could have disregarded that higher score if you wanted to.

This one's on you. Version 1.03 of P4D lets players override score results, so you could have disregarded that higher score if you wanted to.

I didn't even notice that update was available aaaaaa time to download it and then play Bestest Buddies until I can erase that mark of shame.

I'm just really used to how Project Diva permanently locks in whatever your highest grade is, regardless of the score you get. I had no idea this would happen.

1.03 also makes anything that you've scored King Crazy on with a crown, which stays even if you overwrite your score with a lower rank

Cute, just noticed that as well. Either way, crisis averted. Piling on challenge items got the job done, no more Brilliant.

Edit: Mayonaka Stage loading screens happen in Free Dance now. I have mixed feelings about this.

I actually really like this as a part of the game. Persona 4 is all about choosing to pursue the truth. More than once throughout the game the player is offered the choice to just accept what's presented or question it. The social links reflect that theme; so you can either accept that Dojima is a terrible Dad, or choose to look for the truth and get a fairer view of him as a character. It's a great way to make the player actively learn the message of the story I think.

i never thought about it that way. it makes since in regards to the central theme of the game.

haha so the the "only thing" you didn't like about Persona 4 was the the central gameplay mechanic?

It's not that I didn't like doing the social links, it was that you don't know why characters are the way they are without them.

EiKeBKY.png

Zyrox

I'm rather late to the whole betting thing, but it sounds like fun. Given that Atlus USA stated multiple times that P5 is coming in 2015 in NA, I'm confident NA will get P5 this year (of course it could still be delayed, but eh, I take that risk). So put me down on team #InHardinWeTrust.

Also, ranking time :D

P4:
Kanji
Yukiko
Naoto
Rise
Chie
Yosque
Teddie

P3:
Mitsuru
Aigis
Akihiko
Ken
Koromaru
Junpei
Yukari
Fuuka

artsi

I wouldn't be surprised if Naoto was a real police officer in P5 and made a brief appearance, interrogating the MC or something.

Chie mentions deciding to become a police officer in the end of P4 as well. It would be cool to have them as a small cameo, even just in the background or with a group of police/detectives at some point. Doesn't have to be a big thing. Semi-related fanart:

One thing I've noticed after some time in the Persona fandom is that other than younger characters like Ken, they cut off women's heights at a certain point.

xbdCDWt.jpg

I'm not trying to start an issue where there may not be one, but it'd be nice to see a taller woman in the cast this time around. What if the Fox-Mask character turns out to be like that?

Idk, I'm starving for more info at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Naoto was a real police officer in P5 and made a brief appearance, interrogating the MC or something.

Isn't it Naoto's deal that she comes from a long line of private investigators? Joining the 'real' police, I feel would be a detriment to her.

Sophia

One thing I've noticed after some time in the Persona fandom is that other than younger characters like Ken, they cut off women's heights at a certain point.

Well, remember they're a Japanese cast. The heights aren't all that unusual. Mitsuru's 166 cm (5'5") may not seem tall to me (My mom is 5'6", I'm 6'1"), but that's way above average height for a Japanese female. Mitsuru, and to a lesser degree Maya and Yukino, probably come off as a bit sexy due to how tall they are.

For reference: Average male and female heights in Japan are 172 (5'7") and 158 (5'2") respectively. Contrast this to the United States where the average is 179 (5'9") and 162 (5'4") respectively.

For reference: Average male and female heights in Japan are 172 (5'7") and 158 (5'2") respectively. Contrast this to the United States where the average is 179 (5'9") and 162 (5'4") respectively.

Thing is, they're not constrained to realistic "Average Japanese" measurements, and even if they were, they're just that - an average.

I'm not asking for a giant woman (SU reference), just a woman taller than 175 or so. Such women exist in real life, and since we have Anne in the cast (A presumed Foreigner), they shouldn't be limited to Japanese Averages.

I mean, Teddie is meant to be extremely feminine and youthful, and even he is the same height as the tallest woman. (I pinned him to be slightly shorter than Yukiko)

Thing is, they're not constrained to realistic "Average Japanese" measurements, and even if they were, they're just that - an average.

I'm not asking for a giant woman (SU reference), just a woman taller than 175 or so. Such women exist in real life, and since we have Anne in the cast (A presumed Foreigner), they shouldn't be limited to Japanese Averages.

I mean, Teddie is meant to be extremely feminine and youthful, and even he is the same height as the tallest woman. (I pinned him to be slightly shorter than Yukiko)

Do you think Kashiwagi, Eri, or Sayoko could fit that? I don't remember how tall they were compared to Yu's model, but you'd think at least the adult women would be taller.

Do you think Kashiwagi, Eri, or Sayoko could fit that? I don't remember how tall they were compared to Yu's model, but you'd think at least the adult women would be taller.

I should have been clearer, I was talking about the main party members throughout all the Persona games. (There are some women who are taller, but even they'd be limited to around 170 max, if measured.)

I'm trying to resize an image to be my new avatar, but I could use some help resizing it so it doesn't become too small while still fitting the guidelines.

If anyone can help, please let me know in a private message.

I should have been clearer, I was talking about the main party members throughout all the Persona games. (There are some women who are taller, but even they'd be limited to around 170 max, if measured.)

I figured that's what you meant, but the inclusion of Dojima and Nanako in that picture kind of skews who "counts" in that respect.

EDIT:

I'm okay with some kind of reference or maybe an appearance of a Social Link, but I really don't want any of the Investigation Team to show up. Their story is done.
It's not even about their story being done. I just want each main entry to be self-contained.
If the P3 or P4 crew show up being grown-up badasses in the P5 crew's debut, they'll always be seen as inferior.

Weiss

Banned
I'm okay with some kind of reference or maybe an appearance of a Social Link, but I really don't want any of the Investigation Team to show up. Their story is done.

There's a 100 X 100 Pixel limit for avatars IIRC, only thing I can come up with is cutting one of the girls out of the picture to make your avatar look more like a square.

Even if one side is half the length of the other? (I was thinking about making it a rectangular PNG to make them both fit, but as you can see it still seems to downsize it further)

Even if one side is half the length of the other? (I was thinking about making it a rectangular PNG to make them both fit, but as you can see it still seems to downsize it further)

I actually don't really know that much of avatars lol, it would be best to check out the avatar thread, those guys probably know their stuff more than me.

Sophia

It is unlikely anyone from Persona 3 or Persona 4 will directly show up in Persona 5, seeing as the story is seemingly set in 2016. For anyone not keeping track, that's four to five years after Persona 4, and almost seven- eight years after Persona 3. That being said, we'll probably get some references and shoutouts, just as we always have.

It would pretty much take a foreigner for that, and even then, 175 cm/5'7" or greater would be slightly unusual anywhere. If it does show up in a Persona game, expect it to be a source of problems for it's cast.

For what it's worth, Anne does seem to be pretty tall. The protagonist sits at 175 cm, and she doesn't seem to be significantly shorter. Probably in the 165 cm range?

I actually don't really know that much of avatars lol, it would be best to check out the avatar thread, those guys probably know their stuff more than me.

Could you please link me? I'm not too sure where to find that. (Would it be in Off Topic?)

It would pretty much take a foreigner for that, and even then, 175 cm/5'7" or greater would be slightly unusual anywhere. If it does show up in a Persona game, expect it to be a source of problems for it's cast.

For what it's worth, Anne does seem to be pretty tall. The protagonist sits at 175 cm, and she doesn't seem to be significantly shorter. Probably in the 165 cm range?

I didn't mean exactly 175, but around there would be nice. Anne being 165cm would already put her on the high side for the women of the series, but it's a shame that the heights are so cleanly split between men and women in Persona.

All I'm trying to say is that It'd be nice to have some variation.

Sophia

I didn't mean exactly 175, but around there would be nice. Anne being 165cm would already put her on the high side for the women of the series, but it's a shame that the heights are so cleanly split between men and women in Persona.

All I'm trying to say is that It'd be nice to have some variation.

Thing is, in real life, heights are typically split between men and women too. You have someone like me spring up every so often who's an exception to that rule, but in real life women are generally on the shorter side. So it can't really be a shame or anything like that.

Given The Law of Conservation of Detail, any character that stands out height wise to such a big degree above Japan's average female height is going to have it virtually guaranteed as a plot point. :p

Thing is, in real life, heights are typically split between men and women too. You have someone like me spring up every so often who's an exception to that rule, but in real life women are generally on the shorter side. So it can't really be a shame or anything like that.

Given The Law of Conservation of Detail, any character that stands out height wise to such a big degree above Japan's average female height is going to have it virtually guaranteed as a plot point. :p

True enough, but I can't help but keep on wanting it. It's not something I'll get depressed over if it's not in the game, but it'd be cool.

100x120 is the maximum, and anything not fitting those guidelines will be auto resized to fit them when you try to upload it.

100x120 is the maximum, and anything not fitting those guidelines will be auto resized to fit them when you try to upload it.

Alright - thanks for the assistance. I'll keep it like this unless someone on the Avatar thread can make it larger or clearer.

P5 PV#01 Spoilers:
Back on topic though; am I the only one who would really love it if the
Velvet Twins were fun-loving and playful like this? I love their designs and this image just feels right for me, considering past attendants.

What do you guys think they'll be like?

Lunar15

I have to be honest: I find that picture kind of creepy, mainly because the twins seem so young compared to past attendants.

That said, I see them being pretty deadpan, what with the whole angle of the velvet room being a prison. Like the previous ones, I'm sure their "weirder side" will come out as you do their social link.

VegiHam

xbdCDWt.jpg

I'm not trying to start an issue where there may not be one, but it'd be nice to see a taller woman in the cast this time around. What if the Fox-Mask character turns out to be like that?

Idk, I'm starving for more info at this point.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait, I'm shorter than Teddie? All this time I thought he was a short guy but he's a few cm taller than me. Well that's humbling. Turns out I'm Maya's height. I really ought to play her game. Alas, Europe.

I have to be honest: I find that picture kind of creepy, mainly because the twins seem so young compared to past attendants.

I think you may be looking at it the wrong way. It doesn't have that connotation to me at all. (It seems more parental and fun than anything "adult")

It is unlikely anyone from Persona 3 or Persona 4 will directly show up in Persona 5, seeing as the story is seemingly set in 2016. For anyone not keeping track, that's four to five years after Persona 4, and almost seven- eight years after Persona 3. That being said, we'll probably get some references and shoutouts, just as we always have.

I'm still guilty for being one of the few who wants one of those 3-4 day vacation trips with some relation to P3/4. I'd go as far to say i want to see the casts for a day or two (I'm biased so anything related to P3 i will want), but i doubt it will happen. (P3/4 vacation trip spoilers)
Kinda like P3P does with Inaba, and P4G (IDK about regular P4) does with Gekkoukan/ Tatsumi Port Island

Top Bottom