• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Sophia

Interesting news to wake up to. I honestly only expected PV2 at the Sony conference despite hoping for much more.

Oh god it's going to be a week full of crazytrain nonsense before anything is actually revealed, isn't it.

You know it. It wouldn't be Atlus if it wasn't.

FluxWaveZ

BEurEC8.gif

Pretty obvious, but: there's a line of text in the source code for the page description about publishing the latest information on Persona 5.

ペルソナシリーズナンバリング最新作『ペルソナ5』最新情報公開!

That's the thing about thieves. They're not just gonna reveal themselves when you want them to!

Oh god it's going to be a week full of crazytrain nonsense before anything is actually revealed, isn't it.

Of course it will. They are able to do it with just a few hours of "events". One can only imagine what they will do with a few days.

Lunar15

Of course it will. They are able to do it with just a few hours of "events". One can only imagine what they will do with a few days.

Well, I'm used to the traditional "Persona 5 3 Day Countdown" featuring tons of helpful info about past games in the persona series. I'm totally ready for another P3 recap.

Sophia

Well, I'm used to the traditional "Persona 5 3 Day Countdown" featuring tons of helpful info about past games in the persona series. I'm totally ready for another P3 recap.

Wonder if they'll show a digest 60 minute version of the latest Persona 3 movie, like they did last time? :p

QuadOpto

All I know that I want right now is for some time either during the broadcast or at the Special Stage itself, for a certain PR man to awkwardly stumble on set after they unveil whatever trailer they will show (PV 2), and say " Coming 2015." to the cameras and then promptly leave.

Lunar15

All I know that I want right now is for some time either during the broadcast or at the Special Stage itself, for a certain PR man to awkwardly stumble on set after they unveil whatever trailer they will show (PV 2), and say " Coming 2015." to the cameras and then promptly leave.

Who do we know in japan who can get said PR man drunk enough to do this?

Presumably this is the URL that scanning some TGS-related QR code will take you to.

Seems it's a QR code on the Wanted poster that leads to that site.

So with the posters around, that page would have to open fairly soon for there to be any point to them. We could be getting something well before Saturday.

You're telling me my game about a bunch of Japanese HS students solving MURDERS (TM) and doing awesome teenager things with an anthro teddybear that turns into a human boy that wants to yiff every girl in sight along with your obviously gay for you sidekick, lesbian teammates, pop idol, gay biker, and transvestite detective figure out who was shoving a bunch of randos into a TV might have just been some weird fever dream?

You're telling me my game about a bunch of Japanese HS students solving MURDERS (TM) and doing awesome teenager things with an anthro teddybear that turns into a human boy that wants to yiff every girl in sight along with your obviously gay for you sidekick, lesbian teammates, pop idol, gay biker, and transvestite detective figure out who was shoving a bunch of randos into a TV might have just been some weird fever dream?

That's actually hard to say in one breath. Kudos. lol

Meia

Monokuma is P5 main vilain

You could do some mighty interesting shit with that.

Given the story of Danganronpa, you could have
the MC's crew with the power of friendship vs Junko's crew with the power of despair. The Fool and the Jester. You'd have two groups perfectly going against each other, ya know, kind of what they wanted to do with Strega, but way less shitty? :p

FluxWaveZ

the MC's crew with the power of friendship vs Junko's crew with the power of despair. The Fool and the Jester. You'd have two groups perfectly going against each other, ya know, kind of what they wanted to do with Strega, but way less shitty? :p

I'd be up for the idea of a "DR Persona," but definitely not like this.

P4 was cute and all, but The Power of Bonds™ kinda needs to die already. I would revel in P5 taking a completely different approach with its cast, and I actually liked P4's dynamic.

Besides, (really minor DR spoilers)
P4's cast is too flawed to really convey the idea of perfect hope and acceptance like Naegi does. But that's mostly because of P4's writing itself lmao

Lunar15

I wasn't too fond of the writing in DR. It's fun and enjoyable, but it didn't hit the same notes that P4/P3 did. Honestly though, I think a huge portion of that is localization. There's something a little more down to earth in the Persona games.

Also, I find a lot of irony in saying Persona's themes were cute in comparison to Danganronpa's hilariously bad hope/despair nonsense. Persona ain't all that subtle, nor is the plot shakespeare by any means, but I feel like there's just enough subtext beyond the surface theme. The Power of Bonds stuff was really overplayed post-P4 in all the spinoffs, presumably because it was different writers who didn't want to add on to a formula they thought was solid, and ran with what they knew.

I don't want to shit on DR because I did enjoy it a lot, but I just always found to be kind of like Persona Lite in terms of its themes and writing. It's got some damn good character moments though, which is surprising considering how zany the cast is.

Anywho, I hope the localization staff at Atlus USA is up to task for P5. I have really high expectations.

FluxWaveZ

I wasn't too fond of the writing in DR. It's fun and enjoyable, but it didn't hit the same notes that P4/P3 did. Honestly though, I think a huge portion of that is localization. There's something a little more down to earth in the Persona games.

Also, I find a lot of irony in saying Persona's themes were cute in comparison to Danganronpa's hilariously bad hope/despair nonsense.

Why are you directly comparing Persona 3/4 to Danganronpa? They're insanely different in every aspect and they aim for completely different things. Danganronpa isn't meant to be down-to-earth at all, for example.

84X

Banned
Playing through Danaganronpa now and I still can't see what there is to like about the series.

P5 will for sure continue the power of friendship.

FluxWaveZ

P5 will for sure continue the power of friendship.

Doubt it's going to be as overt as in P4, especially from what Hashino talked about concerning the shift in theme. Persona 4 is the only game in the series in which it permeates throughout the story, while it's only reserved for certain moments in P3, particularly near the end. Same goes for P1, P2:IS and P2:EP.

Lunar15

Why are you directly comparing Persona 3/4 to Danganronpa? They're insanely different in every aspect and they aim for completely different things. Danganronpa isn't meant to be down-to-earth at all, for example.

You're not wrong. I don't really want to compare the two, but while playing it I did kind of get this feeling that DR was, in some small ways, a Persona Lite. I think it's that my exposure to those visual-novel esque japanese games (which Persona is technically a part of) is pretty limited.

I dunno, you're right in that it's not a worthwhile discussion. Danganronpa is definitely going for a completely different tone and angle.

Zolo

Yep. Persona 5 will focus more on camaraderie with all your social links ending up contributing to your thief team! So uh......you know, kinda like One Piece where each member contributes something the others can't.

Especially the one who'll have turned out to have been undercover for your enemy who you have to forgive after their betrayal for them to continue to be a party member.

Lunar15

P4G's localization was so fucking good. "Let 'em dangle" will forever live in my heart. I just hope that there's no missed steps with the new game.

84X

Banned
Crazy twists, despair, characters, sadness, hope, and murder. In that order.

Just not my thing I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doubt it's going to be as overt as in P4, especially from what Hashino talked about concerning the shift in theme. Persona 4 is the only game in the series in which it permeates throughout the story, while it's only reserved for certain moments in P3, particularly near the end. Same goes for P1, P2:IS and P2:EP.

Well I wasn't really commenting on how saturated the story will be with it just that it will be there nonetheless. Personally though I'd be a bit surprised if it didn't lean more towards P4's level at this point, even if it just gradually builds up to that maximum throughout the game.

This may sound weird, but I think I figured out what the QR code teaser page will be like.

I looked at the poster and the teaser site again, then noticed something. The Persona 5 logo on the site and on that poster are nearly the same dimensions. Of course, that could just be to fit it into the poster.

But, then I thought. They want us to "report now" to see the wanted suspects (scanning the QR code on the poster takes you to the teaser site, where I assume info will be each day up to the 19th, due to it being for TGS and saying "COMING SOON"). Let's say today/tomorrow (JST) is when the first QR code goes into effect. That means we get four days with four QR codes. That means from the 16th to the 19th (which is the day of the main event) Now, remember. The poster has four characters, and they are fitted in four squares. I think it's a double entendre. It's a wanted poster while also doubling as a hint of just what the QR site is for. What better way to find out more about wanted suspects than with small clips or info about them? It not only helps tease P5 for the big day, but also works with the campaign.

P4G's localization was so fucking good. "Let 'em dangle" will forever live in my heart. I just hope that there's no missed steps with the new game.

Both P3 and P4 had really good localisation so I would be surprised if P5 ended up being weaker. Though I would like to see an alternate version of P5 were it gets a localization on the level of Star Ocean 4.

Theodoricos

Thankfully I didn't find it excessive save for (possible P4 spoilers)
Teddie's final speech in the true ending. The moment would've been perfect if Yu simply looked at the picture they took together and smiled. Nothing needed to be said.

Now, the P4 spin-offs, on the other hand...

Sophia

Well I wasn't really commenting on how saturated the story will be with it just that it will be there nonetheless. Personally though I'd be a bit surprised if it didn't lean more towards P4's level at this point, even if it just gradually builds up to that maximum throughout the game.

I would actually be surprised if it leaned towards Persona 4's level at all. Persona 4 is the outliner, as Flux noted. The whole "bonds of friendship" theme just isn't prevalent like that anywhere else in the series, and there's no reason to assume this will be the case for Persona 5. Even the ending of Persona 3 was more
about what people chose to do in the face of death
then specifically about the bonds of friendship, although the theme wasn't absent.

It certainly would not be unusual if Persona 5 was completely devoid of the friendship theme,

Both P3 and P4 had really good localisation so I would be surprised if P5 ended up being weaker. Though I would like to see an alternate version of P5 were it gets a localization on the level of Star Ocean 4.

Not exactly sure why you'd think Persona 5's localization would be weaker. The issue with a few voice actors aside, Atlus has consistently maintained quality throughout all their recent games. huur duur i can read gud ¯\(°_o)/¯

Thankfully I didn't find it excessive save for (possible P4 spoilers)
Teddie's final speech in the true ending. The moment would've been perfect if Yu simply looked at the picture they took together and smiled. Nothing needed to be said.

Now, the P4 spin-offs, on the other hand...
Persona 4:

Defeating
gods
with the power of friendship and dance.
Not exactly sure why you'd think Persona 5's localization would be weaker. The issue with a few voice actors aside, Atlus has consistently maintained quality throughout all their recent games.
He said he'd be suprised if the P5 localization was weaker.

Theodoricos

The only thing that will be inherently weaker is Igor's new voice actor if it'll be the same one from Ultimax. :/

Aside from that I'm expecting the localization to be excellent.

Lunar15

I think it'll remain pretty high, but there have been small changes on the team, so that always makes me wonder. I've got a ton of faith in the whole team though, so I'm optimistic.

84X

Banned
I would actually be surprised if it leaned towards Persona 4's level at all. Persona 4 is the outliner, as Flux noted. The whole "bonds of friendship" theme just isn't prevalent like that anywhere else in the series, and there's no reason to assume this will be the case for Persona 5. Even the ending of Persona 3 was more
about what people chose to do in the face of death
then specifically about the bonds of friendship, although the theme wasn't absent.

It certainly would not be unusual if Persona 5 was completely devoid of the friendship theme

Sure, P4 was the outlier but my point is that it ended up working the best for them.

And sure, it's a bit of baseless speculation at this point but from what we've seen the four P5 characters seem to be pretty tight as it is.

Friendship shall prevail.

So excited for the news. Holding out hope that a 2015 release date is announced during the stage event. Nothing has been more fun for me in gaming than Atlus' Persona countdown extravaganzas.

FluxWaveZ

Sure, P4 was the outlier but my point is that it ended up working the best for them.

And sure, it's a bit of baseless speculation at this point but from what we've seen the four P5 characters seem to be pretty tight as it is.

Friendship shall prevail.

It seems you place little faith in P Studio's ability to differentiate the games, as though they would prioritize shameless cash grabbing first. This goes against the entire philosophy they've reiterated in interviews, and against the precedent of the entire series until this point. Arguing that they would just recycle what works, how do you explain why P5 is so fundamentally different from Persona 4 aesthetically? No one saw that coming, exactly because they just expect "P4 Redux."

It'd be kind of hard for a group that fights together, presumably put their lives on the line together and share a common goal to not become friends, even if it was further down the line. That's common across literally any story with a group of companions like P5. But that's still a difference from the core "power of friendship" theme that Persona 4 had going for it, which was a focal point and not simply a side effect of other thematic points.

Not exactly sure why you'd think Persona 5's localization would be weaker. The issue with a few voice actors aside, Atlus has consistently maintained quality throughout all their recent games. huur duur i can read gud ¯\(°_o)/¯

dw I read it the exact same way at first

Theodoricos

It'd be kind of hard for a group that fights together, presumably put their lives on the line together and share a common goal to not become friends, even if it was further down the line. That's common across literally any story with a group of companions like P5. But that's still a difference from the core "power of friendship" theme that Persona 4 had going for it, which was a focal point and not simply a side effect of other thematic points.

I'd say that either the pursuit of the truth or facing yourself is the core theme of Persona 4. The power of the friendship was the obligatory secondary theme like it is for most JRPGs.

Top Bottom