• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

yami4ct

Is this the guy that voices Kanji, or that other Japanese VA with the same first name and last initial that I somehow manage to still confuse with the guy that voices Kanji?

That would be Tomokazu Seki. Tomokazu Suigita (I can see how you would get that confused) is the guy famous for doing Gintoki in Gintama. His voice is super distinctive and you've probably heard him in some other stuff, so you'd likely recognize him. I really liked what he did in Corpse Party. He played a super unhinged sociopathic guy really well.

Just saw that the VA for Char Aznable is also in P5. Just insanity. It's definitely the best VA cast I've seen in a game. This needs Dual Audio. It's just too good.

I missed this article. It's going to the most voluminous in terms of playtime? Well I spent ~80 hours on the Journey and ~20 on the Answer in P3. 100+++ hours confirmed? If the dungeons remain as varied as they look in the trailer throughout the game, plus if the story content is consistent, this is going to be the GOAT JRPG.

Kind of wonder if they plan to release DLC too.
The answer is 20ish hours!?!? That means I still have like... 70 ish hours.

I just got
Aigis
in my party. About how long is left? Is it like P4 where I feels like it's winding down then nope fuck you we're still going? What are the most important s.links to do?

Sakamoto please break the curse of shitty male classmate.

Please don't be as stupid as Junpei and Yosuke.
But then who will be the pervy classmate? Anne?

The answer is 20ish hours!?!? That means I still have like... 70 ish hours.

I just got
Aigis
in my party. About how long is left? Is it like P4 where I feels like it's winding down then nope fuck you we're still going? What are the most important s.links to do?

You're actually only about halfway done.
Both P3 and P4 cover a year's amount of time.

Squire

Banned
The best friend with inner turmoil who deflects with humor is a difficult trope to let go of. I mean, it's a good one. It's engaging on a moment to moment basis and in the right hands the character does grow. Thru don't need to abandon that archetype altogether, they just need to set Ryuji apart from the others when it comes to the nitty gritty details.

It's also just a very relatable trope that's more than commonly found in every day life (as in, a lot of guys are like Junpei and Yosuke.)

yami4ct

The best friend with inner turmoil who deflects with humor is a difficult trope to let go of. I mean, it's a good one. It's engaging on a moment to moment basis and in the right hands the character does grow. Thru don't need to abandon that archetype altogether, they just need to set Ryuji apart from the others when it comes to the nitty gritty details.

It's also just a very relatable trope that's more than commonly found in every day life (as in, a lot of guys are like Junpei and Yosuke.)

If the trailer is anything to go by, he seems really angry. That immediately sets him apart from Yosuke and Junpei. I'm kind of expecting more of a Kanji like character, but with development set off by some personal tragedy rather than inner turmoil.

Squire

Banned
If the trailer is anything to go by, he seems really angry. That immediately sets him apart from Yosuke and Junpei. I'm kind of expecting more of a Kanji like character, but with development set off by some personal tragedy rather than inner turmoil.

Than there we go!

PK Gaming

Alright, I think I've blown enough steam from this morning that it's safe posting again, and I'll (begrudgingly) accept the delay. It'll give me more time to put together a Phantom cosplay to compliment my Glasses-kun cosplay - I already have the mask, so I just need to throw the outfit together.

Ah wait dude, our bet's not over ye-

eh nevermind

EDIT: I'm sure Ryuji will stand out on his own

kiyoaki

Speaking of Sakamoto, his bio was finally revealed. Could someone translate?
Rough translation (I should preface every one of these with a disclaimer that neither English nor Japanese is my first language):
Just like the youth assumed to be the leader, he is a 16-year old boy in the second year at Shûjin gakuen high school. He has a rude way of speaking and seems to be regarded as a "problem child" at school. He causes his teachers and instructors more trouble than usual, and his behavior is problematic.
According to our investigation, he did not exhibit this sort of behavior previously, and further investigation into the cause of his delinquent behavior is desirable.

Rough translation (I should preface every one of these with a disclaimer that neither English nor Japanese is my first language):
Just like the youth assumed to be the leader, he is a 16-year old boy in the second year at Shûjin gakuen high school. He has a rude way of speaking and seems to be regarded as a "problem child" at school. He causes his teachers and instructors quite a bit of trouble, and his behavior is problematic.
According to our investigation, he did not exhibit this sort of behavior previously, and further investigation into the cause of his delinquent behavior is desirable.

so both Kanji and Yosuke at once, ok

yami4ct

Just like the youth assumed to be the leader, he is a 16-year old boy in the second year at Shûjin gakuen high school. He has a rude way of speaking and seems to be regarded as a "problem child" at school. He causes his teachers and instructors quite a bit of trouble, and his behavior is problematic.

Pretty much fuels my theory.
Something bad happens to him related to the shadows and the creation of the phantom thieves. He becomes a delinquent to cope. His S.Link will be him coming to terms with that tragedy and learning to turn the anger into something productive.

PK Gaming

Yosuke sort of has that
delinquency brought on by tragedy
thing going on, but that's definitely a reach. Kanji is a much closer parallel.

I wouldn't really call it delinquency... moving to Inaba from the city definitely caused him to resent the people around him, but he internalized it. He never really went out of his way to start trouble, especially at school.

people were talking about how he's probably the magician equal here, and I just picked at random between yosuke and Junpei but yeah, there's defintely more kanji there

yami4ct

I wouldn't really call it delinquency... moving to Inaba from the city definitely caused him to resent the people around him, but he internalized it. He never really went out of his way to start trouble, especially at school.

It's definitely not truly delinquency. More of a personality switch to slightly more antisocial behavior. There are some parallels, but Sakamoto's character definitely has more in common with other characters than the 3/4 magicians. Are we sure he's the magician equivalent? Given the sort of bulky nature of his persona, I would not be surprised if they broke tradition and made him the Emperor or something.

Just like the youth assumed to be the leader, he is a 16-year old boy in the second year at Shûjin gakuen high school. He has a rude way of speaking and seems to be regarded as a "problem child" at school. He causes his teachers and instructors more trouble than usual, and his behavior is problematic.
Sounds like a great change from Yosuke and Junpei.

kiyoaki

It's definitely not truly delinquency. More of a personality switch to slightly more antisocial behavior. There are some parallels, but Sakamoto's character definitely has more in common with other characters than the 3/4 magicians. Are we sure he's the magician equivalent? Given the sort of bulky nature of his persona, I would not be surprised if they broke tradition and made him the Emperor or something.
Ryûji's sound bites from the character profile might also offer some clues. In the first one, he says
Why do I have to go to school and receive instructions/guidance?
and in the second one
Nobody really pays attention to what I say

Soriku

Junpei is a real man. Starts off as that dumb male friend, then he turns into a jealous jerk. But he matures a lot throughout the game, and his character culminates during the Answer. Just a real good guy by the end.

I can see how someone can hate Yosuke. He matures, but not to the same extent. Yosuke is still one of my favorites though.

Ohhh now I'm really looking forward to seeing his dere side. It should be pretty adorable.

kiyoaki

And here is my attempt at a translation for Anne's profile:
A 16-year old, three quarters Japanese girl with American roots that attends Shûjin gakuen. At school, she appears to be unable to blend in and lonely due to her striking looks. She is being observed acting together with the youth assumed to be the leader and Sakamoto Ryûji. At school, strange rumors are spreading about her, but whether these are true or not is still being investigated.

FluxWaveZ

A 16-year old quarter-Japanese girl with American roots that attends Shûjin gakuen. At school, she appears to be unable to blend in and lonely due to her striking looks. She is being observed acting together with the youth assumed to be the leader and Sakamoto Ryûji. At school, strange rumors are spreading about her, but whether these are true or not is still being investigated.

Thanks for these.

Sounding a lot like
Ginko 2.0 here, tbh.
(Do we really have to spoiler these? Man...)

Zolo

If I remember right, we need to spoiler-tag P5 discussion here. I guess the stream thread would be the technically correct place to discuss this.

FluxWaveZ

If I remember right, we need to spoiler-tag P5 discussion here. I guess the stream thread would be the technically correct place to discuss this.

But the three rules are:
1. PLOT POINTS ARE NOT TO BE DISCUSSED OPENLY AND MUST BE SPOILER TAGGED AND MARKED AS PLOT POINTS, and generally should only be discussed at all if it actually pertains to the conversation. There will be appropriate threads to discuss the finer details elsewhere.

2. DO NOT EMBED ANY EVENT SCENES FROM ANY OF THE GAMES. People want to experience these things in context themselves. Please don't embed them, and if you want to post one, just post a link instead.

3. No embedding Persona 5 images beyond things like the main character designs. No dungeon shots, no event shots, nothing like that.
Unless I'm missing something, basic character profiles aren't covered.

Drop

So are we hoping for another big announcement? Or do we think that the new trailer was the big reveal?

Personally, I believe we'll have at least another strong announcement at the end of the stream, seems weird to drop your biggest announcement at the start.

But the three rules are:

Unless I'm missing something, basic character profiles aren't covered.

Yeah, spoiler tagging the character's profiles seems a bit excessive to me, it's the typical stuff you could find written in the back of the box, it's supposed to give you an idea of what the game is about.

Lusankya

Now this seems stupid to notice, but her boobs are way bigger when she wears her catsuit. I wonder if she she binds them when in school?

daevious

Sounding a lot like
Ginko 2.0 here, tbh.
(Do we really have to spoiler these? Man...)

It's a little disappointing that she's basically Lisa considering that everyone's first reaction was to compare the two. I'm just hoping that she doesn't have Lisa's initial shitty attitude, although that doesn't look to be the case.

Don't know whether that should be spoiler texted or not, but I'm playing it safe.

kiyoaki

OK, so here's the corrected version without spoiler tags:
A 16-year old, three quarters Japanese girl with American roots that attends Shûjin gakuen. At school, she appears to be unable to blend in and lonely due to her striking looks. She is being observed acting together with the youth assumed to be the leader and Sakamoto Ryûji. At school, strange rumors are spreading about her, but whether these are true or not is still being investigated.

For some reason I'm having a hard time catching what she says in the sound samples. Anyone willing to help me out?
1. 変な人だね。皆、あたしなんて ??? なのに。
(It's not 叱った, right?)
2. あたし、あんたなんかが好きにできるほどお安い女じゃないから。

FluxWaveZ

Heads up: atlustube's removing videos from this stream and of Persona 5 out there. There was a YouTube profile that was archiving some of the stream stuff like the news reports that had some of their videos removed and the channel subsequently taken down, and that first English subbed trailer has been taken down as well.

What the heck, she's not Finnish?

Dantis

Now this seems stupid to notice, but her boobs are way bigger when she wears her catsuit. I wonder if she she binds them when in school?

It's actually just that Soejima doesn't draw ladies with large chests when he does his own thing.

Check out the Soejima art of her catsuit design from the Hashino interview, for example.

Dantis

Is there only one female character in the group or will me see more characters revealed ?

The brown haired rumoured member is also male.

Er... how do you know that? I am 100% certain there will be more female cast members. P-Studio usually have a good balance when it comes to main character genders.

Top Bottom