• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

PK Gaming

rHmcBng.png

So x84 and I have started a comic thing for Persona. We'll be doing these from time to time, so hopefully you enjoy!

Ok, there's not really much new, but it's a lot of stuff from previous interviews officially in English. It mentiones that the MC and Morgana are pretty close, and that the mc has a nuance of "brash audacity" and The Palace is apparently the official translation for the other world.

Also the only screen is taken from an anime cut scene, so no text.

Dantis

The interview makes it sound like the thief outfits are a product of the other world? And are a representation of the characters' mischievous sides? Anyone want to speculate on how the designs relate?

Tamanon

Banned
I think we might see some cool juxtaposition behind the concept of what make a kid seem bad and what it really means to be bad.

The interview makes it sound like the thief outfits are a product of the other world? And are a representation of the characters' mischievous sides? Anyone want to speculate on how the designs relate?

Not 100% sure but would that mean that the reason why Anne wears a catsuit is that her mischievous side is a rather femme-fatale/tempting personality.

Same with Ryuji but then he has a more brash/blunt side to him.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here though, no idea what this all means for Morgana.

Setsu00

Not 100% sure but would that mean that the reason why Anne wears a catsuit is that her mischievous side is a rather femme-fatale/tempting personality.

Same with Ryuji but then he has a more brash/blunt side to him.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here though, no idea what this all means for Morgana.

Yusuke's case would be interesting too. Is his thief design based on a fox or on a tanuki? I guess that would influence the interpretation quite a bit.

Seeing P5 in an English gaming magazine is a lot cooler than I thought it'd be. Might try and pick this up, if I can find it anywhere.

My guess is that since Ann is isolated, her mischievous side is about playing with people wanting her. Ryuuji's is all about that wild freedom (and reputation) you get with being a biker/pirate. Not sure about Yusuke, my guess is that is has something to do with some aspect of Japanese literature I don't know about.
And Morgana... Morgana is about being the coolest.

Cool! Interviews with Hashino are always fun to read.

I agree. I think of him in relation to modern Persona the same way I think about Kojima in relation to Metal Gear, or Miyazaki in relation to Souls. Really appreciate his insights and what he brings to the series.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Glad to see it in Game Informer, but they sure could have picked some more interesting screenshots.

Weren't a lot to choose from. They're not big on using screens w/ Japanese text on them, so they used the ones w/o. Since Kim's interview was focused on the characters, there you go. But yeah - first interview in English w/ Hashino. Should be all brand new answers (i.e. not reused/repurposed from Famitsu), but if they cover same ground, there shouldn't be a lot of departure. Definitely know there's more to go over in the full interview, just don't know when it'll go live on their website.

PK Gaming

Weren't a lot to choose from. They're not big on using screens w/ Japanese text on them, so they used the ones w/o. Since Kim's interview was focused on the characters, there you go. But yeah - first interview in English w/ Hashino. Should be all brand new answers (i.e. not reused/repurposed from Famitsu), but if they cover same ground, there shouldn't be a lot of departure. Definitely know there's more to go over in the full interview, just don't know when it'll go live on their website.

Wait, did GI get to interview Hashino?

Because if that's the case then yessssssssss

Looking forward to it then.

Sophia

And here I was doubting John.
#HardinDidn'tLieThisTime.

He told a half truth. He said "There won't be any news from us coming out of PlayStation Experience", but he didn't specify what "us" was, and SEGA announced Yakuza Zero's US release! :p

Lunar15

The english interview with Hashino is great. Not crazy new info, but some refreshing stuff.

I figured the reason they couldn't go all out on pictures was due to japanese text and such. Still, some of the redder shots would have been nice!

But I digress, just seeing it in a big mag with an english interview is great.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
He told a half truth. He said "There won't be any news from us coming out of PlayStation Experience", but he didn't specify what "us" was, and SEGA announced Yakuza Zero's US release! :p

My bad for not clarifying on the Persona community forum that I, the PR manager for ATLUS, had to specify I was specifically talking about ATLUS and not SEGA. :p

Tamanon

Banned
I will say, getting an english interview with Atlus Japan is quite a feat. It seems all we ever get are people translating Japanese interviews. I think this goes to show how much Atlus appreciates their fans on the other side of the ocean.

daevious

I will say, getting an english interview with Atlus Japan is quite a feat. It seems all we ever get are people translating Japanese interviews. I think this goes to show how much Atlus appreciates their fans on the other side of the ocean.

I distinctly remember an interview from before P4 came out where Hashino talked about the positive reception P3 received overseas and the response he and his team had in regards to whether this popularity would affect was basically "We're not sure how we got popular in the west, but those people clearly like what we're doing, so I suppose we should keep on the course we're on."

FluxWaveZ

There've been several Atlus Japan interviews with English outlets in the past, such as the Persona 4: Dancing All Night interview The Verge held with Kazuhisa Wada in September. I would say it's just as common as any other notable Japanese game company.

I distinctly remember an interview from before P4 came out where Hashino talked about the positive reception P3 received overseas and the response he and his team had in regards to whether this popularity would affect was basically "We're not sure how we got popular in the west, but those people clearly like what we're doing, so I suppose we should keep on the course we're on."

I believe you're referring to the Naoto Hiraoka interview with MCV.
“The big turning point was 2008, which was when Persona 3 came out [in the West],” explains Atlus CEO Naoto Hiraoka.

“Up until then, when we would develop a game in Japan, it was very much what we would want to do – as a company. We would want to make a game, and we would make the game the way we wanted to and do it a certain way. That was always how we had done things up until that point.

“Persona 3 represented something different for us; it was the first time where we decided to look at things overall, and think more about the consumers and what the consumer might be looking for in a game. That's how that game was developed and then released.

“Seeing the fan reaction to that, it was extremely positive, and things kind of took off from there. So we decided that, going forward, we would focus on these things and think about these things while creating our games.”
However, both that interview and the 1UP Persona 4 one kind of say the opposite of what you are, so you might be remembering things a bit wrong.
1UP: You’ve mentioned that you’d like to keep Western audiences in mind when creating future Persona games, which you haven’t really done up until now. Do you worry that if you do, you’ll lose sight of what Western fans love about Persona? We’re just concerned that when Japanese developers try to emulate Western design — or, vice versa, when Western developers try to emulate Japanese design — they sometimes end up satisfying neither audience. How would you avoid similar pitfalls?

KH: If we want to win the approval of overseas users, then in the end, I don’t think there’s any other way than to analyze what parts of P4 overseas users like. I would like to continue developing games while being more conscious than ever about overseas users.

Sophia

My bad for not clarifying on the Persona community forum that I, the PR manager for ATLUS, had to specify I was specifically talking about ATLUS and not SEGA. :p

:D

I'm only giving you crap because the Yakuza Zero announcement was awesome. Think I'm more interested in that until Persona 5 gets a solid date. >_>;

Zolo

The answer is clearly more hot springs scenes.

MSMrRound

GAF's "most anticipated of ___" thread is up:

Most wanted 2016 games

Unsurprisingly, Persona 5 seems to be getting mentioned quite a bit.

Persona 5 for top 10, 3 years in a row, go!

*wonders if John is taking note of the thread for a little bit of market research...*

FluxWaveZ

That interview, all said and done, took about 3 months to arrange. This one I started working on in February. :\

Man, a 10-month turnaround? I figured scheduling and logistics for these weren't necessarily simple tasks, but I didn't expect it to be in planning for even 3 months.

Then again, I can see it. Especially considering the matter of timing for when and how to disseminate info about the games.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Man, a 10-month turnaround? I figured scheduling and logistics for these weren't necessarily simple tasks, but I didn't expect it to be in planning for even 3 months.

Then again, I can see it. Especially considering the matter of timing for when and how to disseminate info about the games.

Devs are busy devving. I think it helped when I got to meet some of them at our HQ prior to TGS (Soejima came up to talk to me and thank me for helping out at E3 2014 -- s...s...senpai remembered me?!)

Also, looks like the full interview is finally up. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...and-characters-interview-katsura-hashino.aspx

Top Bottom