• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Rutger

Banned
The pause screen feels more like an angsty kind of edge to me. The fusion stuff is more like the "look at how badass and dark this stuff is" kind of edge. It's silly and pretty easy to do it wrong, but edginess isn't necessarily a bad thing so it's all in the execution for me.
No pun intended.

I don't really see anything as being edgy in P5. It just feels like they're having fun with themes and styles they could only reasonably work with while they have the Phantom Thief thing going on. Everything with the menus and the velvet room makes me think the developers are having a ton of fun with it all, which isn't how I'd describe something that's edgy.

A Persona game with Phantom Thiefs is a dream come true to me though, so it might be hard for me to view anything negatively at this point.

Lunar15

A Persona game with Phantom Thiefs is a dream come true to me though, so it might be hard for me to view anything negatively at this point.

That's where I am. I'm definitely biased. I've been wanting a phantom thief game for a loooooong time. That it's also persona is just incredible.

FluxWaveZ

It's been a while since I posted in here. I'd just like to say one thing:

Persona 5 is a video game.

There've been some interesting perspectives lately due to the new aesthetic touches for the persona fusions in P5. I'm on the side that likes and even appreciates them, but I can also see the argument that it's trying too hard or going too far. I think, in context and through repetition, it won't be as bad as those people might think it is. Just like pointing a gun to your head and shooting to summon a persona so much that it just becomes completely plain by the end unless you really think about it.

Sophia

What's all this about fusions? I must have missed something.

New info came out in Famitsu.

Basically the fusion is now two Personas going to the guillotine, getting their "masks" cut off, and fusing to a new one.

Also sacrificial fusions are in as hangings

Also heart items are in as sacrificial items which are done by sending a Persona to the electric chair.

You can see it somewhat in P3, but especially after P4, the Persona Team seems really skilled at making a cohesive atmosphere that encompasses the entire game, no matter what individual elements might be surprising to find in it. I'm not really expecting the crueler Velvet Room to bother me at all, because I expect it to fit perfectly with the rest of the game, but only actually playing the game will confirm that.

cj_iwakura

New info came out in Famitsu.

Basically the fusion is now two Personas going to the guillotine, getting their "masks" cut off, and fusing to a new one.

Also sacrificial fusions are in as hangings

Also heart items are in as sacrificial items which are done by sending a Persona to the electric chair.

Sounds fun.

cheez124

normally the kind of stuff in P5 is what i would consider edgy (constant use of red and black, teens rebelling against society, the persona executions, etc), but seeing it all come together, it ends up not feeling that way at all. P5 gives off a fun, confident, flashy vibe to me, rather than a dark and edgy one. the main characters kinda represent that too; they're dealing with many dangerous people, entering places filled with deadly traps and demons, but they're having the time of their lives and are clearly confident in themselves rather than being all angsty about it

Lusankya

The screens in famitsu really don't make the executions look as dark as they sound on paper.

As expected they're super harmless.
"Look, we're executing these glowing orbs."

And as always people were already discussing the possibility of censorship or an imagined outrage of so called "SJWs" (don't ask me how that's supposed to make any sense at all). :rolleyes:

FluxWaveZ

Why the break, Flux? Just don't want to get overloaded by being here and doing PC?

It's a pretty funny thing that one who tries to avoid Persona 5 media as much as possible is responsible for a site like Persona Central. I've been coming here less and I'll continue to do so in the future, unfortunately, 'cause I just don't want to hear too much about P5 or even read much speculation about it.

Them's the breaks. But 1 month left until the big event.

Mediking

I really like how in P4G you can easily rewatch your favorite cutscenes. I rewatch Yu's
Awakening
over and over because of how hype it is.
"Per-son-a".

Jintor

People who are anti "sjw" play persona? Lmao? Can they actually read? Did they somehow miss the actual themes of the games?

Lusankya

People who are anti "sjw" play persona? Lmao? Can they actually read? Did they somehow miss the actual themes of the games?

I don't even know what they actually mean when they write "SJW" (I cannot use this term without quotation marks, it's so silly) as most of the times it just doesn't make sense.

In my experience originally the term "SJW" was used by misogynists to denounce (usually male) persons who are against sexism. Nowadays it's like this is used by people who think there could be other people who might criticize a game or something else for whatever reason. It's like a phantom fear.

Just look at this commentary below the original article on persona fusions in P5:

"you dont expect SJW will start with their BS onde they know this right?"

Even if you ignore the fact that the guillotine fusions will be super harmless it doesn't make any sense to connect this to people who support female rights activities. So this guy apparently lives in the constant (imaginary) fear every harmless thing will provoke outrage by so called "SJWs", even so it basically doesn't happen like 99% of the time. And when there is an actual outrage it's usually justified.

artsi

Anyone in Europe have experience with amazon.co.jp preorders, any luck getting games on the release day?

I want the box but I also want to play it day one, so I'm wandering between digital and physical.

_Ryo_

Maybe I'm missing something but where is the pause screen? I don't remember seeing a picture of that anywhere.

On another note: I'm loving everyone's summer outfits. Makoto, Anne's and Yusuke's are awesome.

Setsu00

Maybe I'm missing something but where is the pause screen? I don't remember seeing a picture of that anywhere.

On another note: I'm loving everyone's summer outfits. Makoto, Anne's and Yusuke's are awesome.

I'm pretty sure you've seen that one before.
a7emjevxxsjcvd4iidxn.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I don't even know what they actually mean when they write "SJW" (I cannot use this term without quotation marks, it's so silly) as most of the times it just doesn't make sense.

In my experience originally the term "SJW" was used by misogynists to denounce (usually male) persons who are against sexism. Nowadays it's like this is used by people who think there could be other people who might criticize a game or something else for whatever reason. It's like a phantom fear.

Just look at this commentary below the original article on persona fusions in P5:

"you dont expect SJW will start with their BS onde they know this right?"

Even if you ignore the fact that the guillotine fusions will be super harmless it doesn't make any sense to connect this to people who support female rights activities. So this guy apparently lives in the constant (imaginary) fear every harmless thing will provoke outrage by so called "SJWs", even so it basically doesn't happen like 99% of the time. And when there is an actual outrage it's usually justified.

SJW was a term that was used by progressives to single out the people who were harming their fight.

IE someone posting something about equality then spouting "CIS SCUM" etc.

Then it just caught as a meaningless buzzword that lost all meaning toward its original purpose.

Anyone in Europe have experience with amazon.co.jp preorders, any luck getting games on the release day?

I want the box but I also want to play it day one, so I'm wandering between digital and physical.

It won't arrive on release day based on my past experiences, but shouldn't take too long. Probably about 3-4 days.

Setsu00

SJW was a term that was used by progressives to single out the people who were harming their fight.

Then it just caught as a meaningless buzzword that lost all meaning toward its original purpose.

I don't think that "SJW" ("social justive warrior", for the uninitiated) has become a meaningless buzzword. It's meaning has changed, but I think the way you use the term is pretty telling for what kind of person you are.

It won't arrive on release day based on my past experiences, but shouldn't take too long. Probably about 3-4 days.
Last time I ordered from them it took a bit longer, a little more than a week iirc.
With Persona 5 though, it says they won't even ship it to me in Italy, so I went with another website. They keep changing their mind about shipping games, sometimes it's available and sometimes it isn't.

artsi

Hmm I guess I'll buy it digital, and then get the localized retail version. I plan on taking the friday (16th) off and then play 3 days over the weekend :p

barybll

Banned

Most of the modern use of "sjw" is aimed towards people who, for example, would call a game garbage for not having homosexual relations despite all other gameplay aspects or protest in twitter about there not being black characters in a slavic medieval fantasy land.

Its a umbrella term for people who complain about depictions that you personally don't find to be a big deal at all, like edgy nowadays is used for anything with a darker tone.

Most of the modern use of "sjw" is aimed towards people who, for example, would call a game garbage for not having homosexual relations despite all other gameplay aspects or protest in twitter about there not being black characters in a slavic medieval fantasy land.

Its a umbrella term for people who complain about depictions that you personally don't find to be a big deal at all, like edgy nowadays is used for anything with a darker tone.

I'd say that's a fair description.

Now can we please get the hell away from this topic before it becomes a dumpster fire?

For once I agree with you

(laugh track)

(laugh track continues)

*brohug*
*slaps 'kick me' sign onto back*

(laugh track intensifies)

Anyone can translate what these questions are about?
http://persona5.jp/tgs2016/?loc=tokyo
I'll give it a shot. Please note that my Japanese is still wip.
1.How does the Persona 5 gameplay look? 94.5% said it's interesting.
2.I'm glad about these features in Persona 5! Best 3 (This is my best guess for this one, as I have no clue as to why it says ここ, hope some Japanese expert will explain this one). Answer1: Something about the atmosphere (need help here as well); Answer2: Magic-like characters; Answer3: Music (This one was easy); Answer4: Graphics (Even easier).
3.How does eveyone feel about playing Persona 5? 97.1% I strongly wish to buy it.

Hope it helps a bit while waiting for someone who know more than me :D

Setsu00

Anyone can translate what these questions are about?
http://persona5.jp/tgs2016/?loc=tokyo

It's basically what people who played Persona 5 during the demo tour thought of the game. 94.5% of the players thought the game was interesting. The players are most interested in the story of the game and liked the game's characters and music. They also praised the graphics. 97.5% of the demo players plan to preorder the game while noone answered that they don't want to buy the game anymore after playing it.

Some impressions from Tokyo (without spoilers):
- The game is easily playable even by people that haven't played a game in the series so far. Battles have a good flow to them and the map seems interesting as there are lots of intriguing places.
- The story, the music and the graphics are incredible. The return of demon negotiation will probably also pull in lots of the fans of earlier titles. The game's atmosphere is closer to Persona 1 - 3 and less like P4.
- The beginning of the game is great and will also appeal to players that are not into RPGs. However, it might feel a bit slow for those used to RPGs. There are lots of things that changed and lots of things that didn't change (Well, duh).
- Persona 5 feels like the logical evolution of the MegaTen series and also like the evolution of Atlus as a company. Again, demon negotiation was praised a lot. This player also liked how the streets are crowded just like in the Raidou games.
- P5 feels fresh in every way. They also praised the story and the characters.
- The game is easily playable and the phantom thief theme matches perfectly with the flashy visuals.
- Persona 5's themes and characters appeal to the college crowd.
- One player wanted to make the unlucky protagonist happy. Story, characters and graphics are great.
- Tokyo feels like the real deal. The battles are just as expected from Persona, but even better.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
The game's atmosphere is closer to Persona 1 - 3 and less like P4.

Oh...you have no idea how happy this makes me. No offense to Persona 4, as I still love that game, but sometimes the way they execute the more lighthearted tone wasn't that good to me.

This is just subjective to me, of course.

Zolo

It's basically what people who played Persona 5 during the demo tour thought of the game. 94.5% of the players thought the game was interesting. The players are most interested in the story of the game and liked the game's characters and music. They also praised the graphics. 97.5% of the demo players plan to preorder the game while noone answered that they don't want to buy the game anymore after playing it.

Some impressions from Tokyo (without spoilers):
- The game is easily playable even by people that haven't played a game in the series so far. Battles have a good flow to them and the map seems interesting as there are lots of intriguing places.
- The story, the music and the graphics are incredible. The return of demon negotiation will probably also pull in lots of the fans of earlier titles. The game's atmosphere is closer to Persona 1 - 3 and less like P4.
- The beginning of the game is great and will also appeal to players that are not into RPGs. However, it might feel a bit slow for those used to RPGs. There are lots of things that changed and lots of things that didn't change (Well, duh).
- Persona 5 feels like the logical evolution of the MegaTen series and also like the evolution of Atlus as a company. Again, demon negotiation was praised a lot. This player also liked how the streets are crowded just like in the Raidou games.
- P5 feels fresh in every way. They also praised the story and the characters.
- The game is easily playable and the phantom thief theme matches perfectly with the flashy visuals.
- Persona 5's themes and characters appeal to the college crowd.
- One player wanted to make the unlucky protagonist happy. Story, characters and graphics are great.
- Tokyo feels like the real deal. The battles are just as expected from Persona, but even better.

Thanks Setsu! Any chance you could do the impressions from the other areas? I can see how the themes might appeal to the college crowd since taking back your future would be appealing to those who are looking at what careers to take and the challenges they may face in that. Of course, a lot of the people who played the previous Persona games would either be in college now or graduated. One thing I also noticed is it seems we have more social links that are adults now compared to previous games.

Setsu00

Thanks Setsu! Any chance you could do the impressions from the other areas? I can see how the themes might appeal to the college crowd since taking back your future would be appealing to those who are looking at what careers to take and the challenges they may face in that. Of course, a lot of the people who played the previous Persona games would either be in college now or graduated. One thing I also noticed is it seems we have more social links that are adults now compared to previous games.

Sure, yes. Regarding the college thing: The player mentioned that they were a high school student when they played P3 and P4 and was apparently anxious that the characters may no longer resonate with them as they are now a college student. They actually say that the game's characters and themes have broad appeal and may be enjoyed by every generation.

Osaka:
#1: 100% of the players thought Persona 5 was interesting
#2: The players from Osaka liked the characters, the music and the story best
#3: 92% of the players wanted to preorder it after playing the game

- The game can be tough, but it's easily enjoyable due to the tutorial.
- It's a must-have for those who enjoyed previous Persona games, but it's also easy to get into the game if haven't played Persona before as the combat and the exploration of the Palace is a lot of fun. They want to know how the story continues.
- The game is loading quickly (Note: They played the PS4 version) and it's super stylish. The graphics are cool and the protagonist seems to be quite talkative. The pink puddle that appears whenever the protagonist moves within the Palace is annoying. The music is so good that this player bought headphones just for P5.
- The battle screen seems intimidating at first, but the UI is incredibly intuitive and the battles are a lot more fun than before. They are also very happy that demon negotiation has returned and are glad they could meet Mokoi again.
- This game seems like a good way to break into the series.
- The UI is smooth and intuitive.
- The button prompts to perform jumps and other special actions within the dungeons are fun. The maps are incredibly huge and it's easy to get lost in them.
- Everything about this game is great. Persona 5 surpasses the previous games in every way.

Sendai:
#1: 100% of the players thought Persona 5 was interesting
#2: The players from Sendai liked the story, the characters and the anime cutscenes best
#3: 92% of the players wanted to preorder it after playing the game

- The game is easy to play even when you didn't play other Persona games before.
- The game is filled to the brim with content. They were given two hours to play the game and this player was sure that they'd be able to finish the prologue within this time, but didn't.
- P5 is polished on every level.
- The interface is great. It also looks like the battles themselves are varied and that it should be possible to enjoy them over a long period of time. The anime sequences are beautiful. The game was so good that they even forgot about the time.
- This player is intrigued by the story, especially how the events of the prologue will be resolved.
(This is referring to the scene with Sae in the prologue video that was previously shown during the last livestream)
The battles are also interesting.
- It's compelling to watch these characters in their struggle against something bigger.
- Persona 5 is way too charming. This player was previously worried about the action portion of the game, but it has completely won them over after trying it out. The story and the music are beautiful.
- The characters are memorable and even the random discussions between them are interesting.
- The game is dark, but also very fun and has some comical sequences to lighten the mood.
- The last player mentions that they didn't think that Persona 5 would be this good. The story is also interesting.

Zolo

Thanks again! I kinda agree about the 'pink puddle' that one person mentioned, but I expect I'll get used to it. It also sounds good if the loading is quick.

Dantis

I don't understand the purpose of the pink puddle. Pretty much everyone I've shown P5 to has asked about it, and I've just been like "...Uh...".

It just looks bad, tbh.

Setsu00

I don't understand the purpose of the pink puddle. Pretty much everyone I've shown P5 to has asked about it, and I've just been like "...Uh...".

It just looks bad, tbh.

Maybe it has something to do with the rain. The opening sequence shows the characters dancing in the rain, some animated sequences are set during rain and rain and other weather phenomena apparently influence the Shadows within Mementos. There's probably some kind of thematic relevance to the puddles, but I'm not particularly fond of them either.

barybll

Banned
I'll give it a shot. Please note that my Japanese is still wip.
1.How does the Persona 5 gameplay look? 94.5% said it's interesting.
2.I'm glad about these features in Persona 5! Best 3 (This is my best guess for this one, as I have no clue as to why it says ここ, hope some Japanese expert will explain this one). Answer1: Something about the atmosphere (need help here as well); Answer2: Magic-like characters; Answer3: Music (This one was easy); Answer4: Graphics (Even easier).
3.How does eveyone feel about playing Persona 5? 97.1% I strongly wish to buy it.

Hope it helps a bit while waiting for someone who know more than me :D

That is probably a bit (read very) biased, considering that those willing to play the demo are those who were already expecting it.

That is probably a bit (read very) biased, considering that those willing to play the demo are those who were already expecting it.

More than that, this is based on the Premium demo, which you specifically had to apply for and which had very limited places available.

So yeah, not surprising that answers are very positive.

Top Bottom