• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona News Stream 2015 Discussion Thread (Read Post #132)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry to ask it (as I am sure it's been asked over and over again), but the OP hasn't been updated at all.

Yeesh, I fail to see how I can update the OP more than I am. At some point, it's on people to actually read what's on there, because I'm pretty sure I'm exposing the info as well as I can. Some keep coming in and asking questions that are answered clearly in it.

Now, about the P4D opening. THE VISUALS ARE AMAZING. I love the art. It's different from P4G's a bit but still focuses on shapes, colours and textures (like TV static or now something similar to carbon) and I looove that. Now I'm pretty sure the UI for Persona 5 will be just amazing as Persona 4 Golden's.

FYI, I'm pretty sure the video they posted for P4D isn't actually the game's opening, but just a video for the opening theme. I'm sure P4D's actual game opening will be a typical anime one, as they've been doing with all of their games.

I don't even know who my favorite character is in P4, they're all on the sam level for me really.

Koromaru however is far and away the best character in P3 of course.

RalchAC

Dude... that guy is Bro tier. He doesnt get angry at anybody even trough everyone is a dick to him. And he sticks to the group even after some kicks to the crotch.

And in the end the only problem he has that they could come up with is jealousy.

I think he deserves to be number 1... at least after all those dickkicks.

I agree that he is one of the most important characters in the game. You even start investigating because of Yosuke. Sometimes I felt he "said" what you probably felt. In that Nanako thing his reaction was probably the most human he could have had.

Plus he invented the Mystery Food X term.he totally deserves some recognition for that.

40detectives

Neo Member
UMMM, so far I've missed any important game/anime announcement?

And btw, I've only played P3 till now, so I wonder... You said Yosuke's a pervert teen, is he much different from Junpei? I found Junpei funny and touching in some way but I'm not sure why people hates Yosuke so much...

is he worse than Junpei or are they similar archetype characters (for their bro MC role) but very different personalities in the end?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Yosuke's main problem is that he's Junpei Mk. II, but with less of a personality.

I kinda feel for the guy. He's constantly getting shit for his dad's shop, his love interest turns out to have hated and used him but he can't shake the feelings he has for her, then she gets murdered! Sure, he has a certain naivety but he's always supportive, at least attempts to keep up a good mood and it's nice to see him yuck it up with Teddie later in the story.

I'm not saying he's a character with Oscar caliber writing, just a cool dude that's very likeable. At least to me.

Also, nurses.

sjack

Banned
Yosuke is the true protagonist of P4. He's actually a consistent and strong figure in organizing and encouraging brain storming in the Investigation Team. The only input Yu actually gives in the original game is when Yosuke turns to you in the end just to hear you say what you think and that's it.

I kinda feel for the guy. He's constantly getting shit for his dad's shop, his love interest turns out to have hated and used him but he can't shake the feelings he has for her, then she gets murdered! Sure, he has a certain naivety but he's always supportive, at least attempts to keep up a good mood and it's nice to see him yuck it up with Teddie later in the story.

I'm not saying he's a character with Oscar caliber writing, just a cool dude that's very likeable. At least to me.

Also, nurses.

I don't dislike Yosuke but his arc feels like such a retread of Junpei's that Yosuke's character loses focus as a result. Forever the wingman, but a poor foil to others. He's outclassed by Teddie and Kanji in almost every way. Junpei also connected better with characters who weren't the MC, including his love interest.

Nah, Yosuke was less "gimicky" a character. He had more redeeming qualities than Junpei and was more grounded, if you ask me.

I honestly do feel the same way bout Yosuke. He felt more like a relatable friend for the most part, with the gay panic with Kanji being an unfortunate choice that soured my overall feelings on the character.

That said I think I like Junpei more despite being a realistic and even if you chose not to acknowledge the gay panic because of how Junpei grows from the start of the series to the end of The Answer. Considering how much of a douche he is to the MC during that one portion of the game, it's pretty impressive how more mature he comes off by the end of it all.

Also, nurses.

Being fair, his shadow reveals that he actually went to the tV World less to avenge her and know true and more because he wanted to feel less bored and do something 'heroic'.

That makes me feel more annoyed when "SAKI SENPAI" stuff comes from him. He had feelings for her, but his motives to invastage the case are not 100% related to her.

Shouta

Yosuke being #1 in P4 probably can be attributed to him having enough for an archetype but not a real personality. He's someone all Japanese classes have at least 1 of, without much more that makes him a unique, individual personality. He's the every goof, basically.

That's part of the reason why I like P3 more than P4. They're archetypes/tropes in P3 but there's a certain amount of nuance to them that really makes them different. P4 unabashedly embraces them and as a result feels a lot more pronounced in a number of ways.

wmlk

I don't dislike Yosuke but his arc feels like such a retread of Junpei's that Yosuke's character loses focus as a result. Forever the wingman, but a poor foil to others. He's outclassed by Teddie and Kanji in almost every way. Junpei also connected better with characters who weren't the MC, including his love interest.

Junpei had connections to his love interest because that's what his entire arc was based on. Yosuke wasn't supposed to have a connection with his love interest.

The problem that I have with Yosuke is that he feels comfortable in his own skin and he never really acknowledges that it enough. He reminds me of Satoshi from Hyouka in that sense, but Satoshi at least feels somewhat slighted that he plays second fiddle. Again, this is a problem with P4 since everyone worships you in that game.

Yosuke being #1 in P4 probably can be attributed to him having enough for an archetype but not a real personality. He's someone all Japanese classes have at least 1 of, without much more that makes him a unique, individual personality. He's the every goof, basically.

That's part of the reason why I like P3 more than P4. They're archetypes/tropes in P3 but there's a certain amount of nuance to them that really makes them different. P4 unabashedly embraces them and as a result feels a lot more pronounced in a number of ways.

I feel like the characters not having nuance is a problem in P4, and the characters do have nuance in P3. It's just that I don't see P3 characters or game written even close to how good P4 is except for Junpei.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Fair point well made. I guess me playing P4G first made me appreciate Yosuke as just Yosuke and not some off-brand Junpei. Ironically I ended up disliking Junpei as a garbage Yosuke when I went back to P3. Funny how that works.

The Capcom game is basically that. Too bad they delisted it.

Well, I kinda meant an RPG. I'm aware of the awesome JoJo fighting game (the old one.)

I can sort of get behind this. But, I'd say that even though the characters are better in P3, the writing in P4 is much improved over P3 which is why I enjoy it more, if that makes any sense.

Yosuke is the true protagonist of P4. He's actually a consistent and strong figure in organizing and encouraging brain storming in the Investigation Team. The only input Yu actually gives in the original game is when Yosuke turns to you in the end just to hear you say what you think and that's it.

Thats kind of untrue. What about:

Being the person that guesses who the actual murder is?

Yu being the person that dissuades everyone from killing Namatame?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Thats kind of untrue. What about:

Being the person that guesses who the actual murder is?

Yu being the person that dissuades everyone from killing Namatame?

Not to mention Yu having the wildcard Persona... Kind of crucial.

Edit: I know it's not part of the textual narrative but Yu (You) having the ability to get and fuse any Persona is a significant contribution to the investigation.

Wow Yosuke at #1 and Kanji at #6?

WTF is wrong with you Japan.

Like I like yosuke, way more than others seem to at least, but still that is unforgivable...

Marie even charting is disgusting in of itself, such a boring character, Dojima should have charted instead..

Fixed, I never like Junpei after the start of P3, he always seemed like such an ass to me.

Please, yosuke was 100x more of a dick than my main man junpei. Junpei feels like more of a character too, yosuke was kinda half baked.

Lunar15

Shouta, I am with you in wishing we could have prevented the character poll from happening in the first place.

At least in a year we'll have new characters to form lists over, I guess.

Fixed, I never like Junpei after the start of P3, he always seemed like such an ass to me.

I assumed Junpei was designed as an assertive jock, and when you see his interactions with Yukari you're meant to either think Yukari needs to lighten up because Junpei's just being a bloke, or think Yukari's right and Stupei should dial it back. In either case it's a strong way to build personality and I don't hate Stupei for making me have to form an opinion about his behavior.

Yosuke on the other hand is a straight up clown and I never really think of him as complex outside of a few melodramatic scenes seen in isolation. Your first serious excursion with him is bookended with jokes about him needing to pee.

Trigger

I don't see Yosuke as an inferior Junpei or Junpei as an inferior Yosuke. They both fill some of the same character tropes, but I think there's more than enough nuance to separate the two of them. Yosuke being #1 doesn't surprise me. He's the kind of character that would be a protagonist in most TV shows or video games.

wmlk

Shouta, I am with you in wishing we could have prevented the character poll from happening in the first place.

At least in a year we'll have new characters to form lists over, I guess.

No. I feel like this is fine.

We're not discussing inane, derogatory terms. People like or dislike these characters and talking about it is fine.

A major problem is that the mods inadvertently stop discussion over the characters by banning people over discussing (jokingly) characters.

Shouta

I feel like the characters not having nuance is a problem in P4, and the characters do have nuance in P3. It's just that I don't see P3 characters or game written even close to how good P4 is except for Junpei.

I can sort of get behind this. But, I'd say that even though the characters are better in P3, the writing in P4 is much improved over P3 which is why I enjoy it more, if that makes any sense.

I generally feel that the P3 writing is equal, if not better than P4. However, the biggest difference between the two, especially when it comes to the characters, is that P4 directly tells you X, where P3 requires you to create an image of who they are based on words and actions without directly saying it. Things aren't spelled out for you with the chars in P3. It's most evident in the S.Links for the main characters and what they deal with.

Lucina

Banned
I generally feel that the P3 writing is equal, if not better than P4. However, the biggest difference between the two, especially when it comes to the characters, is that P4 directly tells you X, where P3 requires you to create an image of who they are based on words and actions without directly saying it. Things aren't spelled out for you with the chars in P3. It's most evident in the S.Links for the main characters and what they deal with.

Hmmm.

Well that is an interesting way of looking at it. I recently played through P3P. I had beaten the game 4 times prior. But hadn't touched it in a while. So I went back. And I kind of found the characters had a bit more "drama" going on, with their plot/issues.

P4 approaches character issues all warm and fuzzy. Whereas the P3's issues are lot more sharp/biting. But it's also why I kind of found Junpei and Yukari annoying at times. I'm not sure which game has better "writing". But I find myself liking P4 overall in terms of liking the actual characters.

But I can totally admit that, it's in large part because the game goes down smoother.

Andrefpvs

This... this just appeared on Twitter (source).

Sp9ukZe.jpg

It might be fake, but it doesn't look like it. EDIT: It's real!

Whoa.

EDIT: Translation:

"Preliminary notice: I will appear in the Nippon Budoukan tonight. - The Phantom"

At the bottom left: "Persona 5 begins"

Jachaos

FYI, I'm pretty sure the video they posted for P4D isn't actually the game's opening, but just a video for the opening theme. I'm sure P4D's actual game opening will be a typical anime one, as they've been doing with all of their games.

Oh I figure it might not be it, or at least not the full video.

Still, the opening is very similar to Persona 4 Golden in that aspect I love. All the intros are good and most have their anime parts (just like this one), but these elements we see in the new video are partly found in most intros too (Persona 3, portable, Persona 4 vanilla and Q as well). Pretty much the only one that doesn't have those elements at least in part during the opening is P3FES (I love it still but not for the same reasons).

The style is most pronounced in the P4D video and in P4G (intro, menu and UI). Both don't have the exact same aesthetic, but the basis is still the same. Lines, shapes and minimalistic representations of objects, elements spinning and a nice use of colours. It's just that it's evolved and changed a bit since Persona 3.

Also, great job on the OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom