• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona series ships 6.9 million copies, Sega talks about their new business model

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The nintendo bias affect can beat out the biggest, most anticipated JRPG in like 5 years?

The nintendo bias affect can beat out the biggest, most anticipated JRPG in like 5 years?
Yes. The Smash effect isn't to be underestimated. Fire Emblem is a bizarrely visible franchise.

Again this gets down to a LTD/Year One discussion. Will its year one beat out FE Fates? Probably not, since again, there's a lot to doubt about its year one sales in the West right now. However I suppose there is a small chance that Persona 5 could somehow hit super-cult or super-hit status and beat out FE Fates in LTD sales, but we'll have to see how it does before we really think about that too much.

vaporeon

That's kind of what I'm saying though. They are fighting for stalemate in Japan and that seems to be a losing battle.

In P5's case, the West has a lot of untapped potential that can more than offset the contraction in the Japanese market. Since Atlus/Sega's resources are fairly limited I think a lot of those marketing dollars might have been better spent in the West. Maybe P5 would end up closer to 350k than 450k in Japan in that case but those sales could have been more than offset in rest of world.

FFXV is different because SE has incredible resources. There is no reason that a company of their size and caliber shouldn't have localized the Judgment demo or put in a better effort to provide cross-language delivery of a lot of the Japanese exclusive livestreams and events.
This is personal speculation, but the vested interest in continuing to market a lot in Japan may be to establish the brand for merchandising reasons, not just video games sales. Plenty of Persona merch and other things..like even a cafe?
Pokemon and Final Fantasy spend a lot on global marketing to get the sales that they do. That would take a a lot of investment and risk from Sega to do this with Persona 5. To stay on topic for this thread still....judging by Sega's annual report, doing something that expensive and risky does not bode well with their current business plan and vision. They are trying to emerge from a downturn and likely going to be cutting costs. :/

Just gonna disagree. Persona has become much more popular over the years. All the spin-offs and fighting games also helped. It will be releasing on a console that has a massive install base as well. The trailers have been reaching people that normally wouldn't play this sort of game.
Remember how Persona 3 and Persona 4 released on the best selling console of all time? That beautiful <1% attachment rate!!
i'm joking

Yes. The Smash effect isn't to be underestimated. Fire Emblem is a bizarrely visible franchise.

Again this gets down to a LTD/Year One discussion. Will its year one beat out FE Fates? Probably not, since again, there's a lot to doubt about its year one sales in the West right now. However I suppose there is a small chance that Persona 5 could somehow hit super-cult or super-hit status and beat out FE Fates in LTD sales, but we'll have to see how it does before we really think about that too much.
I agree with this. Judging from past performance, I do not see Persona 5 exploding as some people believe it will. But that could definitely change if Atlus goes above and beyond with marketing and distribution. It could also very well hit super-cult on its own.

This is personal speculation, but the vested interest in continuing to market a lot in Japan may be to establish the brand for merchandising reasons, not just video games sales. Plenty of Persona merch and other things..like even a cafe?
Pokemon and Final Fantasy spend a lot on global marketing to get the sales that they do. That would take a a lot of investment and risk from Sega to do this with Persona 5. To stay on topic for this thread still....judging by Sega's annual report, doing something that expensive and risky does not bode well with their current business plan and vision. They are trying to emerge from a downturn and likely going to be cutting costs. :/

That's a really good point. I hadn't considered the merchandising which is obviously has a huge effect in Japan compared to rest of the world.

Remember how Persona 3 and Persona 4 released on the best selling console of all time? That beautiful <1% attachment rate!!
i'm joking

I agree with this. Judging from past performance, I do not see Persona 5 exploding as some people believe it will. But that could definitely change if Atlus goes above and beyond with marketing and distribution. It could also very well hit super-cult on its own.

Different times, the audience is bigger now. P3 and P4 also released when PS2 was at the end of it's life. How much did FE sell on Gamecube? I can say with confidence that FE will never reach the numbers that Fates managed. Persona is yet to hit it's peak.

vaporeon

If you're not into anime, then you'll see those outfits and you'll say "what the fuck is that?". The thief outfitts are very... flamboyant.
I really don't think the thief outfits will make or break P5's success? Square manages to sell a ton for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, which tend to have the most ridiculous and idiotic character designs ever? You can sell anything if you market it correctly.

Different times, the audience is bigger now. P3 and P4 also released when PS2 was at the end of it's life. How much did FE sell on Gamecube? I can say with confidence that FE will never reach the numbers that Fates managed. Persona is yet to hit it's peak.
I'm not sure I get this sentence? Fates is a FE game? Are you referring to future installments?
I agree, though. Persona has yet to reach its peak. P5 will have the biggest sales for the series, no doubt about it.

Top Bottom