• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2008 Wii: Official Thread of The Beautiful Game Has Been Reborn!

Branskins

I really may have to try this. I have been waiting for a game that truly uses the wiimote and not some alternative controller option (like the GCN controller).

Mike Works said:
i'm curious to hear from those who prefer the ps3/360 version to the wii version and why. i don't care about CONSOLE WARZ or any of that nonsense, i'm just honestly interested as to why they prefer it.

PS: the defense in this game is driving me f'ing mad

I'm starting to really get the hang of defense. Have you found out the way to control one player at a time? My defense really improved when I started to mix my defense with specific man-marking while contolling an individual player by grabing him with "A" and using Z to slide tackle.

EDIT: as for those asking for impressions on both the PS3 and Wii versions, I've played the PS3 demo and now own the Wii version. So, I'm not sure if that counts as "played both" or not in your eyes. At any rate, I've found that I generally enjoy the Wii version more because 1) it is roughly based off of the absolutely solid PS2 engine and 2) this version allows for a completely different type of gameplay style. I could never go back to passing with a standard controller after having the ability to literally pass anywhere I want to on the field, to whom I want to, making my players make a bazillion type of runs, and being creative while doing it all. The more you grasp the controls, the more you realize how billiant PES can be on the pitch.

Hyllian

This is the best football ever, IMO!

One more move:

- When attacking and only the GK is in front of you, don't shoot with nunchaku, just shake the wiimote. Your player will pass the ball covering the GK.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Would someone with only a rudimentary knowledge of soccer be able to enjoy and get the hang of things?

I mean, I've watched matches and generally know what's going on, but I don't really know any of the more complex intricacies re: passing and making runs, etc.

woodchuck

this game looks amazing. i hope other versions can implement some ideas taken from this game.

i realize it's not the perfect solution, but i'd like in the ps3/360 verisons to have "icon passing" like in basketball games.

where suppose if you press "LB", a bunch of the controller icons pop up over the surrounding players and you can direct a pass that way.

ciccione

Gamecocks625 said:
I'm starting to really get the hang of defense. Have you found out the way to control one player at a time? My defense really improved when I started to mix my defense with specific man-marking while contolling an individual player by grabing him with "A" and using Z to slide tackle.
The more you grasp the controls, the more you realize how billiant PES can be on the pitch.

After playing a while, I actually found to be the offense and defense phases well balanced. Simply, the learning curve of the defense phase is deeper than the other one. You have a mix of options to defend. Remember that for each time you press A you call a defender. Sometimes it's good to have only one defender a time.
I think that is a mistake to compare this game to the PS3/360 versions: the gameplay are too much different.
This game is the first real revolution in terms of gameplay in a soccer game after years. Kudos to Konami. I don't think they will be able to transfer this gameplay on PS3/360 due to the unique capabilities of the wiimote's pointer. The Wii has a winner. For a first departure for the "classic" soccer games it's simply amazing.

fresquito

Yeah, I've stated this over and over. Defense is not broken at all. It's simply much more dificult to get the hang of it.

BTW: Is WiFi region locked? I haven't been able to tell >_<

Chimkey

Nice advert for the game in the uk with ian wright and michael owen playing the game, both actually seem to be really enjoying themselves, could just be good actors. Got my copy pre ordered for friday. Cant wait!

God damn you guys, I'm still waiting for my copy to get here and reading all of this is killing me.

Has the online GAF matches been set up yet?

more/new impressions after a days worth of play:

gotten much better at defense now. defense is actually easier than offense in many ways (at least when it comes to playing the computer), you don't have to do nearly as much. the main reason it seems so hard/broken initially is because the complexity of the offensive game is so intuitive that you assume the defensive side will be too. while the offensive side is more on the run and gun on the fly action side of things, the defensive game is much more like a game of chess.

in previous WE/PES/FIFA games, on defense the player is used to charging the opponent who has the ball (or to intercept a pass), and if unsuccessful, then charging the (next) opponent who has the ball with his next player.

in PES Wii, you usually don't want to charge the opponent. instead, you almost enter a peripheral vision stage of viewing the screen. all you need to do is make sure you have an even amount, if not more of defensive players covering offensive ones, and making sure you aren't giving them any space. so, if you see a man on an open wing without the ball, your first priority is to send a man to cover him- not to take the ball from the opponent's player. once you've set up your general defense and taken away all blatant free space by issuing man to man or zone coverage commands, THEN you focus on the player with the ball.

as mentioned earlier, holding down Z employs an "attack/intercept" mode for your player on defense. i've found that timing the Z press- ie when your player's circle turns red (meaning he's close enough to challenge for the ball) or right after the opponent makes a pass (which causes the man covering the player receiving the ball to jump in the path of the pass) works best.

once you retain possession, it's usually quite easy to keep it when clearing the zone. very rarely do i find myself forced to use the clear (shake nunchuck) option... usually only when there's a scramble in the box.

i've been playing Champion's Road (aside from one match of Mii players with normal sized bodies, which was fucking hilarious ... as an aside, the Mii players height is represented accurately in the game... so my goalie- Chewbacca- was max height, whereas their striker- Gary Coleman- missed about 3 headers :lol ) for the majority, and while i'm unsure how hardcore football (watchers) will receive it, i'm absolutely loving it.

for those unaware, you pick a team full of scrubs, and play a tournament. after each win, you gain both experience (which bumps attributes to each player on your team.. stuff like stamina, accuracy, etc) and 1 or 2 players from the other team.. you don't get to pick the actual players though, you draw a card at random... each card has a clue as to what position the player plays (ie "this guy is good at defense" ... "this guy will dazzle you with footwork", etc), so it's kind of fun seeing who you pick, especially considering some players have higher stats and star power than others.

after the initial tournament, 4 new euro tournaments open up. at the start of each tournament, you learn a new practice set/move.

i don't know if there's any kind of season play, and if there isn't i can see that pissing off hardcore football fans, but i'm really digging Champion's Road. leveling up your characters after each win and giving them new attributes and then seeing them improve on the pitch in the next game is pretty fun. so is stealing a random player from the team you just played and hoping you get a good one.

overall, the more i'm playing this, the more i'm loving it. easily my favorite aspect right now is sending the ball across the field, i cannot stress how smooth this is and how effective it is to open space by doing so. the greatest goals i've scored have all been because of superb passing, and that's exactly what i want in a soccer game.

i can see some people being disappointed that there might not be as many career/season options (there might be, i just honestly haven't checked), a few aspects of the controls could be touched up (ie shooting, possibly defending), and the graphics aren't amazing of course, but i honestly can't see how anyone could prefer the PS3/360 versions to this. the level of control is simply unparalleled. again, i'd love to hear from those who prefer the PS3/360 version after giving the Wii version a couple of hours of playtime, because i just can't fathom it as a soccer fan.

as an aside, for all of you who haven't picked up the game yet, but are going to soon:

FIRST THING YOU DO IS GO TO PRACTICE/TUTORIAL MODE

i'm not the kind of gamer who does tutorial modes either, but seriously, this game will drive you nuts until you do so. just do it. it's easy and goes by quickly and is well explained. and once you start going insane over defending, come back into this thread and read the start of this post again. it starts making sense. seriously.

quite possibly the best soccer game ever. THIS is what i imagined games being like after the Wii was announced. this.

+Aliken+

Picking the game this week.
I was already super hyped about the game and now thanks to Mike's post I would kill for it...

Happy to here about the defensive play.
The way you've put it makes defensive play more tacticle, more realistic.

What about online? The 360 and I guess also the Ps3 version suffered a great deal.

ciccione

Mike Works said:
cut
Quite possibly the best soccer game ever. THIS is what i imagined games being like after the Wii was announced. this.

I don't know if most of the people will agree with your conclusion. I don't care so much: even for me this seems to be the best soccer game ever. The more I play, the more I enjoy it.

+Aliken+ said:
Happy to here about the defensive play.
The way you've put it makes defensive play more tactile, more realistic.

What about online? The 360 and I guess also the Ps3 version suffered a great deal.
The thing with the defensive game is it's not perfect. It's not necessarily flawed, but it is different. There are times when you'll find yourself frustrated that your players aren't checking their opponents- this is both realistic and not.

Basically a lot of actions in the game- checking opponents, winning headers, ball control, sprinting- are all decided on individual player stats. So if a certain player has better strength and agility, he is more likely to win a header. If your defenseman has a high defensive skill rating and is going up against someone with poor ball control, then he's more likely to win the ball in a challenge. However, if someone like Ronaldo (the effeminate one, not the hamburgler) is speeding down the wing and you only have an average defender covering him, he's more likely to get past him.

Again, this is both good and bad. On one level it's more realistic when it comes to real life players and their respective skill set. In real life, there's a good chance a player like Ronaldinho could feint and then blow past a normal defender.

On the other hand, it can be very frustrating to properly position a defender- or even two- against an attacker and still have him get by them. Sometimes there's absolutely nothing you can do. This rarely results directly in a goal, as players' defense seems to harden closer to the box, but it can result in an odd man rush which can get you in trouble.

There are two minds of thought to this approach in the game. It's sometimes difficult to accept, as this is the game that offers "total control", and yet you have less control when it comes to individual players on defense than the previous console versions. Even after hours of playing, I STILL find myself instinctively moving the analog stick when I'm on defense.

Though all of my impressions are still early, I feel if they tightened up a few aspects of control- mainly defending and heading and possibly shooting, the game would be near perfect. For defending, I personally loved the Winning Eleven style of holding down pressure at the right time, I thought it was perfect. I think the developers could allow individual player control with the old style of challenging while still retaining the overall defensive model of all player control.

For heading, I'd like to see it based less on stats and more on timing. Same with shooting, although I'm uncertain what the best approach to this would be. Right now the other and previous console versions take an action approach (shot based on aim, though aiming isn't perfect), the Wii version takes an RPG approach (shot based on player's stats), and I'd like to see a meld, more of an Action RPG hybrid.

But these complaints are minor and almost expected with such a new approach to the genre. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more issues in the gameplay, as these flaws are greatly overshadowed by the numerous intuitive revolutionary aspects of control.

For the record, I haven't tried online yet as I wanted to at least become competent with the control before trying it out, but I did notice in the instruction manual that you can actually connect through Wii Connect and send your Champion's Road custom team to your friends for them to play in their Champion's Road tournament, which is pretty cool. Kind of sounds like the approach Spore is going to be taking.

ciccione said:
I don't know if most of the people will agree with your conclusion. I don't care so much: even for me this seems to be the best soccer game ever. The more I play, the more I enjoy it.
This is why I'm wanting to hear from PES 360/PS3 fans who've tried the Wii version and prefer the former, because I honestly can't comprehend going back to the older "classic" style of control after an hour of playing PES Wii. I could maybe see those who absolutely need Career mode or something choosing the other version, but for any points that one could deduct from the Wii version for the different defensive control and the stat based aspects of gameplay, the player movement and passing control far eclipses the gameplay of any other version of PES/WE or any soccer game ever for that matter.

It's almost to the point of wanting to go into a PS3/360 PES thread and asking for those who've played the Wii version why they prefer the other version, because I simply can't understand it.

ciccione

Mike Works said:
...But these complaints are minor and almost expected with such a new approach to the genre. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more issues in the gameplay, as these flaws are greatly overshadowed by the numerous intuitive revolutionary aspects of control.

For the record, I haven't tried online yet as I wanted to at least become competent with the control before trying it out, but I did notice in the instruction manual that you can actually connect through Wii Connect and send your Champion's Road custom team to your friends for them to play in their Champion's Road tournament, which is pretty cool. Kind of sounds like the approach Spore is going to be taking.
I actually expected more flaws for a such new gameplay: a few aspects of the game can be optimized, but overall, the game seems almost perfectly balanced.
I feel the amount of the unlockables in this game is very high and important. The mini Mii match is exilarathing!!!

Fredescu

Mike Works said:
It's almost to the point of wanting to go into a PS3/360 PES thread and asking for those who've played the Wii version why they prefer the other version, because I simply can't understand it.
FIFA/PES/etc are the party games of my social circle, so no local co-op means it won't get a look in really. I'm not even sure if co-op would be possible with PES Wii.

darkjacob

Banned
This game looks freaking sweet, but a few questions. Hows the online? (is it better then that shit we got in the PS3 \ 360 release) and does this have more game modes and stadiums then the next-gen versions?

I'm seriously thinking of selling my 360 copy of this game for this.:)

Awesome.

My individual-and-unique-for-this-game-friend-code is 3093 6994 8487.

Anyone up for some? I'm still discovering intricacies since I got it today, but I figure playing people is the best way to get better.

EDIT: I wish I could give Konami some kudos in person. It takes integrity to put this kind of product out.

I had been playing on the default difficulty and been winning by about 2 goals each game. I bumped it up to Professional and played with England vs. Portugal. My first goal was a cross into the box where Carrick chested it down and performed a killer half volley....thought I was doing good.....and then Portugal scored 6 straight goals on me. :lol

fresquito

I've started playing championship road. So far the mode seems quite interesting and well thought. For the first time ever, I'm playing with the Ordaz, Espimas, Macco, Castolo and the like and not feeling like there's no heaven.

I mean, they're obviously bad players, it's so evident. But you can actually make some good games.

Really awesome game, the more I play, the more I can't look back to old PES.

Batongen

Banned
Battersea Power Station: I added you, so if you're up for a game sometime....

my specific friend code for the game is: 1118 0151 2944

The Hermit

If it wasn´t for Smash I would be playing this non stop... :(

Since I´m gonna be eliminated in both SSBB tournaments today, I think I´ll focus more on this... I wish my bro would be here, he´s crazy about soccer games.

Vard

I read through the thread and I'm a little confused... does the game have no co-op whatsoever, or is there no co-op online only? I'm hoping I can have a friend over and at least play the game co-op locally.

fresquito

Vard said:
I read through the thread and I'm a little confused... does the game have no co-op whatsoever, or is there no co-op online only? I'm hoping I can have a friend over and at least play the game co-op locally.
No co-op at all.

Wow, I'm loving Championship Road.

After all the years of worn-out Master League, Championship Read feels like a breath of fresh air. I like the melt of arcade and RPG elements. You get to do different leagues, and unlock new abilities by completing secondary missions inside the matches themselves. Then there's the recruiting from rivals based on vague descriptions on the back of a card. And the direct reflection of the score on how many cards you can pick up.

And the RPG elements are much, much, much improved over PES Master League. There're not many different abilities and by playing with players you get to improve their stats and "buy" new special abilities. It's so ingenious, it's odd they didn't include this before.

Now, I still will miss Master League and really hope they include it in the next iteration. But I like me some Championship Road. I'd like to see a totally revisioned Master League, with this RPG elements fully realised, a good transfer system and some clever economic system.

But for now Championship Road will do the trick. THis game is more awesome the more you play. I wonder if it will ever stop increasing its awesomeness, because it could well turn into my fave Wii game if things continue like this for a long time. It's sure's gonna be one of my most played.

Vard said:
The game has 2 player versus, but no co op. Since you're controlling your entire team on the fly, it wouldn't make much sense for 2 people to do it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kinda wish I had picked this up instead of the PS3 version last year, no time for it now but damn if this won't be the version to get next year. Here's hoping they're not as lackadaisical in the annual updates as Team Seabass has become.

fresquito

AstroLad said:
Kinda wish I had picked this up instead of the PS3 version last year, no time for it now but damn if this won't be the version to get next year. Here's hoping they're not as lackadaisical in the annual updates as Team Seabass has become.
To be honest, after three weeks of intense playing, I can't think of many things I would include in the 2009 edition.

A Run button is a must. A more aggressive defense and active defensive AI could very well be in. A retooled free kick system (nothing like the old one, I preffer this one, even when it's automatic, your rival never knows if your shooting or passing).

A 360 degrees run control is needed as well. At this time, like in every PES to date, you only run 8 directions with the ball holder. On the other side, free runs work like a charm.

A reworked Master League. Totally revamped, with the RPG elements from Championship Road, where you have direct input on the developement of your characters. A good economic system, where you can't buy a new Henry by winning 15 matches. And a good trade system, where you know what the other team asks for the player, how much money the players asks and a lot of other things that have been broken like forever.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fresquito said:
To be honest, after three weeks of intense playing, I can't think of many things I would include in the 2009 edition.

A Run button is a must. A more aggressive defense and active defensive AI could very well be in. A retooled free kick system (nothing like the old one, I preffer this one, even when it's automatic, your rival never knows if your shooting or passing).

A 360 degrees run control is needed as well. At this time, like in every PES to date, you only run 8 directions with the ball holder. On the other side, free runs work like a charm.

One thing to work on would be the graphics--they're still using the PS2 assets right? But that's probably asking for way too much. Gameplay wise obviously I can't comment. Funny that in one year the Wii version appears to have become the best. As cool and innovative as it sounds, I attribute a lot of this to the absolute disarray Team Seabass has been in for over four years. Now being stuck between gens has made things even worse. Glad to see there's at least one next-gen version, but I do have to say I'll miss co-op.

fresquito

Well, yeah, better graphics is always nice, but I don't really care very much. THe camera is so far away that you can't see the faces of the players, so not a big worry on detail.

Animations could use some improvements, and image quality too, but graphics aren't a reason why I'd wait six months to get 2009 version when 2008 is totally awesome.

Edit: The innovation of this game comes from a mix between the creative minds at Konami having fantastic ideas, their talented people realising them with brilliance, Konami putting the money and time to offer something worth and Nintendo offering a new interface that offers a way to play football games that can't be donde in other consoles.

When people syas they hope some aspects of the Wii versions are included unto other versions, I can't but chuckle. Only things that can be transferred over are options and Championship Road. There's not a single new gameplay feature that can be trasferred without crippling it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fresquito said:
Well, yeah, better graphics is always nice, but I don't really care very much. THe camera is so far away that you can't see the faces of the players, so not a big worry on detail.

Animations could use some improvements, and image quality too, but graphics aren't a reason why I'd wait six months to get 2009 version when 2008 is totally awesome.

Oh yeah, I'm not avoiding buying this b/c of the game's merits. Just so happens I'm completely burnt out on PES thanks to PES 2007 PS2 and PES 2008 PS3 and just have too much other stuff to play to get into such a deep game. Frankly I did not expect it to turn out as well as it seems to have turned out, but I'm glad the series is rejuvenated b/c FIFA has never done it for me and regular PES, though I still enjoy the core mechanic, has just gotten almost insultingly stale.

Ive been playing this the whole afternoon and i wanted to ask/notice a couple of things:

- Can you run in this game?
- Is the a.i. clever enough? On the normal difficulty level the defense (on both sides) tends to have trouble following the action
- I can't get used to the dribble actions and the elaborate passing options
- Has anyone unlocked any Mii specific mini games or elements?

thanks for the answers, in advance.

Back to testing the game, really interesting though

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Ive been playing this the whole afternoon and i wanted to ask/notice a couple of things:

- Can you run in this game?
- Is the a.i. clever enough? On the normal difficulty level the defense (on both sides) tends to have trouble following the action
- I can't get used to the dribble actions and the elaborate passing options
- Has anyone unlocked any Mii specific mini games or elements?

thanks for the answers, in advance.

Back to testing the game, really interesting though

Yes, you can run on both offense and defense. Click on a player with A and drag him (hold down A and you can control him in any direction). The further you drag, the fast he will run. You can only walk with the analog stick.

In terms of difficulty, bump it to the next level (Professional). I'm getting my butt handed to me after I started to dominate on the regular level. The A.I. is more agressive.

As for dribbling and passing, I would suggest you read the manual. There is a wealth of moves listed in the manual. Then, go into Free Training and practice. It's the only way to drill the controls into your brain so that you are not thinking "ok, how do I do this again?" in normal play.

You can unlock the Mii mode in Champions Road. Not sure how, but play that mode to unlock things such as the Mii mode.

On a side note, I scored a freaking brilliant diving header with Gerrard. I really want to find a way to upload it and show it to you guys. I crossed the ball to Owen just outside the box, and while the ball was on it's way to Owen, I dragged Gerrard into an open space into the box and made Owen head the ball towards Gerrard just a little ways ahead of him. Gerrard then dove and blasted the ball in the upper 90. Yes, I saved that goal to watch again.

fresquito said:

A reworked Master League. Totally revamped, with the RPG elements from Championship Road, where you have direct input on the developement of your characters. A good economic system, where you can't buy a new Henry by winning 15 matches. And a good trade system, where you know what the other team asks for the player, how much money the players asks and a lot of other things that have been broken like forever.

One thing I'd like to know...is it possible to make long passes which miss their target / go out of play or do they all land with laser precision if you aim in the right place, regardless of the passing ability of the player?

Just interested, as it'll kill the game as a realistic experience for me if so but I'm still looking forward to picking it up this weekend regardless. :)

amm

got the game yesterday. played a few games with my friend and really started to enjoy it once i had gotten used to the controls (did not take long). it's really fun. seems like going back to the standard controls on playstation/xbox will be boring. it's fun pointing to which teammate you are going to pass to.

anyone know of any patches yet to re-name and edit team names to the proper names, or am i gonna have to do this manually?

TheDrowningMan said:
One thing I'd like to know...is it possible to make long passes which miss their target / go out of play or do they all land with laser precision if you aim in the right place, regardless of the passing ability of the player?

Just interested, as it'll kill the game as a realistic experience for me if so but I'm still looking forward to picking it up this weekend regardless. :)

No laser precision here. Beckham can put it where he wants to, and there are others who over shoot, miss it wide, under shoot, etc. It has everything to do with the players ratings.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can someone check if it is possible to copy the game's option file/save?

That'll lead to being able to use a downloaded save edited with the proper player names/teams etc.

DoubleTap

I just finished playing for about an hour. I'm finally getting the hang of defense. I just found out that the defensive man closest to the ball handler isn't always there to simply put pressure, but I can "drag" him to either shadow the guy or even anticipate where the dribble will go and cut him off. I guess that's why there's an arrow on his blue circle, who knew!

Oh yeah Champions Road is addicting as hell. I thought the card system in UEFA Champions league was pretty good, but this is how you outdo it.

Vard

Mike Works said:
The game has 2 player versus, but no co op. Since you're controlling your entire team on the fly, it wouldn't make much sense for 2 people to do it.
Yeah, even though I haven't played it yet I can see how that makes since due to the control scheme. Fair enough, I think I'll still get this eventually.

darkjacob

Banned
Mike Works said:
i'm curious to hear from those who prefer the ps3/360 version to the wii version and why. i don't care about CONSOLE WARZ or any of that nonsense, i'm just honestly interested as to why they prefer it.

PS: the defense in this game is driving me f'ing mad

I doubt anyone would, seriously. PES 2008 is the worst PES in years. (for the 360 \ PS3) and the online play is complete garbage.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dash Kappei said:
Can someone check if it is possible to copy the game's option file/save?

That'll lead to being able to use a downloaded save edited with the proper player names/teams etc.
I'd like to know this as well.

amm

okay, i'm seriously starting to love this game. i think this is the most fun i've had with the wii since launch. i'm so glad i bought it. i've been waiting for this game since launch and am glad that they revamped it as much as they did. it was my favorite game on ps2. i'm still messing with the basic moves with nothing fancy yet, but i'm shaping up nicely. controls are smooth and great. on the negatives, i'm not a graphics whore in the least, but they are laughably bad in this game. ah well, can't win them all. it's not that big of a deal either.

Arde5643

There's a huge sense of irony here that the best version of one of the most in depth and complex traditional sports game is in the Wii and actually is one of the best versions thanks due to the Wiimote controller.

Yeah, my mind is boggled as well...

amm said:
okay, i'm seriously starting to love this game. i think this is the most fun i've had with the wii since launch. i'm so glad i bought it. i've been waiting for this game since launch and am glad that they revamped it as much as they did. it was my favorite game on ps2. i'm still messing with the basic moves with nothing fancy yet, but i'm shaping up nicely. controls are smooth and great. on the negatives, i'm not a graphics whore in the least, but they are laughably bad in this game. ah well, can't win them all. it's not that big of a deal either.

your impressions made me buy this game for 35$ on amazon.ca
jeerk

Model 500

What the hell, I can't remember when I've been this hyped to spend hours & hours in the Tutorial and Practise modes :lol

I hope my local dealer gets it today..

Top Bottom