• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2008 Wii: Official Thread of The Beautiful Game Has Been Reborn!

gandm

Annoying Old Party Man said:
it is true that when you learn the system well enough, the a.i. doesn't seem to be able to keep up, i am winning 6 and 7-0 during the last few games. I haven't upped the difficulty yet though, that's why i asked myself
Since I've just gotten the game today and didn't manage to play more than a handful of matches yet, take this for what it's worth:

I started the Champions Road mode and won the second match easily 8-0, without even trying at the end (I'm playing on regular three stars difficulty at the moment). And from the two online matches I've played I know that I'm not actually that good (by the way, the online play was totally smooth - no lag. It does take a while to find a match though...).

Maybe the mode just starts out easy, I've got no idea.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
guess I can feedback tomorrow, but guys...up the difficulty and find out!!

I hope this can rekindle my PES love, the 2008 games all feel lame, it uesd to kinda FEEL like football...but not anymore...

Annoying Old Party Man said:
it is true that when you learn the system well enough, the a.i. doesn't seem to be able to keep up, i am winning 6 and 7-0 during the last few games. I haven't upped the difficulty yet though, that's why i asked myself

Up the difficulty. The AI is more aggresive, and you will get beat. Normal difficulty is good for grasping the controls and nature of the game, though.

Ok, i moved to division 2 and i'm getting my ass handed over to me. From wins of 8-0 to draws and losses, i ended up 4th in the tournament.

There are still obvious issues with the a.i., notably the defense line, but the game gets harder, that's for sure.

amm

been playing on 3*'s on champions road (which is great) and have won every match, but it has gotten harder as i've progressed. i just played my first online match and won 2-0! there was no lag at all and gameplay went smoothly. very impressed.

i seriously have not played my wii this much since i got it at launch.
i'm stoked for mario kart wii also!

Amir0x

Banned
Well I picked this up. Now, I cannot believe I am going to say this. And I probably won't say it about anything on the Wii ever again, but...

...for once in the systems god forsaken lifetime, it has a game which actually substantively improves from applying wiimote. YES, I said it. As a life long Winning Eleven/PESer, this has surpassed the 360 version I played and the previous PES versions for sheer versatility of control. Any real fan of this soccer series owes it to themselves to get this version, and even if their mind tells them it's a bad idea, force themselves to do it because here is one franchise that has made a LEAP.

A fucking leap.

The greatest soccer series ever, really, which I was actually perfectly content with... which I went into this Wii version with the highest order of cynicism probably EVER... has won me over.

I... I'm honestly shocked. Well, there's a first time for everything.

gandm

amm said:
been playing on 3*'s on champions road (which is great) and have won every match, but it has gotten harder as i've progressed. i just played my first online match and won 2-0! there was no lag at all and gameplay went smoothly. very impressed.

i seriously have not played my wii this much since i got it at launch.
i'm stoked for mario kart wii also!
Same here - I played yet another online match without any lag. What's annoying though is that there is no possibility to communicate at all - at least some buttons to give basic feedback like "hurry up" during halftime break would have been nice.

Oh and to whoever asked about copying the save file: You can't.

amm

online communication would rule so much, but i expected that it wouldn't be included. maybe next year? a headset would be awesome.

in regards to the option file, all i did was rename the premiereship to the correct names, which can be found on the pes wikipedia page. emblems and kits would be nice, but are not a big deal to me. all the player names are already correct.

Datschge

Got the game today (didn't expect to get it to be available before tomorrow, guess German shops don't strictly follow official release dates). Haven't been hyped that much for a single game since the SNES age (being lapsed and all).

I had my expectations regarding gameplay designs, and so far I haven't been disappointed. I still need time to get more accustomed to the full freedom of possibilities as after the first couple games there still are regularly cramped situations which makes me feel more overwhelmed than I like to admit. Getting to the point of mastering them all should be a pure joy.

This is what I have the Wii for.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Amir0x said:
Well I picked this up. Now, I cannot believe I am going to say this. And I probably won't say it about anything on the Wii ever again, but...

...for once in the systems god forsaken lifetime, it has a game which actually substantively improves from applying wiimote. YES, I said it. As a life long Winning Eleven/PESer, this has surpassed the 360 version I played and the previous PES versions for sheer versatility of control. Any real fan of this soccer series owes it to themselves to get this version, and even if their mind tells them it's a bad idea, force themselves to do it because here is one franchise that has made a LEAP.

A fucking leap.

The greatest soccer series ever, really, which I was actually perfectly content with... which I went into this Wii version with the highest order of cynicism probably EVER... has won me over.

From what I've seen described of the system, does anyone think this sort of control scheme can work for other sports? Basketball and hockey maybe?

ciccione

So far, only two Wii games really made a revolution by adding a new gameplay dimension: Wii Sports and this one. The soccer games only improved AI and graphics in the last few years. Thanks to the wiimote, we have a global soccer simulator: from now on, we have full control on our team. This is a small, big revolution. Kudos to Konami.

m14

XiaNaphryz said:
From what I've seen described of the system, does anyone think this sort of control scheme can work for other sports? Basketball and hockey maybe?
It would be brilliant for basketball I think.

farnham

Banned
I'm getting this tomorrow because of all the positive buzz about this game..

Amir0x said:

A fucking leap.

welcome to wii sports

Amir0x

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:

I don't see why some of the lessons learned in PES cannot be applied to other sports. It wouldn't always work precisely as well as this, but certainly many team sports can apply tweaked versions of the mechanics and come out very well.

farnham said:
welcome to wii sports

let's not derail this thread with talk of the atrocious Wii Sports, when here we have a fully featured sports game that doesn't tone down any of its strategy and complexity to cater to the mouth breathing masses.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm sorry that you thought I was "trying" something, I didn't bring up that awful game. I was trying to make sure this thread wasn't further tainted by such Ninty embarrassments.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
ok I'm getting this baby, trading in my PS3 PES (wonder if I'll regret that... )!! gaf league needs to happen.

Amir0x said:

A fucking leap.

Well metroid prime 3 already made dual analog fps experiences outdated. The differece here is that this being a Playstation Franchise might get more attention....

Amir0x

Banned
kaizoku said:
ok I'm getting this baby, trading in my PS3 PES (wonder if I'll regret that... )!! gaf league needs to happen.

Like I said, I played the 360 version. Don't know if the PS3 version is worse than that (I'm assuming it is, given third party track records) but... and I say this knowing just how cynical I was going into the Wii version... the Wii version beats the 360 version. The 360 version doesn't really have great graphics in the first place, so the difference there IS actually negated by the wondrous control advancement seen here. And to be perfectly frank, I don't think it could be replicated by a standard controller. This is what developers needed to do from the start to prove the wiimote concept.

It is actually the closest thing I've seen yet to a proof of concept for the wiimote.

Bluemercury: The difference there being, mouse+kb made dual analog and wiimote controls outdated since time began. So nobody cared.

legend166

Thread title needs to be changed to include '(Amir0x approved)'.

Also, one quick question: you can have more than one Champions Road going at once, right? Both my brother and I will be playing this, so I don't want to share. I know it's a simple question, but the amount of games that don't do this suck. I'm looking at you Pokemon (yes I know it's an evil plan by Nintendo to get people to buy their own copy).

Model 500

Amir0x said:
Bluemercury: The difference there being, mouse+kb made dual analog and wiimote controls outdated since time began. So nobody cared.

Seriously man, let's not go there in this thread..you should've known you're getting lists of great Wiimote enhanced games thrown at you.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not sure where you don't want me to go, but I'm sure it's some grotesque place where Nintendo fans go to breed in their disgusting hives. Regardless, this is a PES thread so if you're done worrying about me going 'there' we can continue with this conversation.

Amir0x said:

Well the difference between mouse and keyboard to the wii is not even remotely the same as the wii versus dual analog.

Amir0x

Banned
you're right about that, Bluemercury! They're not the same, difference between M+K is much larger. You guys really must like my negativity though, even when I'm positive you want me to focus on what I hate.

Amir0x said:
you're right about that, Bluemercury! They're not the same, difference between M+K is much larger. You guys really must like my negativity though, even when I'm positive you want me to focus on what I hate.

I dont really care what you think, the fact is metroid prime 3 controls are superior to any fps controls youll find on any other console.....just stating the fact that is....:X....so no, this not the first game to prove the console...

m14

legend166 said:
Stop arguing about retarded crap that shouldn't be in this thread and answer my question about Champions Road.
I would imagine its just a question of save space. So you could have as many games saved as memory will allow.

dangrib

my copy will be there for me when i get home from work!!!

for people who have the game already. should i do a training exercise first to get used to the controls or go straight into a game? btw im an accomplished PES player. its the game ive played the most throughout the years

also whats the difficulty like on 5/6 stars (top player)?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I will repeatedly visit and haunt this thread until i find some european gaffers to play with me.

for people who have the game already. should i do a training exercise first to get used to the controls or go straight into a game? btw im an accomplished PES player. its the game ive played the most throughout the years

If you play the game as it wants to be played you have some out of the box tutorial which you should play. Everything else is obligatory but you will probably miss some of the more complicated moves because they are not that "intuitive" especially in defense.

also whats the difficulty like on 5/6 stars (top player)?

Havent read the rest of the thread and therefore if already told, but its waaaay easier than pes 6,5,4 or 3 (the ones i played for sure about 1000 hours with a friend over the years) I havent unlocked the 6th difficulty and i am messing with the 4th while i am still trying to get used to the more complicated stuff. The basic control is with some exceptions though already hammered into my brain.
5/6 is still "easy" but you should get some frustrating matches when youre still learning the basics.

Does this version have all the editing options? Can you edit the logos for the teams and leagues? Strips?

No not ALL editing options. As far as i saw... you can change the names of the clubs, the name of the player and at a small amount the shirts. you have like... 15 options to chose from. Oh and in champions road you are more or less stuck with the name youre given when you choose a city. (dont know about the other options but i guess its not that different) So my mighty mighty Bosstone...team is called "Hamburg". awesome eh?

And NOW back to my Question
WHO IS PLAYING THIS ONLINE IN EUROPE ON A EUROPEAN WII T____T

(european) "Freundescode" :

Toma

0259 0245 3656

send me a message with your friend code please so i can add you =)

amm

it automatically starts you off with the training although you can opt out of it. i would definitely recommend it and it's not very long at all. there's more in depth training later, but you should learn the basics.

Toma said:
No not ALL editing options. As far as i saw... you can change the names of the clubs, the name of the player and at a small amount the shirts. you have like... 15 options to chose from. Oh and in champions road you are more or less stuck with the name youre given when you choose a city. (dont know about the other options but i guess its not that different) So my mighty mighty Bosstone...team is called "Hamburg". awesome eh?
Ah damn, really wanted all the kits and emblems correct.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Amir0x said:
I don't see why some of the lessons learned in PES cannot be applied to other sports. It wouldn't always work precisely as well as this, but certainly many team sports can apply tweaked versions of the mechanics and come out very well.
Well, any game that has a semblence of similarity to the flow of soccer can probably get the same treatment I would think. Hockey is the obvious one, basketball can work as well I'd think. Same with lacrosse and polo. Not so much baseball or football, as those aren't in constant flow like the other sports mentioned. Maybe volleyball?

Dodgeball might also be neat if done imaginatively. :D

If anything, I hope Konami gets other sports dev teams thinking about different control schemes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
XiaNaphryz said:

Basically for every other sport in my opinion. handball, hockey are nearly the same to soccer in that respect. and with the focus on automatically hitting the goal with a shot "waving nunchuck" basketball shouldnt be a problem either. I would say every sports game where you can scream at people to get them the fuck somewhere else profits from this new control style. To maintain control over every player on the field is just so intuitive that I cant really imagine an impossible to do 2-team sport.

My guess there will be a Pes Wii 2009 with similar controls and similar everything. And after that could some EA copyish things been released. May it basketball, handball or a straight soccer clone. Either way they will see that someone did a great job with inventing an innovative idea for a wii sports game, now they can start ripping it off.

Toma

The Friendly Monster said:
Ah damn, really wanted all the kits and emblems correct.

Nope sry to dissapoint you there. Had the same hope. Guess it has something to do with the Wii's storage capacity. I remember the PES PS2 saves as being not the smallest =)

Toma

legend166 said:
Holy crap, I just realised.

An Aussie Rules game with these controls would be AMAZING.

AMAZING I TELL YOU.

?

edit: dp
why are you so slow? otherwise it wouldnt have been a dp =p

Toma said:
Nope sry to dissapoint you there. Had the same hope. Guess it has something to do with the Wii's storage capacity. I remember the PES PS2 saves as being not the smallest =)
Ah well, I'll still get it I think, cheers.

I want a Wii cricket game.

Toma

so, should i make a PES Wii thread in the Online Forum or should we post friend codes here?

Well the first thing i did was looking into the matchup forum whether the pes 2008 thread is made up for small minions like us, which it isnt.
But thats what the matchup forum is there for =) And the threads arent sinking that fast there. So its more likely people will find out where to get the friend code info if they want to join.
Just make sure to mention in the OP that everybody has to state what country's version/wii he is playing.
Thankies =) I was thinking about that too :D

Toma

legend166 said:
Aussie Rules Football is a sport. The biggest in Australia, in fact. Well, aside from Cricket.

erm... Why havent I heard of this? Is this some kind of football with some special rules? And I am too lazy to get my info out of the web so sry for bothering you with my insatiable inquisitiveness. (<- looked that word up... wtf? who invents words like that Oo )

pgtl_10

Guys give Amirox some slack. He said something positive about Wii.

It's one small step for Amirox, one giant leap for GAF.

legend166

Toma said:
erm... Why havent I heard of this? Is this some kind of football with some special rules? And I am too lazy to get my info out of the web so sry for bothering you with my insatiable inquisitiveness. (<- looked that word up... wtf? who invents words like that Oo )

It's only played in Australia. Here's a good video, although chances are you'll have no idea what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_hqosNvv5E

The reason it would be so awesome is that even moreso than soccer/football, is that it is all about space.

Amir0x said:

A fucking leap.

I think you did this with SMG, too.

I'm not saying that as a negative though.

Oh, and EA is still too stupid for not coming up with this kind of control scheme with both h\NHL and NFL for the Wii.

Too stupid.

Toma

pgtl_10 said:
Guys give Amirox some slack. He said something positive about Wii.

It's one small step for Amirox, one giant leap for GAF.

Okay time to ask that finally.. Ive been lurking GAF since its non mass appeal days when the forum was nothing more that some undistinguishable links on a plain background. Why keep people still nitpicking on stuff like that?
I respect amirox's opinion and the ones of every other gaffer. Especially if it comes down to games or consoles. Not everybody has the same liking.
I havent played against him on anything, I havent met him and I guess neither do most of the other gaffers here. So why keep talking about some gaffers on here like there is nothing else in a thread when they arrive and say something you dont expect? You couldnt believe they have their own opinion and arent allowed to move from that just one small step or they might lose there invincible god status to you? I pretty much like amirox and all the other gaffers for what they are saying. But why the hell are people keep doing this?
Do you need something to believe in? Some GAF myths to clinge onto to not lose your mind?
My sincere apologies... I cant get it.

Oh and its 3:27 AM over here. I guess otherwise I wouldnt have written stuff like that.

Edit for the ones who still read that:
I am really interested in why people keep doing this. If someone thinks he knows pm me =) We dont have to spam the thread about that.

Top Bottom