• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2018 gamescom Trailer

Blablurn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0FCfnmlEwI

Demo is coming August 30th

cc2BMKV.jpg

Jimrpg

Still no steam store page for China, India, Malaysia and Japan. Come on Konami, you do this to us every year. Just put it up with the rest of the world.

Odds on Neymar being in the Barca team upon release?

I played a bit of the online beta and really enjoyed it. I've bought PES ahead of FIFA for the past couple of years now and will be doing the same this year (unless FIFA turns out to be phenomenal).

Edit: No Arsenal on the demo. Have they lost the licence for them?

Sweep14

Odds on Neymar being in the Barca team upon release?

I played a bit of the online beta and really enjoyed it. I've bought PES ahead of FIFA for the past couple of years now and will be doing the same this year (unless FIFA turns out to be phenomenal).

Edit: No Arsenal on the demo. Have they lost the licence for them?

Arsenal was in trailer as well as Poland, Belgium, French and German national teams yet not announced.

elfinke

From Pierre Luigi Collina to this fucking cunt on the cover. At least it isn't Aguero I guess. Unbelievable. Given PES3 had Collina's signature on it, there must exist out there a mock-up of the PES18 cover with... well you know where I'm going with this joke.

Nice trailer though, I'm keen (again) for a new footy game.

Okada

Looks amazing, really can't wait for this.

I find it insane that you guys give a shit who's on the cover.

Sorry if it has been known but do we have informations on the PC port ? Will it be based on the PS4 version ?

It's the same as the next gen versions this year.

You won't play a game because of the cover?

As a general rule a cover isn't that important to me. But if I was 50/50 about buying a game and then saw they'd put a racist cheat who bites people on the cover, probably at considerable expense, that would influence my decision about forking over my money in that instance.

ffvorax

Suarez on the cover -> No buy.
I can stand rivals teams, rival players... but then there is Suarez like players.
The opposite of the meaning of fairplay.

I can live without an iteration of PES for another year I guess... will try the demo at least to see if there are nice improvements.

EDIT: It's "stupid" maybe to buy anything for it's cover, but PES it's that kind of game that is the same mostly every year (minor improvements overall), so I can decide to skip it without suffering... and they should choose wisely when using real people to publicize their games.

Konami trying to take a bite on EA's market share.

lol

03sho

As a general rule a cover isn't that important to me. But if I was 50/50 about buying a game and then saw they'd put a racist cheat who bites people on the cover, probably at considerable expense, that would influence my decision about forking over my money in that instance.
Buy it used?

Gameplay looks SO arcade. But that's what PES is known for...

Gameplay looked pretty fun to be honest, but FIFA is a lot more realistic in how it is played and how the players move in the field.

And to the cover debate, I agree. I was absolutely getting FIFA for Switch but that whiny little prick on the cover made me reconsider. I detest that player so, so much. Suarez, even though he is a thug and a ignoramus, is a lot more palpable.

And I would wait until you see and feel some PC gameplay, they have told us before that PC version is just like the others... Same with FIFA, FIFA actually delivered few years ago (would never have thought that!).

I miss ISS2, they should bring that back. Best arcade football game ever. Nintendo World Cup is the funniest one of course.

Jack cw

I don't know. Not sold on this.
I couldn't care less about the cover star, Konami thinks Braca as brand is strong enough to compete with Real, Bayern and United, who are all at EA now with their marketing.

Problem for me is, that while last years entry had some great freedom and good AI, the goalies were shit tier and the general tech (FOX Engine is great, but not here), especially the lighting and LoD were flat and very low (PS4). Animations are still bad and no physics (weather, clothing, fatigue that considerably affect the game in reality), outside of the ball left a rather bad taste for me. Too arcady even on Superstar mode, the old problem with rocket wings and the low budget presentation (commentary and general camera work, faces and animations) to keep me interested.

I was mostly PES the last decade, but the points above are as important as gameplay, which in PES's defence was very decent for a football game. But that alone was not enough to sustain interest more than 2 weeks.

2018 does exactly look like what I feared, even smaller budget from Konami and this game looks and feels like it is stuck in 2005.

Sweep14

Cuningas de Häme;246686606 said:

Gameplay looked pretty fun to be honest, but FIFA is a lot more realistic in how it is played and how the players move in the field.

Lol

Yeah whatever makes you feel good I suppose.

MisterR

Fifa gameplay was shit last year. PES was much better. Hopefully they've made some improvements to it this year. I did see they are trying to make the players more responsive. I hate that lag feeling with FIFA where you move the stick and they are so delayed in movement.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So hyped.

No PC demo though? Did a PC fuck KONAMI's wife?

Pleased they used gameplay in the trailer too....Unlike FIFA

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm like 90% sure that those whining about the cover had zero intention of buying the game anyway.

Pretty sure Coutinho is the cover star anyway? Unless its different in different regions. Getting it digitally on PC so I don't give a fuck anyway.

And to the cover debate, I agree. I was absolutely getting FIFA for Switch but that whiny little prick on the cover made me reconsider. I detest that player so, so much. Suarez, even though he is a thug and a ignoramus, is a lot more palpable.

And I would wait until you see and feel some PC gameplay, they have told us before that PC version is just like the others... Same with FIFA, FIFA actually delivered few years ago (would never have thought that!).

I miss ISS2, they should bring that back. Best arcade football game ever. Nintendo World Cup is the funniest one of course.
eppGl.gif

Jingo

Pes is my favourite football game, not buying cause suarez its on the cover... big lool, gotta love the kids .

jonnyp

Completely absurd statement.

PaulLFC

So hyped.

No PC demo though? Did a PC fuck KONAMI's wife?

Pleased they used gameplay in the trailer too....Unlike FIFA
I think no PC demo still stems from IIRC 2013 where the demo was modified to make match time longer and unlock about 300 teams to play with. Since then they haven't released a PC demo before launch.

Jack cw

Completely absurd statement.

He is totally right though.
PES has lost it's sim touch a few years ago, while FIFA tries to be more of a simulation since 2015. They are still away from it, but not as far as Konami. I mean teammate AI at least make runs into open space and tactics do have impact on balance.

This is a day one purchase for me. Loved the beta, the gameplay is already better than the fantastic 2017. And lol at people claiming this is worse than FIFA. Gameplay wise PES has been killing it since 2016.

This is a day one purchase for me. Loved the beta, the gameplay is already better than the fantastic 2017. And lol at people claiming this is worse than FIFA. Gameplay wise PES has been killing it since 2016.
2016 is probably the worst pes game of the ps4 era. R2/RT shot == guaranteed goal. The gameplay loop was the worst.

ornery

giphy.gif

Bumhead

Banned
He is totally right though.
PES has lost it's sim touch a few years ago, while FIFA tries to be more of a simulation since 2015. They are still away from it, but not as far as Konami. I mean teammate AI at least make runs into open space and tactics do have impact on balance.

Being pre-occupied with which game looks "realistic" or which is a sim or arcade always has been and always will be incredibly silly.

Football games don't look or play like a real football match. The kits, the players, the stadiums etc can add to the realism but the flow of the games themselves don't properly replicate real matches. They'd be really boring games if they did.

The best football games are the ones that best capture the spirit of football. The excitement, the unpredictable nature of it. That's what the likes of PES6 got right. Nobody could argue that game was even remotely a sim but it was a phenomenally good football game.

For me, PES has got back to that type of representation over the last few years and creates a vastly more satisfying game of football than FIFA as a result. "Sim or arcade" for me are narrow definitions that miss the point of what these games should be.

Top Bottom