• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Dinklage in Bungie's Destiny - That wizard came from the moon

Everyone saying he is bored sounding, or just phoning it in.

He plays a robot, perhaps they don't have emotions?

I think the performance is fine and fits well, just because he isn't the same character as Tyrian doesn't mean it isn't a good performance.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
That wizard came from the moon...
The darkness could be closer than we think...
I think I'm going to go take a... a little nap...

I like Dinklage as a film and TV actor, but does he have any experience prior to this doing pure voiceover work?

Horribad.

An actual robot voice like Dr. Sbaitso would be an improvement.

Letters being written to the screen to the sound of a typewriter would be an improvement.

All the big name voices sound disinterested. Like they're reading the lines over for the first time, pre-rehearsal, into the mirror, while shaving and holding a conversation with their significant other about the groceries they'll need to pick up later.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty terrible but I blame the script and direction. He plays a robot with dumb expository lines so what was he gonna do? Especially funny because Bungie did Guilty Spark, which is one of like 2 memorable characters from the hit HALO series of videogames TM

I think it's fine, he's a little floating robot, I don't see what he could really do that wouldn't be annoying. Suitably robotic, I don't see what the problem is. If it was a humanoid character with story etc then it wouldn't be suitable but for something that reads out objectives, fine.

Vlodril

I really like the actor on got but he is average at best and at times bad. At one point he says oh no its the hive or whatever and its extremely bad.

Unstable

He sounds so uninterested. The way he reads his lines is odd too.
"If you see something flying... ... You have to kill it!"
"The wizard... Is from the Moooon!"

I think the performance is fine and fits well, just because he isn't the same character as Tyrian doesn't mean it isn't a good experience.
But he DOES have some emotions. He expresses wonder or curiosity over some things, and then whenever anything exciting/action-related happens he sounds like he's bored out of his mind and not getting paid enough. Which is a shame, cus when he nails it, he nails it.

But he DOES have some emotions. He expresses wonder or curiosity over some things, and then whenever anything exciting/action-related happens he sounds like he's bored out of his mind and not getting paid enough. Which is a shame, cus when he nails it, he nails it.

Hmmmm, maybe I didn't play enough. I was just happy to hear a familiar voice in the game I guess. MAYBE I'M JUST A TYRIAN FAN BOY, OK!?

Dinklage is the voice of Ghost, which is the AI box that pops up to guide you. I expect AI not to have natural human inflection in it's speech. I think it's fine.

I thought it was average with a few really bad lines. For example when he say "There's the wizard," or something along those lines, I paused the game and started laughing.

MilkBeard

Dinklage is stunningly amazing on Game of Thrones. Like every single scene he is in is pure unedalturated joy.
So, no.

Yeah, and I enjoyed his place on the new X-men movie as well.

I'm not sure what he sounds like in Destiny, but he has a very particular voice that should be only used for certain characters. Bad casting, maybe?

Run-M-Run

I only heard some of him in the GB look and indeed it sounded very boring. I was surprised considering what Destiny drives to be.

Bad. Not only is it weird dialogue, but the delivery by Dinklage is flat.

"That wizard came from the moon!"

Jesus.
This needs to be youtube'd.

theWB27

I liked the monotone delivery. With all of the spectacle of the backdrops and gunfights and during it all there's this calm, collected voice. I dig it.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
He is really fucking bad in the alpha intro. Before the monsters come out he says "I have a bad feeling about this and When the monsters come out he says something like "I don't believe this.. It's the swarm" Lol his delivery on those two lines in particular is horrible.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I think the performance is fine and fits well, just because he isn't the same character as Tyrian doesn't mean it isn't a good performance.

Aren't the exo's robots? The ones you talk to at the hub don't sound completely bored.

Jesus, are those his lines? Who the hell can blame him from phoning it in. XD

Not the third one, but the first two, yeah. Those were some of the worst ones I heard.

Bad. Real bad.

Like, not good at all.

There's a way of doing a robot voice that sounds good. HAL 9000 and GERTY from Moon come to mind. Dinklage... is not one of them.

Az987

all good things
He's pretty bad. I recognize a few voices and they're all pretty meh. I'm pretty sure the PvP guy is Lennie James but I can't find a list of the voice actors anywhere.

SnakeEyez

Was thinking about this yesterday when playing it. He really phoned it in. Either that or he's not a really good actor (doubtful)

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm really hoping it's just because of the alpha because otherwise it's absolutely horrible and phoned in as much as you possibly can.

AlphaK

Kinda bad. It sounds like he's really phoning it in; like they told him to sound like a robot and he just said, "bleh, fuck it".

It doesn't help that i don't like Tyrion's character in GoT either.

Denton

Yeah, and I enjoyed his place on the new X-men movie as well.

I'm not sure what he sounds like in Destiny, but he has a very particular voice that should be only used for certain characters. Bad casting, maybe?

Well, I just listened to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKZ-YW3aLU

And...it is true. He is hilariously bad in this. Like, holy hell. The contrast of listening to him here and watching him on the show is unbelieveable.

Nokterian

Pretty awful to be honest and in pvp it also hilarious bad.

At this moment i prefer listening to Snoop Dogg or R. Lee Ermey in CoD Ghosts. At least those are fun to hear and even the standard voices are just as they do. Dinklage sounds so damn boring.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think this would be an excellent fix.
Yep, in fact it sounds like it's missing a filter they probably intended to use. It's like hearing C3PO talk in Anthony Daniels' unfiltered voice, it doesn't sound right.

Xamdou

I liked Peter Dinklage from Game Of Thrones and all, but his voiceover for that ghost robot is just horrendous. If they added a robotic filter or made the voice female, it would have been a whole lot better.

WarpathDC

When I hear him on Game of Thrones, it's often well done and even if he says something unremarkable he puts good force and emotion into it.

Whenever I've heard him in Destiny videos, it always comes off as uninspired and bored.

To people saying it sounds phoned in or that he half assed it, I'm guessing that's the sound they were aiming for. I'm not sure why, but it wouldn't be more effort for him to just deliver the performance the way they wanted it. He was obviously in a booth with someone telling him how to say it. They didn't just mail him a list of lines to read and let him have at it. I'm sure he sounds exactly as they intended.

Top Bottom