• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Molyneux: the sweet promises

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
peter_molyneux_lionhead_studios.jpg

Peter Molyneux, here is a big name in video games.
Unfortunately, he is also one of the most controversial creators: sometimes associated with prestigious titles like Populous or Black and White, sometimes associated with disappointments like Project Milo, the creator owes his ambiguous reputation to his tendency to get carried away by promises about his games in development.
Let's take a look on some of the biggest disappointments that this talented creator gave us.

Fable
fable-banner.jpg

First on the list, and also the best known, Fable is a very good RPG. Very likeable, rather innovative for the time, he had everything to be a success and start a good franchise.
Yes, but here it is, Peter Molyneux presented his game to us in a way too beautiful manner to be true: the character could make children, gain weight, build muscles using a sword, objects had to gain in statistics the more we used them, the world had to evolve autonomously by reacting to player actions, NPCs had to age, grow and die. Well ultimately, no.
All these features have never been added, not even in the suites.

The Movies
maxresdefault.jpg

Not a very well know game as this had a monumental flop, The Movies offered to manage a film studio and create his own movies with virtual actors and sets.
As usual, Molyneux is flaunted by promises: you will be able to produce almost professional films, the best of them will be presented at festivals, the best will even be entitled to a live adaptation.
Sadly, the game allows us to create our films, but the acting is appalling and the possibilities limited, and of course no adaptation or festival presentation has ever taken place.

Curiosity : What’s Inside the Cube ?
x1080.jpg

It's not really a game, it's a social experiment with an intriguing concept: in a single white room sits a cube made up of more than 68 billion cubes.
Each player must scratch each of the outer cubes in order to discover the central cube. Molyneux will promise among other things that the reward for the player who ends up reaching the center will be exceptional and will change his life forever.
Baited by such a promise, players will be in the millions trying to reach the center, and when that is done, the lucky winner, by the name of Bryan Henderson, is offered the opportunity to be the next God of the next God-Game by Molyneux, Godus, as well as a percentage of the winnings on the latter.
Sadly again, Godus will never be finished and the money never made it to poor Henderson's account.

Godus
91778f6b-a629-4ca8-89b8-1945afd77c4c.jpg

Finally, here is the last disappointment, and one of the most serious caused by the promises of Peter Molyneux: Godus.
When Molyneux landed on Kickstarter to promise to produce a God-Game, a genre he almost invented on his own, many wanted to believe him, because he had more than the capacity to keep his promises.
He will collect no less than 700,000 € and will get to work. But the disappointments keep coming: while the game was supposed to arrive first in the hands of backers, it will land first on Steam in early-access.
Then, while development is lagging behind and seems to be stagnating, it will land unexpectedly on IOs, in free-to-play, or rather in pay-to-win.
But it does not stop there: Bryan Henderson, the winner of Curiosity, is totally ignored, despite the reminders he sends regularly, the studio announces that there will be neither multi, nor linux version, despite the promises do on kickstarter, then a lot of kickstarter bundles will never be sent.
In the end, many developers will leave the studio without being replaced, and Godus looks like he'll never be finished.​

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We need him, and people like him, in AAA development. This "design by market research" crap has gotten out of hand.
You can go on Kickstarter right now to see a bunch of scam artists promise the moon, only to take your money and run. Or go ahead and “support” Star Citizen.

aries_71

He had charisma. I remember his speeches, and regardless of his exaggerations, he captured your attention from start to finish.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I feel like Molyneaux gets a bad rap today. He is one of the greatest video game designers ever. Populous, Dungeon Keeper, Magic Carpet, Theme Park, Syndicate, these are all brilliant games. The Movies and B&W are still great games even though they fell a bit short.

He's a true creative. He deserved to get criticized for his overpromising and underdelivering, but it came from a place of passion not cynical PR hype.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You can go on Kickstarter right now to see a bunch of scam artists promise the moon, only to take your money and run. Or go ahead and “support” Star Citizen.

That's not Peter Molynuex, Hideo Kojima, Ken Levine etc...

I'm talking about the AAA space, not kickstarter.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's sad that so many people really wanted to misunderstand his many roles and thus weren't able to contextually and fairly switch between them. I mean, the industry constantly pulled the guy in to talk about and demonstrate future visions and potential, but then faulted him for not reaching those same visions as "a developer". Must've been frustrating for him. It's easy to low-IQ shit talk around it and meme it though, which I guess is good for those who want to do that.

Last edited:

Quantum253

That Milo demo was so much shit. In fact, project "Natal" was mostly billshit and I think cost Microsoft a lot of credibility. Of course, Sony had their moment with the PS3 reveal and completely fake cgi gameplay. We got some good laughs though.

Project Milo E3 demo

Peter seemed to be the perfect salesman. Promising all this wonder and enchantment, but never delivering. Fable is still my favorite Lion Head studios game. I Think Fable 2 ended up being the best and the franchise went downhill afterwards. I recall other fable gamed being announced, but either not coming out or selling so poor they fell off the radar. I'm being cautiously optimistic about the new Fable

I forgot all about the cube game. I plucked away at that thing for days. I'm glad I have up and moved on because it was complete b.s. I feel sorry for Henry since he got screwed over. I don't remember where I watched the video, but Henry was being interviewed about the whole thing and was just given empty promises.

I miss the days that Peter would come out on the E3 stage and tease some grand experience, that was more than likely never going to happen. Or a video of how he was leaving gaming forever just to annoucne a new project a week or two later. I don't hear or see much from Peter anymore. I'm glad because I think, with today's social media, he'd probably be catching shit all day from gamers. Good memories though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's not Peter Molynuex, Hideo Kojima, Ken Levine etc...

I'm talking about the AAA space, not kickstarter.
I’m talking about there being lots of scam artists like Molynuex. I don’t see him being a brilliant creative. He’s a scam artist and I can’t imagine anyone bringing him up in the same conversation as Kojima.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That Milo demo was so much shit. In fact, project "Natal" was mostly billshit and I think cost Microsoft a lot of credibility. Of course, Sony had their moment with the PS3 reveal and completely fake cgi gameplay. We got some good laughs though.

I vaguely recall reading that the Natal hardware in prototype was far more advanced than the final shipping product - they ended up taking out a lot of built-in processing, moving that stuff over to software to cut costs and of course putting a hard cap on what it can do because of the 360's capabilities. So while people paid $100 for a shitty waggle camera, it was designed to do much more.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’m talking about there being lots of scam artists like Molynuex. I don’t see him being a brilliant creative. He’s a scam artist and I can’t imagine anyone bringing him up in the same conversation as Kojima.

I'll take "scam artists" like Molynuex over whoever runs EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc at the moment.

Lest ye forget the man made Populous, Black and White, The Movies, Fable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
His biggest success seemed to come 20-30 years ago when god simulators were synonymous with Populous and whatever other god games he made. Then some success with xbox Fable games 10+ years ago Fable 1 came out almost 20 years ago..

Aside from that, who cares about Peter M.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Peter seemed to be the perfect salesman.

Which was literally what the industry hired him for.. He wasn't a project lead in the latter years, and far from hands on, he was a creative consultant, basically a salesman for Xbox for a while. And so what? (rhetorical question, this reply is not really to you, but the general notion).

Quantum253

I vaguely recall reading that the Natal hardware in prototype was far more advanced than the final shipping product - they ended up taking out a lot of built-in processing, moving that stuff over to software to cut costs and of course putting a hard cap on what it can do because of the 360's capabilities. So while people paid $100 for a shitty waggle camera, it was designed to do much more.
Interesting. I've always wondered what that big grey bit, sitting on top of the Xbox 360 was. If the system could really produced interactions like that, It could have been a game changer. At least move that into the Xbox One to really solidify the 2nd gen kinet. I recall people talking about how advanced that camera was, but ultimately the person became a Wiimote

Quantum253

Which was literally what the industry hired him for.. He wasn't a project lead in the latter years, and far from hands on, he was a creative consultant, basically a salesman for Xbox for a while. And so what? (rhetorical question, this reply is not really to you, but the general notion).
I think that's a result of a real dreamer that sought to bring creations to life. I think it's a legacy new gamers will probably never experience. It's a shame that most couldn't be materialized. Being on the outside, I have no clue what forces or decisions might have kept these promises come to fruition, but it probably had something to do with money. I just miss the optimism and how the games were going to change everything you know about how they work and player interaction.

I remember reading articles about him in local gaming magazines, his visions were always so fucking crazy like almost "then player can fuck the PC from the DNA and it renders his lineage of 10000 years with A.I. from the year 5000 and game will also make you feel like the god!"

And then his games were just lame turds in the end

Last edited:
I remember reading articles about him in local gaming magazines, his visions were always so fucking crazy like almost "then player can fuck the PC from the DNA and it renders his lineage of 10000 years with A.I. from the year 5000 and game will also make you feel like the god!"

And then his games were just lame turds in the end

His games...were just lame turds? Are you under the age of 25? Cause he has created many legendary games in his career.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

The blokes a dreamer and a true creative, sure he's overshot in what his mouth promises and the project delivers, but we're increasingly heading into a world where game development is like IPhone development; annual iterations that don't rock the boat.

How many games incorporate the GTA minimap? Dick around with the same lame solutions to environmental interaction (Press X the Pull Chain), or follow the same boring, woke, hyper PC story arcs? Our entire hobby is being pasteurised and in 5 years time the likes of Molyneaux won't be ABLE to exist in this industry, let alone get critique for being a dreamer.

Tesseract

Banned
this is why you don't make promises

shaddup about what's in yer game, keep your head down and grind

indies should go even further, don't mention or show yer work to friends or family

even if it's already published and selling on steam or w/e, keep it to yourself

stay in the shadows

Last edited:

Flintty

Peter is/was a creative visionary. It’s a shame that he often talked too much about the things he had in his head that he’d like to do but often couldn’t live up to. But you can’t take away his earlier achievements.

The Cube and Godus though - yeah absolute con.

mrmeh

I briefly worked with a dev who had worked under him and he shared some amusing tales. He would just get over excited make stuff up in interviews, and then head back in the office and tell the team they had to do it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Obviously capable of coming up with some great games but definitely needed a minder to slap him when he started to get overexcited.

regawdless

Banned
He made some legendary games. But his visions were so unrealistic and out there, which oftentimes led to disappointment.

Visions are great, but some visions are not suited for games that need to be fun.

Top Bottom