• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore Confronts The Elite 8

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/08/04/536593.aspx

Earlier this week, Peter Moore gave a speech at the Ziff Davis Electronic Games Conference, called “The Elite 8: Eight Ways to Confront Elitism and Open Doors for Our Industry."

The theme of the conference was"Gaming to the 10th," a tribute to the exponential power of technological development that drives the rapidly expanding global videogames market. Attendees examined the state of the industry at all levels - from the very smallest statistics and micro tactics to the very largest macro trends and strategic thinking.

In his speech, Peter explained that our industry is becoming a little too elitist, saying we need to do key structural work to "open our doors." He presented our “Elite Eight,” eight ways we can shake up our industry, to make it more responsive, more in tune, open our doors, and lay the best foundation to grow the number of console gaming households.

1. Beyond The Boys In Their Bedrooms. Appeal to a much wider audience.
2. Don’t Pass The Buck On Rising Development Costs. We need to find ways to reduce costs and restructure our revenue models.
3. Rebel Without A Platform: Bring Aspiring Developers Into The Fold. For too long we’ve expected the developers of the future to claw their way up to us … we have to start coming to them and proactively develop a farm team of future stars.
4. It’s A YouTube World: Embrace Community Created Content. We’re control freaks when it comes to how games are delivered to consumers. We need more spaces where garage designers can get noticed.
5. Set Us Free. We should look at delivering new IP in new ways that recognize how powerful a concept shaping your own gaming experience is.
6. We’re Too Cool For School: Make Ourselves More Approachable. Games are more powerful, but less approachable. We need to make more games for more people. Expand demographics, online gameplay, strong family settings.
7. Lower The Total Cost Of Ownership With Choice. Consumer should have choices, starting at entry level, purchases should be upgradable, don’t lock consumers in.
8. Treat Windows Like A Gaming Platform. Windows as a platform reaches more people than any console ever will.

20681065696500431c2gx8.jpg]

20681066535fae74bfezz4.jpg

20681067821f692455fqq2.jpg

206810700f2574abe18pe6.jpg

2068107040f7b4997c3fd9.jpg

206810715a58b8599e4be6.jpg

206810597b09c293dd5ek5.jpg

20681060965e183cacbwo3.jpg

2068106166553ca9440lg3.jpg

jedimike

All those things seem like comon sense... but hey we got to pay execs to do something. I do like how they want to make Vista a gaming friendly platform. I was dicking around with beta 2 and was pleasantly suprised to see substantial upgrades to the classic windows games (solitare, minesweeper, etc.).

Stench

Banned
JB1981 said:
A company with ideas. I like.
Let's wait and see if any of this becomes a reality, which I somehow doubt.

The publishers have already shown to us that they don't enjoy taking risks very much.

jedimike said:
All those things seem like comon sense... but hey we got to pay execs to do something. I do like how they want to make Vista a gaming friendly platform. I was dicking around with beta 2 and was pleasantly suprised to see substantial upgrades to the classic windows games (solitare, minesweeper, etc.).

Yeah, there's a good bit of "pointing it out" in those. I'm interested to see how they'll get them actually up and running.

PC Kiosks? That would be pricey dropping those into every Gamestop/Best Buy/Wally World if you're going to want to flaunt your biggest baddest DirectX 10 behemoth.

jjasper

How does the 360 extend beyond the "boys in the bedroom." I just don't see it the only console doing that is DS.

xsarien

daedsiluap
ManaByte said:
It's bad because it's evil MS!!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of "futile." Windows isn't the problem with PC gaming, yearly video card upgrades and developers who crank out first-person shooters like they're going out of style are largely to blame.

The PC gaming industry did itself in with a nice sharp razorblade and a bathtub filled with warm water, I have no sympathy.

Tat

Banned
jjasper said:
How does the 360 extend beyond the "boys in the bedroom." I just don't see it the only console doing that is DS.

Boy in bedroom talking trash to another boy in bedroom over Live = going beyond the bedroom.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
20681066535fae74bfezz4.jpg

Translation: Copy nintendo, we got nothin

20681067821f692455fqq2.jpg

Nickel and dime em

206810700f2574abe18pe6.jpg

get to them before anyone else does

2068107040f7b4997c3fd9.jpg

Customization rocks when you get to sell it to people

206810715a58b8599e4be6.jpg

Please love viva pinata, we spent like shitloads of money on this crap. also dont be offended by the dumb microtransactions we will load this game up with.

206810597b09c293dd5ek5.jpg

We need to copy nintendo (number 2)

20681060965e183cacbwo3.jpg

segment the market in order to sell a few extra systems, also release a pointless add on to pointlessly combat the ps3

2068106166553ca9440lg3.jpg

hey guys remember WINDOWS!!!!?!?!

Tat

Banned
sp0rsk said:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1112/20681066535fae74bfezz4.jpg
Translation: Copy nintendo, we got nothin

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2707/20681067821f692455fqq2.jpg
Nickel and dime em

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6114/206810700f2574abe18pe6.jpg
get to them before anyone else does

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6545/2068107040f7b4997c3fd9.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2747/206810715a58b8599e4be6.jpg
Please love viva pinata, we spent like shitloads of money on this crap. also dont be offended by the dumb microtransactions we will load this game up with.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2770/206810597b09c293dd5ek5.jpg
We need to copy nintendo (number 2)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7819/20681060965e183cacbwo3.jpg
segment the market in order to sell a few extra systems, also release a pointless add on to pointlessly combat the ps3

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6032/2068106166553ca9440lg3.jpg
hey guys remember WINDOWS!!!!?!?!

:lol

/Thread

I have issues with 1, 6,7, and 8.

1 and 6 are pretty much the same once you see how much they overlap. The general idea within the industry about how to acheive this "expanded appeal" is to make games for dummies. Developers need to realize how to make simpler games with tons of depth without assuming we are idiots. Non-gamers are not people lacking the intelligence to program a DVD player. They have the same intelligence level as gamers.............they just aren't appealed to by the same content/subject matter.

7. Quit trying to justify the Tard pack. It earned its nickname for a reason.

8. I don't really have a problem with 8 so much as I don't think Microsoft will ever deliver much on it unless PC's and the Xbox platform are one and the same someday.

The rest are pretty solid ideas that I hope are pursued with vigor.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Fallofmart said:
Woah, a negative post from sp0rsk! Stop the presses!

no im actually very happy microsoft is atleast picking up on the things talked about in the pictures.

Andy787

Banned
In his speech, Peter explained that our industry is becoming a little too elitist, saying we need to do key structural work to "open our doors." He presented our “Elite Eight,” eight ways we can shake up our industry, to make it more responsive, more in tune, open our doors, and lay the best foundation to grow the number of console gaming households.

1. Beyond The Boys In Their Bedrooms. Appeal to a much wider audience.
2. Don’t Pass The Buck On Rising Development Costs. We need to find ways to reduce costs and restructure our revenue models.
3. Rebel Without A Platform: Bring Aspiring Developers Into The Fold. For too long we’ve expected the developers of the future to claw their way up to us … we have to start coming to them and proactively develop a farm team of future stars.
4. It’s A YouTube World: Embrace Community Created Content. We’re control freaks when it comes to how games are delivered to consumers. We need more spaces where garage designers can get noticed.
5. Set Us Free. We should look at delivering new IP in new ways that recognize how powerful a concept shaping your own gaming experience is.
6. We’re Too Cool For School: Make Ourselves More Approachable. Games are more powerful, but less approachable. We need to make more games for more people. Expand demographics, online gameplay, strong family settings.
7. Lower The Total Cost Of Ownership With Choice. Consumer should have choices, starting at entry level, purchases should be upgradable, don’t lock consumers in.
8. Treat Windows Like A Gaming Platform. Windows as a platform reaches more people than any console ever will.
I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION, PETER: SIGN FIVE MORE SCI-FI FIRST PERSON SHOOTING ACTION ADVENTURE BALD GUY TRILOGIES.

bengraven

ManaByte said:
It's bad because it's evil MS!!!!

Yes, I expect a lot Sony and PC fanboys to descend on this thread and only read what they want, making Moore out to be the villain they branded him as.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Andy787 said:
I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION, PETER: SIGN FIVE MORE SCI-FI FIRST PERSON SHOOTING ACTION ADVENTURE BALD GUY TRILOGIES.

This is beyond boys. This is men. This is....serious business.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined

But with Shadowrun, Microsoft has decided to release the game without this feature. Shadowrun was going to allow for PC users to make map, and XB360 owners download them. Because Shadowrun will be a Vista game, so LIVE ANYWHERE will let PC Vista and XB360 owners play together. Thats terific, but they are leaving out what would be the coolest part: the sharing of content between console and PC Vista owners.

blackadde

#1, 2, & 6: dumb down content and sell ad space
#4: get customers to provide aforementioned content for free
hidden #9: sell ad space for that too

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
M3wThr33 said:
Uhh. Newgrounds predates nearly every other site on the Internet. That's a "gaming YouTube," isn't it?
Pretty much. All they really need to do is get the standalone flash player officially included in the 360 firmware, set up an area for people to upload their files to the Live servers and then they'd have their YouTube of games.

You have to admit for someone high up in the industry to be discussing these basic tenants is very comforting (now the sincerity is a another thing all together). To me everything stated seems to be the total antithesis of the big gaming corporate machines. I think this prompts the discussion to get gaming under control before things spiral out of control. (Rising game development and console hardware costs are the first that come to my mind).If things keep going the way this next gen started I know I personally may start looking for a less expensive hobby. At this rate you be able to buy expensive golf clubs and afford a nice membership to an elite country club, before you can get your hands on a premium next gen console and a few quality games.

M3wThr33

Banned
Apharmd Battler said:
To me everything stated seems to be the total antithesis of the big gaming corporate machines.

No.

All of these are already in play. I don't know why this even exists.

1. Nintendo
2. Microsoft
3. Nintendo (DigiPen)
4. Newgrounds
5. LOL
6. Nintendo
7. Nintendo
8. LOL

Neomoto

Indeed..

1. Nintendo
2. Nintendo
3. Nintendo
4. Nintendo
5. Nintendo
6. Nintendo
7. Nintendo
8. Buy Windows :(

Tain

I wouldn't even consider calling Newgrounds the "YouTube of the gaming community", largely because I really can't think of any noteworthy Flash games.

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, game dev time is either short or long.
The opposite would be the IGF.
You can crank out a kid acting stupid in a day. A game takes much longer.

xaosslug

Wario64 said:
If you cross your eyes like a magic-eye painting, it almost looks like he's rolling his eyes in 3d

someone will take this post to heart and while away countless minutes in an effort to experience 3D Peter Moore rollseyes. :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
they include sony in that picture too! but have live under their own banner - nintendo didn't think any one was interested in one line until 8 months ago...

um, it doesn't say that - it specifically says "INSTEAD OF SENDING CUSTOMERS THE BILL"
... i think that's their whole point.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/654...b4997c3fd9.jpg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/274...b8599e4be6.jpg
wow - you've played it and know about their microtransaction plans?! tell us more!

see nintendo fans argument no. 1 : "Well, we didn't think of it first, but we WERE first to market with it"
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/781...183cacbwo3.jpg
lack of HD-DVD was done at the expense of expense! $299 base would not be possible without - adding in the HD-DVD gives a gimped choice, but a choice none-the-less. Not sure it's combatting Ps3, as i'm not sure people _are_ actually buying the PS3 for the Bluray capability (perhaps as an added bonus, but not the real reason)

Heaven forbid that they ignore those XX million PC gamers! ;)
;)

DCharlie

see - the other thing is (not so much in the UK/US but definitely in Japan) why code games , work stupid hours, and get paid fairly badly when you could take your C++ coding ability to somewhere like a finance house , work _potentially_ less hours albeit in a more stressful environment for 3-4 times the money?

I have no idea why the big US/Euro companies haven't opened coding farms here - it's just an easy option because you could nab a large amount of industry talent with 50% pay rises and STILL be paying less than low-tier US/Euro coders :/

(okay, sounds like EA have done this with their Roppongi studio for their fighting game, but no one else has)

beat

Tain said:
I wouldn't even consider calling Newgrounds the "YouTube of the gaming community", largely because I really can't think of any noteworthy Flash games.
What about FlOw or Grow or Xiao Xiao #4 (the Virtua Cop type game)?

But yeah, I've had way better luck being entertained on YouTube than NewGrounds, where Xiao Xiao's work is about the only thing I've ever liked on there.

DCharlie

i thought MS were working on their own broadcast system.... (?)

Kapsama

Wario64 said:
If you cross your eyes like a magic-eye painting, it almost looks like he's rolling his eyes in 3d
Holy shyt!:lol

xaosslug said:
someone will take this post to heart and while away countless minutes in an effort to experience 3D Peter Moore rollseyes. :lol
*guilty*:lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I would much rather hear these types of ideas rather than some of the arrogant and out of touch comments made by the bunch at Sony in the last 8 months. Moore seems much more down to earth and tangible and gives me confidence in where MS is going with X360 and Vista.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Andy787 said:

:lol

God, it only hurts when I laugh.

duk

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I would much rather hear these types of ideas rather than some of the arrogant and out of touch comments made by the bunch at Sony in the last 8 months. Moore seems much more down to earth and tangible and gives me confidence in where MS is going with X360 and Vista.

I agree. MS has been showing leadership and they are taking the industry further. Sony hasn't shown market leadership at all. Nintendo has a better vision even.

Top Bottom