• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petscop, the new (most likely) creepypasta pretends to be a PS1 game

Zubz

Banned
Part of me wants to play a puzzle game like the surface-level Petscop game right now. Any recommendations?

What the heck can a spinning red triangle even be? Very confusing. You can see the shape as it comes out of the box before it turns red and starts spinning.

Maybe there's a picture or text on it? The shape itself was unassuming, but he was explicitly blocking out something in the middle.

I think the censored stuff is personal stuff relating to the "Paul" character, which would explain why he's so rattled or a picture of a dead kid not sure

Persona7

Banned
The channel icon changed sometime after 1PM PST today. But why? It's the same as before except the little character is gone.

J-Spot

I imagine the author just hasn't had the time to work on it or found it too overwhelming to keep up with. It may well be abandoned like countless internet projects before it.

CookTrain

I don't know if my life has been made better or worse for having opened this thread.

Fascinatingly unrewarding at the moment.

J-Spot

So the channel's about page updated today. Naturally it raises more questions than it answers:

"Rainer" gave this gift to us on Christmas 1997 and 2000. It was the single longest day of our lives. We were all certain he was dead at the time. He had been missing since June 1997 and 2000.

We're not as concerned about these things now.

Please enjoy the recordings! We do. :)

Shifty

Lots of weird and mysterious stuff to discuss this time around. I bet the dates maked on those calendars are significant, but there's too much data there to really make sense of at the moment.

The narrative seems to be shifting more toward a group of people rather than just the one uploader, what with the strange description, name drops and reminscing on the part of the commentator.

And how about that camera change? Seemed like they're setting up for more subversive stuff and spooks.
The weird clipping in that sequence is typical of the PS1 Painter's Algorithm depth handling when coupled with a naive / hacky game-side implementation, which seems to be the implication here. The warping effect when the camera went through that one door looked pretty authentic to the affine texture mapping of times past too.
From a technical standpoint, this is either running on real PS1 hardware or the work of a fiendishly good graphics programmer.

I'll definitely take a look at this later. It looks like an elaborate creepypasta rather than a real game.

That's my take as well, having seen all of the content so far. I'm not generally one for the usual Ben Drowned / Herobrine nonsense, but this one has been well-executed enough to keep me hooked.

Holy shit I've been lurking r/Petscop like a maniac since it went silent, I was away for Christmas and I'll be watching this right now. I knew my dude would deliver the goods.

I actually unsubbed a couple of months after it went dark, the only reason I even knew about the new content is thanks to a dedicated friend!

Super glad it's back though, and it seems like the christmas period is hopefully going to tie in and actually justify the break.

Top Bottom