• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pew: Generation Z looks similar to millienials on social and political issues

• Thread starter Deleted member 77995
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Source
No longer the new kids on the block, Millennials have moved firmly into their 20s and 30s, and a new generation is coming into focus. Generation Z – diverse and on track to be the most well-educated generation yet – is moving toward adulthood with a liberal set of attitudes and an openness to emerging social trends. On a range of issues, from Donald Trump’s presidency to the role of government to racial equality and climate change, the views of Gen Z – those ages 13 to 21 in 2018 – mirror those of Millennials. In each of these realms, the two younger generations hold views that differ significantly from those of their older counterparts. In most cases, members of the Silent Generation are at the opposite end, and Baby Boomers and Gen Xers fall in between.
Some things to note
  • Strong majority of Gen Z and Millennials disapprove of Trump, think the government should do more to solve problems and believe increasing diversity (racial & ethnic) is good for society
  • Most people, regardless of age, don't know anyone who prefers being referred to by gender-neutral pronouns but over half of all Gen Z and Millennials are okay with using gender-neutral pronouns.
  • Liberals across the age range believe black people are treated unfairly. While the majority of young conservatives do not (57%), conservative Gen Z are twice as likely as conservative Boomers to believe black people are treated unfairly (43% to 20%).
  • Roughly half of all Gen Z, Millennials and Gen X believe the Earth is getting warmer due to human activity.
  • Over two-thirds of Gen Z, Millennials and Gen X say the country is going in the wrong direction.
  • Except for Millennials (46%) over half of all other age ranges believe ordinary citizens can do a lot to influence the government in Washington.
  • All generations and regardless of political leaning believe legal immigration is a net benefit to society.
  • 46% of Gen Z believe one should be careful of how one speaks so as not to offend, 53% of Gen Z believes people are too easily offended over language. Surprisingly, the Silent Generation lies closest with Gen Z over this topic.
  • Only 15% of Gen Z and Millennials believe gay and lesbian marriages are bad for society. Most commonly they believe it is a good thing (47%) while the rest (37%) don't see a difference.
  • On the topic of race mixing all generations overwhelmingly believe it is a good thing or don't care.
  • A little over 1/3 of Gen Z and Millennials believe single motherhood is having a negative impact on our society.
  • Nearly 4/5 of Gen Z, Millennials and Gen X believe that financial responsibility for a family falls equally on the father and mother.
  • Regardless of age or gender most people believe that more women running for political office is a good thing, however a sizable gender gap between men and women still exists.

It seems that as younger generations become more eligible to vote and older generations slowly die out Republicans face an uphill battle with appealing to the young folks. Polls like these do throw a bit of a wrench in the oft-repeated talking point of Democrats trying to import new voters by turning a blind eye towards illegal immigration or embracing more legal immigration. With or without an influx of a new demographic entering American society it seems Americans are gravitating on their own towards progressive policies and big-government intervention in the social and economical spheres.

Or perhaps there is some truth to the idea that people naturally become more conservative as they age?

One thing is for certain if this data is to be believed to be an accurate picture is that Trump will have a harder time getting reelected as more liberal younger voters will be voting next Fall.

Oct 21, 2016
Maybe in heavily blue states sure. Because in that case the millennial raised them that way. This article also does the very common deception of acting like there are next to ZERO millennials. and Gen Zers that are on the opposite site of the social and political isle, which is a very dangerous deception for a free country.

weltalldx

Feb 25, 2017
We are at a point where polling may be meaningless. It has become apparent that many conservative leaning folks are not responding truthfully or responding at all to mainstream news/polling. The data would only capture a portion of the population, while at the same time being misinterpreted and twisted by those that already have a confirmation bias/agenda.

If you ask someone whether they believe in freedom, equality under the law, and prosperity, most would respond affirmatively. If you frame the question such as : oppression, discrimination, tax break for rich, you're going to get a completely different response. Framing of the question and providing context is very crucial when trying to measure something as imprecise as emotion and feeling.

Last edited:

pramod

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
Why do they never ask the most important question, about illegal immigration?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
identity

thankfully nobody ever has thoughts on wealth redistribution or scaling back the wars or corporate greed. but yes let's pretend we're getting more progressive because of this handful of cherry picked, largely symbolic issues that have little to zero effect on actual policy

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
It's a poll, but it's generally indicative of what we've been hearing for a while: the newer generations are overall more compassionate, more accepting of people who don't look or act like them, and more respectful of science. Those are good things.... well, unless you're Republican, because you see your voter base shrinking with each passing year.

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
Are you telling me that after finishing school where they were told what to believe, they believe these things? How odd.

Also some of these are straight up meaningless or "bad"

Over two-thirds of Gen Z, Millennials and Gen X say the country is going in the wrong direction.
In what way?

All generations and regardless of political leaning believe legal immigration is a net benefit to society
Almost no one is against legal immigration.

A little over 1/3 of Gen Z and Millennials believe single motherhood is having a negative impact on our society.
This one is straight up sad, there's plenty of statistics proving that it is causing a negative impact, if only 1/3 believe it that's not really a positive thing.

Regardless of age or gender most people believe that more women running for political office is a good thing, however a sizable gender gap between men and women still exists.
Nobody opposes women running for office and or stem fields, people have a problem with diversity quotas and affirmative action.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Dismissing the societal views of people with no jobs, responsibilities, or real ambition is fairly easy

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Not surprising given that they’ve been taught by the same people that taught millennials as well as millennials themselves. The only thing that really concerns me is the increase in wanting top-down government intervention on social issues.

May 22, 2018
Its going to be a great day when the members of Congress are more from my generation than the older generations. I am hoping Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is just the beginning of that turning of the tide.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Prior to my getting into the trucking industry 5 years ago I barely squeaked by the threshold for paying federal income tax only once. I would wager the majority of working adults under 30 don't pay a dime of federal taxes beyond SS and Medicare.

State and local taxes are the choice of the taxpayer. I will not live in a State where I have to pay them for the same uselessness I experience in FL.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
identity

thankfully nobody ever has thoughts on wealth redistribution or scaling back the wars or corporate greed. but yes let's pretend we're getting more progressive because of this handful of cherry picked, largely symbolic issues that have little to zero effect on actual policy
What wealth inequality? The wealthy party leadership, media moguls and shareholders are getting their "fair" share. Can't have the plebs wanting more. Lets keep them bitterly tied up in a meaningless culture war.

quickwhips

Jan 26, 2009
Its going to be a great day when the members of Congress are more from my generation than the older generations. I am hoping Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is just the beginning of that turning of the tide.
I can’t wait till you grow up also. Not to say all your ideas are bad but you generalize so much. Feelings are not facts and as time goes on your views will change also.

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
Hasn't basically every new generations in recent history gotten better educated than the previous?
Define "better educated."

And if that were true, why all this constant gnashing of teeth and wailing about how education is failing and we need to do this or that or give so much more money to education...?

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
Prior to my getting into the trucking industry 5 years ago I barely squeaked by the threshold for paying federal income tax only once. I would wager the majority of working adults under 30 don't pay a dime of federal taxes beyond SS and Medicare.

State and local taxes are the choice of the taxpayer. I will not live in a State where I have to pay them for the same uselessness I experience in FL.
You would wager a majority of workers don't pay taxes.

C'mon now.

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Only 15% of Gen Z and Millennials believe gay and lesbian marriages are bad for society. Most commonly they believe it is a good thing (47%) while the rest (37%) don't see a difference.
Don't see a difference between what?

All generations and regardless of political leaning believe legal immigration is a net benefit to society.
Nobody opposes legal migration

Regarding other things - if you are being constantly told about something since the young age you are starting to believe it later.

I think the voting layout will fluctuate anyway.

Mar 18, 2018
You would wager a majority of workers don't pay taxes.

C'mon now.
I paid 24k in federal income taxes this year and I'll probably have to pay around 1000 in April. That is after swirling away 6% to my 401k. I paid about 2k in state income tax. I'll also pay nearly 2gs in property tax between my home and another property. And my county is 10% sales tax even on food items.

Most of Gen Z won't make a wage that I pay in income tax. And the government will barely take any of that. I work on a floor with 150 people just like me.

Dec 3, 2018
Hasn't basically every new generations in recent history gotten better educated than the previous?
Kids today are taught that history is just a parade of oppression, and this is hammered home at every opportunity. They no longer cover anything else. Very little on the humanities unless it is from oppressed people using art to fight their oppressors. Nothing about philosophy, the progress of science, or anything that shows a more well rounded understanding of how we got from there to here. One of my kids is doing a book report on Martin Luther King Jr speeches right now for her English class. I think they’ve cover MLK every year she’s been at school, multiple times a year, but she can’t tell me what the Renaissance was.

So, naturally, having this very one sided view of history, they get the warped idea that protests work as intended, the real heroes of history are the ones who wouldn’t sit in the back of the bus, and that a lack of compassion makes you no better than the Nazis. It’s only much later in life that they realize protests rarely make positive change in the most effective way, Rosa Parks was a publicity stunt, and that compassion is something only the middle class can afford.

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
I paid 24k in federal income taxes this year and I'll probably have to pay around 1000 in April. That is after swirling away 6% to my 401k. I paid about 2k in state income tax. I'll also pay nearly 2gs in property tax between my home and another property. And my county is 10% sales tax even on food items.

Most of Gen Z won't make a wage that I pay in income tax. And the government will barely take any of that. I work on a floor with 150 people just like me.
You're upset about making more money.

Got it.

Oct 27, 2005
Kids today are taught that history is just a parade of oppression, and this is hammered home at every opportunity. They no longer cover anything else. Very little on the humanities unless it is from oppressed people using art to fight their oppressors. Nothing about philosophy, the progress of science, or anything that shows a more well rounded understanding of how we got from there to here. One of my kids is doing a book report on Martin Luther King Jr speeches right now for her English class. I think they’ve cover MLK every year she’s been at school, multiple times a year, but she can’t tell me what the Renaissance was.

So, naturally, having this very one sided view of history, they get the warped idea that protests work as intended, the real heroes of history are the ones who wouldn’t sit in the back of the bus, and that a lack of compassion makes you no better than the Nazis. It’s only much later in life that they realize protests rarely make positive change in the most effective way, Rosa Parks was a publicity stunt, and that compassion is something only the middle class can afford.
I volunteer at a school in addition to my job, and this makes me very concerned. Would you please tell me which school district or city you're in? I'd want to call them to discuss this. Thanks.

May 22, 2018
Oh sweet summer child.
I get that small views may change, but I will be Left until the day I die. I would kill myself before I supported anything remotely Right leaning because I would know that will have lost my humanity if it ever came to that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I get that small views may change, but I will be Left until the day I die. I would kill myself before I supported anything remotely Right leaning because I would know that will have lost my humanity if it ever came to that.
Goodness, sounds just like somebody would say in a cult.

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire

Wouldn't the gutting of education be the result of Baby boomers voting for such in the 80s? Millennials are 20s early 30s so they wouldn't be able to enact these massive negative changes to the education system you're listing.

Seems like the voting fruits of Gen X and Baby Boomers coming to fruition and working as intended

Last edited:

bigedole

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX

Your property taxes are crazy low. Is that 6% capping out your yearly 401k contribution too?

Yoshi

Gold Member
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Well, if your opinion had changed, then certainly your evaluation of whether it is humane to think this will also have changed. However, if you keep your exact positions for 30 years, then you could move to the left or right because of a change in the political landscape and left / right are relative terms.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
Old timers telling at the clouds.

Let people be young.

Last edited:

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
Define "better educated."

And if that were true, why all this constant gnashing of teeth and wailing about how education is failing and we need to do this or that or give so much more money to education...?
I imagine it simply refers to more people getting college degrees than the previous generation. That can be true while simultaneously having major education issues, especially in poorer areas in the country.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
What happens when your views become "conservative"? Or will you just keep floating on the wind without principles like you already do?

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Were you standing on the improvised podium while saying that? :messenger_grinning:

Dec 3, 2018
They won't. But if by some disaster they did and I somehow didn't notice it myself I would count on my close friends and family to set me straight and get me back in the right path.
Churchill said: "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains"

While I'm sure you won't necessarily become a Trump loving Republican, don't be surprised if your views do change as you grow older. There will be a turning point where you differ in maybe just one minor way and those friends who you hope will keep you on the right path will become insufferable. That's the beginning of the end for every progressive, that moment when they realize their movement is more cult than ideology.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
They won't. But if by some disaster they did and I somehow didn't notice it myself I would count on my close friends and family to set me straight and get me back in the right path.
You do understand that conservatism has shifted just as much as progressivism has over the years right? So you will continually shift with whatever the current progressive zeitgeist is, even if it goes against previously held convictions?

That is why I say you have no principals.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2018
This seemed to be really one-sided. I look at most of those questions, and they seem to be the default opinions of just about anyone these days, including most of the members of this forum.

They just avoided all the questions that would really give an indication if the next generation is going to continue pushing more far-left aspects of the last.

Do you feel political correctness can often go too far? When it comes to race, do you feel teaching children "respect everyone / treat everyone equally" or "male privilege / white privilege " is the better approach? Should the government punish hateful speech and have the power to decide which speech is hateful? Do you think the government should take an active role in redistributing the wealth of its citizens?

Those sort of questions would be much more telling than "hey newer generations, are you more accepting of trans people than the old generation?" because of course they would be! Is there anyone here who isn't more accepting and supportive of transgender people than their parents?

Being socially progressive, especially as it relates to personal freedom and not judging others, is a GOOD thing. It's the other aspects of progressive liberals that can be concerning and divisive, which is why some refer to them as "the regressive left."