• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
Exactly. The only other side here is the one saying hate speech is okay. There's no gray area, it's right or wrong. They just know their damn audience and don't want to lose that $$$. Gaming community is embarrassing to be a part of.

EuWMP8Z.png

Liriks responses to his responses. Basically he's just trying to say 'everyones bad, stop pretending you're good'. Straight up reflection.

ffs lirik why do you have to be like this.

idk who this clown lirik is but he sounds like a huge piece of shit so fuck him too. why are these youtube people such trash.

usctrojan

Both of Liriks responses show how mentally immature and limited he is.

Consider both sides no one is an angel! But I'm not defending him just consider it guys! Some of you use slurs too.

Wtf? How unintelligent do you have to be to think you have a valid argument and bust out that garbage? Then again I've seen his stream and am not shocked.

Lmao just what

Who are the bad apples on the anti-racism side?

I am assuming he means the people that are being harsh about it like "fuck y'all for being assholes and condoning racism, you're fucking idiots" but there is no place for being polite to racists or racist sympathizers

Xater

He uses slurs about people with developmental disabilities on the regular. It's not that surprising he'd both side things when it comes to someone using a racial slur.

Yup, his use of the r-word has been bothering me. Watched him way less because of it and it's completely stopping now.

Boke1879

Re: LIRIK:

It's pathetic when someone's reaction to seeing a figure criticized for something like this is to broadly presume that everyone else does it. Which is both not an actual counterpoint and also a totally empty deflection that ignores the group of people targeted by the behavior in the first place. And just as much, that's a revealing window on how awful the people they surround themselves with must be. I don't blurt out racial epithets as a matter of course, "accidently" or otherwise. Those around me who aren't racist slime sure don't. If that language and intent has seeped into who you are to that degree, don't justify it. Confront and change it on a personal level. Otherwise, yes, you're a racist piece of slime.

Look at the people saying "everyone says it". You hear this stuff in online gaming lobbies, on PC etc.

It makes me think how often do they use or their friends. I mean it was pretty big back in the 360 days. Hell still is. When they say that. It's probably something they've heard countless times.

Xater

What is the middle between being a racist and not being a racist?

Ewww he says retard on the regular? As someone who plays games and has Cerebral Palsy he can eat shit.

Yup, the last time I watched for a bit it was really bad. Felt like a shitstorm of that word. It was also while being angry during PUBG. That game seems to show the true colors if people.

MattAces

I'm more upset knowing the fact that in a day or two, everybody will just forget about everything and move on, while these people gets another free pass until the next time it happens again. He will probably do a public apology insincerely and it will happen again.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Liriks responses to his responses. Basically he's just trying to say 'everyones bad, stop pretending you're good'. Straight up reflection.

Welp, screw this guy too.

I'm at the point where if I'm checking out a new game on Twitch, I automatically bypass the top few streamers on the list because they are almost guaranteed to be pieces of shit, or at least loud and obnoxious.

Much better to find some small-time streamer. The smaller streamers are much less likely to obnoxiously spew bullshit like a broken soundboard.

Tecnniqe

Banned
"No one is defending him, I'm pointing out the fact that both sides have their bad apples and need to stop acting like they are saints."

Context being that people need to stop acting like they've never said or done something stupid before.

I don't think hes pulling the classic "b-b-but both sides" argument here trying to defend him, like he said, merely pointing out the hypocrisy of some who only become outrage when it fits them.

Boogie on the other hand, is taking the b-b-but middle ground.

Where does that end though? Are popular YouTubers expected to speak out every single time someone acts like a piece of shit on the website?

If it's another YTer big enough to get their attention? YES. Peer pressure works.

It just feels like people are looking for more people to condemn.

When it comes to racism? Absolutely. Can't condemn enough.

I don't need SBF to condemn PDP because I know what kind of people they are. They aren't hateful and don't support racism.

Again, not explicitly condemning racists is the same as tacitly approving of them because it provides racists with a safe harbor. The only way to turn the tide of the culture is to make racism so radioactive that people are scrambling over each other to distance themselves from it.

Vlade

WTF is the other side of PDP saying the n-word?

if we all were just chill about it, this wouldn't be a problem for him. therefore people who won't go mind their own business are costing pdp money with their activist unwelcome crap. just let him say what he wants and let his audience decide if its ok. the people who wont just let this slide are the problem, they are just as bad as racists.

.... but, that really only works if you think propagating hatred is just as ok as not doing so, which really hurts to think about.

Gestault

I "love" when someone's script for defending the indefensible is so rote, so practiced, that they aren't even conscious of how nonsensical the statement they're making is. "Both sides have bad apples" in a case like this is legitimately nonsense. It simply doesn't follow.

galvatron

He actually brought out the both sides argument. Can't roll my eyes hard enough.

That was the most surprising part of all of this. I really want to hear what these guys think qualifies as racist behavior because I just don't know where the goal post could move...

flkraven

Diet racist

Sometimes your racism shows when you don't intend for it to. Allowances need to be given to these people, apparently

Some times you feel like being racist, sometimes you don't. Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds dont! Cuz sometimes you feel like it, and sometimes you...don't!

I think Boogie refers to the people who will get DMCA unfairly, because CampoSanto is setting a precedent.

Yeah, Boogie is talking about a non-existant problem instead of discussing PDP saying the n-word, in a pathetic way to shift the discussion instead of blaming PDP.

If it's another YTer big enough to get their attention? YES. Peer pressure works.

Again, not explicitly condemning racists is the same as tacitly approving of them because it provides racists with a safe harbor. The only way to turn the tide of the culture is to make racism so radioactive that people are scrambling over each other to distance themselves from it.

Again, not defending this really but a lot of them can't because contracts they signed forbid them from talking poorly about other YouTubers or "controversies" or they will lose their jobs.

The lack of perspective, ffs Lirik.

Oh and for those who know and watch CobaltStreak, somebody last night brought it up when Cobalt nonchalantly said, "peeeeewdiepie!" One person in chat brought it up and Cobalt said, "I don't care." Take that how you will.

A heads up for folks new to Twitch: the r word is used by alot, and I mean ALOT of streamers. I would avoid the big names and people with 500-1000 of viewers.

Gestault

The real problem with these influential Youtubers is that they are influential, and in PDP's case he is not remotely close to someone who should be influencing kids. The world is a confusing place for preteens and teenagers, and they are looking for context and answers to serious issues. They aren't sure exactly how to feel about certain issues. But when PDP or any of these youtubers make light of issues like white supremacy and racism, the kids compartmentalize the issues in a way that allows them to think "it's ok to use racist slurs in my normal language, people who get upset are the problem, not the use of the word." That influence leads to adopting a consistent worldview that aligns with PDP's racism, maybe that it's ok to be a bigot. Maybe it's ok to agree with white supremacists. Maybe it's true that people are all just too PC and SJWs are the real problem, etc.

This is especially well-stated.

Times like this , i think Youtube is a failure. They provided a platform that gives voices to shiity people and Kids can easily ,or are recommend to, watch them.

Youtube should stepup and demonetize more of these channels.

Joe T.

I don't spend any time whatsoever watching others play games on Youtube unless it's an official game reveal/showcase so I'm not familiar with the details, but has PDP gained 20 million subscribers since the whole anti-semitism thing blew up earlier this year?

flkraven

WTF is the other side of PDP saying the n-word?

"Maybe it just slipped out"

"Maybe he stubbed his toe"

"He obviously didn't mean it racially"

"It was just a gaming, heat-of-the-moment thing"

The same excuses that a child would give just before having some sense knocked back into them.

When it comes to racism? Absolutely. Can't condemn enough.

You're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom