• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Banned
Outside of a few twitter posts has anyone on YT come out in his defense yet? I suppose it's still too soon and they're in their editing booths working on those jump cuts.

you'll get a lot of small time alt-right youtubers jumping to his aid, but the bigger channels won't

They will either take a shitty middle ground stance, or just not say anything at all

The pure Irony of this is his defenders trying to say that the N-word is just a word so don't get outraged.

And yet they don't want people to call PDP a racist.

It's just a word and yet defense force?

One of the things I've learned from these kinds of discussions is that for some people there's absolutely nothing a person can do to make it acceptable to call them racist.

Use racial slurs as insults? It's just a word!

Chant "blood and soil" at a literal Neo-Nazi rally? It's just anxiety that we need to be understanding about.

Ridiculous.

If we're calling out content creators on this, I think it's fair to mention the Game Grumps as they do not censor cursing but yet have many episodes where they are censoring words. What could they be censoring if not profanity? Hmmm...

If we're calling out Game Grumps, the worst shit about the channel is all pretty much stuck in the past, and almost always from Jon. Modern Game Grumps uses content warnings and generally avoids the shit from Jon era.

The Dink

lol he's done

Nah, this guy ain't losing anything over this. I mean...JonTron had that "debate" where he put forward and defended many white supremacist talking points while he shared some of the worst-sourced "evidence" possible and laughed at his opponent's position. Where was the blow-back there? Playtonic faced more criticism for "censorship" after all. Sadly, I don't see any of his subscribers caring about this. The YouTube community is seriously fucked up in what it finds acceptable and what it doesn't.

Tagyhag

Outside of a few twitter posts has anyone on YT come out in his defense yet? I suppose it's still too soon and they're in their editing booths working on those jump cuts.

Also fuck anyone trying to equate what Ryan Davis did to this shithead. The way he handled that incident was the gold standard of showing true remorse and sincerity for doing something awful. Guarantee whatever PDP puts out won't even come close.

His YouTube friends won't come out to his defense.

They'll just stay silent about the entire thing.

It's an easy way to defend him without getting implicated.

Watch the twitters of H3, Mark, Jack ect. I guarantee you they won't say shit.

Aselith

Nah, this guy ain't losing anything over this. I mean...JonTron had that "debate" where he put forward and defended many white supremacist talking points while he shared some of the worst-sourced "evidence" possible and laughed at his opponent's position. Where was the blow-back there? Playtonic faced more criticism for "censorship" after all. Sadly, I don't see any of his subscribers caring about this. The YouTube community is seriously fucked up in what it finds acceptable and what it doesn't.

He lost his Disney contract over the Nazi shit. I think it's possible he could see some consequences if advertisers start raising a stink about it.

luulubuu

If we're calling out content creators on this, I think it's fair to mention the Game Grumps as they do not censor cursing but yet have many episodes where they are censoring words. What could they be censoring if not profanity? Hmmm...

Game Grumps is sometimes hard to watch because there are still elements that I disagree completely and some jokes out of tone and place.

He lost his Disney contract over the Nazi shit. I think it's possible he could see some consequences if advertisers start raising a stink about it.
Only if this starts to trend. I wonder if other "vloggers" with a following will have the spine to speak up. Who else has collaborated with the kid?

Boke1879

People like JonTron, Boogie, Akkad and maybe H3H3 will probably stay silent as fuck about this. Doubt they'd actually post anything.

He used the word that a lot of people draw a hard line against.

I look forward to seeing the mental gymnastics H3H3 will go through in order to still be Bros with Pewdiepie
Let’s be real, Ethan is exactly the kind of person that would use the n-word “ironically” in private, so of course he’s not going to take PDP to task for this.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
The only people who subscribe to him are kids who are, pardoned the word, indoctrinated by him, kids who don't know any better, adults who don't know any better, and racist shits.

It's why JonTron didn't take much of a hit when he went full white nationalist - by then, the people who cared left. Some left, but it didn't stop new people from subscribing.

Indoctrinated is exactly the right word to use.

I mean I guess it's a hair better than being overtly racist like Milkshake Duck Jontron, but being a covert racist is worse in some ways, especially because he is not held accountable for his behavior as most idols are.

That longer video got removed, anyone have another source? Or link to the Twitch stream?
Found a longer video (downloaded it just in case) having both instances of Pewdiepie saying the N word:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ro_wpRKpTU
0:35 and 4:42

He doesn't apologise or have any remorse. He just doesn't care. Whoever that other dude is in the stream is just enabling him even more. These white privileged racist trolls who don't have to care about anything.

7 years and this is the straw that breaks the back for you? To stan for some racist shithead youtuber?

hey look its my right to shout horrendous racial slurs over the internet okay, if you don't agree ur an sjw fag!!!!

also why do these weirdcunt posters all come out only on gaming side? for real

blakep267

Just saw Faze banks tweet. Dude is an idiot but he's followers are even dumber. "Words are just words". Yet a certain group of people cat stop saying it as a hurtful way. So clearly it's not just words.

Also he didn't have bad intent? He was angry at a player and wasnysing it as an insult. I swear these youtubes are all the same

The people defending pewdiepie on the grounds that he didn't understand the language context are paper thin. He lives in the U.K. Where I'm definitely sure it's not ok to say that word. His fans and his entire business operation function greatly in America.

As a European, did he also not realize it was ok to display a "death to all Jews" sign?

It's actually a weird mix of people defending him. Read the comment section of the video. There's so many "I'm black and I find this OK". Eh.

The fact that he's not speaking his native language and that it might be ok in his home country should not fucking matter at all. He knows what he said, he knows what it means, and he knows who has heard him say it; the majority of his viewers who are native speakers and are from a region where that word is in fact a big no no. His intentions don't matter. He knows or should know that there are people who will get hurt, regardless of the context. And there are very few contexts where it is ok and I'm thinking academical settings or discussions about the word, that sort of deal and I wouldn't feel comfortable even then.

This is coming from someone who has messed up in the past, out of ignorance, and I've tried to better myself. Unfortunately I still see many people around me who haven't.

FyreWulff

bugzapper.gif

every time with the homophobia being coupled with the racism and the posting of the words

Alo0oy

Banned
I wonder what the people that gave him the benefit of the doubt the last two times he did something racist/sexist would say now.

luulubuu

GAF talks about an important figure in the industry and how his voice can shape many things

Damn you SJW, you did this! I wont forget!

This is just an example but there are a ton of white pepe chuds who pretend to be black on the internet to win arguments....I think, idk its really obvious how white they are honestly

(example: trashy subreddit but good callout) https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/6z9sc6/chinder_chagger_pewdiepie_dagger/dmtrwsk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom