• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGS -- Windows 10 Game Handheld announced

MJPIA

WiFi sign is just that. The other words basically say "Please keep quiet".
Yeah I assumed that.
Its the ****-turbos under that I'm wondering.
I assume its either the network name or the password for the wifi and those usually have some link to whatever school/business/organization which could be some clue to where that was filmed at.
I just can't read the first part.

MUnited83

For you.
Ah hell this project was too good to be true, questionable with much fluff and little substance and over a 1000 people decided to back this instead of the GPD win.
At risk of sounding callous the people who backed it aren't my responsibility so I'm not gonna report it and am just gonna go along for the ride wherever it ends.

I wish I could read the first half of that thing on the post below the wifi symbol.
something 3 or 4 words long-turbos

Now that I think about it the investor that registered the pgs llc in the US has a Russia office.
Might be a start to look into it.

Speaking of that: it's ridiculous that this thread has more than double the views than the GPD thread does.

MJPIA

From some more back and forth with the anonymous person who found the info to be fair to PGS Artur Krants at least is real and he has been confirmed to be the finance guy and has been searching for investors so theres that at least.

jack....

Good news, they're planning on overclocking the CPU and adding active cooling

Hello our friends. I'm glad to tell you that we've found the way to retrieve about 50% additional performance for the needs of PGS from the Cherry Trail SoC. Now let's go through it in details:
As you may know, there are 2 engineers in our team - Nadir, the PGS founder and Sergei. Sergei is currently working on developing the new prototype version, we are communicating with components suppliers, potential investors, media and partners for upcoming manufacturing. Meanwhile, Nadir locked with test samples in his office 3 days ago and said not to disturb him. Today Nadir returned to us and he was really excited about what he has found. Here what he states:

It's already several days that I've been testing Voyo V3 and Surface 3 mainboards. In both cases the 4GB dual-channel RAM was used. There were thousands of tests, hundreds of combinations of BIOS settings. And I've come to interesting results:

Fact 1: Maximum z8700 CPU frequency is 2.4 GHz (z8750 is 2.56 GHz). Maximum z8700 GPU frequency is 600 MHz.

Fact 2: The Surface 3 which we were using to test performance so far, almost immediately after the game launch reduces the CPU frequency to 0.8-1.1 GHz and GPU frequency to 380-420 MHz.

Fact 3: Voyo V3 almost immediately after the game launch reduces CPU freq. to 0.6-0.8 GHz and GPU freq. to 200 MHz.

Fact 4: The above mentioned facts take place due to the SoC integrated system for power saving and heat protection.

Fact 5: Disabling this protection in BIOS led to SoC overheating after some time.

Fact 6: Intentional cooling the SoC by a copper radiator and tiny fan led to significant temperature decrease. In this case the CPU and GPU frequencies stay in fixed values of 2.4 GHz and 600 MHz respectively.

Fact 7: Without using the cooling fan, when only the radiator is present, we get the performance the same as we retrieved from Surface 3 tests. It is quite a decent performance which is sufficient for comfortable gaming the most PC games in HD resolution.

Fact 8: We can integrate a tiny cooling fan into Hardcore version, sacrificing the additional speakers. The same fan as in Fujitsu F07C. It is very silent, tiny and efficient, it produces almost no sound and it is activated only when enabling the "PERFORMANCE" mode. It can give us about 50% additional performance in games. And this is very cool!

What do you think?

Lemonte

I find this line quite funny.
Meanwhile, Nadir locked with test samples in his office 3 days ago and said not to disturb him. Today Nadir returned to us and he was really excited about what he has found.
They should make movie about this some day.

Meanwhile, Nadir locked with test samples in his office 3 days ago and said not to disturb him. Today Nadir returned to us and he was really excited about what he has found.

♫ Nadir [the 3D CGI artist] was called an engineer
(Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb)
He started the PGS campaign ♫
(Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb).

♫ Many people believed Nadir
And he conducted thousands of tests ♫

♫ Nadir was called a prophet
He found a way to put a high end rig in your pocket ♫
♫ Even though nobody else can confirm it

♫ And that's how the latest PGS update was written

200.gif

RUH ROH! PGS is caught in a lie!

How could Nadir lock himself in his office for three days if he's supposed to be in China negotiating with contractors and investors?

Credit to another user in the Kickstarter comments for noticing it and here's their explanation which resolves nothing.

chadskin

I also like this comment:
Has anyone commented on the fact that the head engineer spent 3 days locked in a room and the solution he came up with was a fan?

Is that not a problem? I'm not engineer, but to me that seems somewhat... basic. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

xD

Gr8one

I also like this comment:

xD

lol this is great. I also enjoyed they were doing test with other companies boards. Think your supposed to come up with a thermal solution on your own PCB and case, and of course cooling is important but that's common sense for any of these devices. You're going to get better results if the cpu isn't throttling itself. Good engineering work, excellent research, and hearty congrats to Nadir & co!

Glad some backers are realizing this project is a joke. As of right now their funds dropped $9,680 today and they lost 22 backers. First day of hopefully many when people realize that this kickstarter is a load of horseshit.

Lemonte

Why even bother making that video. Montage of games they have tested on surface tablet means nothing.

Surely they have working prototypes of the hinge and telescopic analog sticks? They should post videos of those since they don't require that custom pcb. But I bet they end up using circle pads instead and hinge is going to be just slide out without tilt.

Gr8one

The community manager just posted this video that is supposed to show games running on the PGS prototype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjkFttOpyK0

It is just edited together footage from other youtube videos. Some of the clips even have watermarks in them from wherever they stole them from. This is the best $1 I ever spent.

I can't believe they did that. I guess they didn't have enough time to show off more of that 3D printed frankenstein running games the games in the video at 15-25 fps.

The people defending them are complete morons. It's mind boggling someone does not have the mental capability to question the credibility of complete strangers and just hand over their money to them on the internet. This project is going to fail and their tears will be delicious.

edit:
New post on the comments from Evil Dragon (Pandora, Pyra, and RetroPi developer and just a swell guy)

am0SHIn.png

Q8tJOPH.png

They made an FAQ now. It has some pretty funny topics.

Here are my favorites:

What's the cause of so low price for the PGS?

The cause it that we can allow it to be that. We know the real production cost of our device, and we think it's a bad idea to get our backers overpaying for the exclusive status.

I have no words. Only laughter.

Have you heard about the GPD WIN? What do you think about it?

Yes, certainly. We think it's a great product which is developed by excellent experts. We sincerely wish a good luck to the GPD team in realization of their idea.

I just like this part because they keep using the phrase "excellent experts." I'm going to try to change my Kickstarter name to that.

Soon after the GPD WIN campaign on Indiegogo ended, they showed the working device prototype. Why haven't you shown us the finished device during the first days of your campaign?!!

Despite the nonsense of such question we get it quite often. First, the GPD company presented the prototype only after the Indiegogo campaign ended. Second, we are not related to the GPD company in any way. We have our own product and our own path.

I love how callous they are to these very real concerns in the comments. But it's amazing how their answers usually dodge the issue altogether, but not even in a way that seems intentional. It's almost like they just lack the ability to understand why someone would expect to see a prototype on Kickstarter.

Gr8one

That FAQ is a bunch of garbage formed into words with no real substance. I also think excellent experts is a fantastic name.

I had a bit of a meltdown on their comments due to their incredibly slimy and deceptive update video. They are now down bellow $350,000, great news in my mind. Some people are finally waking up to the BS.

NeOak

Holy.

I now clicked on this thread. OMG loool.

Really funny. It screams scam.

I'll buy a GPD Win when I can instead. lmao.

Subscribed.

In order to convince me to buy the PGS on Kickstarter, you have to show me the prototype which would be as much as possible similar to the final release device or the finished device itself.

We'd like to remind you that Kickstarter, being the world crowdfunding leading platform, is still not a shop in its concept. We are not selling the PGS here, we are collecting funds to support its development. And as a reward we will send backers the final device.

tumblr_nztrcbkjWJ1r9ee9go1_500.jpg

SDF-1

Banned
I should have read the latest posts before getting excited at the prospect of a portable dark souls device.

Someone make a dark souls capable handheld pls.

Jodast

I should have read the latest posts before getting excited at the prospect of a portable dark souls device.

Someone make a dark souls capable handheld pls.

Take a look at the GPD Win.

A real company with previous portable hardware released (GPD XD), the device actually exists and is in the hands of the public (via selected testers), uses the same processor this scam claims to use and is barely bigger than a N3DSXL.

MJPIA

Dear Backers, today we want to tell you more about prices of our portable gaming console.

Prices of first Light version devices will start from 230$

Prices of first Hardcore version devices will start 260$

Now we are going to explain you our decision to keep such prices, because as you can see these prices are pretty low for devices of such level.

• We are not greedy and we are ready to sell devices almost without profit to those users, who will support us at the first step. The price of the retail version of the console will be significantly higher.

• We are deeply grateful to the Microsoft Company, which provides Windows 10 OS for all devices with the diagonal of the display of 10” and lower on a free basis. It gives the full functionality of a personal computer to our portable console.

• We are also grateful to the Google Company for its Android Marshmallow OS, which is also provided to us on a free basis, giving us all their services and a huge library of games and apps.

• And of course, we have to say a big thank you to the Intel Company for the incredible performance levels and affordable prices of their solutions, which are significantly lower that prices of any similar solutions from other vendors. Furthermore, Intel kindly offered us their support in the development of our console, which allows us to make it even more powerful by using special versions of drivers and probable overclocking of the CPU.

Thanks to all these components and factors we are able to offer you such low prices for our portable gaming console, even though this device supports all modern technologies and standards, and in fact it’s a top class device in its field of the market.

Dear Backers, we are deeply grateful to you for your support and your investments in our project. Thanks to you, we are able not only to keep promises, which we made, but we are also able to make our console really unique and outstanding.

Best wishes,

The PGS Lab Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65sWYo_l_qw
Just a little test (GPU)
0:00-1:20 - Atom z8700 SoC With Copper Heatsink

1:21-3:02 - Atom z8700 SoC Without Copper Heatsink

Gr8one

Woke up to not one but 2 updates! I feel like a kid on Christmas! And both of them are nonsense.

I like how they have gone quiet on the comments. They are up to something. I wonder what craziness they have planned next?!?

jack....

They are for sure scrambling to get a more convincing fake prototype together right now. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

They're now posting encouraging comments about their project from obviously fake accounts. Good stuff.

Holy shit. This has officially crossed into just plain sad territory.

John Ardis about 2 hours ago
Great idea, hope for great realization! Creators, don't take seriously those competitors from other companies! Their comments are funny. Only constructive critics are valuable. Go your own way and do the best of you! I'm definitely looking forward to get such device.

Chris Paul about 2 hours ago
Yeah really, let's wait some more time, there may be issues in developing a complex device and there may be time delays as well, developers can't provide something brand new every day, let's be more patient, people. Maybe it is worth waiting.

Richard Heslin about 2 hours ago
Hey people, isn't it it a hasty decision to get back money? We can watch the project progressing further. Who knows, maybe they will make something new and great a week or 2 days before the campaign end. Regarding the potential of the whole idea of this project I will definitely wait more.

Good points made by this commenter:
jack about 1 hour ago
Look at all these fake accounts posting.
All joined May 2016.
All list locations in the US and generic US sounding names but speak broken English.
One may be the point guard for the Los Angeles Clippers?

And you guys still don't think they inflated their amount raised when it started off?

Even if they didn't use those accounts set up in May to self-pledge and are just using them to spam the comments, that in itself is grounds to suspend the project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=suspended
A project may be suspended if our Integrity team uncovers evidence that it is in violation of one or more of Kickstarter's rules, including:
— A party related to the creator is posing as an independent, supportive party in project comments or elsewhere

But then again, I don't want anyone to report this project, so please don't. I want to see what happens. Plus, it probably wouldn't do any good if they've been able to dodge the ban hammer this long with so many infringements and counting.

Jesus, I have no idea what they're trying to do here.

I really hoped that they were going to be the real deal, but the Kickstarter has been an utter mess. Even as a 'scam' it's so full of holes that I can't imagine they'd genuinely thought it wouldn't get picked up on, especially by the likes of EvilDragon (I'm a big fan of OpenPandora and loved my unit). And now they're relying on poorly conceived videos and fake accounts to rally support?

It's just so... dunderheaded.

And yet, it's partly worked. I guess that's what they were aiming for? If they scoop the bare min amount of cash (which they're well over) then they're happy? Free money, I suppose.

Gr8one

Did someone here really change their kickstarter name to "Excellent Experts" and start talking in broken English?

That was hilarious! There's so many people posting with broken English and joined in July and are only backing this project in the comments. I'm not sure who is real, who's a PGS member, and who's trolling anymore.

edit: Oh no Nico what have you done!

csysrW0.png

SCwROv9.png

MJPIA

@Gr8one
We are really working now. After the campaign ends things will go faster as we will start working with many other experts (partner company), which have a lot of expertise and resources in engineering.
Also keep in mind that this project is safe and backers shouldn't be afraid losing their money. We've already got all agreements according to which the investing side covers all risks and expenses. Even if we manage to produce the device which would be so much high quality that its cost exceeds the funds from backers, we will do it anyway and there will be no issues in financial part.
We hope for your understanding the situation.
The main task of our team before working with the manufacturing factory is to deliver you the concept and to prove that this idea is worth implementing. We've done it, even in this raw form. After this campaign ends the development of internals of finished device will be a responsibility of a large team of professional engineers (much larger than now), while we will thoroughly monitor the quality of the process.
I'd love for this to really be true just to see how large the bill is for a large team of outsourced professional engineers to make the entire thing, from its retracting sticks to everything else crammed in from scratch.
Hey at least that one guy won't have to lock himself in his office anymore.

Gr8one

I'd love for this to really be true just to see how large the bill is for a large team of outsourced professional engineers to make the entire thing, from its retracting sticks to everything else crammed in from scratch.
Hey at least that one guy won't have to lock himself in his office anymore.

100% agree, there is no way an investor would take on that much risk. That comment is just more BS for the pile. I'm going to quote Exophase on the Pyra boards as he has expressed this much better than I could:

Let's stop and think about this arrangement. The investors ask for a commitment of $100,000 in Kickstarter interest, to which they will provide potentially hundreds of thousands more. No strings attached.

This makes no sense.

$100,000 represents just around 400 buyers. That's nothing. Anyone with the slightest bit of market awareness knows that there's no barrier in getting hundreds or a few thousand people interested in this device.

Furthermore, all the KS does is show that people will buy at this very low price point. No one would reasonably conclude that this means the product will be a rousing success at a much higher price point, but this is what the investors are allegedly intending.

In the very best case scenario PGS is created by a competent and efficient yet very cheap team, and still costs a ton of additional investment because they've set the margins too low to cover the NRE (if they even cover the parts). So the investors get pure loss upfront, in the best case scenario. We all know how likely this actually is. You can read post-mortem after post-mortem of Kickstarter projects where the team had actual thorough engineering knowledge but entered a nigh-impossible nightmare once they faced mass production.

Look at how much PGSLab is struggling to convince their backers pledging a few hundred dollars that they have the necessary credentials to complete this device. Now imagine how an investor signing away potentially millions is going to feel. Are they going to put front so much risk without making them prove themselves first? No way. At best, they would give them just enough money to complete a real prototype, and they would provide it in very incremental steps where everything stops if they don't meet their milestones. They would not assume all this risk on an end product that these people probably can't provide. Not for a little bit of KS buzz and a paltry amount of pledge commitment. Especially not when the KS would have gone much better if they had done that work in the first place.

I lobbed them a softball trying to get any information that they have done anything in the way of sourcing components from suppliers or making any request for proposal to any engineering firms. Getting a positive answer is highly unlikely at this point, as they continually show that getting backers money is top priority and "soon" is the only answer to expect.

Top Bottom